- Patrice Rushen
Infobox musical artist 2
Name = Patrice Rushen
Background = solo_singer
Birth_name = Patrice Louise Rushen
Born = birth date and age|1954|9|30
Los Angeles, California, United States
Jazz, R&B, Pop, Soul
pianist, singer, songwriter, composer, record producer, music director
Years_active = 1972–present (singer)
Label = Prestige, Elektra, Arista, GRP, Aix Entertainment, Discovery
URL = [http://www.patricerushen.com/ www.patricerushen.com]
Patrice Louise Rushen (born
September 30, 1954in Los Angeles, California) is a Grammy Awardwinning American R&Bsinger, songwriter, composer, and pianist.
Rushen demonstrated her musical potential at a young age; she was regarded as a
child prodigy. In her teens, she won the prestigious 1972 Monterey Jazz Festival. She earned her degree in music from the University of Southern California. As a mature woman, she became a jazz master and top musical director.
Due to her musical talent, Patrice Rushen has made many ground-breaking achievements. She became the first woman to serve as head composer/musical director for the
Grammy Awardsand the Emmy Awards, the first woman to serve as musical director for the NAACP Image Awardsbroadcast, an honor she held for twelve consecutive years. Rushen has been the only woman to be a musical director/composer for the People's Choice Awards, HBO's Comic Relief and the only woman musical director/conductor/arranger for a late-night television talk show, The Midnight Hourwhich aired on CBS.
In addition, Rushen was named musical director/composer for Newsweek's first American Achievement Awards, broadcast on CBS from the Kennedy Center and she served as the musical director for
Janet Jackson's World Tour, "janet."
Rushen has also achieved great success as a singer. A classically trained pianist, Rushen has spent great deal of time channeling her skills towards making great music. Won competition at the 1972
Monterey Jazz Festivalput Patrice into the spotlight. The attention garnered from this earned her a contract with Prestige Recordsin 1973.
After recording three albums and becoming an in-demand session player, including with artists such as
Jean-Luc Ponty, Rushen signed with Elektra Recordsin 1978. Forging an engaging jazz/R&B/funk fusion, this fresh mixture of styles gave her great success with a string of Top Ten R&B hits, including "Haven't You Heard," " Forget Me Nots," "Feels So Real," "Watch Out," "You Remind Me," and "Never Gonna Give You Up" from her first five albums (Patrice, Pizzazz, Posh, Straight From the Heart, and Now). Rushen also performed her single "I Need Your Love" on the hit show Soul Trainin 1981. She also penned the opening theme for The Steve Harvey Show. Her mentor and friend is Quincy Jones. Rushen also plays multiple instruments including flute, piano, percussion, and clarinet.
Samples & Covers
1982hit song " Forget Me Nots" has been sampled several times. The most notable has been its inclusion as the driving musical element in Will Smith's "Men In Black," the theme to the 1997 film of the same name. The song won a Grammy, which co-writers Freddie Washington and Terry McFaddin also shared. Also in 1996, "Forget Me Nots" was featured prominently in the bridge of George Michael's #1 hit " Fastlove."
* The 1998 hit "Strawberries" by female rapper Smooth samples "Where There Is Love" from Rushen's 1982 album "Straight From The Heart".
* The uptempo "Haven't You Heard" was sampled prominently into gospel artist
Kirk Franklin's 2005 hit " Lookin' 4 U," with gospel lyrics written by Franklin. The song was also interpolated into Zhane's early 90's hit single "Groove Thang."
* R&B singer
Musiq Soulchildcovered Rushen's "Settle For My Love" as a duet with sibling group Aaries on 2000 debut album " Aijuswanaseing."
*Patrice Rushen's "Remind Me" from her 1982 album "Straight from the Heart" was sampled by 9th Wonder on the remix of "The Cross" from the 9th Wonder remix album, "
*On her 1995 debut album "Faith", singer-songwriter
Faith Evansused a sample from "Remind Me" on the song "Fallin' In Love".
*The 1995 single "
Temperature's Rising" from New York rap duo Mobb Deepsampled "Where There Is Love" from Rushen's 1982 album "Straight From The Heart".
*In 1994 Long Beach rapper
Lil' ½ Deadreleased the album The Dead Has Arisen. Track #2 "12 Pacofdoja" contains a sample of "Where There Is Love" from Rushen's 1982 album "Straight From The Heart" modified into the G-Funkstyle of the era.
ASCAP Songwriter's Award, 1988; USC Black Student Assembly, Legacy of Excellence Award, 1992; Crystal Award, American Women in Film, 1994; AS CAP Award, Most Performed Song in Motion Pictures for 1997 for "Men in Black," 1998.
