- Engineers Without Borders (USA)
Engineers Without Borders – USA (EWB-USA) is a
non-profitorganization established in 2000 to help developing areas worldwide with their engineeringneeds, while involving and training a new kind of internationally responsible engineering student. It is a member of the " Engineers Without Borders- International" network. EWB–USA projects involve the design and construction of basic infrastructure projects including, but not limited to water, waste-water, sanitation, energy, and shelter systems. These projects are initiated by and completed with contributions from the host community. An emphasis is placed on education during the projects so that the host community is trained and can operate and maintain the systems without external assistance. In this way, EWB-USA ensures that its projects are appropriate and self-sustaining. EWB-USA projects are completed by project teams organized by Student and/or Professional Chapters with technical oversight from a Technical Advisory Committee of composed primarily professional engineers.
Typically, student project teams integrate students, faculty, and
professional engineermentors to ensure sound engineering oversight. Professional project teams integrate professional and amateur engineers from across engineering disciplines.
Student Chapters are usually associated with university engineering programs and professional Chapters can be found in many cities. The role of professional chapters is changing rapidly in the organization. Traditionally, they existed to support Student Chapters and to facilitate the involvement of professional engineers in EWB-USA student projects. More recently, many professional chapters are shifting focus to professional projects while still maintaining a support relationship with the student chapters.
Engineers Without Borders was originally started in 2000 by Bernard Amadei, Professor of
Civil Engineeringat the University of Colorado at Boulderand now boasts over 250 professional and student chapters.
In 2007, EWB-USA partnered with the
American Society of Civil Engineersto promote international awareness in US engineers and to increase the humanitarian contributions of engineers. [ [http://pubs.asce.org/magazines/ascenews/2007/Issue_12-07/news4.htm] ASCE. Accessed 23 February 2008.]
* [http://www.EWB-USA.org Engineers Without Borders – USA ]
* [http://www.catapultdesign.org Catapult Design ]
** Catapult is the technology and design initiative of Engineers Without Borders - USA
:" [http://www.ewb-usa.org/chapters.php?name=&type=Student&state=&city=®ion=&x=18&y=17 List of all student chapters registered with EWB-USA] "
* [http://people.bu.edu/ewbexec EWB - Boston University]
* [http://ewb.byu.edu EWB - Brigham Young University]
* [http://www.ewb.calpoly.edu EWB - California Polytechnic State University]
* [http://ewb.case.edu/ EWB - Case Western Reserve University]
** [http://observer.case.edu/Archives/Volume_38/Issue_16/Story_607/ "Engineers Without Borders open to all"] - article in student newspaper emphasizing that more than just engineers are needed in the organization.
* [http://www.cuewb.org EWB - Columbia University]
** CU-EWB is currently involved in projects in
Orissa, Indiaas well as Sakyikrom, Ghana.
* [http://ewb.pratt.duke.edu/index.php EWB - Duke University]
** This chapter is currently pursuing projects in
Uganda, Honduras, and Bolivia.
* [http://www.fortlewis.edu/academics/school_arts_sciences/physics_engineering/ewb_webpage/ewbflc.htm EWB - Fort Lewis College] in Durango, Colorado.
** Working on projects in
* [http://www.ewb.jhu.edu/ EWB - Johns Hopkins University]
**Chapter currently working on projects in South Africa, Guatemala, and Ecuador
* [http://www.ewb-ksu.org/ EWB - Kansas State University]
**Chapter currently working on local project with
Sunset Zooand International project in Indiawith Grassroots India
* [http://www.lafayette.edu/~ewb EWB - Lafayette College]
* [http://ewb.groups.msoe.edu EWB - Milwaukee School of Engineering]
** Currently working in
* [http://www.ewb.neu.edu/ EWB - Northeastern University ]
* [http://www.ewb-osu.org EWB - Oregon State University]
* [http://ewb.rice.edu EWB - Rice University]
** This chapter is currently working on projects in
Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador.
* [http://ewb.rutgers.edu EWB - Rutgers]
** This chapter is currently working on projects in
Thailand, and El Salvador.
