- Ben (song)
Name = Ben
from Album = Ben
July 12, 1972
Recorded = 1972
Label = Motown
Writer = Don Black and
Producer = The Corporation:
Freddie Perren, Alphonzo Mizell, Deke Richardsand Berry Gordy, Jr
Last single = "
Ain't No Sunshine"
This single = "Ben"
Next single = "
With a Child's Heart"
"Ben" is a number-one hit song recorded by the teenaged
Michael Jacksonfor the Motown label in 1972. The song, the theme of a 1972 film of the same name (the sequel to the 1971 killer ratmovie "Willard"), spent one week at the top of the U.S. pop chart. It also reached number-one on the Australian pop chart, spending eight weeks at the top spot. The song also later reached a peak of number seven on the British pop chart.
The song became the first of thirteen number-one pop hits for Jackson in the
United Statesand his first number-one as a solo artist.
* The song was originally written for
Donny Osmond, but he was on tour and unavailable when it was time to record the single, so the song was offered to Michael Jackson.
* Though Jackson had already become the youngest artist to ever record a number-one ("
I Want You Back" with his brothers, The Jackson 5, in 1970), "Ben" made him the third-youngest solo artist, at fourteen, to score a number-one hit single. Only Stevie Wonder, who was thirteen when "Fingertips, Pt. 2" went to number one, and Donny Osmond, who was months shy of his fourteenth birthday when " Go Away Little Girl" hit number one in 1971 were younger.
* Jackson performed "Ben" in front of a live audience at the
Academy Awards ceremony, where it was up for the Oscar for Best Original Song in 1973.
* Kipp Lennon, who performed the singing part of Michael Jackson's character on "
The Simpsons" , sang "Ben" to Homer Simpsonin the episode " Stark Raving Dad".
* The band
Pearl Jammakes a reference to the song "Ben" on their 1993album "Vs." on the song "Rats", with the line "Ben, the two of us need look no more" repeated several times at the end the track.
* It has also been covered by the Irish group
Boyzoneon their album " A Different Beat".
* The song was featured in the TV movie "
Wedding Wars", sung by John Stamos' character at the wedding of his brother, Ben, and backed by a gay men's chorus.
* British singer
Connie Talbotcovered the song for her album, "Over The Rainbow"
* The song was covered in 2003 by
Crispin Glover, for the remake of the prequel to the film "Ben", "Willard". The music videofor the song is included on the DVD.
* Another cover of "Ben" was featured on the 2nd single of an up-and-coming Japanese singer, Stephanie, entitled "because of you".
* The song was spoofed in the television show "
The Wayans Bros." when it was sung by Marlon Wayansabout his rat named "Rufus".
*The song was sang by 9 year old autistic boy David Militello on the third season of "
America's Got Talent".
* In a second season episode of the North American version of "Queer as Folk",
Michael Novotnysings the opening lines to this song at a bar on karaoke night to his love interest, Ben Bruckner.
1985, Marti Webbreleased a cover version of the song, which reached #5 in the UK charts, as a tribute to the late Ben Hardwick, a young liver transplant patient.
* The Song was covered in 1990 from Silvy Melody at the Vlaamse showbizz TV Show De Kinderacademie.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.