- List of attacks in Lebanon
This page contains a selection from the large number of attacks and other violent events in Lebanon since 1975, the starting year of the long-lasting Lebanese civil war.
* 1975, March 6 - The
Sunnipolitician Maarouf Saaddied. He was shot down on February 26, 1975 during a demonstration in Sidon. His death is considered to be a partial trigger for the start of the civil war.
* 1977, March 16 - Druze leader
Kamal Jumblattkilled close to his home in the Choufarea.
* 1978, June 13 -
Tony Franjieh, son of former president Suleiman Franjiehkilled in his own house by the Lebanese Forces.
* 1982, September 14 - Designated president
Bashir Gemayelkilled by pro- Syrian agent. His brother Amin Gemayelbecomes president of Lebanon instead.
* 1983, April 18 - The American Embassy in Beirut was bombed by a terrorist organization. 63 people, including 17 Americans lost their lives in this attack.
* 1983, October 23- The Beirut barracks bombing killed more than 200 American and french armed forces personnel.
* 1985, March 8- More than 80 were killed and 200 injured in a blast in the city.
* 1987, June 1 - Prime Minister
Rashid Karamikilled by bomb during a helicopter flight.
* 1989, May 16 - Head of
Sunnicommunity in Lebanon, Mufti Sheikh Hassan Khaledkilled by car bomb in Beirut.
* 1989, November 22 - President
René Mouawadkilled by car bomb, three weeks after becoming president.
* 1990, October 21 - Leader of the National Liberal Party
Dany Chamounshot dead in suburb of Beirut.
* 1992, February 16 - Leader of
Hezbollah Abbas al-Musawikilled by Israelin Jibsheet, a town in the south of Lebanon.
* 2002, January 24 - Former minister and militia leader
Elie Hobeikakilled by car bomb in Beirut.
* 2002, May 20 - Son of Mohammad Ahmed Jibril, leader of the Popular Front of the Liberation of Palestine killed by car bomb in Beirut.
* 2004, October 1 - Anti-Syrian Minister of Telecom
Marwan Hamadehescapes death when a car bomb fails to kill him, but kills his driver.
* 2005, February 14 - Former Prime Minister
Rafiq Haririkilled by car bomb. Minister Bassel Fleihanalso dies as well as 19 others. Over 220 people were injured.
* 2005, March 19 - 11 wounded due to car bomb in
New Jdeideh, a Christian suburb of Beirut.
* 2005, March 23 - 3 died from explosion in a shopping mall in
Kaslik, a Christian town north of Beirut.
* 2005, March 27- 6 wounded due to bomb attack in
Jal el Dib, a Christian town north of Beirut.
* 2005, April 1 - 12 people wounded when bomb exploded in
Broummana, a Christian village east of Beirut.
* 2005, May 7 - 1 dead and 22 wounded as result of explosion in
Jounieh, a Christian town north of Beirut.
* 2005, June 2 - Anti-Syrian Journalist
Samir Kassirkilled in Beirut by car bomb.
* 2005, June 21 - Former leader of the communist party
George Hawikilled in Beirut by car bomb.
* 2005, July 12 - Anti-Syrian Minister of Defense
Elias al-Murrsurvives car bomb targeting his convoy that killed 2 and wounded 12.
* 2005, July 22 - Car bomb explodes in
Monot, a nightlife area in Christian suburb of Beirut. Various people wounded and material damage.
* 2005, August 22 - Explosion in shopping mall and next to Maronite church in
Zalka, a Christian town north of Beirut.
* 2005, September 17 - Explosion in
Ashrafieh, a Christian suburb of Beirut, killing 1 and wounding 22.
* 2005, September 25 - Anti-Syrian Television journalist
May Chidiacloses arm and leg because of car bomb.
* 2005, December - Assassination attempt against a Hezbollah official.
* 2005, December 12 - Anti-Syrian Member of Parliament and journalist
Gebran Tuenikilled in suburb of Beirut by car bomb.
