- List of road accidents
List of road accidents records serious road accidents: those which took a high
death toll, occurred in unusual circumstances, or hold some other historical significance. For crashes in which famous people died, please refer to List of people who died in road accidents. It should be noted that the prevalence of bus accidents in this list is a function of severity rather than of frequency.__notoc__
* 1771 –
Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot's second steam-powered vehicle is widely believed to have crashed into a wall during a test run, in what would have been the first automobile accident. However, it is disputed that this ever happened. [According to Georges Ageon – cite web|title=Le fardier de Cugnot|url=http://www.ile-de-france.drire.gouv.fr/vehicules/homolo/cnrv/histoire.htm – the earliest mention of this occurrence dates from 1801 and it does not feature in contemporary accounts.]
* August 31, 1869 – Mary Ward is thrown from and falls under the wheels of an experimental
steam carbuilt by her cousins, thought to be the first ever recorded automobile death.cite web
url = http://www.offalyhistory.com/content/reading_resources/famous_people/ward_mary.htm
title = Mary Ward 1827-1869
work = Famous Offaly People
publisher = Offaly Historical & Archaeological Society
accessmonthday = April 25
accessyear = 2006]
* 17 August 1896 –
Bridget Driscollis the first person to die in a petrol-engined car accident.
* 25 February, 1899 –
Edwin Sewelland Major Richerare the first recorded driver and passenger fatalities respectively. They are thrown from their vehicle on Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex, London.
* 13 September, 1899 – Henry Bliss is the first person killed by a car in the United States.
* June – An Army lorry crashes into a house at
Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire, killing 19 soldiers."Twenty-three Cadets Killed by Bus at Chatham", " The Times", 5 December 1951]
* October – A
United States Armybus collides with a lorry near Marlborough, Wiltshire, killing 10 soldiers and injuring 21.
* February 11 – A
Takase- KumamotoKyūshū Sanko regular route bus plunges into pond 40 feet below at Matsuo, Kumamoto, Kyūshū, Japan, killing 22, and injuring 18.National Police Agency of Japan]
* May – A bus and a
tramcollide in Glasgow, killing 7 people and injuring 43.
* November 7 – A regular route bus plunges 240 feet into the Mononobe river,
Mirabu, eastern Kochi, Shikoku, Japan, killing 33; another 24 are injured.
* July 15 – A Shimokawai-Chubutenryu regular route bus plunges off the Harada bridge,
Tenryu River, Urakawa, northwestern Shizuoka, Japan, killing 24.
* December 4 – Gillingham bus disaster: A bus plows into a column of marching marine cadets in
Gillingham, Kent, England killing 24 boys and injuring 18. [cite web|url=http://www.bopcris.ac.uk/bopall/ref9265.html|title=Road safety: report: bus accident at Gillingham| authors=Braithwaite, J.G.| publisher=Ministry of Transport| year=1952| accessdate=2007-06-27]
* 29 September – The brakes and gear box of a Belgian tourist bus fail on the downhill slope of the
Cauberg, near Valkenburg aan de Geul. The out of control vehicle hits a pedestrian, then a monument and a building. 12 people are killed instantly, 7 (including the pedestrian) die in hospital. [ [http://www.tvvalkenburg.nl/Busongeluk_1954.3686.0.html Busongeluk 1954] ]
* 12 November – The brakes of a Reunionese bus fail on the downhill slope of
Plateau-Caillou, in Saint-Paul. 27 people are killed, 23 instantly. 
* 28 February –
Prestonsburg bus disaster: A school bus in Floyd County, Kentuckyhits a wrecker truck and plunges down an embankment into the rain-swollen Levisa Fork River. The driver and 26 children die in what remains the worst school bus accident in U.S. history.
* 20 June – A crowded bus collides with a train on a level crossing in
Lauffen, West Germanykilling 45, the worst bus accident in German history. [http://www.wdr.de/themen/panorama/24/busunfall_a14/070619_chronologie.jhtml Chronik: Schwere Busunfälle in Deutschland] ]
* July 24 – A charter bus collides with a regular route bus, the charter bus plunging 270 feet into a valley along the toll road of
Mount Hiei, Otsu, Shiga, Japan, killing 30 and injuring another 18.
* – February 7 – A bus in Northland,
New Zealandleaves the road and hits a pole, killing 15. This is considered the worst road accident in New Zealand history. [ [http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/D/DisastersAndMishapsRoad/WaitangiDayBusAccident1963/en Waitangi Day Bus Accident, 1963] , "The Encyclopedia of New Zealand 1966"]
* – April 7 – A bus returning from a African church meeting plunges into the Tiva River,
Mitaboni, Machakos, Kenya, killing at least 72. Kenya Broadcasting Corporationradio report]
* January 1 A
Huancayo- Ayacuchoregular route bus plunges 300 feet into a ravine of the Mantaro River, Peru, killing 31.Fact|date=June 2008
* January 10 – A bus carrying
Zona Centrosoccer players and their families plunges 450 feet into a ravine on the outskirts of Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, Mexico, killing 19 and injuring 22. Notimexnews agency]
* February 3 – A regular route bus plunges 300 feet off a cliff along the
Mexico- Ciudad Juarezexpressway on the outskirts of Zacatecas, Mexico, killing 25 and injuring 40. Televisanews report]
* February 10 – A truck carrying 66 people plunged into a canal on the outskirts of al-Ayyat,
Egypt, killing 36. The truck driver is arrested on suspicion of driving without a license.Fact|date=June 2008
* February 18 – A Naples-
Salernoregular route bus plunges 50 feet into a ravine on the Naples- Pompeiiexpressway near Mount Vesuvius, Italy, killing 17 and injuring 60. ANSAnews agency]
* November 1 – A crowded trolley bus plunges into
Nile Riveron the outskirts of Dokki, Giza, Egypt, killing 74. [ [http://timelines.ws/countries/EGYPT.HTML Timlines of history: Egypt] ]
* December 6 – Two trucks carrying United Nation Peace Keeping Force workers collide at
Sotouboua, Togo. Togoleseauthorities claim 125 are killed. [ [http://www.historyorb.com/today/search.php?day=6&month=December&year=All+Years&e=1&start=0 Search the Today in History Archives ] ]
* 25 July – A bus carrying Belgian children from vacation plunges off a West German
autobahnbridge and crashes on its roof. 33 are killed, including 27 children and the bus driver who fell asleep behind the wheel. Only 4 people survive. [ [http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-e/eeuw/1966/1966_13.html Een eeuw in beeld - 1966] ]
* October 7 –
Dorion level crossing accident: 19 are killed when a schoolbus is hit by a CN train in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada.
* December 15 –
Silver Bridgecollapses under heavy traffic in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, killing 46.cite journal
author = Seim, Charles
year = 2008
month = May
title = Why Bridge Have Failed Throughout History
journal = Civil Engineering
volume = 78
issue = 5
pages = 64–71, 84–87
url = http://www.ASCE.org ]
* January 6 – A passenger train hits a low-loader transporter and derails, killing 11 and injuring 45 in Hixon, England.cite book | last=Ministry of Transport | year=1968 | title=Report of the Public Inquiry into the Accident at Hixon Level Crossing on January 6, 1968 | publisher= HMSO | id=ISBN 0-10-137060-1 | url=http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docSummary.php?docID=74 ]
* August 18 – Due to heavy rain, two charter buses crash into the
Hida Riveron national highway route 41 in Gero, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, killing 104.
* June 6 – A regular route bus navigating a sharp descending curve on a narrow mountain road near
Baler, Aurora, Quezon, Philippines, plunges into a ravine and bursts into flames. 40 people are killed and another 32 are injured. GMA Networknews report]
* June 21 – An overcrowded vehicle carrying 35 workers crashes at
Mahradah, Al-Amam, Syria, killing 25 people. Syrian Arab News Agency]
* September 27 – A regular route bus plunges off a mountain cliff on the outskirts of Myongju,
Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea, killing 15 and injuring 20. Munhwa Broadcasting Corporationreport]
* November 22 – A bus plunges into a creek on the outskirts of Reconquista, Santa Fe,
Argentina, killing 56. Arteartelevision news report]
* 10 May – A crowded bus plunges off a 30 foot cliff, crashing into a reservoir on the outskirts of
Kapyong, northeastern Gyeonggi, South Korea, killing 75.
* 10 May – Two local buses collide head-on on the Pinotepa National Highway,
Florencio Villarveal, Guerrero, Mexico, killing 30; another 30 are injured.
* September 5 – According to South Korean "
Dong-A Ilbo" newspaper, a Masan- Jinhaeregular route bus carrying 30 passengers onboard, where crashed 50-yard off a mountain road at outskirt of Jinhae, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea, killing 17 and injuring 16.
* September 17 – According to Spanish television TVE, a bus carrying Canadian tourlist head on collided with a truck at outskirt of
Valdepenas, Ciudad Real, Spain, killing 17.
* November 5 – According to "
Kyunghyang Shinmun" newspaper of South Korea, a local bus plunged a 900 feet-high mountain slope at Yeongdo-gu, Busan, South Korea, killing 26 and injuring 30.
* November 8 – According to
BBTV Channel 7of Thailand, a local bus head on collided with atruck at outskirt of Korat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand, killing 27 and injuring 20.
* December 18 – According to
Egyptian" Al-Ahram" newspaper, a trailer truck carrying local workers plunged into irrigation canal at outskirt of Aswan, Egypt, killing 50.
* February 15 – According to Filipino police, a
Batangas- ManilaLaguna transit bus collided with a truck, and plunged at Barrio Calamba, Lagana, Philippines, in an incident caused by exceed speed, killing 13; another 41 are injured.
* February 18 – A crowded bus carrying 90 students overturns and plunges into an irrigation canal at
Benha, Kfar Saad, Egypt, killing 77.
* March 22 – In
Congers, New York, five Nyack High School students are killed and 44 injured when a train hits a school bus that failed to stop at a crossing. This incident led New York State to require school vehicles to stop at all railroad crossings.
* 25 August – In a sudden dense fog on highway
A16near Prinsenbeek, many cars and trucks collide. 13 lives are lost in the crash and subsequent fires. [ [http://www.zero-meridean.nl/ramp_sel.html#25aug72 Kettingbotsing A16, Prinsenbeek] ] After this accident, a fog warning system was installed along the route. Nevertheless, almost 20 years later a similar accident happened.
* September 23 – According to the National Police Agency of Japan and Japanese
Fuji Television Network, an Akakura- Togakushiregular route bus carrying 82 passengers onboard plunged into a ravine at Shinano, Nagano, Japan. The NPA reports that this road is single lane. 15 are killed, and another 67 are injured.
* January 1 – According to
Television Nacional de Chile, a bus carrying Condor soccer club of Curicoplayers and fans skidded on a sharp curve and plunged into the Chimbarongo River, on the outskirts of San Fernando, Colchagua, Chile. The bus was returning from a Chilean soccer league second division match; 35 were killed in the crash.
* July 18 – A bus carrying Belgian tourists plunges into a ravine in
Vizille, France, killing 43. [http://www.quid.fr/2007/Transports_Divers/Accidents_De_La_Route/1 Accidents de la route] ]
* October 13 – According to
All India Radio, a regular route bus plunged off a bridge on the outskirts of Hazaribash, Bihar, India, killing 74.
* November 10 – According to
BBTV Channel 7of Thailand, a truck carrying 60 workers plunged off a steep road on the outskirts of Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai, Thailand, killing 40 and injuring 20.
* 28 July – A crowded bus and a truck collide near
Belém, Brazil, killing 69.
* September 8 – According to
Telefetelevision of Argentina, a bus returning from religious pilgrimage ran off a road and plunged 750 feet into a canyon on the outskirts of La Vina, Santa Fe, Argentina, killing 32.
* January 1 – According to the Japanese
National Police Agencyand Japanese media, a charter bus carrying 62 passengers plunged 100 feet into Aoki Lake, Omachi, Nagano, Japan, killing 24.
* March 1 – According to
Kenya Broadcasting Corporation, a Nairobi- Mombasaregular route bus blast at downtown Nairobi, Kenya, killing 26, another injuring are 60, where blamed on Kenyan People Liberation Front terrolist group.
* April 2 – According to La Deuxieme Chaine television of France, a bus carrying French pilgrims plunged 120 feet into the
Ramache Riveralong the A58 highway, Vizille, Rhone-Alpes, France, killing 28, and injuring 17.
* April 20 – According to Italian
Rai Unotelevision, at least 27 vehicles crashed within 15 minutes on the Naples- CasertaAutostrada del Sole expressway on the outskirts of Naples, Italy, killing 11 and injuring 53.
* 27 May –
Dibbles Bridge bus crash, England: a bus full of pensioners falls off a bridge near Hebden, North Yorkshire, killing 32. [cite web | url=http://archive.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/2000/5/20/153289.html | title=Dibbles Bridge: 25 years on | date=2000-05-20 | accessdate=2008-03-06 | work=Telegraph & Argus | publisher=Newsquest Media Group ]
* June 15 – According to
Austrian ORFtelevision, a bus carrying elderly tourists plunged 120 feet into a ravine on the outskirts of Villach, Carinthia, Austria, killing 21 and injuring 23.
* July 29 – According to the Mexican Red Cross and Notimex news agency, a passenger bus carrying religious pilgrims plunged 200 feet down the side of mountain before coming to rest. The crash was at Chalma,
Veracruz, Mexico, killing 18 and injuring 30.
* 13 September – A crowded bus plunges off a cliff in
Costa Rica, killing 48.
* March 10 – According to
Guatemalan police, a regular route bus lost control due to brake failure and plunged down a mountain side in central Escuintla, Guatemala, killing 38; another 14 are injured.
* May 21 – A bus carrying the
Yuba City High School a cappellachoir flies off I-680 in California, killing 28 students and a teacher. [ [http://timelines.ws/20thcent/1976.HTML Timeline 1976] ]
* October 31 – According to
Indonesian " Kompas" newspaper, a tourist bus head-on collide with a mini bus at outskirt og Bogor, West Java, Indonesia, in an incident caused by tourist bus driver has brake failure, killing 34 and injuring 25.
* November 14 – According to
Brazilian Rede Globotelevision network, a bus carrying municipal election candidate and supporters has plunged into river near ferry terminal at Manaus-Itacoatiara expressway, Uruara, Para, Brazil, killing 38.
* November 15 – According to Lesotho government official report, a bus swept by flash flood in Tsoaing River, Thaba Pechela,
Mafeteng, Lesotho, killing at least 90.
* November 21 – According to Antenne 2 (present day of
France 2) television, a mentally school bus returning from Edward Seguin Children Medical Center's meeting, plunged into Rhone River, outskirt of Lyon, France, at least 14 killed.
* April 3 – According to "Al-Gomhouria" newspaper of Egypt, a crowded bus skidded off the road, and plunged into irrigation
Kassed Canalwhere runa parallel to the road at outskirt of Tanta, Nile Delta, Egypt, killing 19.
* June 9 – A truck crashes into a crowd at a downtown Moscow bus stop, killing eight and injuring 18.Oberg, James E. "Uncovering Soviet Disasters: Exploring the Limits of Glasnost." New York: Random House, 1988: 106. ]
* August 11 – According to the Japanese
National Police Agencyand NHKtelevision, a charter bus plunged 120 feet into a ravine at Nagatoro bridge, Kofu, Yamanashi, Japan, killing 11; another 39 are injured.
*flagicon|Thailand January 1 – According to
BEC Newsof Thailand, a truck carrying many passengers collided head-on with a bus on the outskirts of Nong Bua Daeng, Chaiyaphum, Thailand, killing 25; another 86 are injured.
*flagicon|Colombia January 3 – According to
Radio Cadena Nacionalof Colombia, a Villavicencio- Bogotáregular route bus plunged 130 feet off a cliff on the outskirts of Quetame, Oriente, Colombia, killing 30; another 16 are injured.
*flagicon|Brazil March 9 – According to
SBTtelevision network of Brazil, a Brasilia-São Paulo regular route bus collided with a gasoline tank truck on the Faria Lima expressway near Barretosin the state of São Paulo, Brazil. The bus driver swerved and lost control, and the vehicle burst into flames, killing 19. Another five are injured.
*flagicon|Spain July 11 –
Los Alfaques Disaster: in Sant Carles de la Ràpita, a tanker containing 45 m³ of liquefied propylene leaves the road and veers into the Los Alfaques camping site after colliding with a building. The resulting fire ball is over 100 m in diameter and kills at least 215 (some sources speak of 216 or even 270), and injures 200 people. [ [http://www.unizar.es/guiar/1/Accident/Alfaques.htm Accidente de Los Alfaques (San Carlos de la Ràpita, España)] ]
* 4 August – A bus carrying mentally handicapped people plunges into a lake in
Eastman, Quebec, Canada killing 40. Only seven survive. [fr icon [http://www.historiatv.com/emission/tragedies/1646639/ Catastrophes Sur Les Routes] ]
* February 12 – According to
Bulgarian news agency BTA, an Ohrid- Izmirregular route bus carrying 50 passengers onboard failed to make a curve and plunged into the Marica Rivernear Sofia, Bulgaria, killing 25.
* February 18 – According to the
Costa Ricanpolice, a 40 passenger bus and an 18 passenger bus collided head-on at San Isidro, Heredia, Costa Rica, killing 16, with 39 injured.
