- Perestroika Movement (political science)
The Perestroika Movement in
political scienceis a faction within political science that works for methodological pluralismand more relevance of political science to people outside the discipline. The movement is against what it sees as dominance for quantitative and mathematical methodology in political science. Such dominance breeds academic isolation and poor quality in scholarship, according to the movement (Schram and Caterino 2006).
The Perestroika Movement began in 2000 with an anonymous e-mail message sent by one “Mr. Perestroika” to the editors of the American Political Science Review calling for "a dismantling of the Orwellian system that we have in APSA." [ [http://www.psci.unt.edu/enterline/mrperestroika.pdf E-mail from Mr. Perestroika, October 17, 2000.] ] The message went to seventeen recipients who quickly forwarded it to others, and within weeks the Perestroika Movement became a force calling for change in the American political science community (Monroe 2005).
In the years that followed, the Perestroika Movement established itself with its own literature, conferences, websites, and blogs. Main books about the movement are Monroe (2005) and Schram and Caterino (2006). Flyvbjerg (2001) has been called a manifesto for the Perestroika Movement.
ources and further reading
* [http://books.google.com/books?id=yVBXPf50EV0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22making+social+science+matter%22&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=CNCTRgLt1z1rRBTbFsPrUf_w_M0 Flyvbjerg, Bent, "Making Social Science Matter: Why Social Inquiry Fails and How It Can Succeed Again" (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001).]
* [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=0300099819 Monroe, Kristen Renwick, ed., "Perestroika!: The Raucous Rebellion in Political Science" (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2005).]
* [http://books.google.com/books?id=kyJ5GJ7DeMQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22Making+Political+Science+Matter%22&sig=s_bqA18zhy02NKJwsJHJj3vHzKc Schram, Sanford F., and Brian Caterino, eds., "Making Political Science Matter: Debating Knowledge, Research, and Method" (New York: New York University Press, 2006).]
Making Political Science Matter
Making Social Science Matter
* [http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22perestroika+movement%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 Perestroika Movement on Google]
* [http://books.google.com/books?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22perestroika+movement%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wp Perestroika Movement on Google Books]
* [http://scholar.google.com/scholar?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22perestroika+movement%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=ps Perestroika Movement on Google Scholar]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
History of political science — While the study of politics is first found in ancient Greece and ancient India, political science is a late arrival in terms of social sciences. However, the discipline has a clear set of antecedents such as moral philosophy, political philosophy … Wikipedia
Science wars — The Science wars were a series of intellectual battles in the 1990s between postmodernists and realists (though neither party would likely use the terms to describe themselves) about the nature of scientific theories. In brief, the postmodernists … Wikipedia
Political abuse of psychiatry in the Soviet Union — Soviet Union … Wikipedia
Critical theory — Sociology … Wikipedia
Multimethodology — Multimethodology, mixed methods research, compatibility thesis or pragmatist paradigmis an approach to professional research that combines the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data. The term multimethodology appears to… … Wikipedia
Post-autistic economics — The movement for Post Autistic Economics (PAE) was born through the work of economist Bernard Guerrien. Started in Spring 2000 by group of disaffected French economics students, Post Autistic Economics first reached a wider audience in June 2000… … Wikipedia
international relations — a branch of political science dealing with the relations between nations. [1970 75] * * * Study of the relations of states with each other and with international organizations and certain subnational entities (e.g., bureaucracies and political… … Universalium
Bibliography — INTRODUCTION The number of books dedicated to the late Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) and its successor state, the Russian Federation, is virtually incalculable. This surfeit is due to a number of factors: Russia’s geographic size and … Historical Dictionary of the Russian Federation
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
Deng Xiaoping — This is a Chinese name; the family name is Deng. Deng Xiaoping 邓小平 Deng Xiaoping in 1979 Chairman of the … Wikipedia