- Cornelius, North Carolina
Cornelius, North Carolina — Town —
Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State North Carolina County Mecklenburg Area – Total 8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2) – Land 8.5 sq mi (21.9 km2) – Water 0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2) Elevation 804 ft (245 m) Population (2000) – Total 11,969 – Density 1,415.5/sq mi (546.5/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 28031 Area code(s) 704 FIPS code 37-14700 GNIS feature ID 0983573 Website www.cornelius.org
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 8.7 square miles (23 km2), of which, 8.5 square miles (22 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (3.20%) is water. Cornelius is one of three towns in Mecklenburg county north of Charlotte. Along with its sister towns - Davidson and Huntersville - Cornelius serves as a suburb to Charlotte, NC.
As of the 2011, there were , 23,000 households, and 3,374 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,415.5 people per square mile (546.2/km2). There were 5,716 housing units at an average density of 676.0 per square mile (260.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 91.65% White, 5.62% African American, 0.21% Native American, 1.24% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.79% of the population.
There were 5,113 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 27.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 36.7% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.9 males.
According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the town was $76,520, and the median income for a family was $97,469. Males had a median income of $60,514 versus $39,489 for females. The per capita income for the town was $45,023. About 3.6% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.
Schools and libraries
The citizens of Cornelius, NC attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Cornelius Elementary and JV Washam Elementary. Middle schools include the Bailey Middle School and Community School of Davidson
- Davidson Day School
- Lake Norman Christian School
- Grace Covenant Academy
- New Beginnings Christian Academy
- Phoenix Montessori Academy
- Cannon School, located in nearby Concord, serves Cornelius families
- St Mark's Grammar School, located in nearby Huntersville, serves Cornelius families
- Woodlawn School , located 1 mile north of Davidson College
Cornelius is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located in the heart of Cornelius, on Catawba Avenue just east of exit 28 on I-77.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=16000US2979820&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US29%7C16000US2979820&_street=&_county=cornelius&_cityTown=cornelius&_state=04000US37&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=
- ^ "Corneliis branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". http://plcmc.org/Locations/branches.asp?id=6. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Official Cornelius, NC website
- Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce
- Cornelius Real Estate
- Visit Lake Norman
- Cornelius Communities
- Antiquity Cornelius, NC
- Cornelius branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County
Charlotte Metropolitan Area Counties Major city Cities and towns
Cities and towns
FootnotesBold = principal metro cities • Italic = places and counties part of CSA Municipalities and communities of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina City Towns Unincorporated
Caldwell | Hopewell
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
North Carolina locations by per capita income — North Carolina is the twenty eighth richest state in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $20,307 (2000). North Carolina Places Ranked by Per Capita Income Rex, North Carolina $148,073 Biltmore Forest, North Carolina $85,044… … Wikipedia
North Carolina State Capitol — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
North Carolina House of Representatives — North Carolina General Assembly Type Type … Wikipedia
North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles — The current North Carolina license plate Agency overview Preceding agencies North Carolina Highway Commission North Carolina Department of Transportation and Highway Safety … Wikipedia
North Carolina Provincial Congress — The North Carolina Provincial Congresses were extra legal unicameral legislative bodies formed in 1774 through 1776 by the people of the Province of North Carolina, independent of the British colonial government. Contents 1 The five congresses… … Wikipedia
North Carolina — This article is about the U.S. state of North Carolina. For other uses, see North Carolina (disambiguation). The Old North State redirects here. For the song of the same name, see The Old North State (song). State of North Carolina … Wikipedia
North Carolina census statistical areas — The United States Census Bureau has defined 5 Combined Statistical Areas (CSAs), 15 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), and 26 Micropolitan Statistical Areas (μSAs) in the State of North Carolina. The following table describes these… … Wikipedia
North Carolina Highway 27 — NC 27 Route information Maintained by NCDOT Length: 198 mi … Wikipedia
North Carolina General Assembly of 2011–2012 — The North Carolina General Assembly 2011–2012 session is the current session of the state legislature, which first convened in January 2011. Members of the North Carolina Senate and the North Carolina House of Representatives were elected in… … Wikipedia
North Carolina breweries — Contents 1 History 2 Breweries 3 See also 4 References 5 External links … Wikipedia