* 2006, February 2 - Attack on military base in suburb of Beirut, claimed by
Al Qaida. One person wounded and material damage.
* 2006, May 26 -
Mahmoud Mazjoub, also known as Abu Hamzah, leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihadand his brother Nidal killed by car bomb in Sidon.
* 2006, September 5 - A botched attempt to kill lieutenant
Samir Shehadeh, acting head of the Internal Security Forces in Lebanon, results in 4 dead and 5 wounded.
* 2006, October 11 - Attack with grenade on police station in Verdun, a suburb in Beirut.
* 2006, October 15 - 3 rockets fired in Beirut’s city center close to head office of UN, 6 wounded and material damage.
* 2006, October 25 - Bomb explodes next to embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, no wounded.
* 2006, November 1 - Grenade attack on police station in Verdun, second time in three weeks. No wounded.
* 2006, November 21 - Anti-Syrian Christian Minister of Industry
* 2007, February 13 - 3 people killed and 22 wounded when two buses exploded close to
Bikfaya, a Christian town northeast of Beirut.
* 2007, May 20 / September 2 - Almost 500 people, among which 169 soldiers and 250 militants were killed by heavy fighting between the Lebanese army the Muslim fundamentalist movement
Fatah al-Islamin the Palestinian refugee camp Nahr al Bared, close to the northern city Tripoli.
* 2007, May 20 - Car bomb kills one and wounds 12 people in
Ashrafieh, a Christian suburb of Beirut.
* 2007, May 21 - Car bomb explodes in
Verdun, a predominantly Sunni suburb of Beirut, wounding 10 and causing much material damage.
* 2007, May 23 - Explosion in shopping mall in predominantly Druze town
Aley, east of Beirut wounds 16 and causes much material damage.
* 2007, May 27 - Bomb explodes next to police checkpoint in Beirut, wounding two police officers, 1 soldier and two civilians.
* 2007, May 28 - Grenade explodes next to police station in
Zahleh, a Christian town in the Bekaa valley, causing material damage.
* 2007, June 3 - Fighting between Lebanese army and Muslim organization
Jund el Shamin Palestinian refugee camp Ain al-Hilwehin Sidon, killing two soldiers and two militants.
* 2007, June 4 - Explosion in
Sid el Bauchrieh, a Christian suburb of Beirut, wounds 10 and causes much material damage.
* 2007, June 7 - Hand grenades cause material damage in three different locations in Lebanon,
Koura, Beirut and Dahr al-Wahseh.
* 2007, June 7 - Car bomb in Christian town
Zouk Mousbehcauses 1 dead and 4 wounded.
* 2007, June 10 - Grenade tossed at police checkpoint near Tripoli causes material damage.
* 2007, June 11 - Unexploded bomb found near school in Christian Beirut suburb
* 2007, June 13 - Anti-Syrian Member of Parliament
Walid Eidoand his son killed in Beirut together with two bodyguards and six civilians.
* 2007, June 20 - One man killed and various wounded during fights between Sunnis and
Shiites in Beirut.
* 2007, June 24 - One soldier and six Muslim militants killed during fights in suburb of Tripoli] .
* 2007, June 24 - 6 Spanish
Unifilsoldiers killed by attack on their convoy in the south of Lebanon.
* 2007, July 16 - Bomb targets UN convoy in Tripoli causing material damage.
* 2007, August 2 - Lebanese army detects and disarms a
Katyusharocket, aimed at the UN Head Quarters.
* 2007, September 19 - Anti-Syrian Member of Parliament
Antoine Ghanemand 7 others killed by car bomb in eastern suburb of Beirut.
* 2007, December 11 - Grenade attack on school in Christian suburb of Beirut causing material damage.
* 2007, December 12 - Second man of Lebanese army
François al-Hajjand his bodyguard killed by car bomb next to presidential palace in Baabda, east of Beirut.
* 2008, January 8 - Irish
Unifilemployees injured due to bomb attack on their car next to Sidon.
* 2008, January 15 - 3 people killed and 20 wounded as result of bomb targeting the convoy of the American embassy.