* 3 March – 23 are burned to death when city bus 62 catches fire in
Minsk, Belarusafter driving into a pool of gasoline spilled from a fuel truck. [ [http://mk.by/archiv/28.09.2006/rub7.php Minskiy Kurier article (in Russian)] ]
* March 5, – According to
Press Trust of India, a bus slammed into a banyan tree, before bus trying over take a truck at outskirt of Krishnanagar, West Bengal, India, killing 32 and another injuring are 42.
* 9 May – 35 are killed in the Sunshine Skyway Bridge disaster,
Tampa, Florida, after a freightercollided with a bridge pier, knocking down over 1200 ft. of the bridge.
* June 5 – A tour bus rolls off the highway near
Jasper, Arkansas, killing 22 and injuring 19. [ [http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1981/HAR8101.htm Highway Accident Report HAR-81/01] ]
* June 25, – According to the "
Times of India", a bus carrying 100 passengers lost control and plunged into the Rahand Nullah River, Bilaspur, Madhya Pradesh, India, killing 58.
* June 29 – According to the
Associated Press of Pakistan, a bus carrying over 100 children and women plunges into an Upper Jhelam canal near Mirpur, Kashmir of Pakistan, and at least 90 people drown as a result. Shafer, Jack. "The Rise and Fall of the "Bus Plunge" Story: What Killed This Former "New York Times" Staple? http://www.slate.com/id/2152895" "Slate.com" 13 November 2006 ]
* July 4, – According to the Philippine News Agency, two passenger buses collided head-on on National Highway Route 1,
Camalig, Albay, Philippines, killing 13 and injuring 28.
* November 11, – According to the "Al Gomhouria" newspaper of Egypt, a bus collided with two trucks, then plunged into an irrigation canal near
Beni Sweif, Egypt, killing 30 and injuring at lesat 30.
* November 25, – According to
United News of India, a Gwalior- DelhiDelhi Transport Bus tumbled into the Chambal River, Dholpur, Rajasthan, India, killing 40 and injuring 30.
* January 3 – According to "Times of India", a passenger bus skidded and plunged 200-feet down into a ravine at outskirt of
Galhar, Indian Kashmir, killing 17 and injuring 18.
* February 12 – According to
Venezuelan Venevisionreport, a crowded bus, heavy truck, a small vehicle and many vehicles pile-up collision disaster at Barquisimento, Venezuela, killing 36 and injuring 31.
* April 9 –; According to
Nicaraguan Armyofficial report, an Nicaraguan Army's jeep and head-on collided with a regular route bus at outskirt of Esteli, Nicaragua, killing twenty and injuring forty.
* April 14 – According to Indian police official report, a bus carrying Hindu Pilgrims swerve to the left of the road, and negotiating a turn with brakes failure of the road, and negotiating a turn with brakes failure, caught fire at
Srisailam, Andhra Pradesh, India, killing 61.
* July 7 – According to Press Trust of India, a bus skidded off the road and plunged into a deep gorge at outskit of
Kawanpui, Mizoram, India, killing 32 and injuring 19.
* June 14 – According to
Pakistani Daily Jangnewspaper report, a bus plunged 300-feet into a ravine at Kohat Pass, Kohat, Pakistan, killing 23 and injuring 25.
* August 12 – According to United News of India, an Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation regular route bus plunged into a 450-feet deep ravine along a mountain road in Pithorgarh,
Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 43.
* September 9 – According to the
Rede Globotelevision network of Brazil, a truck rammed a bus on a hairpin curve and forced it over a 330-foot cliff near Santos, state of São Paulo, Brazil, killing 29 and injuring 14.
* September 29 – A head-on collision between a bus and a truck in Toledo province, Spain, kills at least 25 people. [ Associated Press. " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E02E0DF1539F93AA1575AC0A967948260&sec=&pagewanted=print Bus Crash Kills 25 in Spain] " "The New York Times" 29 September 1981 ]
* October 14 – According to
Times of India, a public bus plunged into foothills at outskirt of Simla, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing forty and injuring 45.
* January 21 – An overcrowded bus swerves to avoid a speeding truck and plunges nine meter off a bridge at
Narayanganj, Isa Khan, Bangladesh, killing at least 28; another 40 are injured.
* 31 January – Two buses collide and plunge into a
gorgeon the outskirts of Santiago, Chile, killing 14 and injuring 70. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00EFD61338F932A05752C0A964948260 Reuters report via New York Times] ]
* March 27 – According to Mexican Red Cross report, a
Toluca- Mexico CityPassenger bus head on collided with a trailer truck at outskirt of Mexico City, in an incident caused by condition of rain with narrow road, at least twenty-eight death and injuring 32.
* 1 August – Two buses carrying children collide with cars and burst into flames in
Beaune, France, killing 53, including 44 children. Worst highway crash in France. [ [http://www.humanite.fr/2002-08-01_Societe_-Route-Il-y-a-vingt-ans-l-accident-de-Beaune Il ya vingt ans, l'accident de Beaune] ]
* September 9 – According to Hungarian Police and Railroad Authority, Magyar Televiso Report, an express train collided with a bus at outskirt of Szekestehervar,
Fejer, Hungary, killing at least sixteen passengers.
* 12 September – A bus carrying German tourists collides with a train on a level crossing near
Zürich, Switzerland, killing 39. The barriers were not closed, because the operator pressed a wrong button. Only two passengers survive the crash. [http://www.adac.de/Tests/Mobilitaet_und_Reise/Busreisen/bustest_2004/busunfaelle_europa/default.asp?TL=2 Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982] ]
* 13 September – Grace, Princess of Monaco drove her Rover P6 off a serpentine and down a mountainside. She died the following day.
* 3 November – Hundreds are allegedly killed in the
Salang tunnel firein Central Afghanistan, following a disaster involving a Soviet fuel convoy. Estimates are as high as 2,000 dead.
* November 25 – According to India Police service official and All India Radio report, an overloaded truck spun out of control and flipped over near Kaitanol, Karnataka, India, killing at least 18 and injuring 14.
* December 26 – According to Bangladeshi police official and Bangladesh media, a passenger bus plunged into a river at Brahmanbari, Bangladesh, at least forty-five dead and eighty injured.
* February 11 – According to the ERT television of Greece report, a
Salonica- Athensexpress bus head on collided with a truck at outskirt of Amfikleia, Phthiotis, Greece, in an incident caused by both vehicles are excceded speed, killing seventeen and injuring ten.
* February 13 – According to the
Anatolianews agency of Turkey report, a passenger bus head on collided with a truck, when driver trying to pass a care at outskirt of Sanliurfa, Turkey, killing twenty and injuring ten.
* March 2 – According to the
Panamericana Televisiontelevision network of Peru, a charter bus plunged off mountainous highway into Mantaro River, Jauja, Junin, Peru, killing thirty.
* November 1 – A bus collides with a
motorcycleand hits a second bus 370 miles northeast of Bangkok, Thailand, killing 21 and injuring 40. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06EED71639F932A35752C1A965948260 UPI report via New York Times] ]
* December 4 – According to the
Canal Caracoltelevision network of Colombia, a regular route bus crashed into a utility pole and caught fire on the outskirts of Bogotá, Colombia, in an incident caused by technical problems and excessive speed, killing 21. Another five are injured.
* January 30 – According to Indian police and the Press Trust of India, a
Paonta Sahib- Nangairegular route bus plunged 14 feet into a canal and sank at the Sarsa Bridge on the outskirts of Rapar, Punjab of India, killing 80.
* August 1 – According to
All India Radio, a bus carrying local government employees plunged into a canal after its right front tire burst. The crash, on the outskirts of Ingraj Bazar, West Bengal, India, killed 40.
* August 1 – According to
Pakistan Television, a bus skidded on a wet road, lost control and plunged into the Indus Riveron the Karakoram Highway, Baiji Sharif, northern Pakistan, killing 27.
* August 26 – According to the RSS news agency of Nepal, a bus slipped and plunged into a 13-feet deep irrigation canal near
Salkot, Nepal, killing 25.
* September 5 – According to United News of India, a bus carrying 50 passengers plunged into a 3300-foot deep gorge near
Shillong, Meghalaya, India, in an incident caused by the driver losing control on a sharp curve and by heavy fog. 29 people are killed, and another 25 are injured.
* September 24 – A bus plunges into a gorge in
Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 42 and injuring 15. [ Associated Press " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9501E1DD143BF937A1575AC0A962948260&pagewanted=print Bus Crash in India Kills 34] " "The New York Times" 14 September 1992 ]
* November 25 – According to Turkish Anatolia news agency, a bus returning from Black Sea, collided with a lorry in thick fog at northern
Cankiri, Turkey, at least thirty death and injuring twenty-four.
* December 23 – According to Mexican Televisa report, an overcrowded passenger bus plunged off a expressway at Apaseo Grande, Guanjuato,
Mexico, at least twenty-two dead and injuring thirty-five.
* December 24 – According to South African Press Agency report, an overcrowdwd bus with ninety passengers skidded off a steep overcrowdwd bus with ninety passengers skidded off a steep bank on Wapadsberg Mountain, Craddock-Graaff Region,
Eastern Cape, South Africa, at least 42 dead and injuring 25.
* January 11 – According to the
Korean Broadcasting System, a regular route bus skidded off a covered bridge in icy conditions and plunged into a frozen river at Yongdong, Chollanam-do, South Korea, killing 38.
* January 28 – A bus carrying skiers plunges into a reservoir in
Nagano, Japan killing 25.
* April 6 – According to the "
Times of India", a regular route bus suffered brake failure and plunged 20 feet at Bherughat, Madhy Pradesh, India, killing 16 and injuring 39.
* April 20 – According to
South African Broadcasting Corporation, a bus plunged 500 feet down the side of road at outskirt of Hibberdene, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, killing 18, another injuring are 29.
* July 21 – According to Thai television network BEC news, a bus carrying 42 passengers returning from a Buddhist ordination ceremony collided head on with a truck at an intersection in a suburb of
Bangkok, Thailand, killing 26 and injuring 16.
* July 21 – According to the Filipino
GMA Network, a bus overturned after brake failure and ploughed through a crowded market at Halsema expressway, Atok, Benguet, Philippines, killing 28 and injuring 70.
* 22 September – A school bus rolls over in
Leiah, Pakistan, killing 30 children. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9505E2DC1439F931A1575AC0A963948260 Brief New York Times Report] ]
* 21 October – A coach collides with stationary traffic due to construction work on the
M6 motorwaybetween Prestonand Lancaster, killing 13 people.
* December 21 – According to
Brazilian SBTtelevision report, a São Paulo- Rio de JaneiroCometa Transport bus veered off the road and into Guandu River, outskirt of Pirai, Rio state, Brazil, killing 22.
* January 17 – According to
United News of India, a crowded passenger bus plunged into 89-feet deep ravine, with negotiate a sharp curve at Navsari, Gujarat, India, killing 49 and injuring ten.
* April 26 – According to "
Times of India", a bus carrying pilgrims to a shrine where plunged off a cliff at outskirt of Kathgodam, Uttarakhand, India, killing 44 people.
* May 12 – According to the SAPA news agency, an overcrowded bus lost control due to brake failure and flipped over near
Mount Frere, Transkei, South Africa, killing 30. Another 64 are injured.
* 23 May – A bus falls off a cliff and explodes in
Antique Province, Philippines, killing 23 and injuring 15. [ Associated Press. " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE6DE153DF936A15756C0A960948260&sec=&pagewanted=print Philippine Bus Crash Kills 23] " "The New York Times" 25 May 1986 ]
* 30 May – A tour bus plunges into the
West Walker Rivernear Walker, California, killing 21 and injuring 19. [ [http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1987/HAR8704.htm Highway Accident Report HAR-87-4] ]
* June 17 – According to
Panamericana Television, a bus carrying 40 passengers, including school children, plunged off a highway and into an irrigation ditch near Canete, Peru, killing 19 and injuring 17.
* June 22 – According to "
China Daily" and Shanxi Television, two buses carrying Baobaoshan rural factory workers plunged 800-feet before a sharp curve in the Wutai Mountainerea, Shanxi, China, killing 31 and injuring 35.
* July 26 –
Lockington rail crash: A train derails after colliding with a Ford Escort at a rail crossing in Lockington, England, killing 8 aboard the train and one aboard the car.
* October 8 – According to
Taiwanese CTS, a tourist bus plunges 33-yards down a valley onto a river bank at East-West Cross Island Expressway, outskirt of Taichung, Taiwan, killing 39.
* October 21 – According to
Pakistani" Daily Jang", two packed buses hit by a passenger express train at Landhi, Karachi, Pakistan, both bus driver has try to pick up waiting passenger train and often are involved accidents, killing 35 and injuring 24.
* November 3 – According to "
Times of India", a bus crashed into road side at outskirt of Murshidabad, West Bengal, India, killing 33 and injuring 28.
* January 4 – According to
Rede Globotelevision of Brazil report, a bus carrying workers head-on collided with a truck carrying tomatoes at Itapetininga, state of São Paulo, Brazil, killing fifteen and injuring eleven.
* January 21 – A truck and a bus collide near
Temuco, Chile, killing 43.
* February 23 – According to News Agency of Nigeria report, a bus carrying attend of wedding ceremony skidded off an express way at outskirt of
Nsukka, Anambra, Nigeria, killing 35.
* 29 March – A bus plunges off a cliff in
Shaanxi Province, China, killing 19 and injuring 28. [ Reuters [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5DE1F31F936A35757C0A961948260 Chinese Bus Plunge Kills 19] "The New York Times" 5 April 1987 ]
* May 6 – According to MCOT news of
Thailand, a bus carrying university students and teachers rammed into the side of a mountain near Kanchanaburi, Sri Sawat, Thailand, killing 20 and injuring 27.
* July 7 – According to German
ARDtelevision, a tank truck carrying gasoline crash and hit icecream palor at Herborn, Lahn-Dill-Kreis, Hesse, Germany, killing thirty and injuring 29.
* July 30 – According to
United News of India, a regular route bus into Yanto canal at outskirt of Dakpatthar, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 39.
* October 20 – According to
Sudaneseofficial report, a bus veered into a high voltage power pole and caught fire after colliding with another bus at Al-Kufaytah, Nahr-an-nil, Sudan, killing 64.
* 28 October – A diesel tanker collides with stationary traffic on the M61 near
Preston, Lancashire, killing 12 and injuring 6.
* December 11 – According to the
Egyptian government, a bus carrying local primary school children returning from the Guizazoo was smashed by high-speed train at an unmarked railroad level crossing at Ein Sham, on the outskirts Cairo, Egypt, killing 62 children and injuring 67. [ Associated Press. " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE7D7123FF931A25751C1A961948260&sec=&pagewanted=print Egypt Bus Crash Kills At Least 57 Children] " "The New York Times" 12 December 1987 ]
* December 27 – According to the
Algeriannewspaper "Ech Chaab", a passenger bus and two trucks carrying illegal passengers collided near Bouandas, Setif, Algeria, killing 32 and injuring 19.
* February 1 – According to an official
Haitianconfirmed report, a truck carrying many hitchhikers was hit by ten-wheel flatbed truck carrying coffee. The truck overturned and plunged into the Grande-Anse River, near Jérémie, Grand'Anse, Haiti, killing 70.
* February 15 – According to an official
Peruvian police report, a bus plunged into a 170-foot ravine near Pallasca, Ancash, Peru, killing 14.
* April 10 – According to Bec News of Thailand, an overcrowded regular route bus blew a front tire and plunged into an irrigation canal near
Mueang Chainat, Chainat, Thailand, killing 42 and injuring 11.
* April 20 – According to Thai
MCOTtelevision, a local bus collided with a paramilitary troop tank at Kakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. The resulting explosion killed 25 and injured nine.
* 14 May – 27 die in the Carrollton bus disaster near
Carrollton, Kentucky, after a collision with a drunk driverdriving the wrong way on Interstate 71.
* July 18 – According to the
Brazilian SBTtelevision network, a Londrina- Campinasregular route bus swerved to avoid three cows crossing the national highway 369 road, then struck the rear of another bus near Cornelio Procopio, Parana, Brazil, killing 39.
* 12 August – Two buses collide on the highway between
Tehranand Tabrizin northern Iran, killing 30 and injuring 50. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DC1031F937A2575BC0A96E948260 AP report via New York Times] ]
* 15 August – A bus plows into a concrete wall in a tunnel 60 miles outside of
Bergen, Norway, killing 15 passengers and the driver and injuring 19. See Måbødalen disaster.
* August 23 – According to
ORFtelevision of Austria, a Hungarian tour bus lost control and slammed into a truck at Schwadorfnear Vienna, Austria, killing 14 and injuring 11.
* 22 September – A bus falls into a ravine near Simla,
India. 35 people die. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DB1031F932A15751C0A96E948260 Brief New York Times Report] ]
* September 25 – According to the "
Times of India", a bus plunged into Bhakra canal, smashing through the safety railing of a bridge near Jogwala, Sangrur District, Punjab, India, killing 67.
* October 6 – According to the "al-Ahram" newspaper of Egypt, a Kafr el Sheikh-
Baltimregular-route bus was hit by a flatbed trailer on the outskirts of El-Mahalla El-Kubra, Egypt, killing 28 and injuring 21.
* October 9 – According to
United News of India, a Guhawati- Nalburiregular-route bus skidded off a road and crashed into a flooded pond on the outskirts of Gauhati, Assam, India, killing 50.
