- Nathan Gregory Silvermaster
Nathan Gregory Silvermaster Born November 27, 1898
Odessa, Czarist Russia
Died October 7, 1964(aged 65) Known for Silvermaster spy ring Spouse Elena Witte aka Helen P. Silvermaster
Nathan Gregory Silvermaster (November 27, 1898 – October 7, 1964), an economist with the United States War Production Board (WPB) during World War II, was the head of a large ring of Communist spies in the U.S. government. It is from him that the FBI Silvermaster File , documenting the Bureau's investigation into Communist penetration of the Federal government during the Cold War, takes its name. His wife, Helen and stepson, Anatole Volkov, were members of his ring.
He was identified as a Soviet agent in the WPB operating under the code names Pel, Pal, “Paul” in the Venona decrypts; and as “Robert” both in Venona and independently by defecting Soviet intelligence courier Elizabeth Bentley.
Silvermaster was born of a Jewish family in Odessa, Russia (present-day Odessa, Ukraine) in 1898. He moved with his family to China, where he learned to speak perfect English with a British accent. He emigrated to the United States and earned his B.A. from the University of Washington in Seattle (where he was “stated to be a known Communist”) and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, where his thesis was entitled Lenin’s Economic Thought Prior to the October Revolution. He became a naturalized American citizen in 1926. He was reported to be in contact with a very large number of Communist Party USA officials, and was active in a number of Communist front groups.
While nominally remaining on the employment rolls of the Farm Security Administration, Silvermaster arranged in 1942 to be detailed to the Board of Economic Warfare. The transfer, however, triggered objections from military counter-intelligence who suspected he was a hidden Communist and regarded him as a security risk. On July 16, 1942 the U.S. Civil Service Commission recommended "Cancel eligibilities ... and bar him for the duration of the National Emergency."
Silvermaster denied any Communist links and appealed to Under Secretary of War Robert Patterson to overrule the security officials. Both White House advisor Lauchlin Currie (identified in Venona as the Soviet agent operating under the cover name “Page”) and Assistant Secretary of the Treasury Harry Dexter White (identified in Venona as the Soviet agent operating under the cover names “Lawyer”; “Jurist”; “Richard”) intervened on his behalf. Silvermaster subsequently received two promotions and pay raises.
War Production Board
At the War Production Board, Silvermaster was able to provide the Soviet Union with a large amount of data on arms, aircraft, and shipping production. In June 1943, Silvermaster sent a War Production Board report on arms production in the United States, including bombers, pursuit planes, tanks, propelled guns, howitzers, radar and submarines, sub chasers, and the like, to Soviet intelligence. Then, in December 1944, the New York MGB office cabled another Silvermaster report stating: "(Silvermaster) has sent us a 50-page Top Secret War Production Board report ... on arms production in the U.S."
Silvermaster was associated with Harry Dexter White at the Bretton Woods conference, and his testimony before the US Senate Internal Security Subcommittee covers "175 pages of interrogation and exhibits" regarding his espionage activities in the U.S.
- August 1935 to November 1938 Farm Security Administration
- November 1938 to July 1940 Maritime Labor Board
- July 1940 to December 1944 U.S. Department of Agriculture
- 1942 to 1945 U.S. Department of Treasury
- mid 1945 Reconstruction Finance Corporation (became the War Assets Corporation)
- March 1946 resigned from government
The Silvermaster spy ring operated primarily in the Department of the Treasury but also had contacts in the Army Air Force and in the White House. Sixty-one of the Venona cables concern the activities of the Silvermaster spy ring. This represents 1% of the total (approx 6,000 cables) and 3% of the (2,000) translated/partially translated VENONA cables.
- Nathan Gregory Silvermaster, Chief Planning Technician, Procurement Division, United States Department of the Treasury; Chief Economist, War Assets Administration; Director of the Labor Division, Farm Security Administration; Board of Economic Warfare; Reconstruction Finance Corporation Department of Commerce
- Helen Silvermaster, wife
- Anatole Boris Volkov, stepson
- Solomon Adler aka Schlomer Adler, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Norman Chandler Bursler, United States Department of Justice Anti-Trust Division
- Frank Coe, Assistant Director, Division of Monetary Research, Treasury Department; Special Assistant to the U.S. Ambassador in London; Assistant to the Executive Director, Board of Economic Warfare; Assistant Administrator, Foreign Economic Administration
- Lauchlin Currie, Administrative Assistant to President Roosevelt; Deputy Administrator of Foreign Economic Administration; Special Representative to China
- Bela Gold, Assistant Head of Program Surveys, Bureau of Agricultural Economics, United States Department of Agriculture; Senate Subcommittee on War Mobilization; Office of Economic Programs in Foreign Economic Administration
- Sonia Steinman Gold, Division of Monetary Research U.S. Treasury Department; U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee on Interstate Migration; U.S. Bureau of Employment Security
- Irving Kaplan, Foreign Funds Control and Division of Monetary Research, United States Department of the Treasury Foreign Economic Administration; chief advisor to the Military Government of Germany
- George Silverman, civilian Chief Production Specialist, Material Division, Army Air Force Air Staff, War Department, Pentagon
- William Henry Taylor, Assistant Director of the Middle East Division of Monetary Research, United States Department of Treasury
