- National University of Engineering Faculty of Architecture
The Faculty of Architecture, Urbanism and Arts (Spanish: Facultad de Arquitectura, Urbanismo y Artes) is one of the eleven constituent faculties of the National University of Engineering (Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería) located in Lima, Peru. It was founded in 1910 as the Special Section of Builders Architects (Sección Especial de Arquitectos Constructores) making it the first school of architecture to be established in Peru. The faculty is traditionally known as one of the leading schools of architecture in Peru because it paved the way of architecture in the country.
HistoryFile:Walter Gropius FAUA.jpg
Before the foundation of the school, architecture was taught as an specialized course for scientists at the National University of San Marcos since 1868 and for civil engineers after the foundation in 1876 of the School of Engineers (Escuela de Ingenieros). The faculty was established by president Augusto B. Leguía on April 30, 1910 under the direction of Polish architect Ricardo de Jaxa Malachowski. During its early years, the curriculum was dominated by the courses on construction and sciences, however, as time passed, the influence of the teaching methodology of the Beaux-Arts increased. In 1946, as a result of a new organization within the School of Engineers, the Special Section of Builders Architects changed its name to Department of Architecture (Departamento de Arquitectura). This reform gave rise to modern architecture ideas as the influence of academic architecture in the school had started to decline. Such change in the curriculum was complemented with the visits of foreign architects like Walter Gropius and Josep Lluís Sert in 1953. The first one of them attended the graduation ceremony of that year. In 1955 as the School of Engineers became the National University of Engineering, the faculty changed its name to the present one.
The construction of the present building of the faculty began in 1951 with funds from the Peruvian State, private companies and even teachers and students. The architectural design was made by the Italian architect Mario Bianco. The building was one of the first to be constructed in the campus. Its completion was the result of a concerted effort successfully led by the Peruvian architect Fernando Belaunde who was chief of the Departement at that time. The construction was finished in 1955 and the building became one of the finest examples of modern architecture in Peru.
Admission for freshmen includes the regular three-day-examination of the National University of Engineering plus a vocational examination intended to measure whether a candidate is skillful to learn architecture or not, this test was given for the first time in 1952. The faculty enrolls up to 48 students every semester. The undergraduate courses are divided into academic areas such as architectural design, urbanism, history and social sciences, technology and construction and applied arts among others. The faculty grants the Bachelor of Architecture degree, after successfully completing the five-year curriculum, and the Master of Architecture degree, after the successful defense of a thesis.
- ^ Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, pp. 36–37.
- ^ Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, p. 52.
- ^ Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, pp. 24–27.
- ^ a b Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, pp. 198–199.
- ^ Alfredo Linder, "Recuerdos de Walter Gropius", p. 45.
- ^ Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, pp. 220–221.
- ^ Syra Álvarez Ortega, La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, pp. 210, 215.
- ^ (Spanish) Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería, Vacancies for the second semester of 2007. Retrieved on January 1, 2007.
- ^ (Spanish) Facultad de Arquitectura, Urbanismo y Artes, Oficina de grados y títulos. Retrieved on January 18, 2007.
- (Spanish) Álvarez Ortega, Syra. La formación en arquitectura en el Perú, antecedentes, inicios y desarrollo hasta 1955, Lima: Instituto de Investigación de la Facultad de Arquitectura, Urbanismo y Artes, 2006. ISBN 9972-794-11-3
- (Spanish) Linder, Alfredo. "Recuerdos de Walter Gropius". In El Arquitecto Peruano, Nº 353–354, July–August, 1969.
- (Spanish) López Soria, José Ignacio. Breve historia de la Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería, Lima: Empresa petrolera Unipetro ABC, 2003.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National University of Engineering — Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería Motto Scientia et labor Established 1876 … Wikipedia
National University of Singapore — Coat of Arms of NUS Established 1905 (1905) Type Autonomous Endowment … Wikipedia
National University of San Marcos — Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos Latin: Academia S. Marci Vrbis Regvm in Perv Motto … Wikipedia
National University of Laos — ມະຫາວິທະຍາໄລແຫ່ງຊາດ Established October 1996 Type Public President Assoc. Prof. Soukkongseng SAIGNALEUTH … Wikipedia
University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore — Infobox University name=University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore motto= Read in the name thy Lord who creates! established=1921 type=Public Vice Chancellor=Lt. Gen. (retd) Muhammad Akram Khan city=Lahore state=Punjab country=Pakistan… … Wikipedia
National University of San Juan — Universidad Nacional de San Juan Motto Education for the Future, Dinamic Education Established 1973 Type Public … Wikipedia
National University of the Northeast — Universidad Nacional del Nordeste Motto Qualitatum, Eqelentia et Pertinanti Motto in English Quality, Excellence and Pertinence Established … Wikipedia
National University of Rosario — Universidad Nacional de Rosario Motto Confingere Hominem Cogitantem Established 1968 Type … Wikipedia
University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar — University of Engineering Technology Established 1980 Type Public Academic staff 289 Students 3000+ … Wikipedia
National University (Philippines) — National University Pamantasang Nasyonal Motto Patriotism and Nationalism: A Legacy of Dynamic Filipinism Established August 1, 1900 … Wikipedia