* October 12 – A bus ignites after toppling into a ditch in
Shaanxi Province, China, killing 43 and injuring 40. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE1DA1539F934A25753C1A96E948260&sec=&pagewanted=print AP report via New York Times] ]
* October 21 – According to
Televisio de Catalunya(TV3), three separate buses collided with a refrigerator truck and overturned at Martorell, Catalonia, Spain, killing 14 and injuring 65.
* January 17 – 51 die and 110 are injured when a bus packed with school children collides with a train at a level crossing of Ahungalle, southern
* February 24 – According to Rede Globo television of Brazil, a Bahia-
Brasiliaregular route bus head-on collided with a truck carrying a load of corn at outskirt of Catalao, Goias, Brazil, killing sixteen and injuring 25.
* February 26 – According to
Taiwan Televisionreport, a bus plunged 330-feet into a deep valley at outskirt of Taoyuan, Taiwan, killing twelve and injuring 24.
* May 19 – According to
Peruvian America Television, a Lima- Huancayoregular route bus carrying sixty passengers slammed on brakes to avoid a pile of construction blockinf bridge, and plunged 90-foot into a Mantaro River, outskirt of Jauja, Junin, Peru, killing 45.
* June 7 – According to
Press Trust of India, a bus plunged 100-feet into a ravine at outskirt of Baramula, Jammu and Kashmir, India, killing fifty and injuring twenty.
* June 24 – According to
Rede Globotelevision of Brazil, two vehicles of São Paulo-Rio Grande do Norte regular route buses tumbled down a 100-feet embankment at Outskirt of Estancia, Sergipe, Brazil, killing 31 and injuring fifty.
* July 16 – According to the Japanese news agency
Kyodoand the National Police Agency of Japan, a landslide caused by heavy rain collapsed a tunnel, striking a minibus and killing 15 at Echizen, Fukui, Japan.
* October 8 – 13 adults and children are killed and 30 are injured near
Shediac, New Brunswick, when a transport truck carrying logs spilled its cargo while passing a loaded hay wagon.
* October 20 – According to
Australian Broadcasting Corporationtelevision news, a Sydney- BrisbaneSunliner Coaches tourist bus collided head-on with a tractor trailer truck near Grafton, New South Wales, Australia, killing 22 and injuring 22.
* 22 December – 35 are killed in the
Kempsey bus crashon the Pacific Highway near Kempsey, New South Wales.
* December 24 – According to
Egyptian newspaper " al-Ahram", a regular route bus plunged into a procession at Nag-el-Hobeiki, Luxor, Egypt, killing 13 and injuring 8.
* 22 January – 17 people including 11 FRU riot police personal were killed in a collision between
FRUriot police vehicles, tanker lorry, passenger bus and 10 cars on the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway, Malaysia.
* 22 April – Two buses collide in
Havana, Cuba, killing 11 and seriously injuring 13. [ Reuters " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE3D81239F937A15757C0A966958260&sec=&pagewanted=print Bus Crash in Havana Kills 11] " "The New York Times" 24 April 1990 ]
* June 3 – A
Shropshirebased double-decker coach, suffered a blowout to the front tyre on the A6 near Auxerrewhen it was 20mph over the speed limit, causing the 76-seat coach to crash, killing 11 people and injuring 61 British tourists, all returning from Costa Brava. This resulted in a legal action against Avon Rubber, tyre of the crash coach, its driver and his employer; resulting in the longest legal case in France [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/3043132.stm BBC NEWS | England | Staffordshire | Bus driver guilty of 1990 deaths ] ]
* 8 July – A bus ignores a barrier at a railroad crossing and collides with a passenger train near
Petrozavodsk, Karelia, Russia, killing 27 (34 according to unofficial sources) and injuring 24. The bus driver is slightly injured. [ [http://ptzbus.nm.ru/avariya.html Petrozavodskiy Avtobus site (Russian)] ]
* September 20 – According to
Indonesian Antaranews agency report, a mini-van skidded on the slippey road rammed inter-city bus exceeded speed ang plunged, and another inter-city bus hit into disaster site with rescuers work at outskirt of Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia, killing 33 and injuring 17.
* September 24 – According to BBTV Channel Seven report, a liquified petroleum gas truck exploded with 42 vehicles and many buildings and houses burned at New Petchaburi Road, downtown of
Bangkok, Thailand, killing 53 and injuring 100.
* November 4 – According to
South KoreanKBS report, a bus carrying former president Chun Doo-hwansupporters and members hit by truck and plunged Koonchook bridge, Soyang, Gangwon, South Korea, killing 21, another injuring are 21.
* 9 November – Almost at the same spot and with the same cause of the August 25, 1972 accident: in sudden dense fog on highway A16 west of
Breda, several cars and trucks collide in a huge pile-up. 10 die and 28 are injured. [ [http://www.zero-meridean.nl/ramp_sel.html#6nov90 6 november 1990: Kettingbotsing A16, Breda] ]
* November 10 – According to former
Sovietnews agency Tassreport, a bus collided passenger train and crushed at outskirt of Suerdlovsk, Yarnal Nenets Oblast, Russia, killing 16, another 13 are injured.
* 22 November – A bus ignores a red light and collides with a train at a railroad crossing in
Donetsk, Ukraine, killing 19 and wounding 13, though the bus driver is not injured.
* December 11 – A 99 car pile-up due to fog on
I-75near Calhoun, Tennesseeresults in 12 deaths and 42 injured. [ [http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1992/HAR9202.htm HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT HAR-92-2] ]
* December 2 – According to
All India Radioreport, a bus carrying wedding party plunged down a ravine at outskirt of Nainital, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 30, another 20 are injured.
* 30 December – 56 die in a collision involving a bus, truck and car on a highway between
Voronezhand Rostov-on-Donin southwestern Russia.
* January 6 – According to
Kenyandaily Nationreport, a bus slammed into a tree on a railroad crossing at outskirt of Muranga, Central, Kenya, in an incident caused by driver has lost control and exceed speed, killing 47, another 40 are injured.
* January 13 – According to Filipino
GMA Networkreport, a Dapitan- Dipologregular route bus plunged into a river at outskirt of Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines, killing 25.
* 15 February – A trailer truck carrying dynamite explodes at
Thung Maphrao, Phang Nga, Thailandkilling 171 local villagers. [ New York Times [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE2DE173BF935A25751C0A967958260 'Dynamite Blast in Thailand Leaves 122 Onlookers Dead'] February 16, 1991, Retrieved April 5, 2006 ]
* 31 July – A bus carrying about 60 Girl Scouts overturns on a desert mountain road near Highway 111, killing 7. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE4DA123BF932A3575BC0A967958260 7 Are Killed as Girl Scout Bus Overturns on Mountain Road - New York Times ] ]
* 4 August – A crowded bus carrying school children looses control and crashes in
Troutbeck, Zimbabwe, killing 87, including 82 children. [http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Newsletters/zmno13.html Zimbabwe News Online (13) - 1/12/98] ]
* 7 August – The brakes of a Hungarian tourist bus fail in
Styria, killing 15 and injuring 28.
* November 29 – A dust storm on
I-5near Coalinga, Californiatriggers a 164-vehicle pile up that leaves 17 dead and 150 injured. [ [http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F2061FFC3A590C728CDDAB0994D9494D81 Scenes of Disaster in Pileup That Killed 17 in California] ] [ [http://www.on-this-day.com/onthisday/thedays/alldays/nov29.htm On-This-Day.com: November 29] ]
* 6 December – A 25-vehicle pile-up crash due to heavy fog on
Autovía A-8near Amorebieta, Basque Country kills 17 and injures 50. A spark sets the pile of cars on fire.
* March 1 – According to United News of Bangladesh report, a regular route bus with 100 passengers vaulted intoo a road side creek at outskirt of
Jaldhalca, Nilphamari, Bangladesh, killing 25.
* April 3 – According to Hunan Daily report, a regular route bus with eighty passengers exploded and caught fire, and passengers jumping from out of window, because of broke open a door at outskirt of
Yiyang, Hunan, China, killing 55.
* April 12 – According to South African Broadcasting Corporation report, a bus carrying seventy school children ripped apart, after crashing into
Buffalo Riverbridge, Dundee, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, killing 33.
* April 18 – According to Argentine
Arteartelevision report, a Buenos Aires- Mar del Plataregular route bus smashed with three vehicles and foggy condition at outskirt of Mar del Plata, Argentina, killing 32 and injuring 26.
* 19 August – A bus falls down an embankment on the A7 highway in Spain, killing 45 and injuring 11. [ Associated Press " [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE7D7123DF933A1575BC0A964958260&sec=&pagewanted=print Bus Crash in Spain Kills 45] " "The New York Times" 20 August 1992 ]
* 6 September – Near
Donaueschingenin the Black Forest, a bus collides into a passenger car and is slit open by a crash barrier. 21 die, 32 are seriously injured. [http://www.adac.de/Tests/Mobilitaet_und_Reise/Busreisen/bustest_2004/busunfaelle_europa/default.asp Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982] ]
* September 27 – According to
Nepalesepolice report, a truck carrying Hindu goddress plunged 450-feet below at outskirt of Dhankuta, Nepal, killing 21.
* September 27 – According to Hungarian
Duna TVand MTInews agency report, a minibus carrying German travellers collided with local train crossing at Agard, Hungary, killing 16, another three are injured.
* October 9 – According to
Brazilian SBT television network report, a bus carrying Oktober Revelers entertaiment group drove off a mountain road and plunged down cliff at outskirt of Sao Luis do Puruna, Parana, Brazil, killing 34.
* 9 January – Three buses collide and ignite on a highway in
Santo Tome, Argentina, killing 55 and injuring 70. [ [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7D6123CF932A25752C0A965958260 New York Times report] ]
* April 30 – According to BBTV Channel Seven of Thailand report, a passenger train hit a bus carrying children of Shergli Primary schools at unguarded railroad crossing at
Phutthamonthon, Nakorn Pathom, Thailand, killing 36 including 28 children.
* May 13 – According to RTR television report, a Sogratl-
Makhachkalaregular route bus plunged into 260-feet george at outskirt of Gunib, Caucasus Mountainserea, Dagestan, Russia, killing 25.
* May 27 – According to America Television of Peru report, a bus carrying attend to Santiago de Chocorvos Conference business owners plunged 160-feet from road near foothill at outskirt of
Ica, Peru, in an incident caused by mechanical failure, killing 21 and injuring eleven.
* July 24 – According to
Indonesian RCTI report, a Surabaya-Pandanwangi passenger train rammed into an intercity bus an unguarded railroad crossing, and a bus dragged for eighty-yard before the train halted at Jombang, West Java, Indonesia, killing fifteen and injuring twenty.
* October 3 – According to KTN report, a multipile road disaster, including a passenger bus, truck and many vehicles are crushed at Nakuru-
Eldoretroad, Nakuru, Kenya, killing 35 and injuring 41.
* 10 November – A fiery pile-up on A10 near
Mirambeau, France leaves 15 dead and 53 injured. [ [http://www.lemonde.fr/cgi-bin/ACHATS/acheter.cgi?offre=ARCHIVES&type_item=ART_ARCH_30J&objet_id=738143&clef=ARC-TRK-G_01 Carambolage de Mirambeau: 17 automobilistes et 2 routiers jugés pour homicides involontaires] , 23 January, 2002]
* 17 November – The
M40 minibus crashleaves 12 children dead when their minibus collides with a maintenance vehicle near Warwick, England, sparking new road security campaigns.
* December 27 – According to SBT television of Brazil report, an overloaded Curitiba-
Porto Alegreregular route bus collided with sports car and plunged into a ravine at outskirt of Curitiba, Parana, Brazil, killing 41, another 79 are injured.
* January 10 – According to Chinese media report, a bus pass through guardrail, aftermath veer off Feiyun bridge river at
Ruian, Zhejiang, China, killing 45.
* January 11 – According to
South Africanmedia report, a Cape Town- Durbanlaxury bus plunged off a bridge at between Bethlehemand Harrismith, Orange Free State, South Africa, killing 14, another 27 are injured.
* January 31 – According to
Vietnamese VTV report, a regular route bus caught fire and plunged into 300-feet below of sea at national highway 1, Ca Pass, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam, killing 28, another 11 are injured.
* March 14 – According to
Doordarshantelevision of India report, a bus carrying 75 passengers on board swerved off an iron and concrete bridge into a fast flowing Kadava, Maharashtra, India, killing 64.
* 2 May –
1994 Poland bus disaster: 32 die in collision between a PKS bus and a tree near Gdańsk.
* May 24 – According to
Press Trust of Indiareport, a bus rolled down a mountainside road at outskirt of Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 14, another 11 are injured.
* May 26 – According to SABC report, a bus lost control and plunged into dam at
Lothain, Eastern Transvaal, South Africa, killing 36.
* May 26 – According to SAPA report, a minibus head-on collided a truck at outskirt of Middolburg,
Eastern Transvaal, South Africa, killing 13.
* September 1 – According to
Ecuadoreanpolice report, a bus carrying musical band has lost control, brake failure, and plunged 600-feet down a highway embankment at outskirt of Mitad del Mundo, Pichincha, Ecuador, killing 50.
* October 16 – According to
NepaleseRSS news agency report, a commuter bus plunged off a mountainroad and fell 600-feet at outskirt of Amarai, Narayani, Nepal, killing 15, another 21 are injured.
* January 21 – According to
TV Aztecaof Mexico report, a truck carrying religious pilgrims plunged off a highway into 70-feet at outskirt of Oaxacacity, Mexico, killing 22, another injuring are ten.
* February 5 – According to
RCNtelevision of Colombia report, a bus collided with truck carrying cement at outskirt of Ponedera, Caribbean- Atlantico, Colombia, killing 13.
* March 12 – According to
United News of Indiareport, a truck carrying benzene liquid chemical rammed and collided with a bus at ourtskirt of Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, India, killing 110.
* January 1 – When a bus crossed center line and careened into on coming traffic, a bus head collided with another bus at Highway Two line,
Sonoytai, Plutarco Elias Calles, Mexico, killing 23, another 50 are injured.
* January 1 – According to former
Zaireanofficial confirmed report, a Kinshasa- Kingasaniregular route bus plunged a ravine and skidded of a main road at Kimbansekeerea, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing 72.
* February 10 – According to Japanese news agency Jiji and National Police Agency of Japan report, a huge shard of rock wighing about 21,000 tons smashed through at Toyohama tunnel, national highway route 229,
Yoichi, western Hokkaidō, Japan, with crushing Shakotan- Otaruregular route bus and a car, killing 20.
* 25 February – Two buses collide head-on near
La Paz, Bolivia, killing at least 35. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/Newsbriefs/9602/02-26/am.html?eref=sitesearch AP report via CNN] ]
* 28 February – A charter bus collides with a car near
Bailen, Spain, killing 29 and injuring 17. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/Newsbriefs/9602/02-29/index.html?eref=sitesearch AP report via CNN] ]
* March 17 – According to SPA news agency report, a bus carrying illegally foreigners has crushed at outskirt of
Asir, Jizan, Saudi Arabia, killing 45.
* April 4 – According to South Korean
YTN(Yonhap Television News) television report, a Seoul commuter bus plunged at Han River, Yeouido, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, South Korea, killing 20, another injuring are 38.
* September 26 – According to
NTV Russiareport, a local bus hit by passenger train at railroad crossing of near Konnoarmayskaya, Rostov, Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia, killing 21 and injuring twenty.
* September 29 – According to Japanese TBS Newsbird television and
National Police Agency of Japanreport, a minivan carrying construction workers crushed at national highway route 9, Muraoka, northwestern Hyogo, Japan, killing 10.
* November 1 – According to
Panamericana Televisionof Peru report, a bus carrying 60-passengers has lost control and plunged off 1500-feet below of cliff at outskirt of San Mateo, Matucana, Peru, killing 39, another injuring are 15.
* January 14 – A crowded city bus plunges into the
Nile Riverin Cairo, Egypt, killing 39 people and injuring 24. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9701/14/egypt.bus.crash/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* January 19 – A bus plunges into a river after losing control on a curvy road in Punjab,
India, killing 29 and injuring 12. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9701/19/briefs/india.bus.crash/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* March 24 – According to South Korean television SBS report, a
Seoulbound passenger train smashed into packed local bus, where flipped a vehicle onto railroad side at Namwon, North Jeolla, South Korea, killinf fourteen and injuring twenty.
* May 8 – A truck carrying local wedding couples and families are plunged by lost control with overturned at
Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 70, another 8 are injured.
* August 31 –
Diana, Princess of Waleswas killed in a Paris underpass along with 2 other passengers.
* October 13 – Les Éboulements bus accident in
Quebec, Canada, results in 44 deaths when a bus plunges into a ravine. Worse bus accident in Canadian history.
* October 25 – According to media report from South Africa, a bus smashed into a carrying gasoline tanker truck at
Togela River, Port Shepstone, South Africa. This bus carrying Inkatha Freedom Partysupporters and members. At least 33 killed.
* November 6 – A passenger train crashes into a bus in
Holguín Province, Cuba, killing at least 56 people. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9711/06/cuba.train.wreck/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* November 19 – According to the
Indian television network Doordarshan's report, an overloaded school bus skidded of a bridge and plunged into the YamunaRiver near the outskirts of New Delhi, India. The accident resulted in 29 deaths and injuries to around 60 passengers.