* [http://soerens.cveg.uark.edu/EWB/EWBNWA.htm EWB - University of Arkansas]
* [http://www.ewb-ub.org/ EWB - University at Buffalo, SUNY]
* [http://www.uc.edu/groups/ewb-ucin EWB - University of Cincinnati]
** Currently working on a water distribution and filtration project in
* [http://www.ewbhuskies.com/ EWB - University of Connecticut]
* [http://copland.udel.edu/stu-org/ewb/ EWB - University of Delaware]
**Currently working on a potable water project in Cameroon and developing a project in Guatemala
* [http://www.ewb-uh.org/ EWB - University of Hawaii]
* [http://www.ewb-uiuc.org EWB - University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign]
** Works on both international projects and outreach/education programs on the campus and in K-12 classrooms.
* [http://www.eng.umd.edu/ewb/ EWB - University of Maryland]
* [http://www.tc.umn.edu/~ewb/ EWB - University of Minnesota]
* [http://coecs.ou.edu/ewb/index.php EWB - University of Oklahoma]
* [http://www.pennewb.org/ EWB — University of Pennsylvania]
**PennEWB is currently working on water distribution projects in Mbengwi,
Cameroon; and Honduras;.
* [http://www.ewb-usc.org/ EWB - University of Southern California]
** Currently working on water distribution and filtration project in La Estanzuela,
* [http://www.engr.utexas.edu/ewb/ EWB - University of Texas at Austin]
** Currently working on water distribution and filtration and internet connectivity projects in
Coahuila, Mexico; Sieykin, Panama; and Cameroon, Africa.
* [http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/~ewob/ EWB - University of Toledo]
** This chapter is currently working on water distribution project in Los Sanchez,
* [http://www.valpo.edu/student/ewb EWB - Valparaiso University]
** Currently working on water distribution and crop irrigation in
Turkana Districtof Northwestern Kenya.
* [http://www.students.villanova.edu/egrorgs/EWB/ EWB - Villanova University]
** This chapter recently completed a water distribution, treatment and crop irrigation system in Northern
Thailandand is exploring potential international projects for the upcoming year. Villanova EWB also focuses on local projects and K-12 outreach programs.
* [http://www.ewb.org.vt.edu/ EWB - Virginia Tech]
** This chapter is currently pursuing three international projects. One in
Uganda, Guatemala, and Haiti. The chapter also focuses on local projects and K-12 activities.
:" [http://www.ewb-usa.org/chapters.php?name=&type=Professional&state=&city=®ion=&x=11&y=21 List of all professional chapters registered with EWB-USA]
* [http://ewb-boston.org/ EWB - Boston]
* [http://ewbboulder.org/ EWB - Boulder]
* [http://www.ewbhouston.org/ EWB - Central Houston]
* [http://ewbcentraltexas.org/ EWB - Central Texas]
* [http://chesapeakeewb.org/ EWB - Chesapeake]
* [http://www.ewb-chicago.org/ EWB - Chicagoland]
* [http://www.geocities.com/ewb_usa_connecticut/introduction.html/ EWB - Connecticut]
* [http://www.ewbdenver.org/ EWB - Denver]
* [http://www.ewbfc.org/ EWB - Fort Collins]
* [http://www.ewb-stl.org/ EWB - Gateway (St. Louis)]
* [http://www.ewb-gsl.com/ EWB - Great Salt Lake]
* [http://www.ewb-hpc.org/ EWB - Hartford]
* [http://www.ewb-jsc.org/ EWB - Johnson Space Center]
* [http://www.ewb-kc.org/ EWB - Kansas City]
* [http://www.ewb-la.org/ EWB - Los Angeles]
* [http://www.ewb-mn.org/ EWB - Minnesota]
* [http://www.ewbnewyork.com/ EWB - New York]
* [http://www.ewb-texas.org/ EWB - North Texas]
* [http://www.ewb-oc.org/ EWB - Orange County]
* [http://ewbportland.org/ EWB - Portland]
* [http://www.ewb-pugetsound.org/ EWB - Puget Sound]
* [http://www.ewb-rmp.org/ EWB - Rocky Mountain]
* [http://www.ewb-sfp.org/ EWB - San Francisco]
* [http://www.ewb-slo.org/ EWB - San Luis Obispo]
* [http://www.ewb-scalaska.org/ EWB - South Central Alaska]
* [http://www.eng.mu.edu/~ewb/wpp/ EWB - Wisconsin]
* [http://www.ewb-dc.org/ EWB - Washington DC]
:" [http://www.ewb-usa.org/Regions.php List of all Regions in EWB-USA]
* [http://www.ewb-greatlakes.org/ EWB - Greatlakes Region]
* EWB - Midwest Region]
* EWB - Mountain Region]
* EWB — Northeast Region
* [http://www.ewbsouthcentral.org/ EWB - South Central Region]
* EWB — Southeast Region
* [http://www.ewbwestcoast.org/ EWB - West Coast Region]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.