* 2008, January 19 - Bomb attack on car of editor of anti-Syrian newspaper, liaised with Druze leader
Walid Jumblattcauses material damage.
* 2008, January 21 - grenade attack on judge causes material damage.
* 2008, January 25 -
Wissam Eid, a high officer in the Intelligence Service and tasked with the investigation of the murder of Rafiq Hariridied due to car bomb. Three other people 3 and over 20 got injured.
* 2008, January 27 - 9 people die during riots, later dubbed ‘Black Sunday’ between the army and
Shiitedemonstrators in suburb of Beirut.
* 2008, January 28 - Grenade attack on police stations in suburbs of Beirut, namely
Ain el Remaneh, Tayyouneh, Sabraand Mazda.
* 2008, January 29 - again grenade attacks on police station in suburbs of Beirut.
* 2008, February 2 - 2 soldiers got injured when their car came under fire in suburb of Beirut.
* 2008, February 3 - 2 employees of Druze party PSP are injured as result of being shot at.
* 2008, February 9 - House of Speaker of Parliament
Nabih Berriunder fire by unknown assailants causing material damage.
* 2008, February 9 - Guards of the parliamentary building in downtown Beirut got injured due to celebration fire after speech of
Hezbollahleader Hassan Nasrallah.
* 2008, February 10 - 2 employees of Druze party PSP are injured as result of being shot at.
* 2008, February 12 - Riots between Shiite and Sunni youth in suburbs of Beirut causing material damage.
* 2008, February 15-17 - Riots between Shiite and Sunni youth in suburbs of Beirut causing 1 dead, over 30 wounded and material damage.
* 2008, February 17 - Concussion grenade was thrown at
Druzeleader Walid Jumblat's Progressive Socialist Partyin Beirut's Musaitbehneighborhood.
* 2008, February 17 - Lebanese army soldier was wounded when a military checkpoint at the entrance to the northern Palestinian refugee camp of
Nahr al-Baredcame under fire.
* 2008, February 21 - Embassy of Kuwait in Beirut evacuated after threat to rocket the building. No rockets or bombs were found.
* 2008, February 23- 10 wounded during clashes between
Lebanese Forcesand the Syrian Social Nationalist Partyin north Lebanon.
* 2008, February 25 - bomb explodes in Shiite village in Aley region, no wounded.
* 2008, February 27 - Explosion in the south of Lebanon near Tyre wounds four.
* 2008, February 29 - car of Saudi-Arabian ambassador was hit by bullet, only material damage.
* 2008, April 20 - 2 Falangists were murdered and three wounded in
Zahleby supporter of pro-Syrian member of parliament.
* 2008, April 27 - A French socialist official was kidnapped by Hezbollah for four hours before being released.
* 2008, May 3 - Police finds unexploded grenade next to house of opposition MP
* 2008, May 3 - Unknown assailant throws grenade at the opposition's tents in downtown Beirut, no injuries or damage.
* 2008, May 4 - clashes between Sunni and Shiite youth in Corniche Mazraa, 5 injured and one house burned down.
* 2008, May 8-14 - 65 killed, over 200 wounded and much material damage (among which destruction of TV and radio station) as a result of Hezbollah's take-over of West-Beirut and fighting in the Shouf mountains between Hezbollah and PSP.
* 2008, May 26 - Clashes broke out between Shiite and Sunni Muslims after speech of Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, resulting in 25 wounded.
* 2008, May 27 - One soldier was killed when clashes broke out between pro and anti-government parties in
Dohat Aramoun, a village south of Beirut.
* 2008, May 31 - Suicide bomber killed who intended to attack an army post next to Palestinian refugee camp
Ain al-Hilwehwas killed by soldier before detonation.
* 2008, May 31 - Soldier killed at army intelligence post in
Abdehin north Lebanon.
* 2008, June 3 - Gunmen wearing police uniforms critically shot a supporter of Hariri's
Future Movementin Beirut's suburb Bir Hassan.