* January 5 – 43 people were killed and more than 60 seriously injured when a bus plunged down a steep slope in
Nyangadistrict, after the brakes of a bus failed.
* January 7 – According to
Kenyan television network KTN report, A Meru- NairobiKenyan Bus Service regular route bus lost control of the vehicle and plammeted down 100-feet embankment into Nithi river, Kenya, killing 58, another 42 are injured.
* January 13 – According to
Indian Zee Newstelevision network report, a bus carrying 86 students and parents back from Murshidabadpicnic site, where skidded in fog with plundge into Bhagirathi Riverat Jalangi, West Bengal, India, in an incident caused by lost control and exceed speed, killing 65.
* April 3 – According to Turkish TRT television network report, a petrol tanker truck collided with a bus
Iranian Muslimsreturning from Syria at outskirt of Birecik, Sanliurfa, Turkey, killing 28, another 7 are injured.
* April 15 – A school bus is involved in a five-vehicle collision near
Newcastle, South Africa, killing 31, including 27 children. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9804/16/safrica.crash/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* August 31 – According to
Al-Alamnewspaper of Morocco report, a pickup truck carrying attending wedding couples and families head-on collide with another truck at El Jadida, Assabah, Morocco, killing at least 20.
* September 8 – A
tanker truckflips and explodes on a highway north of São Paulo, Brazil, setting fire to two buses and killing at least 50. [ [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/americas/9809/08/brazil.crash.02/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* December 23 – According to Anatoria News Agency of Turkey report, an
Ankara- Samsunregular route bus head-on collided with a fuel truck and burning both vehicle at outskirt of Samsun, northern Turkey, killing eleven and injuring ten.
* December 31 – 100 cars crashed on an ice-slicked section of Interstate-75 in central
Michigan, killing one and injuring 39. [ [http://www.cnn.com/US/9812/31/michigan.pileup/ CNN - Car-pileup in snowy Michigan kills 1 - December 31, 1998 ] ]
* January 4 – According to Liaoning Television of China report, a local bus carrying 40 passengers onboard exploded and blast ripped at outskirt of
Linghai, Jinzhou, Liaoning, China, killing 18.
* January 9 – According to Georgian official confirmed report, a bus carrying funeral mourners ran off the road and plunged into a river below of 750 feet at outskirt of
Kazbegi, Khevi, Georgia, killing 38.
* January 24 – A bus carrying Hungarian skiers where plunged off a hillside at outskirts of
Deutschlandsberg, Styria, Austria, killing 18, another 32 are injured. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/262158.stm BBC News | Europe | Bus crash kills 18 in Austria ] ]
* 15 March –
1999 Bourbonnais train accident: the " City of New Orleans" collides with a truck and derails in Bourbonnais, Illinois, United States, killing 11.
* & flagicon|Italy 24 March – 39 people killed in the
Mont Blanc Tunnelfire.
* May 9 – According to
Nepalesepolice report, a bus slipped and plunged 680-feet down slope at Kapurbot Bazar, Saiyan, Rapti, Nepal, killing 32, another 36 are injured.
* 9 May – A tour bus crashes into a concrete wall on Interstate 610 in
New Orleans, killing 22 and injuring 24. [ [http://www.cnn.com/US/9905/10/louisiana.bus.crash.02/index.html?eref=sitesearch CNN report] ]
* May 29 – 12 people killed and 50 injured in a collision and fire in Tauern Tunnel in Austria.
* June 7 – According to a
Press Trust of Indiareport, a bus carrying 119 passengers plunged into a lake near Davangere, Karnataka, India, the accident was caused by excessive speed over bad roads, resulting in loss of control. Another contibuting factor was overloading of the bus, with several travellers riding on the roof. The accident resulted in 94 deaths and another 25 were injured.
* July 18 – According to
Indian Doordarshantelevision report, a Kiari- ShimlaHRTC regular route bus carrying 90 passengers on-board plunged into 40-feet deep gorne at outskirt of Bagar, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 18, another 55 are injured.
* July 24 – A trailer truck crashes into cars slowed by
roadworkon Autoroute 20 near Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse, killing 4 and injuring 11. [ [http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/quebec/nouvelles/2002/archives/index.asp?val=8075 Carambolage de juillet 1999 à Saint-Michel] , 11 September 2000.] A public investigation is launched.
* 3 September – Dense fog on Highway 401 near
Windsor, Ontarioreduces visibility to less than a meter (3 ft) and causes a 87 vehicles pileup and fire that kills 8 and injures 33. Many vehicles are fused together by the intense heat. [ [http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/media/top10/1999_e.html Top Ten Weather Stories of 1999] ]
* September 14 – According to Yangcheng Evening News of China report, a long distance regular route bus overturned and plunged into canyon at outskirt of
Kaijiang, Dazhou, Sichuan, China, killing 46, another 9 are injured.
* September 25 – According to SABC television of South Africa report, a bus went off a highway in foggy weather and crashed at outskirt of
Kokstad, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, killing 15, another 20 are injured.
* October 11 – According to SCTV television of Indonesia report, a
Jakarta- BandungTuranga express bus crashed into cliffside at outskirt of Lembah Hijau, Puncak, West Java, Indonesia, killing 45, another 29 are injured.
* November 19 – A commuter bus collided with many vehicles, include truck, bus at Lagos-Kano expressway at outskirt of
Ilorin, Kwara, Nigeria. Aftermath, a bus caughtfire on impact. this accident is killing 22, another 16 are injured.
* December 30 – According to
Pakistani television PTV report, a Karachi- Rawalpindiregular route bus overturned and caught fire at Lahore- IslamabadM2 expressway, outskirt of Kallar Kahar, Punjab of Pakistan, in an incident caused by exceed speed, killing 48, another 20 are injured.
* March 6 – A
Zhob- Shahdadpurregular route bus collides with a truck carrying local wedding couples and families plunges at Saifullah Shaikh canal, Balochistan, Pakistan, killing 50, another 25 are injured.
* 29 March – 74 people die in a collision between two buses in
Kerichko, Kenya. [ [http://www.ogiek.org/faq/history-kenya.htm Kenya Timeline] ]
* 13 May - A bus carrying
Muslimpilgrims plunges 60 feet below into the Buna River at Buna, Neretva, Bosnia killing 43, another 12 are injured. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/747404.stm BBC News | EUROPE | Bosnia bus crash kills 43 ] ]
* 18 June – Lax security regulation enforcement causes the overpasses of Autoroute 15 to collapse over Boulevard du Souvenir, in
Laval, Quebec, during renovation, killing one and injuring two. [ [http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/50/50132.htm Effondrement d'un viaduc à Laval] ] [ [http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Index/nouvelles/200307/25/012-viaduc-rapport.shtml Effondrement du viaduc du Souvenir: un rapport du coroner accablant] ]
* July 6 – According to a Spanish
EFEnews agency report, a bus carrying workers to Madridcollided with a truck carrying pigs at the outskirt of Soria, Spain, killing 27, another 23 are injured. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/europe/07/06/spain.bus.02/index.html CNN report] ]
* 7 July – A bus plunges into a river in
Liuzhou, Guangxiprovince killing all 78 aboard. [ [http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/english/200007/09/eng20000709_45054.html 38 More Bodies of Liuzhou Bus Plunge Found ] ]
* July 11 – According to an
Indonesian news agency Antarareport, a bus carrying 39 passengers on-board, plunged into a deep ravine at Sarangan, Merapi Ketep, Indonesia, killing 10, another 13 are injured in an incident caused by brake failure.
* 28 August –
Abuja bus crash riots, Abuja, Nigeria, Seventy people are killed in a bus pile up in Abuja. The next day, related protest riots kill four more people.
* September 10 – According to "
Times of India" report, a Shiliguri- Darjeelingregular route bus carrying 50 passengers onboard and some passengers, has vehicle on roof plunged Tista River, when driver approaching a bridge, lost control before exceed speed at Sivok, West Bengal, India, killing 20, and many passengers injured.
* 12 October –
Owerri bus crash, Nigeria, Fifty people die when a bus collides with fuel tanker, which explodes. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/968967.stm Horror bus crash in Nigeria] , 12 October, 2000]
* October 22 – According to "
Daily Jang" newspaper of Pakistan report, two regular route buses collided on a bridge at outskirt of Jhang, Punjab of Pakistan, killing 40, another 75 are injured.
* 6 November –
Lagos tanker disaster, Lagos, Nigeria, Between 100 and 200 people are killed when a petrol tanker loses control, slams into a traffic jam and explodes. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1009336.stm Nigerian tanker inferno kills over 100] , 6 November, 2000]
* November 7 – According to Kenyan police report, a
Nairobi- Mombasaregular route bus with 80 passengers on-board, plunged a bridge at outskirt of Meru, Eastern, Kenya, in an incident caused by excess speeds, killing 45.
* 24 November –
Benin City bus crash, Nigeria, Sixty people die when bus falls into a ravine. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/africa/11/24/nigeria.accident.reut/ Sixty killed in Nigerian bus accident] , November 24, 2000]
* November 27 – According to
Thaitelevision MCOTreport, a Chiang Mai- Bangkokregular route bus crashes and drops off a bridge, plunging into a canal at Mae Prik, Lampang, Thailand, killing 20, another 16 are injured.
* 24 December – A bus traveling from
Cape Townto Butterworth plunges off a mountain road in South Africa, leaving 20 passengers dead and 55 injured. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/africa/12/24/south.africa.bus.crash/index.html CNN report] ]
* 24 December – According to
ABS-CBNnews of Philippines report, a Cotobato- Davaoregular route bus carrying Chistmas travelers plunges 60 feet down into a ravine at outskirts of Bansalan, Mindanao, Philippines, killing 30, 12 more are injured.
* 16 February – 13 people killed in the
Gracanica bus bombingin Kosovo.
* 28 February –
Selby rail crash: A car falls off a M62 motorwaybridge on railroad tracks, causing the derailment of a passenger train and its subsequent collision with a freight train near Selby, England. 10 are killed and 82 injured.
* March 1 – According to
Indian PoliceService official and NDTV report, a bus skidded off a road and plunged into Ravi River, outskirt of Chamba, Himachal Pradesh, India, at least forty dead.
* March 4 – 70+ killed in the
Hintze Ribeiro disasterwhen a bridge collapsed as a bus was crossing the Douroin Portugal. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1202214.stm Portugal bridge collapse 'kills 70'] , 5 March, 2001]
* March 6 – According to a Thai Bec News television report, a local bus rammed into a tree on a sharp bend on a road as a result of lost control in
Amphoe Mueang Phetchabun, Phetchabun, Thailand, killing 16, injuring another 20.
* March 24 – 14 are killed and over 20 injured when a bus swerves off the road into a ravine in
Santa Comba Dão. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1240823.stm Portugal hit by new bus disaster] , 25 March, 2001]
* April 8 – According to a Tanzanian police report, a minibus hit a bull, before colliding with another bus at
Songea Rual, Ruvuma, Tanzania, in an incident caused by excessive speed, killing 21.
* 26 June – A bus swerves and hits a ditch 80 miles southwest of
Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, killing 41 people. [ [http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti-archive/msg08352.html AP report via Webster University] ]
* 10 August – An overcrowded bus falls into a river in
Xinjiang, China, while traveling from Urumqito Xinhe County, killing 34 people. [http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/meast/08/18/iran.crash/index.html CNN report] ]
* August 15 – According to a
Kenya Television Networkreport, a minibus severed off the road and plunged into the Mwania River, outskirt of Machakos, Eastern, Kenya, killing 23, another 10 are injured.
* 17 August – A bus and a truck collide on a road between
Kermanand Sirjanin Iran, killing 30 people.
* August 26 – A
Lagos- Kanoregular route bus, carrying 72 passengers, veers into a Dakatsallebridge, Kura, Kaduna, Nigeria, killing 49, another 23 are injured.
* 24 October – 11 people die in the
Gotthard Road Tunnelafter two lorries collide, resulting in a fire. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1617309.stm Smoke hinders Swiss tunnel rescue] , October 25, 2001] [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1619363.stm Gotthard police find no more bodies] , October 26, 2001]
* November 3 – According to
Indian PoliceService official and United News of India report, a passenger bus plunged into george, when a bus driver failed bus plunged into george, when a bus driver failed to make a sharp turn on a driver failed to make a sharp turn on a hill at Saderkote, Jammu and Kashimir, India, killing twenty and injuring thirty-three.
* 14 November – A bus flips over on a road near
Huelva, Spain, killing 19 people. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/11/14/spain.crash/index.html CNN report] ]
* 14 December – 52 pilgrims killed in
Aqaba bus crashin Jordan. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/meast/12/14/jordan.accident/ CNN News Report] ]
* December 28 – Two crowded buses collide, one bus falls into a road side ditch at outskirt of
Bogra, Rajshahi, Bangladesh, killing 35.
* January 7 – According to a BSS news agency report, a
Manikganj- Dhakaregular route bus driver lost control while trying to cross a bridge at an excessive speed and plunged over 35 feet into the river at Aminbazar, Savar, Bangladesh, killing 30, many more passengers were injured.
* February 17 – According to a Henan Television and
China Dailyreport, two buses collided, both carrying travelers by Lunar New Year holiday, where a bus crashed at Hechuan, Henan, China, killing 25, injuring another 12.
* March 13 – According to a
Panamericana Televisionof Peru report, an Ayacucho- Limaregular route bus burst into flames, before skidding out of control and hitting a gasoline station at Chincha Alta, Ica, Peru, killing 35.
* 19 April - A bus carrying construction workers plunges off a mountain road near
Salalah, Omankilling 46 in countries' worst ever road accident. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1941097.stm Oman bus crash kills 46] , 20 April, 2002]
* 23 April – A
steamrollerfalls off a truck and crushes a bus 70 miles north of Ufa, Russia, killing 14 people. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/04/23/russia.bus/index.html CNN report] ]
* 8 May – 14 people die in the suicide bombing of a bus in
* 26 May – 14 die in the
I-40 bridge disasteron Interstate 40, near Webbers Falls, Oklahomawhen a barge collided with a bridge support, causing a 580-foot section of the bridge to plunge into the Arkansas River.
* May 27 – A Ghatakpukur-
Kolkattaroute bus carrying office workers veers off and falls into a pond at Chowbagha, West Bengal, India, killing 46, in an incident involving excessive speed and a burst tire.
* June 2 – A bus carrying pilgrims bound for
Multan, falls off a bridge in Jhelum, Punjab of Pakistan, in an incident caused by the driver losing control of the vehicle, killing 40, another 10 injured.
* 15 June – A truck and a bus collide on a highway in
North Chungchong, South Korea, killing 15 and seriously injuring another 20 people. [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/06/15/skorea.crash/index.html CNN report] ]
* July 2 – According to an Indonesian
Metro TVreport, a Damri public bus carrying children and parents from Jenbarplunged into a 24 foot deep ravine at Arjasa, East Java, Indonesia, killing 26, another 44 are injured.
* July 7 – A bus carrying Polish tourists slides off the road and overturns in
Balatonszentgyorgy, Somogy, Hungary, in an incident caused by excessive speed, killing 19, another 31 are injured.
* 19 July – Over 70 die when a bus is hit by a runaway fuel tanker at
Rutotoin Uganda. [ [http://www.fire.org.uk/BBC_News/News2002/July/bbc190702d.htm BBC News Report] ]
* August 7 – According to a
Mexican Televisatelevision report, a Guerrero-Guadalajara regular route bus slammed into a concrete wall at Zinapecuaro, Michoacan, Mexico, in an incident caused by a 26-years old bus driver involving excessive speed, killing 33, another 10 are injured.
* August 9 – According to a
Renmin Ribao(Peoples Daily) of China report, an Urumqi- Kashgarregular route bus plunged off a bridge at the outskirts of Kashgar, Xinjiang Uygur, China, killing 34.
* August 18 – A bus falls into a ravine and overturns near Yantikovo,
Chuvashia, Russia, killing 21 and injuring 37. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2200933.stm BBC News report] ]
* August 18 – According to Turkish NTV television and an Anatolia news agency report, a bus carrying people returning from an annual religious festival at
Nevsehir, skidded off the road and overturned after brake failure at the outskirts of Tarsus, Mersin, Turkey, in an incident caused by excessive speed, killing 29, another 30 are injured.
* September 2 – A bus plummets 520 feet down a ravine at the outskirts of
Coroico, Nor Yungas, Bolivia, killing 29, another 25 are injured.
* September 7 – According to a Bongo radio of Tanzania report, a bus attempted to pass a car and crashed into a truck at the outskirts of
Mbozi, Mbeya, Tanzania, killing 27, another 43 are injured.
* October – 10 die on
Interstate 43just south of Cedar Grove, Wisconsinin a fiery 38 car pileup caused by low visibility due to fog. The accident is considered the worst traffic accident in Wisconsin state history. [Journal Sentinel. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=86864 "10 die in horrific pileup." October 10, 2002. - Retrieved: May 13, 2007.]
* 16 November – A bus crash in Cuesta del Totoral in Northern
Argentinakills over fifty people. [ [http://www.dawn.com/2002/09/17/int7.htm News Report] ]
* November 24 – According to a Filipino television network ABS-CBN report, a regular route bus smashed through an iron railing and plunged 42 feet down into the ravine at the outskirts of
Tagkawayan, Quezon, Philippines, killing 33, in an incident caused by mechanical failure.