* Burning Sands (2008) (pre-production)
For One Night(2006) (TV)
* Just a Dream (2002)
* Our America (2002) (TV)
* Baby of the Family (2002)
Piano, Bass and Drums(2002 Aix Entertainmen), (DVD Audio)
* The Killing Yard (2001) (TV)
Fire & Ice(2001) (TV)
* Cora Unashamed (2000) (TV)
Ruby Bridges(1998) (TV)
* America's Dream (1996) (TV)
* A. Philip Randolph: For Jobs and Freedom (1996) (TV)
The Steve Harvey Show(1996) TV Series (unknown episodes)
* The Best of Robert Townsend & His Partners in Crime (1991) (TV)
* "The Midnight Hour" (1990) TV Series (unknown episodes)
* Without You I'm Nothing (1990)
* George Michael: I'm Your Man - A South Bank Show Special (2006) (TV) (writer: "Fastlove")
* Fahrenheit (2005) (VG) (performer: "Hang it Up")
Men in Black(1997) (writer: "Men In Black")
* Waiting to Exhale (1995) (performer: "And I Gave My Love To You")
* Big (1988) (writer/performer: "FORGET ME NOTS")
* Dominick and Eugene (1988) (performer: "Somewhere")
* TV in Black: The First Fifty Years (2004) (V) Herself
* "VH-1 Where Are They Now?" Herself (1 episode, 2002)
* "100 Greatest Dance Songs of Rock & Roll" (2000) (mini) TV Series Herself
* Monterey Jazz Festival: 40 Legendary Years (1998) (V) Herself (hostess)
* The Best of Robert Townsend & His Partners in Crime (1991) (TV) Herself
* "Top of the Pops" Herself (1 episode, 1982)
Soul TrainHerself (1 episode, 1981)
* The 48th Annual Grammy Awards (2006) (TV) (musical director)
* The 47th Annual Grammy Awards (2005) (TV) (musical director)
* The 10th Annual Walk of Fame Honoring Smokey Robinson (2004) (TV) (musical director)
* The 46th Annual Grammy Awards (2004) (TV) (musical director)
* The 9th Annual Walk of Fame Honoring Aretha Franklin (2003) (TV) (musical director)
* The 8th Annual Walk of Fame Honoring Stevie Wonder (2002) (TV) (musical director)
* The Best of Robert Townsend & His Partners in Crime (1991) (TV) (musical director)
* The Women of Brewster Place (1989) (TV) (special musical consultant)
The Midnight Hour(1990) TV Series Herself (Musical Director) (unknown episodes, 1990)
* Robert Townsend's HBO variety show series: "Partners in Crime" (1988) (TV) (musical director)
url = http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/rushen_patrice/artist.jhtml
title = Patrice Rushen
publisher = VH1
language = English
accessdate = 2007-05-09
* [http://www.patricerushen.com/ Official website] of Patrice Rushen
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0750725/] at
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Patrice Rushen — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Patrice Rushen Información personal Nombre real Patrice Louise Rushen Nacimiento 30 de Septiembre, 1954 (54 años) Origen … Wikipedia Español
Patrice Rushen — 2010 Patrice Rushen (* 30. September 1954 in Los Angeles/Kalifornien) ist eine US amerikanische Rhythm and Blues Sängerin, Pianistin und Komponistin. Rushen erhielt ab dem Alter von drei Jahren eine klassische Klavierausbildung. 1972 gewann sie… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Patrice Rushen — Nom Patrice Rushen Louise Naissance 30 septembre 1954 États Unis (Los Angeles) … Wikipédia en Français
Now (Patrice Rushen album) — Now Studio album by Patrice Rushen Released May 21, 1984 Genre … Wikipedia
Haven't You Heard - The Best of Patrice Rushen — Infobox Album Name = Haven t You Heard: The Best of Patrice Rushen Type = Greatest hits Artist = Patrice Rushen Released = September 17, 1996 Recorded = Genre = R B Length = Label = Elektra Records / Wea Producer = Reviews = Allmusic Rating|4.5|5 … Wikipedia
Anthology (Patrice Rushen album) — Infobox Album Name = Anthology of Patrice Rushen Type = Greatest hits Artist = Patrice Rushen Released = 1985 Recorded = Genre = R B Length = 57:36 Label = Elektra Records Producer = Reviews = Last album = Now (1994) This album = Anthology of… … Wikipedia
Watch Out (Patrice Rushen album) — Infobox Album Name = Watch Out Type = studio Longtype = Artist = Patrice Rushen Released = February 20, 1987 Recorded = 1986 Genre = R B Length = 50:39 Label = Arista Records Producer = Jerry Knight and Aaron Zigman Reviews = Allmusic Rating|2|5… … Wikipedia
Remind Me (Patrice Rushen song) — Remind Me is a 1982 song recorded by American singer songwriter Patrice Rushen. The song, written by Rushen and Karen Evans and produced by Rushen herself, was issued on the singer s popular album, Straight from the Heart . Rushen played most of… … Wikipedia
Rushen (disambiguation) — Rushen can mean: *Rushen, a place on the Isle of Man *Castle Rushen alias Rushen Castle, a mediaeval castle in Castletown in the south of the Isle of Man *Rushen (sheading), one of 6 administrative divisions of the Isle of Man *Rushen Abbey, a… … Wikipedia
Patrice — ist ein männlicher, teilweise aber auch ein weiblicher Vorname. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Herkunft und Bedeutung 2 Bekannte Namensträger/Namensträgerinnen 2.1 Künstlername 2.2 … Deutsch Wikipedia