* 2008, June 8 - Heavy clashes in
Saadnayalin the Bekaabetween Hariri's Future Movementand Opposition leave 4 wounded.
* 2008, June 9 - Clashes in
Rawdain the Bekaabetween Hariri's Future Movementand Hezbollahsupporters result in 3 wounded.
* 2008, June 11 - Lebanese soldier seriously wounded while killing a suspect and arresting two who were trying to run through a military checkpoint outside Palestinian refugee camp
* 2008, June 16 - 3 people killed and 4 wounded during heavy clashes in
Saadnayalin the Bekaabetween pro- and anti-government supporters.
* 2008, June 22-23 - 10 people killed and 55 wounded during clashes between Tripoli's neighborhoods
Baal Mohsen(Alawites and Oppposition) and Bab Tabbaneh(Sunnis and pro-government).
* 2008, June 27-29 - Renewed fighting in Tripoli results in various people wounded.
* 2008, June 28 - 1 man killed and 29 wounded as result of bombing of a shop in Tripoli.
* 2008, July 8 - 5 people killed and 64 wounded during renewed fighting in Tripoli.
* 2008, July 18 - 1 person killed and 6 wounded during renewed fighting in Tripoli.
* 2008, September 11 -
Druzesheik Saleh Aridiwas killed in Tripoli
2005 Lebanon bombings
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of attacks by ASALA — This is a list of attacks by the Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia (ASALA) and Justice Commandos Against Armenian Genocide (JCAG). Between 1975 and 1985, a total of 84 incidents were recorded: 46 people were killed and 299… … Wikipedia
List of attacks attributed to Abu Nidal — Abu Nidal (Sabri al Banna) commanded a reputation as the world s most ruthless terrorist leader until the title was claimed by Osama bin Ladin in the late 1990s. Abu Nidal was primarily active in the 1970s and 1980s on the ultra hardline fringe… … Wikipedia
Lebanon — This article is about the country. For other uses of terms redirecting here, see Lebanon (disambiguation) and Liban (disambiguation). Republic of Lebanon اَلْجُمْهُورِيَّة اَللُّبْنَانِيَّة al Jumhūrīyah al Lubnānīyah République libanaise … Wikipedia
Lebanon bombings and assassinations (2004-present) — In recent years, a series of bombings and assassinations have struck Lebanon, most of them occurring in and around the capital, Beirut. The wave of bombings began with the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri on February 14, 2005,… … Wikipedia
List of Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel, 2010 — Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel … Wikipedia
List of United Nations resolutions concerning Israel — The following is a list of United Nations resolutions that concern Israel only or bordering states (such as Lebanon). [ [http://www.israel un.org/israel un/uneasyrelation.htm Israel and the UN An Uneasy Relationship] (Permanent Mission of Israel… … Wikipedia
List of battles since 2001 — List of battles: before 601 601 1400 1401 1800 1801 1900 1901 2000 2001 current 21st century 2001 ** Battle of Mazar e Sharif November 9 United States and Northern Alliance forces defeat Taliban forces in the city as part of the U.S. Invasion of… … Wikipedia
List of battles 1901–2000 — List of battles: before 601 601 1400 1401 1800 1801 1900 1901 2000 2001 current 1901 1925*1901 Balangiga Massacre September 28 Filipino guerrillas launch a surprise attack on soldiers of the 9th U.S. Infantry and massacred nearly all of them.… … Wikipedia
List of military operations — This is a list of missions, operations, and projects. Missions in support of other missions are not listed independently.World War I See also List of military engagements of World War I * Albion (1917) flagicon|German Empire mdash; German capture … Wikipedia
Lebanon — /leb euh neuhn/ or, esp. for 1, / non /, n. 1. a republic at the E end of the Mediterranean, N of Israel. 3,858,736; 3927 sq. mi. (10,170 sq. km). Cap.: Beirut. 2. a city in SE Pennsylvania. 25,711. 3. a city in N central Tennessee. 11,872. 4. a… … Universalium