* 24 January – A bus crashes into several buildings before bursting into flames, killing 14 in
Slawi, Indonesia. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia–pacific/2690013.stm Bus crash inferno in Indonesia] 24 January, 2003]
* January 26 – According to a government of Cameroon report, a regular route bus veers into oncoming traffic and crashes into another regular route bus. Many vehicles piled up, including Kami Express and Felicite Express Voyages, occurring in
Edéa, Littoral Province, Cameroon, killing 70 people, and injuring 15.
* January 28 – A tourist bus crashes head-on into a truck carrying paint in
Narayan Chand, West Bengal, India, killing at least 40, another 15 are injured.
* March 9 – A charter bus near a Czech ski tourist destination, collides with a truck in between
České Budějoviceand Dolni Dvorisite, Bohemia, Czech Republic, killing 19, another 30 are injured.
* March 9 – According to a Chinese embassy of Kyrgyzstan and a Chinese media report, a regular route bus carrying Chinese citizens crashed and caught fire at the outskirts of
Jeti Ojuz, Kyzyl Suu, Kyrgyzstan, killing 19.
* March 12 – According to a
Radiodiffusion Télévision Sénégalaisereport, a local passenger bus collided with a truck carrying cement at the outskirts of Podor, Saint-Louis Region, Senegal, killing 22.
* 13 April – 21 students killed in a collision between their bus and a truck in Tembi, near
Larissa, Greece. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2947327.stm Greek crash kills 21 teenagers] , 14 April, 2003]
* April 16 – A truck and a bus collide on a main highway in
Cubakilling 30 and injuring 71. [ [http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200304/s835114.htm Bus crash kills 30, injures 71 in Cuba] , April 18, 2003]
* 1 May – 80 people drown in the
Bethlehem bus crash, when the driver drove off a dam and into a reservoir. [ [http://www.transport.gov.za/comm–centre/news/2003/nz0704.html Poor Bus Accident Record for Gauteng] , 4 July, 2003]
* May 9 – 24 are killed, nearly as many are injured when a bus spins out of control and collides with an oil tanker near Shorkot. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3012899.stm Pakistan bus crash kills 24] , 9 May, 2003]
* May 17 – A double-decker bus carrying German tourists crashes on a highway near
Lyon, France killing 28 and injuring 46 passengers. [ [http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=563062003 Coach crash in France kills 28 holidaymakers] , 18 May 2003]
* 4 June – 30 people die in the
Kasganj bus disaster, when a bus attempted to cross a closed level crossing in Indiaand was sliced in half by a train.
* 10 July – 21 killed in a
Tuen Mun Roadbus accident, Hong Kong, when a bus plunged off a motorway viaductafter being hit by lorry. Worst road accident in the history of the territory. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia–pacific/3054709.stm Hong Kong bus crash kills 22] ,10 July, 2003]
* August 22 – According to a
Xinhua News Agencyof China report, a regular route bus with 33 passengers on-board, collided with a Petro truck, plunging into a ravine at an expressway in Yanan, Shanbei, Shaanxi, China, killing 23.
* 10 September – A bus and a truck collide at high speeds during heavy rain near the city of
Valencia, Venezuela, killing 34. [ [http://www.guardian.co.uk/venezuela/story/0,,1039134,00.html 34 die in Venezuela bus crash] ]
* September 20 – A bus and a train collide near Malak Wal in
Pakistani Punjab, killing over 40. [ [http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200309/s950117.htm Pakistan rail crossing crash kills at least 40] , September 20, 2003]
* October 1 – Multi-vehicle accident when a truck collides with a bus on Interstate 90 near
Hampshire, Illinois, killing 8 and injuring 15. [ [http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/489462.html I-90 Bus Crash kills 8] , October 2, 2003]
* October 9 – 59 people, mostly schoolgirls, are killed in a collision between a bus, a truck and a minivan near
Yogyakarta, Indonesia. [ [http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2003/10/09/963107.htm Horror Indonesian smash claims 54 lives] , October 9, 2003.]
* 23 November – 14 passengers were killed in a bus tragedy at kilometer 63 of Lipis and Merapoh roads (Federal Route 8) near
* December 17 – A regular
São Paulo- Fortalezalong distance route bus falls 120 feet down a cliff, when driver loses control on a corner at the outskirts of Diamantina, Minas Gerais, Brazil, killing at least 20, another 40 are injured.
* December 18 – According to an
Emergency Situations Ministry of Ukrainereport, a chartered Simferopol- Alushtabus carrying local coal miners, veered off a mountain road and plunged into a deep ditch at Simferopolskyi, Crimea, Ukraine, killing 17, another 19 are injured.
* 9 January –
Bhakkar bus crash, Pakistan, at least 56 die as bus rolls into a ravine. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3384247.stm BBC News Report] ]
* 22 February – A bus tumbles off a dam into a reservoir near
Fortaleza, Brazil, killing over 40 people [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3509995.stm BBC News Report] ]
* 19 March – 23 people killed in the
Konginkangas bus disaster, Finland.
* March 29 – According to
Ethiopian News Agencyreport, a Gondar- Adis Zemenregular route bus plunged into a gorge at outskirt of Libo Kemkem, Amhara, Ethiopia, killing 37.
* April 1 – According to
China Dailyand Xinhuareport, a local bus plunged off a road into Fuxi Riverat Zigong, Sichuan, China, killing 15, another 39 are injured.
* May 24 – According to
Tunisian news agency TAP report, a bus carrying 54 passengers on-board plunged into the verge of narrow road at outskirt of Korbous, Tunisia, in an incident caused by technical problem, killing 19, another 31 are injured.
* June 8 – According to Indian police official report, a bus carrying wedding family and guest veered out of control and plunged into Bagmati river bridge at
Runisaitpul, Bihar, India, killing 65.
* 16 June –
Islamabad, Pakistan, at least 50 die in collision between a bus and a tractor. [ [http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=41713&SelectRegion=Central_Asia&SelectCountry=PAKISTAN News Report] ]
* June 16 – According to
Xinhuareport, a charter bus carrying Buddhism pilgrims plunged into a lake, and swerved to avoid another vehicle at outskirt of Xinyu, Jiangxi, China, killing 21, in an incident caused by driver has exceed speed.
* 24 June – A tanker carrying 17,000 litres of petrol collides with a bus in
Zahedan, near Bam, Iran. 90 people are killed. [ [http://www.uneptie.org/pc/apell/disasters/irantankerblast.htm UNEP APELL News Report] June 25, 2004]
* 30 July – A Turkish travel bus and an
Iranian truck collide head-on near Erzurumand Erzincanin Eastern Anatolia, killing 26 and injuring 30. [http://www.adac.de/Tests/Mobilitaet_und_Reise/Busreisen/bustest_2004/busunfaelle_europa/default.asp Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982] ]
* August 15 – According to Salvadoran police official report, a local bus plunged to ravine at outskirt of
Carolina, San Miguel, El Salvador, killing 35.
* September 12 – According to Iranian
IRIBtelevision report, a Khoy- Mashhadregular route bus crush by overturned and exhaustion by bus driver at outskirt of Changureh, Avaj, Iran, killing 18.
* October 12 – According to
China Dailyreport, a charter Chongqing- Jiuzhaigoubus crushed into a wall, and bounced back with plunged into Fujiang River, Mianyang, Pingwu, Sichuan, China, killing 24, another 21 are injured. In an incident caused by driver has exceed speed.
* 6 November – Seven are killed and 71 injured when a passenger train hits a car and derails near
Ufton Nervet, England.
* November 7 – According to
Nile TVof Egypt report, a trailer truck carrying much of sugar was overtake a car, and hit with collided the bus at outskirt of Zafarana, Minya, Egypt, a bus carrying returning from Mecca, killing 33, another 14 are injured.
* December 21 – According to
America Televisionof Peru report, a bus plunged 150-feet intoriverat Lima- Paccllpamountainous jungler road at outskirt of Aksaray, Ucayali, Peru, killing 49, another 15 are injured.
* December 25 – According to Geo Television of Pakistan report, a bus plunged into deep ravine at outskirt of Kuntrili, Punjab of Pakistan, in an incident caused by lost control with exceeded speed, killing 18, another injuring are 39.
* 3 January – A truck overloaded with
Tibetan Buddhistpilgrims overturns in Qinghaiprovince, China killing 54. [ [http://english.people.com.cn/200501/05/eng20050105_169693.html 54 ethnic pilgrims killed in Qinghai truck crash] , January 5, 2005]
* 6 January – A truck and a bus collide on a highway in
Fujianprovince, China killing 28 and injuring 19. [ [http://english.people.com.cn/200501/07/eng20050107_169937.html Road accident kills 28 in Fujian Province] , January 7, 2005]
* January 10 – According to
NDTVtelevision of India report, a bus failed to negotiate a sharp curve and lost control with plunged into Almatti Dam, outskirt of Bijapur, Karnataka, India, killing 57.
* January 16 – According to
Colombiantelevision network Canal Caracolreport, a local passenger bus collided with a trailer truck, where coming from the opposite directions at outskirt of La Sabana, Santander, Colombia, killing 27, another injuring are 29.
* January 21 – According to
IRIBtelevision of Iran report, a passenger bus skiddede off the road and plunged into 500-feet ravine, when the driver swerved to avoid rocks falling from the mountain side, between Shiraz-Kazero, Mazandaran, Iran, killing 28.
* 3 February – 55 wedding guests die in the
Nagpur level crossing disaster, India.
* 8 March – A school bus catches fire in
Shandong, China, killing 12 children. [ [http://in.news.yahoo.com/050309/43/2k2cg.html Indo-Asian News Service report via Yahoo! India News] ]
* April 17 – A bus carrying vacationer tourist down a sleep slope and 800-feet below down a ravine at
Great-St-Bernard, between Orsieresand Liddes, Valais, Switzerland, killing 12, another 15 are injured.
* April 19 – According to
Chongqing Televisionof China report, a regular route bus plunged off 240-feet bridge at outskirt of Qianjiang, Chongqing, China, killing 27, another injuring are four.
* 21 April – 31 war veterans die in bus crash on the old
Ho Chi Minh trail, Vietnam. [ [http://newsfromrussia.com/accidents/2005/04/21/59326.html "News from Russia" Report] ]
* 27 April – over 50 people are killed in the
Polgahawela level crossing collisionwhen a bus is hit by train.
* May 7 – A passendger bus plunged 1,000 feet below into gorge at Pampa,
Pallasca, Ancash, Peru, killing 40, another 18 are injured.
* 22 May – 35 are killed in the
Jauja bus disaster, Peruwhen a bus plunges off a bridge. [ [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7937482/ Bus crash in Peru kills at least 35] , May 22, 2005]
* 7 June – 38 people killed in the
Badarmude bus explosion, when a bus struck a land mine.
* June 21 – A charter bus carrying
BSNLIndian state telecom enployees has failed to negotiate a sharp curve and lost control with plundged into a gorge at outskirt of Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 18, another 20 are injured.
* July 9 – A bus from
Srinagarplunged into a deep river gerge off a Delhi- Badrinathexpressway, Rishikesh, Uttaranchal, India, killing 25.
* July 17 – According to
China Dailyreport, a Kaishanof Chongqing- Shenzhenregular route bus slipped off mountain and plunged into a deep valley at outskirt of Enshi, Hubei, China, killing 17, another 37 are injured.
* July 23 – According to
Nigeriangovernment report, a Lagos- Kanoregular route bus plundged into the Gadar Tanburawa river bridge at Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria, killing 56.
* August 24 – According to Guangzhou Television and
Guangdong Televisionreport, when a kindergarten bus crossing an intersection at a bridge, as the lights changed, when a cyclist pulled out in front and a bus ploughed onto the crowded pavement at China State Highway 318, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China, killing 19 and 16 injured.
* August 24 – According to Hubei Television and
China Central Televisionreport, a Wenling-Lichuan regular route bus crashed through the roadside barrier and slide down a 320-feet bank at Lichuan, Hubei, China, killing 14 and injuring 40.
* 23 September – 24 elderly people died when their bus catches fire and burns as they flee
Hurricane Ritanear Wilmer, Texas. [ [http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/23/bus.fire/index.html Police: 24 dead after bus fleeing Rita catches fire] , September 23, 2005]
* 15 October – A speeding bus falls into a river in
Bogra District, Bangladesh, killing 25 people. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/16/asia/web.1016bangla.php Bus accident in Bangladesh kills 25] 16 October 2005]
* December 6 – According to
Beijing Evening Newsreport, a freight truck carrying colcium carbide, other regular route Beijing Bus vehicle suffered a brake failure rammed, and both vehicles are overturned with dropped into 60-feet ditch and caught fire at Badaling Expressway, between Changping- Nankou, outskirt of Beijing, China, killing 24.
* 24 December – A bus plunges into the icy
Yellow Riverin Hanggin Banner, Inner Mongolia, China, killing 28. [ [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-12/27/content_507115.htm China Daily article] ]
* December 28 – An
Ahmedabad- Mumbairegular route bus collided with a chemical tank truck at Barach, Gujarat, India, killing 22.
* January 8 – According to
Ecuadoreanpolice report, two buses collision and crashed on Puerto Inca- NaranjalHighway, Churute, Guayas, Ecuador, in an incident caused by both buses are exceed speed, killing 14, another 30 are injured.
* 13 January – A bus collides with a train in heavy fog in
Krasnodar Krai, Russia, killing 21 people. [ [http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/011406dnintruss.21f95459.html AP report via Denton Record-Chronicle] ]
* 20 January – A bus plunges off a road and into a 300-foot gorge in
Rajouri, India, killing about 50 people and injuring 15. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/20/asia/web.0120bus.php Bus falls into gorge in Indian Kashmir] " 20 January 2006]
* 23 January – Two buses collide head on in
São Paulo Statein Brazil, killing 33 people. [ [http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1553575.htm ABC News Report] ]
* January 31 – A bus carrying Cantonese tourist crush after overturned at national highway,
Hurghada, Red Sea, Egypt, killing 14, and another 30 are injured.
* January 31 – Two buses collide at
Qena, Upper Egypt, killing 18, another 24 are injured.
* 7 February – 12 Turkish tourists die when their bus plunges into a ravine in Rome, Italy. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4687860.stm BBC NEWS | Europe | Tourists die in Rome bus plunge ] ]
* 17 February – One killed, 2 injured in a massive 60-cars pile-up on Autoroute 40 near
Lavaltrie, Quebec. [ [http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/regional/archives/2006/02/20060217-152858.html Carambolage monstre sur l'autoroute 40] , 17/02/2006]
* 18 February –
Cardross road accident: 6 people are killed in an alleged hit and run accident in Cardross, Australia.
* March 10 – According to Turkish news agency
Anatoliareport, A Istanbul- Vanregular route bus careered off the road, and plunged Kelkit Riverat outskirt of Tokat, middle-eastern Turkey, killing 30.
* 22 March – Twelve Americans die when a tour bus falls into a canyon near
Arica, Chile. [ [http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/22/bus.crash/index.html CNN report] ]
* 17 April – 57 people die in the
Maltrata bus crashin central Mexico.
* 20 April – At least 47 die when bus falls into a lake at
Sarupeta, India[ [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12399839/ MSNBC News Report] ]
* April 21 – According to Bangladeshi
ATN Banglatelevision report, a bus carrying wedding couples and families, where plunged into Chitra Riverand gone down 30-feet deep river at outskirt of Narail, Bangladesh, killing 40.
* May 12 – According to
MENAnews agency of Egypt report, a bus carrying weaving company employees has overturned and plunged into canal at between Karr al Battikhand Danietta, Nile Delta, Egypt, killing 21, another 20 are injured.
* 16 May – At least 35 die when two buses collide head-on near
Kumasi, Ghana[ [http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=104304 Ghanaweb news report] ]
* May 17 – According to
ChileanTVN report, a regular routeb bus landed on its roof as plunged off Tinguiririca River, Rancagua, O'Higgins, Chile, killing 23 and injuring 26.
* 26 May – A crashed fuel tanker leaked patrol onto a roadway in
Tega, Benin, which exploded as local people tried to collect it, killing between 54 and 75. [ [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/c99e2b815f01225876e7d4fc559101c4.htm Reuters news report] ]
* May 31 – According to Ethiopian News Agency report, a
Essie- Baherderregular route bus plunged into a 500-feet deep ravine at outskirt of Kelto, Amhara, Ethiopia, Killing 17 and injuring 36.
* 15 June – A bus carrying 45 miners from the Uchucchacua mine to
Limain Perufell into a ravine, killing 28 people. [ [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N14290561.htm Reuters news report] ]
* 23 June –
Sinai bus crash: 11 Arab Israelitourists are killed when their bus overturns. The survivors later initiate legal action, asserting the crash was actually a terrorist attack.
* June 2006 - "Sunday News" - It has happened again. Over a week ago, a speeding minibus crashed into a river in
Mirerani, killing 57 people. Four days later near Arusha, another bus accident claimed four lives. [http://www.dailynews-tsn.com/page.php?id=1655]
* August 18 – According to
Turkish Radio and Television Corporationreport, a bus carrying Iraniantravellers returning from Syriahas collided with a truck at outskirt of Chaldoran, West Azarbaijan, Turkey, killing 17, another injuring are 26.
