- Jeremy Waldron
Jeremy Waldron (born October 13, 1953,
New Zealand) is a professor of law and philosophy at the New York University School of Law.
Waldron holds a B.A. (1974) and an LL.B. (1978) from the
University of Otago, New Zealand, and a D.Phil. (1986) from Oxford University, where he studied under legal philosopher Ronald Dworkin. He also taught legal and political philosophy at Otago (1975-78), Lincoln College, Oxford(1980-82), the University of Edinburgh, Scotland(1983-87), the Jurisprudence and Social Policy Program at Boalt Hall School of Lawat Berkeley (1986-96), Princeton University(1996-97), and Columbia Law School(1997-2006). He has also been a visiting professor at Cornell University(1989-90), Otago (1991-92), and Columbia (1995).
Waldron gave the second series of Seeley Lectures at Cambridge University in 1996, the 1999 Carlyle Lectures at Oxford, the spring 2000 University Lecture at Columbia, and the Wesson Lectures at
Stanford Universityin 2004. He was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciencesin 1998.
Waldron holds an adjunct professorship at Victoria University in his native
New Zealand. His students at Columbia University would place kiwi fruit on the lectern he taught from as a humorous comment on his Kiwi (New Zealand) heritage.Fact|date=June 2008
Waldron is a liberal in both the general and American senses of the word, and a normative legal positivist. He has written extensively on the analysis and justification of private property, the political and legal philosophy of
John Locke, and is an outspoken opponent of the American practice of judicial review, which he believes to be in tension with democratic principles. He has also criticized analytic legal philosophyfor its failure to engage with the questions addressed by political theory. In recent years, he has also been a noted opponent of legal arguments which justify coercive interrogation techniques. Fact|date=June 2008
* 1984. "Theories of Rights", edited vol. ISBN 0-19-875063-3
* 1988. "The Right to Private Property". ISBN 0-19-823937-8, ISBN 0-19-824326-X
* 1988. "Nonsense Upon Stilts: Bentham, Burke and Marx on the Rights of Man", edited vol. ISBN 0-416-91890-5
* 1990. "The Law: Theory and Practice in British Politics". ISBN 0-415-01427-1
* 1993. "Liberal Rights: Collected Papers 1981–91". ISBN 0-521-43617-6
* 1999. "The Dignity of Legislation", Seeley Lectures. ISBN 0-521-65883-7, ISBN 85-336-1896-4 (Portuguese translation)
* 1999. "Law and Disagreement". ISBN 0-19-924303-4
* 2002. "God, Locke and Equality". ISBN 0-521-89057-8
* 2001, "Normative (or Ethical) Positivism" in Jules Coleman (ed.), "Hart's Postscript: Essays on the Postscript to The Concept of Law". New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-829908-7
* 2003, "Who is my neighbor?: humanity and proximity," "
* 2004, "Settlement, return, and the Supersession Thesis," "Theoretical Inquiries in Law 5".
* 2005, "Torture and Positive Law: Jurisprudence for the White House," "Columbia Law Review 105".
* 2006, "The Core of the Case Against Judicial Review," "Yale Law Journal 115".
* [http://its.law.nyu.edu/faculty/profiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=cv.main&personID=26993 Home page] at
New York University.
*" [http://www.observer.com/node/51978 NYU's Big Raid,] " "
New York Observer", March 13, 2006 (on Waldron's appointment at NYU).
* [http://www.acsblog.org/international-affairs-marty-lederman-on-the-waldronyoo-debate-on-torture.html Debate] between with
John Yooon torture.
* [http://www.nybooks.com/authors/2082 Waldron archive] from "
The New York Review of Books"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jeremy Waldron — (né le 13 octobre 1953 en Nouvelle Zélande) est un spécialiste de théorie du droit et de philosophie politique, actuellement professeur à la New York University. Œuvres principales 1988, The Right to Private Property 1990, The Law:… … Wikipédia en Français
Waldron — is a surname, and may refer to:* Adelbert Waldron, United States Army sniper * Alfred M. Waldron, United States politician * Caroline Waldron, British actress * Duncan Waldron, astronomer and photographer * Henry Waldron, United States politician … Wikipedia
Waldron — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Patronyme Waldron est un nom de famille notamment porté par : Mal Waldron Ron Waldron Shawna Waldron Jeremy Waldron (né en 1953), philosophe… … Wikipédia en Français
Jeremy Bentham — Full name Jeremy Bentham Born 15 February 1748(1748 02 15) London, England Died 6 June 1832 … Wikipedia
Ronald Alan Waldron — Infobox Writer name = Ronald Alan Waldron caption = bgcolour = silver pseudonym = birth date = birth date|1927|1|9 birth place = Teignmouth, Devon, England death date = death place = occupation = Author|nationality = Britain genre = Medievalism… … Wikipedia
Constitucionalismo popular — El constitucionalismo popular es un importante cuerpo de literatura jurídica que ha ido emergiendo en los últimos años y que agrupa a un importante conjunto de juristas. Entre ellos, se encuentran autores como Larry Kramer, Akhil Amar, Jack… … Wikipedia Español
Jurisprudence — For the jurisprudence of courts, see Case law. Philosophers of law ask what is law? and what should it be? Jurisprudence is the theory and philosophy of law. Scholars of jurisprudence, or legal theorists (including legal philosophers and social… … Wikipedia
Matt Cavanagh — is an Associate Director at the Institute for Public Policy Research, working on UK immigration policy. From 2003 to 2010 he was a special adviser in the UK Labour government. He worked for Home Secretary David Blunkett; for Chancellor Gordon… … Wikipedia
H. L. A. Hart — Infobox Philosopher region = Western Philosophers era = 20th century philosophy color = #B0C4DE name = H.L.A. Hart birth = 1907 death = 1992 school tradition = Analytic main interests = jurisprudence, legal positivism, linguistic philosophy,… … Wikipedia
property law — Introduction principles, policies, and rules by which disputes over property are to be resolved and by which property transactions may be structured. What distinguishes property law from other kinds of law is that property law deals with… … Universalium