- William "Lud" Ullman, delegate to United Nations Charter meeting and Bretton Woods conference; Division of Monetary Research, Department of Treasury; Material and Services Division, Air Corps Headquarters, Pentagon
- Harry Dexter White, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury; Head of the International Monetary Fund
- ^ Herken 2002, pg. 88
- ^ FBI SilvermasterFile 65-56402
- ^ 1017 KGB New York to Moscow, June 29/30, 1943, pg. 2
- ^ 888 KGB New York to Moscow, June 9, 1943, pg. 2
- ^ 1787 KGB New York to Moscow, 19 December 1944, pg. 1
- ^ FBI Report, Underground Soviet Espionage Organization (NKVD) in Agencies of the United States Government, October 21, 1946 (FBI Silvermaster file, Volume 82), pg. 12 (PDF, pg. 17)
- ^ FBI Report, op. cit., pgs. 21-23 (PDF pgs. 26-28)
- ^ a b Robert J. Hanyok, Eavesdropping on Hell: Historical Guide to Western Communications Intelligence and the Holocaust, 1939-45 (Washington, DC: Center for Cryptologic History, National Security Agency, 2005, 2nd edition), pg. 119 (PDF pg. 124)
- ^ 1251 KGB New York to Moscow, 2 September 1944, pg. 2
- ^ 83 KGB New York to Moscow, January 18, 1945, pg. 1
- ^ 1017 KGB New York to Moscow, June 29/30, 1943
- ^ FBI Memorandum L.V. Boardman to A.H. Belmont, FBI Operations of the MGB Residency at New York, 1944-45, November 26, 1957
- ^ 1821 KGB New York to Moscow, December 26, 1944
- ^ "Nathan Silvermaster, Economist Once Accused as Spy, Dies at 65". New York Times. October 15, 1964. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50D16FD355B1B728DDDAC0994D8415B848AF1D3. Retrieved 2008-06-01. "Nathan Gregory Silvermaster, a Government economist who was accused of having been part of a wartime Communist spy ring but never charged, died Oct. 7 at ..."
- ^ "A Cast of Characters". Time (magazine). November 23, 1953. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,860102,00.html. Retrieved 2008-05-31. "With William Ullmann as his business partner and housemate, Silvermaster now lives at Harvey Cedars, New Jersey, where he is a building contractor."
- Christopher M. Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin, The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB (New York: Basic Books, 1999).
- Gregg Herken. Brotherhood of the Bomb. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 2002.
- 746, 747, 748 Venona New York KGB to Moscow, May 25 1942 Data on construction and distribution of U.S. military aircraft.
- 1061, 0162, 1063 Venona New York KGB to Moscow, July 3, 1943, pg. 1 pg. 2 Numerical strength of the United States Army Air Forces.
- Richard C.S. Trahair and Robert Miller, Encyclopedia of Cold War Espionage, Spies, and Secret Operations (New York: Enigma Books, 2008) ISBN 978-1-929631-75-9.
- The Cold War International History Project (CWIHP) has the full text of former KGB agent Alexander Vassiliev's Notebooks, containing new evidence on Silvermaster's role in Soviet espionage in the United States
- FBI Silvermaster File 65-56402 (26,000+ pages)
- Silvermaster Group FBI FOIA (1,950 pages)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Silvermaster — may refer to:*Nathan Gregory Silvermaster Soviet Spy *FBI Silvermaster File 162 volume FBI archive on the Silvermaster spy group … Wikipedia
Silvermaster Group — One of the earliest and most effective espionage rings in the United States was established in the early 1930s by Nathan Gregory Silvermaster. Born in imperial Russia in 1898, he came to the United States in 1914 and earned a Ph.D. in… … Historical dictionary of Russian and Soviet Intelligence
FBI Silvermaster File — The FBI’s Silvermaster file [ [http://ultra secret.info/CSR/Holdings/Silvermaster/Silvermaster.htm FBI Silvermaster file 65 56402] ] is a 162 volume compendium of some 26,000 pages of documents relating to the Bureau’s investigation of Communist… … Wikipedia
Helen Silvermaster — Helen P. Witte Silvermaster (19 July 1899 December 22, 1991) was an accused Soviet spy.BiographyShe was born 19 July 1899 in Russia. Her father, Baron Peter Witte, was a counselor to the Czar and acted as advisor to the Mongolian government.… … Wikipedia
Elizabeth Bentley — Elizabeth Terrill Bentley (January 1 1908 ndash; December 3 1963) was an American spy for the Soviet Union from 1938 until 1945. In 1945 she defected from the Communist Party and Soviet intelligence and became an informer for the U.S. She exposed … Wikipedia
List of Soviet agents in the United States — List of Soviet agents in the United StatesThis is a list of spies who worked for the Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact nations, and Soviet aligned countries in the United States. The list is based on categorization of .Czechoslovakia (StB)*Karl Koecher,… … Wikipedia
Harry Dexter White — (October 9, 1892 ndash; August 16, 1948) was an American economist and senior U.S. Treasury department official. He was a primary mover behind the Bretton Woods agreement and the formation of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. A… … Wikipedia
War Production Board — The War Production Board (WPB) was established as a government agency on January 16, 1942 by executive order of Franklin D. Roosevelt. The purpose of the board was to regulate the production and allocation of materials and fuel during World War… … Wikipedia
Alexander Koral — was an American member of the Communist Party of the United States (CPUSA) who headed a network of spies for Soviet intelligence during World War II called the Art or Berg group. Koral wife, Helen Koral, also was involved with the group.The FBI… … Wikipedia
Anatole Boris Volkov — (29 October, 1924 28 November, 2000) was a courier for the Silvermaster spy ring between Washington, D.C. and New York City. AncestryHe was related to Count Sergei Witte, who was of Czar Nicholas II’s Finance Minister of Russia from 1892 to 1903 … Wikipedia