* August 30 – According to
Moroccannews agency Maghreb Arabe Pressereport, a bus carrying 50 passengers on-board rolled over outskirt of Setta, Chaouia-Ouardigha, Morocco, in an incident caused by bus driver has excessive speed, killing 17, another 26 are injured.
* 13 September – 30 vehicle accident on
Interstate 696in Farmington Hills, Michigan, including a transport truckand two cars that drove off the road into the forestto the side of the freeway. The accident was caused by severe thunderstorms in the area. Thankfully, there were no fatalities or serious injuries, and many of the drivers involved stepped out of their cars and helped to clean up the road with the Michigan State Police. Speed and the weather may have been a factor in the accident. (Courtesy: WDIV-TV, [http://www.clickondetroit.com] )
* 24 September – Forty-seven people die when a bus crashes into a wall on a road in
Papallacta, Ecuador. [ [http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/09/25/crash.ecuador.reut/index.html Reuters report via CNN] ]
* 30 September –
De la Concorde Overpass collapse: Five are killed and six injured when a 65-feet section of a 3-lanes overpass over Autoroute 19 collapses in Laval, Quebec. The incident sparks a province-wide inspection of sometimes decades old overpasses. [, October 1, 2006]
* 1 October – Thirty killed as a bus falls off a bridge into the
Jialing Riverin Chongqing, China. [ [http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/01/china.bus.crash.ap/index.html AP report via CNN] ]
* 3 October – Twelve killed and 16 injured when a truck and a bus collide near Menbej, in northwest
Syria. [ [http://www.sana.org/eng/21/2006/10/04/72926.htm Syrian Arab News Agency report] ]
* 8 October – Forty-two people die when a bus falls down a ravine during foggy and rainy conditions in
Chiantla, Guatemala. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6035797.stm BBC News Report] ]
* 8 October – A double-decker bus crashes into a truck in northern
Argentina, killing 12 people. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/09/america/LA_GEN_Argentina_Bus_Truck_Crash.php AP report via International Herald Tribune] ]
* 9 October – Twelve people helping in Typhoon Xangsane relief efforts are killed in a van accident in
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam. [ [http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=01MIS141006 Vietnam News Agency report] ]
* 15 October – Two buses and a truck collide in
Sivas Province, Turkey, killing 13 and injuring more than 20. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/15/europe/EU_GEN_Turkey_Bus_Crash.php AP report via International Herald Tribune] ]
* 19 October – A bus overcrowded with passengers plunges into a reservoir in
Madhya Pradesh, India, killing 56 people. [ [http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-10-20T104210Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-273053-1.xml Reuters report] ]
* 21 October – A bus plunges off a mountain road between Sucre and
Cochabambain Bolivia, killing 29 and injuring 25. [ [http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-10-21-bolivia-bus_x.htm?csp=34 AP report via USA Today] ]
* 23 October – A bus catches fire in downtown
Panama City, killing 18 people. [ [http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-10-23-panama-bus_x.htm?csp=34 AP report via USA Today] ]
* 25 October – A bus falls off the road and into the
Teesta Riverin Sikkim, India, killing 25 and injuring 45. [ [http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-10-26-india-bus-accident_x.htm?csp=34 AP report via USA Today] ]
* 26 October – A bus crashes down an embankment near
Arequipa, Peru, killing 20 and injuring 12. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/26/america/LA_GEN_Peru_Bus_Crash.php AP report via International Herald Tribune] ]
* 28 October – A crowded bus plunges off a cliff in
Nepal, killing 42 and injuring 43. [ [http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/28/nepal.bus.plinge/ CNN report] ]
* 31 October – Floods sweep away a minibus travelling in
Diyarbakir Province, Turkey, killing 14 people. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/01/europe/EU_GEN_Turkey_Flooding.php AP report via International Herald Tribune] ]
* 8 November – A truck transporting farm workers plunges into a river in
Hoshangabad District, India, killing 29 and injuring 30. [ [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/DEL60162.htm Reuters report] ]
* 13 November – A truck carrying workers is hit by a train near
Cape Town, South Africa. 19 are killed and 6 injured.
* 14 November – A bus plunges into a gorge in
Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 13 and injuring 41. [ " [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/13_die_in_Himachal_bus_accident/articleshow/443092.cms 13 die in Himachal bus accident] " 14 November 2006 ]
* 26 November – A truck carrying passengers veers off the road on a sharp curve in
Tamil Nadu, India, killing 17 and injuring 57. [ " [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/At_least_17_killed_in_TN_road_bus_mishap/articleshow/592034.cms At least 17 killed in TN road bus mishap] " 27 November 2006 ]
* 3 December – A tour bus carrying 45 plunges into a valley in Tainan,
Taiwan, killing 22 and injuring 23. [ " [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L03201024.htm Taiwan bus crashes into ravine killing 22] " 3 December 2006 ]
* 4 December – A bus plunges into a ravine on a mountain road in
Puno Region, Peru, killing 45 people. [ " [http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/12/05/peru.crash.ap/index.html Andean bus crash kills 45] " 5 December 2006 ]
* 7 December – A truck hits a bus, causing it to fall from a highway bridge in Byala,
Bulgaria, and killing 19 people. [ " [http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061207-055347-7506r Bulgaria bus, truck crash kills 19] " 7 December 2006 ]
* 9 December – A trailer dislodges from a moving truck and crashes into a bus on a mountain road in Mae Sot district,
Tak Province, Thailand, killing 12 and injuring 20. [ " [http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/003200612101140.htm 12 killed, 20 injured in bus crash in Thailand] " 10 December 2006 ]
*flagicon|Peru 13 December – A bus plunges into a river after colliding with a truck on a mountain road near
Bagua, Peru, killing 21 and injuring 30. [ " [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/14/america/LA_GEN_Peru_Bus_Crash.php Bus crash leaves 21 dead, 30 injured in Peru's northern jungle] " 13 December 2006 ]
* December 22 – According to Nigerian Vanguard Online report, two passenger buses head collided at
Owena, outskirt of Akure, Ondo, Nigeria, in an incident caused bya bus was trying go overtake a car, when it collided head on with a regular route bus coming opposite direction, killing 17.
* 24 December – A bus goes out of control, overturns and smashes into bridge supports near
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, killing 12 and injuring 40. [ " [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21799728.htm 12 die in South Africa holiday bus crash] " 24 December 2006 ]
* 25 December – Two minivans collide in
Kabardino-Balkaria, Russia, causing a methaneexplosion that kills 13 people. [ " [http://www.dailyindia.com/show/96823.php/Russian-traffic-accident-kills-13-people Russian traffic accident kills 13 people] " 25 December 2006 ]
* A collision in the industrial town of Cuautitlan outside Mexico city saw 24 people lose their lives on 28 December when their bus collided with a 36-wagon freight train. Another 12 passengers were hurt. Police arrested the bus driver who reportedly tried to flee the scene.
* December 29 – According to Yunnan Television report, a bus carrying 21 passengers dash and hit three road workers and then plunged 95-yards down a cliff at outskirt of
Baoshan, Yunnan, China, killing 17 and seven injured.
* 6 January – A bus travelling from
Dhakato Chittagongcrashes and catches fire near Comilla, Bangladesh, killing from 55 to 70 people. [ " [http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-01-06T235138Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-282490-2.xml At least 55 dead in Bangladesh bus fire] " 7 January 2007]
* January 11 – According to
IRIBtelevision of Iranreport, a truck lost control and smashed into a regular route bus at Arak- Malayerexpressway, outskirt of Arak, Markazi, Iran, killing 14.
* 12 January – Two buses collide near the border between
Saudi Arabiaand United Arab Emirates, killing 22 hajjpilgrims. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/12/africa/ME-GEN-Saudi-Hajj-Accident.php Bus collision in eastern Saudi Arabia kills 24 Muslim pilgrims returning from hajj] " 12 January 2007]
* 15 January – A bus collides head-on with a tractor-trailer in
Cesar Department, Colombia, killing 20 people. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/16/america/LA-GEN-Colombia-Traffic-Deaths.php Traffic crash leaves 20 dead in northern Colombia] " 15 January 2007]
* 19 January – A double-decker bus plunges into a river near
Chiang Mai, Thailand, killing 22 people. [" [http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=242358 22 People, Mostly Teachers Killed In Accident In Thailand] " 19 January 2007]
* 22 January – A speeding bus overturns 250 miles northeast of
Kampala, Uganda, leading to 21 deaths and 30 injuries. [" [http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/01/22/uganda.crash.ap/ 21 killed in Uganda bus crash] " 22 January 2007]
* 24 January – A bus falls into a ravine near Huautla,
Oaxaca, Mexico, killing at least 29 and injuring over 24. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/24/america/LA-GEN-Mexico-Bus-Crash.php Bus plunges into ravine in southern Mexico, kills 29] " 24 January 2007]
* 27 January – A truck collides head-on with a speeding bus on the highway between
Aleppoand Ar Raqqahin northern Syria, killing 26 people, including six children, and injuring six others. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/28/africa/ME-GEN-Syria-Accident.php 26 people, including 6 children, killed in road accident in Syria] " 28 January 2007]
* 1 February – A truck veers off its lane and rams into a bus in
Ghana, killing 16. [" [http://www.graphicghana.info/article.asp?artid=15380 Sixteen Perish At Akuse Junction] " 2 February 2007]
* 2 February – A tanker carrying liquefied
carbon dioxidecrashes, overturns and explodes in Tigbao, Philippines, killing 50 and injuring 65. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/03/asia/AS-GEN-Philippines-Tanker-Blast.php Death toll in tanker blast explosion in southern Philippines rises to 50, 65 injured] " 3 February 2007]
* 8 February – A train collides with a bus at a
level crossingin Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam, killing 13 and injuring 24. E1 Train Disaster[" [http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21197624-23109,00.html Vietnamese bus collides with train killing 13] " 9 February 2007]
* 19 February – Two buses collide near Makhado,
South Africa, killing 17 and injuring 45. [" [http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=181&art_id=nw20070219110612101C926441 Bus crash claims 17] " 19 February 2007]
* 22 February – A bus crashed into a crowd celebrating the
Carnivalin Oruro, Bolivia, killing 15 people. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N23191025.htm Bus runs over, kills 15 during Bolivian Carnival] " 23 February 2007]
* 2 March – 7 people are killed when a bus transporting the
Bluffton Universitybaseball team crashes through a barrier and lands on Interstate 75in Atlanta, Georgia. ["Bluffton Bus Accident" 1 June 2007]
* 6 March – A bus collides with a freight train at a level crossing in
Harare, Zimbabwe, killing 37 people. [" [http://za.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-03-06T125243Z_01_BAN633354_RTRIDST_0_OZATP-ZIMBABWE-ACCIDENT-20070306.XML Zimbabwe bus and train collision kills 34] " 6 March 2007] [" [http://english.people.com.cn/200703/13/eng20070313_357191.html Death toll from Zimbabwe's bus-train crash rises to 37] " 13 March 2007]
* 15 March – A minibus overturns and falls into banboo-covered valley in
Muding, Chuxiong, Yunnan, China, killing 14 and injuring 12." [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/World/Rest_of_World/36_killed_in_two_bus_accidents_in_China/articleshow/1771952.cms 36 killed in two bus accidents in China] " 16 March 2007]
* 15 March – A bus veers off the road and plunges into a reservoir in
Hanzhong, Shaanxi, China, killing at least 22 and injuring 11.
* 17 March – A bus overturns and falls into a ditch in
Purulia District, India, killing 16 and injuring 67. [" [http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-239/0703170770151742.htm 16 killed, 67 injured in bus mishap in India's West Bengal] " 17 March 2007]
* 18 March – A bridge collapses near
Gueckedou, Guinea, sending an overloaded truck plunging into a river and killing at least 70 people. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/21/africa/AF-GEN-Guinea-Truck-Accident.php Radio: At least 70 dead in Guinea truck crash] " 21 March 2007]
* 20 March – A bus catches fire and has its brakes fail on a mountain road in
Saraburi Province, Thailand, killing 29 and injuring more than 10. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/20/asia/AS-GEN-Thailand-Bus-Accident.php 29 killed when bus loses brakes, catches fire on mountain road in central Thailand] " 20 March 2007]
* 23 March – A bus and a wagon collide on a highway in
Khairpur District, Pakistan, killing at least 13. [" [http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/03/25/10113456.html 13 killed as bus collides with wagon] " 25 March 2007]
* 28 March – a 8,800 gallons carrying fuel truck catch fire with explode at
Kagarko, Kaduna, Nigeria, killing at least 98, another 100 injured.
* 5 April – A rear tire blows out on a truck as it travels near
Santa Marta, Colombia, causing it to flip and explode and leading to a fire that kills 27. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/06/america/LA-GEN-Colombia-Truck-Crash.php Colombian truck crashes killing 27 on first day of Easter holidays] " 5 April 2007]
* 8 April – A truck strikes a bus on a highway bridge in western
Iran, causing the bus to tumble into a valley and killing 26. An additional 18 were injured. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/08/africa/ME-GEN-Iran-Fatal-Accident.php 26 killed in road accident in Iran] " 8 April 2007]
* 10 April – A passenger bus overturns on a highway near
Rabat, Morocco, killing 12 and injuring 43. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L10567780.htm Moroccan bus crash kills 12, hurts 43] " 10 April 2007]
* 10 April – A bus travelling from
Galleto Colombo in Sri Lankacollides with a beer delivery truck about 40 miles south of Colombo, killing 23 and injuring 56. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/10/asia/AS-GEN-Sri-Lanka-Accident.php 23 dead in road accident in Sri Lanka] " 10 April 2007]
* 11 April – A bus carrying students on a field trip crashes into a tractor trailer on King's Highway 410 in
Brampton, Ontario. One dies and five are seriously injured. [" [http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKNEhavikM] "]
* 14 April – A bus transporting children from
Izmirto Cappadociacollides with a truck near Aksaray, Turkey, killing 33, mostly children, and injuring 35. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/14/europe/EU-GEN-Turkey-Bus-Crash.php Turkey school bus crash kills at least 33] " 14 April 2007]
* 14 April – A bus and a truck collide near
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, causing the truck's gas tank to explode. Twenty-eight were killed and 21 were injured. Some passengers say the bus driver might have fallen asleep. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N14236785.htm At least 21 killed in Mexican bus crash] " 14 April 2007] [" [http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/24246.html 23 killed in crash outside Ciudad Juárez] " 15 April 2007] [" [http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20070415-1752-mexico-buscrash.html Mexico bus crash toll rises to 28 dead, passengers say driver apparently fell asleep] " 15 April 2007]
* 14 April – A crowded small sized bus overturned and burst into flame at outskirt of
Garissa, North Eastern, Kenya, killing 15 and injuring 61. [" [http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL15596370.html At least 15 people killed in Kenya bus crash] " 15 April 2007]
* 19 April – A bus falls down a 150-meter cliff on the road between
Cochabambaand Santa Cruz, Bolivia, killing 26 and injuring 19. [" [http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070009303 Bolivian bus crash kills 26] " 20 April 2007]
* 23 April – A bus drives off a highway
overpassand falls 65 feet in Chongqing, China, killing 24 and injuring seven. Slippery road conditions may have been to blame. [" [http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/04/23/china.crash.reut/ China bus crash kills 24] " 23 April 2007]
* 25 April – A bus drives off a mountain road and falls 300 feet into a stream near
Poonch, India, killing 22 and injuring 14. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/DEL39504.htm Bus falls into stream in Indian Kashmir, 22 killed] " 25 April 2007]
* 29 April – A tanker carrying gasoline catches fire in the
MacArthur Maze, in Oakland, United States, causing 2 sections of bridge, one of which carries I-580, to collapse. The driver escapes with burns, nobody else is injured. [, April 29, 2007]
* 4 May – A truck collides with two other vehicles and crashes into a crowd waiting for a bus in
Lincang, China, killing 16 and injuring more than 40. [" [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-05/05/content_865999.htm May Day holiday road accident kills 16] " 5 May 2007]
* 6 May – A speeding bus veers off a mountain road and falls into a ravine 30 miles north of
Islamabad, Pakistan, killing 21 Muslim pilgrims. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/ISL231721.htm 21 Pakistani pilgrims die in road crash] " 7 May 2007]
* 7 May – A bus drives off a road and plunges 20 meters into a cornfield in
Guizhou, China, killing 17 and injuring 25. [" [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-05/07/content_866952.htm 17 dead, 25 injured in Guizhou bus accident] " 7 May 2007]
* 7 May – A speeding bus and a truck collide 90 km north of
Maseru, Lesotho, killing 39 and injuring 54. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/08/africa/AF-GEN-Lesotho-Bus-Crash.php 39 killed in Lesotho bus crash] " 8 May 2007]
* May 7 – According to
Bolivianpolice official report, a Llallagua- SucreTrans Bustillo bus overturned and crashed at outskirt of El Retiro, Bolivia, killing 16 and injuring 30.
