- National Securities Depository Limited
National Securities Depository Limited Type Private Industry Business Services Founded 2003 Headquarters Mumbai, India  Key people Gagan Rai, Managing Director & CEO  Products Futures exchange Website nsdl.co.in
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), is the first central securities depository in India based in Mumbai. It is promoted by institutions of national stature responsible for the economic development of India and has established a national infrastructure of international standards that handles most of the securities held and settled in dematerialised form in the Indian capital market.
Although India had a vibrant capital market which is more than a century old, the paper-based settlement of trades caused substantial problems such as bad delivery and delayed transfer of title. The enactment of Depositories Act in August 1996 paved the way for establishment of National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), the first depository in India. It went on to established infrastructure based on international standards that handles most of the securities held and settled in de-materialised form in the Indian capital markets.
NSDL has stated it aims are to ensuring the safety and soundness of Indian marketplaces by developing settlement solutions that increase efficiency, minimise risk and reduce costs. NSDL plays a quiet but central role in developing products and services that will continue to nurture the growing needs of the financial services industry.
In the depository system, securities are held in depository accounts, which are similar to holding funds in bank accounts. Transfer of ownership of securities is done through simple account transfers. This method does away with all the risks and hassles normally associated with paperwork. Consequently, the cost of transacting in a depository environment is considerably lower as compared to transacting in certificates. In August 2009, number of Demat accounts held with NSDL crossed one crore.
NSDL is promoted by Industrial Development Bank of India Limited (IDBI) - the largest development bank of India, Unit Trust of India (UTI) - the largest mutual fund in India and National Stock Exchange of India Limited (NSE) - the largest stock exchange in India. Some of the prominent banks in the country have taken a stake in NSDL.
- Axis Bank Limited
- State Bank of India
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Citibank NA
- Standard Chartered Bank
- HDFC Bank Limited
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
- Deutsche Bank
- Dena Bank
- Canara Bank
- Union Bank of India
NSDL Facts & Figures
As on March 31, 2010
- Number of certificates eliminated (Approx.) : 702 Crore
- Number of companies in which more than 75% shares are dematted : 2670
- Average number of accounts opened per day since November 1996 : 3646
- Presence of demat account holders in the country : 80% of all pin codes in the country
- Central Depository Services Limited
- ^ The Times Of India. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/dda-scam-were-pan-cards-forged/articleshow/4180349.cms.
- ^ 16 Jun, 2008, 08.50PM IST,PTI (2008-06-16). "NSDL to conduct investor awareness seminars - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/stocks/market-news/nsdl-to-conduct-investor-awareness-seminars/articleshow/3134865.cms. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- ^ "NSDL". NSDL. https://nsdl.co.in/contactus.php. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- ^ "PL > FAQ >> Introduction to Depository and Demat". Plindia.com. http://www.plindia.com/FAQs/CDSL_1.htm. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- ^ "Promoters / Shareholders". nsdl.co.in. https://nsdl.co.in/about/shareholder.php. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Central Securities Depository — Ein Zentralverwahrer (auch Wertpapiersammelbank, englisch: Central Securities Depository) ist eine Gesellschaft, die die Verwahrung und den Übertrag von Wertpapieren in Form effektiver Stücke oder von Bucheinträgen (dematerialisierte Wertpapiere) … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Stock Exchange of India — National Stock Exchange राष्ट्रीय शेअर बाज़ार … Wikipedia
National Spot Exchange — Ltd Type Private Industry Business Services Founded 2005 Headquarters Mumbai … Wikipedia
National Judicial Academy (India) — National Judicial Academy Established Registered on August 17, 1993 Type Education, training and research institution Director Prof. G. Mohan Gopal Academic staff 23 Location … Wikipedia
Depository participant — In India, a Depository Participant (DP) is described as an agent of the depository. They are the intermediaries between the depository and the investors. The relationship between the DPs and the depository is governed by an agreement made between … Wikipedia
Securities and Exchange Board of India — Infobox generic name = Securities and Exchange Board of India sub0 = Securities Market Regulatory Body in India | img1 = SEBI Bhavan.jpg width1 = 300px cap1 = SEBI Bhavan, Mumbai Headquarters of SEBI| hdr1 = Organization Details lbl1 =… … Wikipedia
Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation — Type Private Industry Finance Ge … Wikipedia
National numbering agency — Eine National numbering agency (NNA) ist diejenige nationale Organisation, die für die Vergabe von ISINs des jeweiligen Landes verantwortlich ist. Es handelt sich typischerweise um nationale Wertpapierbörsen oder Wertpapierdienstleister. In… … Deutsch Wikipedia
National numbering agency — A national numbering agency (NNA) is the organisation in each country responsible for issuing International Securities Identification Numbers (ISIN) as described by the ISO 6166 standard and the Classification of Financial Instruments code as… … Wikipedia
National Credit Union Administration — Official seal Agency overview Formed March 10, 1970 Preceding agency … Wikipedia