* 10 May – A bus travelling from
Ivory Coastto Togocollides with a truck full of cocoa near Winneba, Ghana, after which another truck and several other vehicles crash into the accident site. About 40 people are killed. [" [http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnBAN230839.html Trucks and bus collide in Ghana, killing 41 people] " 12 May 2007] [" [http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=531126 40 die in multiple Ghana road crash] " 12 May 2007]
* 11 May – A bus swerves on the road, loses control and falls into the Ganges riverbed near
Patna, India, killing 20 and injuring 12. [" [http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP342542.htm Bus plunges into Indian river, 17 killed] " 11 May 2007] [" [http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6624812,00.html India Bus Accident Kills 20, Injures 12] " 11 May 2007]
* 13 May – Three buses collide in
Rivers State, Nigeria, causing a large explosion that kills at least 50 people. [" [http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=78103 50 Die in Multiple Motor Accident in Rivers] " 14 May 2007] [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/13/africa/AF-GEN-Nigeria-Accident.php Bus crash leaves at least 25 dead in southern Nigeria, police say] "13 May 2007]
* 14 May – An oil tanker, bus and truck collide about 40 miles south of
Ahmedabad, India, killing at least 30 people. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/14/asia/AS-GEN-India-Bus-Fire.php Tanker, truck, bus collison leaves at least 30 dead in western India] " 14 May 2007]
* 18 May – Two buses collide on a highway between
Zuliaand Lara in Venezuela, killing 17 and injuring 20. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/19/america/LA-GEN-Venezuela-Bus-Crash.php Bus crash in western Venezuela kills 17, injures 20] " 18 May 2007]
* 20 May – A three-wheeled tractor with a cargo trailer overturns on a mountain road in
Liaoning, China, killing 20 women. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/21/asia/AS-GEN-China-Road-Deaths.php 20 Chinese female farmers killed when tractor overturns on mountain road] " May 20, 2007]
* 23 May – A bus travelling from
Mosul, Iraqoverturns on a highway in Syria, 250 miles north of Damascus, killing 14 and injuring 20. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/24/africa/ME-GEN-Syria-Accident.php Road accident leaves 14 people dead in northern Syria] " 24 May 2007]
* 18 June – A truck hits a bus on a highway between Halle and
Magdeburg, Germany, causing it to plunge down an embankment. Thirteen are killed and 31 are injured. [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/18/europe/EU-GEN-Germany-Bus-Accident.php 13 killed in bus accident in eastern Germany] " 18 June 2007]
* July 1 – A bus and a truck collide on the
Pan-American Highwayin northern Peru, killing 24. [ [http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/070207dnintperucrash.25e3efd.html Bus collides with truck on Peruvian highway; 24 killed] , July 1, 2007]
* July 2 – 19 are killed and 25 injured when a
Solan-bound bus rolls off 300 meters into a ravine near Shimla, India. [ [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/19_killed_in_Himachal_bus_accident/articleshow/2168121.cms 19 killed in Himachal bus accident] , 3 July 2007.]
* July 3 – Two buses collide in the
Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, killing 12 and injuring a further 58. [ [http://au.news.yahoo.com/070703/2/13vww.html Egypt tour bus crash kills 12] , July 3, 2007]
* July 4 – A landslide buries a bus near
Eloxochitlanin the Mexican stateof Puebla. 32 bodies are recovered before the search is ended. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/05/america/LA-GEN-Mexico-Landslide.php Landslide buries at least 40 on Mexican mountain road] , July 4, 2007] [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/06/america/LA-GEN-Mexico-Landslide.php Rescuers recover 32 bodies, end search for victims of Mexican landslide] 5 July 2007]
* July 13 – A tour bus traveling from
Lhasato Shigatseplunges into the Yarlung Tsangpo River about 55 miles west of Lhasain Tibet, killing 14 and injuring 13. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/14/asia/AS-GEN-China-Tibet-Bus-Accident.php Death toll in Tibet tour bus accident climbs to 14] 14 July 2007]
*flagicon|France July 22– a Polish bus with pilgrims overturns, plunges and burns in French
Alpsin Notre-Dame-de-Mésage, near Vizille, Isère, France killing 26 and injuring 24. [" [http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aiWwU1PmOpns&refer=europe] ]
*flagicon|United States August 1 – The
I-35W Mississippi River Bridge, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapses during afternoon rush hour, killing 13 and injuring 100.
*flagicon|Peru August 7 – According to
Peruvian America Televisionreport, a Nazca- Acariand another Civa bus service bound for Limaare head-on collision at Panamericana Sur Highway, Acari, Arequipa, Peru, killing 14, another 30 are injured.
*flagicon|Malaysia 13 August – 20 passengers were killed in the bus crash in North-South Expressway near
Bukit Gantang, Changkat Jering, Perak.
*flagicon|Pakistan August 20 – According Pakistani newspaper
Daily Jangreport, a bus veered off a mountain road, and crashed into a Neelum Valley, Ghori, Azad Kashimir, Pakistan, killing 25, another injuring are eight.
*flagicon|Uganda 26 August – A truck carrying UPDF soldiers and their family crashes and overturns near
Mount Elgon, in Eastern Uganda, killing 72 people, including 57 soldiers, and injuring a further forty. [" [http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/08/27/uganda-crash.html 72 killed in Uganda truck crash] ", August 27, 2007] [" [http://allafrica.com/stories/200708271524.html Uganda: 73 Killed in Army Truck Crash] ", 27 August 2007]
*flagicon|India 8 September – Over half of the 150 passengers aboard a pilgrimage bus are killed when it crashes into a gorge in
Nagbavji, India."", Wikinews, September 8, 2007]
*flagicon|Nigeria 8 September – Two different bush crashes and fires claim a total of 48 lives in northern
Nigeria." [http://allafrica.com/stories/200709100284.html Nigeria: 9 Youth Corps Members, 39 Others Roasted to Death in Auto Accidents] ", "Vanguard" via allAfrica.com, 10 September 2007]
* 9 September – A tractor-trailer carrying
ammonium nitrateoverturn and catches fire near Monclova, Mexico. The subsequent explosions kills over thirty people and injures over 150. [" [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6989661.stm Mexico police probe truck inferno] ", "BBC news", 11 September 2007] [" [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/11/america/LA-GEN-Mexico-Truck-Explodes.php Truck carrying ammonium nitrate blows up, killing 28 in northern Mexico] ", AP via "International Herald Tribune", September 11, 2007.]
* September 16 – According to
Televisaof Mexico report, a Puerto Vallarta-Guadalajara Vallarta Plus regular route bus ran off a mountain road where plunged a ravine at outskirt of Compostela, Nayarit, Mexico, killing 17, another 13 are injured.
*flagicon|Cuba October 7 – A bus and train collide in
Granma Province, Cuba, killing 28. [, "Wikinews", 7 October 2007.]
*flagicon|Brazil October 11 – According to
Rede Globotelevision of Brazil report, a Chapeco- Sao Jose do Cedroregular route bus has collided with a truck, while trying to pass another vehicle on a curve, which happened a truck lost control and hitting several emagency and rescue workers at outskirt of Descanso, Santa Catarina, Brazil, killing 28 and injuring 90.
*flagicon|Portugal November 16 – According to
Lusanews agency and RTP television report, a bus collided with a car and bus flipped over with tumbled down at outskirt of Fatima, Ourem, Portugal, killing 13, another 24 are injured.
*flagicon|Nigeria November 19 – According to
Nigerianpolice official report, an Enugu- Port Harcourtregular route bus rammed into oncoming truck at Ogida, Enugu, Nigeria, killing 21, another injuring are 10.
*flagicon|China November 24 – According to Xinhua and CCTV of China report, a Linchuan Linda bus travelling from Shanghai plunged by landslide at outskirt of
Badong, Hubei, China, killing 31.
*flagicon|India December 14 – According to
United News of Indiareport, a Ludhiana- FerozepurSatluj Express collided with a bus carrying local college students and teachers at crossing of Moga, Punjab of India, killing 17, another 18 are injured.
*flagicon|Egypt December 31 – According to Egyptian Television report, a regular route bus collided with a truck and flipped into an irrigation canal at outskirt of
Dayrat, Asyut, Egypt, killing 19, another injuring are 40.
* 9 January – A 70-vehicle pileup, which killed four persons, and injured 38, occurred on
Interstate 4south of Orlando, Florida. A mix of fog and thick smoke from a nearby environmental burn caused near-zero visibility and is to blame for the accident. [ [http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-fault1108jan11,0,3303365.story 70-VEHICLE CRASH ON I-4] ]
* January 18 – According to
Bolivianpolice official report, a regular route bus ran off the road and plunged into a 600-feet deep ravine at outskirt of Manco Kapac, La Paz, Bolivia, killing 13, another 22 are injured.
* 20 January – A bus carrying Hindu religious pilgrimage plunges into a gorge at
Nashik, Maharashtra, India, killing 39 people and injuring another 40. [ [http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20080121/873547.html Nasik bus accident toll rises to 39] , "Webindia123", Monday, Jan 21]
* 20 January – A regular bus bound for
Mon Stateskids off the road and flips over at outskirt of Kyaik Hto, Myanmar, killing at least 27, injuring another 10.
* January 26 – A bus carrying
Jordaniantourist collides with a tank truck and overturns into a valley at Jarash, Jordan, killing at least 21, injuring at least 30. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/26/africa/ME-GEN-Jordan-Bus-Crash.php Jordan tourist bus crash kills 21, police say] , Associated Press via "International Herald Tribune", January 26, 2008]
* January 29 – A regular route
Chongqing- Shenzhenbus skidded off an icy road packed with snow and fell into a valley at the 98.9 kilometer point of the Guiyang- Zhunyiexpressway, on the outskirts of Zhunyi, Guizhou, China, killing 25, another 13 are injured.
* January 31 – According to media and government of Zimbabwe are confirmed report, a Mhunga bus service bound for
Rencowith 75 passengers onboard, where left side road and crush into a tree Masvingo- Nemanwaroad, Masvingo, Zimbabwe, 14 people are killed, another 55 are injured.
* February 5 – A truck carrying many Hindu pilgrims hit a wall by a roadside, where lost control of the vehicle with overturned at
Hathras, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 12, another 20 are injured.
* February 12 – According to China Daily report, a Chishui-
Zunyiregular route bus veered off highway and plunged into 150-feet high cliff at outskirt of Chishui, Guizhou, China, killing 21, another 14 are injured.
* February 17 – According to
Associated Press of Pakistanreport, a Lahore- Dera Ghazi Khanlocal regular bus veer off a bend in the bridge and plunged onto another road below at outskirt of Aialkot, Punjab of Pakistan, killing 14, another 31 are injured.
* February 17 – According to
GEO Televisionof Pakistan report, a Lahore- Multanpassenger bus carrying over 60 people onboard has caught fire after going off a bridge at outskirt of Pattoki, Bunjab of Pakistan, killing 40 and injuring 22.
* February 18 – According to a Chinese news agency
Xinhuareport, a regular route bus ran into the rear of a tank truck, triggering a fire and explosion which ignited other vehicles, at the 471 kilometer point of the Beijing- Zhuhaiexpressway, on the outskirts of Chenzhou, Hebei, China, killing 15, another 25 are injured.
* February 21 – A bus travelling from
Chittagong, where hit a pole carrying power line and caught fire at Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, killing at least 16, another 20 are injured.
* February 23 – According to Saudi news angency
Saudi Press Agencyreport, Saudi Public Transport (SAPTCO) regular route bus overturned by faulty brakes at outskirt of Abha, Asir, Saudi Arabia, killing at least 25, another 8 are injured.
* February 24 – A local bus veered off the road with plunged into a pond at outskirt of Sonapur,
Assam, India, killing at least 18, another one injured.
* March 1 – An overcrowded local bus with 70 passengers onboard, where a bus driver tried to brake by downshifting, aftermath, a bus plunged off the highway and rolled down a fifty-foot slope, with slid about 200-yard down the highway at
Cuilapa, Guatemala, killing 53, another 17 are injured.
* March 5 – According to Indian police report, a truck carrying Hindu pilgrims has overturned and lost control of another truck while negotiating a sharp turn at
Hathras, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 11, another 20 are injured.
* March 9 – A Mar de Ajó-
Buenos Airesregular route bus disregards the National Highway Route 2's crossing signal, when a Buenos Aires- Mar del Platanightly express train hit the bus at El Rapido Argentine line on the outskirts of Dolores, state of Buenos Aires, Argentina, killing at least 26, another 60 injured.
* March 12 – A series of accidents occurred, 200 vehicles crashed and went up in flames at E 11 highway of
Dubai, UAE, 7 killed and 200 injured. It is considering to be one of the worst road accidents in the country.
* March 14 – According to
Syrian Arab News Agencyreport, a Idlib- Tartusregular route bus was crushed by overturning and hitting a house on the outskirts of Tartus, southwestern Syria, killing 23, another 31 are injured. In an incident caused by exceeding speed.
* March 14 – According to Bangladeshi police and Channel 1 television report, a bus carrying a wedding couples and families collided head-on with truck before plunging into a ditch at outskirt of
Goumadi, Barisal, Bangladesh, killing 12, another 11 are injured.
* March 15 – According to
Iranian news agency IRNAreport, a bus carrying 22 university students collided with truck, both vehicles caught fire immediately after the crash between Andimeshkof Khuzestanand Pol-e-Dokhtarof Lorestan, Iran, killing 22, another 7 are injured.
* March 16 – According to
Peruvian Panamericana Televisionreport, two passenger buses head-on collided and one of the vehicles drove out at Chimbote, Ancash, Peru, killing 14, another 35 are injured.
* March 25 – A major motorway pileup in Austria involving at least 60 vehicles occurred near Seewalchen causing 1 death and 30 injuries. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7312477.stm BBC - Mass motorway pile-up in Austria] ]
* March 25 – A regular route bus plunged off a side of highway and rolled 500-yards down a hillside at
Ocotepeque, Honduras, killing 26, another 19 are injured.
* March 27 – According to
Uganda Broadcasting Corporationreport, a bus overturned and caught fire, when bus escaping overtake a trailer at outskirt of Kingo, Masaka, Uganda, killing 40.
* March 28 – According to
Xinhuaof China report, a Shenzhen- Chongqingregular route bus smashed into a minivan overtaking and then plunged into a river at expressway, Tankou, Sangzhi, Hunan, China, killing 13.
* April 3 – According to
South AfricanSAPA news agency report, a bus bound for Maputocarrying mine workers of Mozambique, left the road, and burst into flames with collided a tree at outskirt of Komatipoort, Mpumalanga, South Africa, killing 17.
* April 4 – According to Indian police and
Zee Newstelevision report, an overcrowded Babughat- Narayanpurcharter bus skidded off the road and plunged into a canal at Kestopur, North 24 Parganas, West Bengal, India, killing 20, another 35 are injured.
* April 12 – According to
Jamahiriya Arab News Agencyof Libya report, a traveller bus collided with a car, and veered off the road and then plunged into river at outskirt of Mizdah, Libya, killing 36, another nine are injured.
* April 12 – A bus carrying British tourists collided with a truck near
Jipijapakilling five and injuring a further 12.
* April 16 – According to Indian
NDTVreport, a bus carrying 60 school children from Bodeli, has overtake a track and lost control, after plunged into Narmada River, outskirt of Vadodara, Gujarat, India, in an incident caused by bus driver has exceed speed, killing 47 people. [cite web |url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7349795.stm |title= Children die in Indian bus plunge |accessdate=2008-04-16 |work= BBC News]
* April 19 – According to Bangladeshi police and
Bangladesh Televisionreport, a Kurigram- Dhakabus carrying workers has overturned and plunge off Jamuna bridge at Tangail, Bangladesh, killing 18, another 35 are injured.
* April 19 – A bus carrying Finnish tourists collided with a 4X4 and overturned on highway near the coastal resort of
Benalmadenakilling 9 and injuring 19. [cite web |url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7356902.stm |title= Nine killed in Spain coach crash |accessdate=2008-04-20 |work= BBC News]
* April 20 – According to Indian police official report, a passenger bus skidded off a road and plunged 370-feet into a deepgorge at outskirt of
Battery Cheshma, Jammu and Kashmir, India, killing 13, another 28 are injured.
* April 23 – According to Indian police official report, an overcrowded mini-van carrying wedding couple and family collided with a truck at outskirt of
Khara, Rajasthan, India, killing 24.
* May 1 – According to Hong Kong Tv ATV and
TVBreport, a bus carrying elderly to a local religious ceremony has overturned and smashed into a barrior at Sai Kung, Hong Kong, killing 17, another injuring are 45.
* May 1 – According to Bolivian police official report, two minivan carrying
Israeliand Japanese passengers head on collide and caught fire at outskirt of Uyuni, Potosi, Bolivia, killing 13.
* May 4 – According to Indian police official report, an overcrowded jeep carrying wedding couple and family crashed into truck at outskit of
Mumbai, India, killing 16.
* May 7 – According to
America Televisionof Peru report, a Lima- Yauyosregular route bus went off a mountain road, and plunged into 330-feet below of Canete Riverat outskirt of Yauyos, Peru, killing 29, another injuring are 15.
* May 8 – According to
Kashmiripolice official report, a bus skidded off a mountain road while negotiating a sharp bend and plunged into 370-feet below the Chenab River, outskirt of Kishtwar, Indian- Kashmir, killing 44.
* May 9 – According to
Tanzanianpolice official report, a bus carrying Catholic Nuns and a truck collided at Morogoro- Dodomaroad, outskirtof Dodoma, Tanzania, killing 15.
* May 9 – According to Tanzanian police official report, a trailer hit a local passenger bus where tried to avoid a smash up with an oncoming vehicle at outskirtof Dodoma,
Tanzania, killing 12, another injuring are 29.
* May 17 – According to Hangzhou Television and Zhejiang Television report, an involving tractor collided by a mini bus and car, where a tractor was blocked and stopped by two vehicles, and exploded at Yongzhong,
Longwan, Wenzhou, Zhejiang, China, killing 16, another injuring are 29.
* May 19 – According to portal site of Nepal news report, an overcrowded regular route
Krishnanagar- SwagadwariDang bus skidded off the mountain road, and plunged 500-feet below into Rapti River, Bagasati, Dang, Nepal, killing 46, another injuring are 28.
* May 19 – According to
TV Aztecaof Mexico report, an Estrella Blanca regular route bus plummeted 200-feet off a mountain highway at outskirt of Metzquitilan, Hidalgo, Mexico, killing 28, and many passengers and a driver has injured.
* May 21 – According to
Press Trust of Indiareport, a Pithoragarh- Bageshwarregular route bus veer off a road and plunged into the ditch where 300-feet below at outskirt of Chordhuroli, Uttarakhand, India, in an incident caused by mechanical fault, killing 21, another injuring are nine.
* May 23 – According to
Iranian newspaper Etemaadreport, a bus collided with a truck at a mountain road between Hamedanand Malayer, Hamedan, Iran, in an incident caused by truck driver has illegally overcoming and a bus driver has exceed speed, killing 24, another injuring are 11.
* May 27 – According to
South African Broadcasting Corporationnews report, a Mvenyane- Matatieleregular route bus plunged 450 feet down an embankment in Kaka Pass, where landed upside down in river at Cedarville, Eastern Cape, South Africa, killing 28.
* June 1 – According to Bolivian police official report, a
La Paz- Yungasregular route bus plunged 630-feet down a ravine at between Asonta- Chulumari, Bolivia, killing 20 and injuring 15.
*flagicon|France June 2 – A bus carrying more than 50 schoolchildren was hit by a regional express train on a level crossing in
Haute-Savoie, France. Seven children died and many others were injured.
*flagicon|China June 3 – According to Shanxi Television report, a Shuozhou transport regular route bus collided with a truck at Yuanyuan,
Shuozhou, Shanxi, China, killing 22 and injuring two.
*flagicon|Vietnam June 3 – According to
Vietnamese newspaper Nhan Danand Tuoi Trereport, a Ho Chi Minh City- Hanoiregular route bus carrying 50 passengers onboard head-on collided with a container on the trailer truck at outskirt of Ham Tan, Binh Thuan, Vietnam, killing fourteen and injuring eighteen.
* June 9 – According to police official of India report, a passenger bus collided with a jeep at
Shahuwadi Kohlapur, Maharashtra, India, killing 17 and injuring 25.
* June 9 – According to Indian Embassy of
Thimphureport, a truck carrying Indian workers smashed and negotiating a narrow wet condition stretch road while returning from work site at Wangkha, Chukha, Bhutan, killing 12.
* June 15 – According to
United News of Indiareport, a Bachri- RampurHimachal Pradesh Road Transport bus plunged into a 500-feet deep gorge at Kalchi More, Rampur, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 16 and injuring six.
* June 16 – According to Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation news report, a NPS bus crashed and lost control by a front tire has bursting at Great East Road, Nyalugwe, Nyimba,
Zambia, killing 28 and injuring 52.
* June 21 – According to Indian police official report, a Rampur-
BasheriHimachal Road Transport bus plunged into george, when crowded road in a narrow curve with drivers error at outskirt of Rampur, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 16.
* June 23 – According to
NTV Turkeyreport, a freight train rammed into minibus, which passing level crossing despite warn up at outskirt of Nurdagi, Gaziantep, Turkey, killing eleven bus passengers.
* June 25 – According to
Nigerian Television Authoritynews report, a multipile motors, including Petyex Transport bus, fuel tanker and six vehicles crashed at Ita bridge, Ikot, Akwa Ibom, Nigeria, killing 25.
* June 28 – According to
Times of Indiareport, a Sakhnikhet- Kotdwarregular route bus plunged into a gorge at outskirt of Bedgaon, Nainital, India, killing thirteen and injuring nine.
* June 29 – According to
Televisaof Mexico report, a truck slammed into two Omnibus de la Laguna passenger buses stopped for repair and mechanical failure at 126 kilometers point from US and Mexican border of Pan American Highway, Ojo Laguna, Chihuahua, Mexico, killing seventeen and injuring fifteen.
* July 1 – According to Reuters, AP, AFP, IRNA news, a bus overturned on a highway at between
Teheran- Qom, Ray Country, Iran, killing 25 and seriously injured 16.
* July 3 – According to
Doordarshantelevision of India report, a Haldwani-Kashipur regular route bus carrying 48 passengers rammed into a tree, when a front tyre of a vehicle burst at Gadappu, Nainital, India, killing nineteen and injuring 29.
* July 4 – According to Interior Minister and civil protection agency of El Salvador report, a bus carrying a local evangelical church members hit by heavy massivie rain with flood, where plunged into Acelhuate River, San Marcos,
San Salvador, El Salvador, killing 31.
* July 5 – According to News Agency of Nigeria report, a bus carrying conveying pupils head on collided with another vehicle at between
Benin City-Asaba expressway, Nigeria, killing eighteen, including twelve children.
* July 7 – According to Bangla Vision television teport, a Chittagong-
Dhakaregular route bus lost control and crashed into another bus in the opposite direction, where plunged into a 200-foot deep road side ditch at outskirt of Comilla, near Chittagong, Bangladesh, killing twenty and injuring fourty.
* July 8 – According to
Bolivisionreport, a truck loaded with sixty passengers and many goods plunged 650-foot down a cliff at outskirt of Potosi, Bolivia, killing 47 and injuring ten.
* July 9 – According to Indian police official report, an overcrowded
Ramgarh- Ranchiregular route bus collided with a truck and plunged into the Chutupala Valley, Netarhat, Jharkhand, India, killing twenty and injuring thirty.
* July 11 – According to SBT television of Brazil report, a
Porto Velho- Roraimaof Braziliaregular route bus carrying 36 passengers head-on collide with trailor truck with gasoline, both vehicles caught fire at BR-364 expressway, Ouro Preto do Oeste, Rondonia, Brazil, killing 22 people.
* July 12 – According to Peruvian police official report, a
Lima- TarapotoCiva transport bus skidded off the highway, after theb driver swerved to avoid hitting on-coming trailer truck at outskirt of Vichaycocha, Huaral, Peru, killing 14 and injuring 10.
* July 18 – According to nepalnews of portal site report, a bus carrying fifty passengers veered off a mountain with plunged into Trishuli River, Narayangadh-
Muglingexpressway, Chandi Bhanjyang, Chitwan, Nepal, killing sixteen and injuring twenty-nine.
* July 20 – According to Indian NDTV report, a truck collided head on with a private mini bus at Etah-Kasganj Expressway, outskirt of
Etah, Uttar Pradesh, India, at least sixteen dead.
* July 21 – According to Peruvian TV Peru report, a Soyuz Transport bus carrying Hermanos Flores Group head collided with a
Huaral- Limaregular route bus at Pasamayo, Huaral, Peru, Soyuz bus crossed into a lane of oncoming traffic in an attempt to pass another vehicle, at least 25 dead and injuring sixty.
* July 22 – According to Colombian RCN television report, a
Puerto Asis- Pastoregular route bus cassying fifty passengers plunged into a 1600-foot deep ravine at outskirt of Mocoa, Putamayo, Colombia, at least twenty-three dead and injuring twenty-one.
* July 23 – According to Indian Khaleej Times report, a Jammu-Srinagar regular route bus crushed by lost control at Banihal Pass, Sher-Bibi, Jammu and Kashimir, India, killing seventeen and injuring thirty-five.
* July 29 – According to
Philippine National Policeofficial and an ABS-CBN television report, a packed commuter bus strayed into an oncoming lane, and crashed head-on collide with another bus at Pamplona, Camarines Sur, Philippines, at least eleven dead and injuring twenty-nine.
* July 31 – According to
Indian Police Serviceand Times of India report, a bus carrying Nepalease pilgrims plunged into Alkananda Riverwith killing at least thirty-six and injuring eleven at Panauti, Kaverepalanchowk, Uttarakhanda, India.
* August 2 – According to
Indian Police Serviceand NDTV report, an overloaded truck with 125 farm laborers plunged into a small river and killing at least sixty at Khagaria, Bihar, India.
* August 3 – At least nineteen people killed and injuring many passengers, a bus and a truck collision, and bus driver swerved to the left, when the driver dosed off behind the wheel at Sirjan-
Bandar Abbasroad, outskirt of Sirjan, Kerman Province, Iran. [cite web | url=http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/article_26234,shtml, Iran bus accident kills 19 |work=Persian Journal]
* August 8 –
Sherman, Texas- according to Sherman Police Department official report, an illegally operated charter bus carrying fifty-five people of Vietnamese-AmericanCatholic, Marian Pays group skidded off at Dallas-Oklahoma Highway 75, at least seventeen passenger died and injuring more than fourty. Sherman, Texas bus accident.
* August 15 – At least fifteen children died, a bus with fourty people, including thirty-two children of Baami School has lost control and plunged into Phalguni River in Ulaibitta village,
Mangalore, Karnataka, India. [cite web| url=http://www.sahilonline.org/english/news.php?catID=coastalnews&nid=3077, 25 rescued, 15 dead in Mangalore Bus Accident |work=Sahilonline]
* August 15 – At least twenty-nine died, two passenger buses, mostly Italian and
Dominican and collied with two pickup trucka at La Romana, La Altagracia, Dominican Republic. [cite web |url=http://www.france24.com/en/20080815-sixitalians-among-23-killed-dominican-bus-crash, Six Italians among 23 killed in Dominican bus crash |work=France 24]
* August 16 – At least fifteen died and injuring twenty, a bus plunged off mountain road into 260-meter deep ravine at Mianchi Country,
Henan Province, China. [cite web|url=http://www.cctv/com/english/20080816/107068.shtml, Overloading blamed for bus plunge killing 15 in China|work=China Central Television]
* August 18 – At least fifty died, a bus tried to cross a bridge, and swollen and plunged Glace River by
Tropical Storm Fayat outskirt of Beaumont, Grand'Ase, Haiti. [cite web |url=http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/08/18/haiti.storm.ap/index.html, Bus overturns in Haiti flooding |work=CNN]
* September 13 – A
Bazhong- Ningbobus plunged into a 100-meter deep valley at Nanjiang, Sichuan, China, at least fifty-one killed. [ [http;//www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-09/14/content_7025504.htm, 51 killed, after bus plunges into valley in SW China] ]
* 15 September – A bus (coach) carrying 49 passengers, mostly elderly Slovakian tourists from
Slovak, Kosiceto Vodice, hit a delivery truch, and crashed on a Croatianroad, west coast of Egypt's Sinai peninsula, killing 14 people (7 foreign tourists from Netherlands, Russia and Ukraine and 5 Egyptians) and injuring 37 others. Outside the resort of Ras Sadr, it skidded off the road and banged into a bridge pillar. [ [http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jaDV_vzLgHfJSCM3ZDxXwMdfj8xA ukpress.google, 14 dead in tourist bus crash] ] [ [http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Tourists-Dead-As-Bus-and-Truck-Crash-In-Egypt/Article/200809315099513?lpos=Home_0&lid=ARTICLE_15099513_Tourists%2BDead%2BAs%2BBus%2Band%2BTruck%2BCrash%2BIn%2BEgypt sky.com, Tourists Dead In Egypt Bus Crash] ]
*flagicon|Vietnam September 21 – A bus crashed with a
truckcoming from the opposite direction on Sundaymorning at around 4 a.m. in Vietnam's central Nghe An province, killing 16 people on the bus and leaving 13 injured, according to the local traffic safety bureau. [ [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/21/asia/AS-Vietnam-Bus-Accident.php Bus, truck collide, killing 16 in central Vietnam] ]
*flagicon|USA October 3 – A fiery collision between an 18-wheeler
tractor- trailer, driven by Andrew David Carter, 31, and a state van, killed 6 applicants for prison jobs and their driver, 36-year-old correctional officer Rodney Kelley, about 20 miles southeast of Montgomery, Alabamarural highway of U.S. 82 ( U.S. Route 82). Department of Corrections staff transported them from a state prison near Union Springsto another DOC prison. [ [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/us/04brfs-001.html?ref=us www.nytimes.com, labama: 7 Die When Tractor-Trailer Hits Van] ] The 6 applicants were identified as Julius Bouier, 26; Lionel Moore, 18; John Foye Jr., 20; Brandon Anglin, 23; Henry Simmons Sr., 45; and Derrick Ivey, 22. [ [http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081003/ap_on_re_us/prison_van_crash yahoo.com, 7 killed in fiery Ala. collision on rural road] ] [ [http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jJIE2mzBnt1By1ugEE08MMsLATHAD93J5VI80 ap.google.com, 7 reported killed in fiery Ala. prison van crash] ]
*flagicon|USA October 5 – A
Greyhoundchartered bus, with 46 people, traveling from Sacramento, Californiato Colusa Casino Resort, veered across Lone Star Road, Colusa County, and cartwheeled down an embankment southeast of Williams, California, killing at least 10 passengers and injuring at least 38. [ [http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/California-Casino-Bus-Crash-Kills-10-Injures-Dozens-After-Bus-Overturns-Near-Sacramento/Article/200810115113889 sky.com, Ten Die In California Bus Crash] ] [ [http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-buscrash6-2008oct06,0,6970047.story latimes.com, At least 7 killed, 38 injured in Greyhound bus crash] ]
*flagicon|Thailand October 10 – A
Thai tourbus with Kaset Techno Khon Kaen Universitystudents on a field trip overturned coming down a steep hill in Nadidistrict, Prachinburi, at 0330 local time (2030 GMT), 135 km (83 miles) north-east of Bangkok, killing 22 people (the driver, 18 male and 3 female students), and seriously injuring 50 others, according to Majors Suchart Yaemsak and General Sanchai Chaiamporn. [ [http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=nw20081010082456200C239166 iol.co.za, University students die in bus crash] ] [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7662654.stm news.bbc.co.uk, Thai bus crash kills at least 22] ] [ [http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gm-XCm9fJDiw6zqvAlj3OxUNY94gD93NEA8O0 ap.google, 22 die in Thailand bus crash] ]
List of bridge disasters
List of rail accidents- includes level crossingaccidents.
List of level crossing accidents
* [http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!4FC3316B3CBDCA99!334/ Early Auto Accidents] A Fascinating Collection of Photos of Auto Accidents from the 1920s to 1950's
* [http://www.mapreport.com/subtopics/d/c.html Partial list of Highway disasters]
* [http://www.descansos.org Descansos.org :: Project to create awareness for victims of vehicular fatalities. Painting the story of victims to create love, peace and public awareness.]
* [http://www.vehiclerecovery.org/history/index.htm A Condensed History of Vehicle Recovery in the United Kingdom.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of pipeline accidents — The following is a list of pipeline accidents: This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries. Contents 1 Bel … Wikipedia
List of airship accidents — Accidents of significant historical importance * 1919 American Wingfoot Air Express . Caught fire over downtown Chicago, 2 passengers, one crewmember and 10 people on the ground killed, 2 parachuted to safety. [… … Wikipedia
List of horse accidents — This is a list of people and fictional characters who had severe injuries, or died from accidents related with horses. Some of the listed accidents had important political and historical consequences, which are given when relevant.… … Wikipedia
List of rail accidents (2000–present) — List of rail accidents from 2000 to the present. The list includes some terrorist bombings. For accidents before 1950, see List of pre 1950 rail accidents .For accidents between 1950 and 1999 (inclusive), see List of 1950 1999 rail accidents .For … Wikipedia
List of rail accidents (1950–1999) — List of rail accidents from 1950 to 1999.For historic accidents before 1950, see List of pre 1950 rail accidents .For accidents from 2000 to the present, see List of rail accidents . notoc 1950s 1950* February 17 1950 ndash; Rockville Centre, New … Wikipedia
List of rail accidents (pre-1950) — For a list of 1950 1999 rail accidents, see List of 1950 1999 rail accidents.For a list of post 2000 rail accidents, see List of rail accidents. notoc Pre 1830 1815 * 1815, exact date unclear ndash; Philadelphia, Co Durham, England: 16 people,… … Wikipedia
List of rail accidents in the United Kingdom — This list is of railway accidents in Britain sorted chronologically. For a list sorted by death toll see List of British rail accidents by death toll. It does not include incidents that did not involve rolling stock, such as the King s Cross fire … Wikipedia
List of people who died in road accidents — This is a list of notable people who have been killed in road accidents. This list does not include those who were killed competing on closed road events whether in motorsport or in competitive cycling events AF*Pål Arne Fagernes (1974… … Wikipedia
List of accidents and disasters by death toll — This page lists accidents and disasters sorted by death toll. It does not include natural disasters, or death tolls caused by deliberate violence. Explosion Not including bombings, aviation incidents and mine disasters * 1,950 Halifax Explosion,… … Wikipedia
List of car crash songs — The car crash song emerged as a popular pop and rock music teenage tragedy song during the 1950s and 1960s at a time when the number of people being killed in vehicle collisions was rising fast in many countries. In the UK the number of… … Wikipedia