Infobox UK place
country = England
static_image_caption=Wombourne Civic Offices
population = 13,691 (2001 Census)
region= West Midlands
postcode_district = WV5
Wombourne (previously spelt Wombourn until around the early 20th Century) is a very large
village(sometimes claimed to be the largest village in England) and civil parishlocated in the district of South Staffordshire, in the county of Staffordshire, 6km (4 miles) south-west of Wolverhampton. Local affairs are run by a parish council. At the 2001 census it had a population of 13,691. It is just outside the West Midlands metropolitan county, and only narrowly outside the West Midlands conurbation, so it is an urban fringe.
Wombourne has become a popular place to live and many new houses have been built in recent years. The most notable new development being the Bratch Meadows Estate.The
Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canalruns north-south through the western side of the village and [http://www.sstaffs.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=13246 Bratch Locks] are located just to the north. Another popular local spot is the South Staffordshire Railway Walk which follows the path of a now disused railway which was in use in the 1950's and 60's mainly as a goods railway, but also as a passenger line for a few years. Wombourne village green, which resembles an archetypal picturesque 'English Village' as it is in the centre of the village adjacent to the church, regularly plays host to local cricketmatches.
Parents can send their children to any of four
primary schools and one special schoolin the village:
* [http://www.blakeleyheath.staffs.sch.uk Blakeley Heath Primary School] (Sytch Lane)
* [http://www.st-benedictbiscop.staffs.sch.uk St Benedict Biscop C.E. Primary School] (School Road)
* [http://www.st-bernadettes.staffs.sch.uk St Bernadette's RC Primary School] (Lindale Drive)
* [http://www.westfield.staffs.sch.uk Westfield Primary School] (Ounsdale Road)
* [http://www.axcis.co.uk/21585.html Cherry Trees Special School] (Giggety Lane)
Wombourne also has one large
Ounsdale High School(Ounsdale Road)
Wombourne's Member of Parliament is Sir
Patrick Cormackrepresenting the Conservative Party.
Wombourne is home to several
Christian churchesof varying denominations.
* [http://www.stbenedictbiscop.org.uk St Benedict Biscop] situated in Church Road
* [http://www.stbenedictbiscop.org.uk Venerable Bede] situated in Giggetty Lane
National Express West Midlandsbus routes 254, 255 and 256 serve Wombourne along with Staffordshire CC sponsored route 584 (operated by Choice Travel. There used to be a rail line but this closed in 1907. Also this area is near the main A449 road.
Sainsbury's supermarket bid has been accepted to create the village's first supermarket. They beat Tesco who was also trying to create the supermarket just yards from sainsburys. However Tesco is refusing to give up trying and is still trying to submit plans.
Local sports pub the Pool Bar is in talks over a sponsorship deal with the local cricket club. The Pool Bar is set to use its new found celebrtiy status, after being the local pub to celebrities such as
Mark Rhodesand Nick Smith.
Guy Sharpe, head of boxing promotions firm SharpeShooter Entertainment has been sighted in and around Wombourne on several occasions.
Wombourne has recently elected its first mayor, notorious homosexual Labour party contender Ben Woodall was voted in with his right hand man and partner Andrew Roberts as head of transport. Fans favourite Nick Chalmers lost out to Woodall in a tightly fought battle.
* May Griffiths. "Around Pattingham & Wombourne in Old Photographs".
* May Griffiths. "Wombourne What Was".
* [http://www.wombourne.net Wombourne.net] Local Website for Wombourne
* [http://www.ounsdale.staffs.sch.uk Ounsdale High School Official Website]
* [http://www.blakeleyheath.staffs.sch.uk Blakeley Heath Primary School]
* [http://www.stbenedictbiscop.org.uk St Benedict Biscop] Churches of St Benedict Biscop & the Venerable Bede
* [http://www.st-benedictbiscop.staffs.sch.uk St Benedict Biscop C.E. Primary School]
* [http://www.wombrookblog.co.uk Wom Brook Blog] Friends of Wom Brook weblog
* [http://www.dynamike.net/thebratch/index.htm Friends of the Bratch]
* [http://www.wombournecarnival.co.uk Wombourne Carnival]
* [http://www.staffordshire.police.uk/wombourne.htm Wombourne LPU]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wombourne — Parroquia civil y pueblo del Reino Unido Oficinas del Ayuntamien … Wikipedia Español
Wombourne Branch Line — The Wombourne Branch Line was a railway situated in Central England. The line branched from the Oxford Worcester Wolverhampton Line at Kingswinford Junction to the north of Brettell Lane railway station and joined track at the triangular Oxley… … Wikipedia
Brettell Lane railway station — Coordinates: 52°28′25″N 2°8′13″W / 52.47361°N 2.13694°W / 52.47361; 2.13694 … Wikipedia
List of bus routes in the West Midlands county — A map which shows the area these routes operate in. This is a list of all the Network West Midlands bus routes in the West Midlands, England. Contents 1 … Wikipedia
Kingswinford Junction — is a railway junction on the old Oxford Worcester Wolverhampton Line (OWW), which allows trains to diverge on to the Wombourne Branch Line. It is located north of Brettell Lane railway station, just before the line passes through Moor Street… … Wikipedia
Staffordshire Club Cricket Championship — The Staffordshire Club Cricket Championship is the main cricket league in South Staffordshire. HistoryThe club s history goes back to 1975, and it has acted as a feeder league to the Birmingham and District Premier League since 1999.Division 1… … Wikipedia
Smestow Valley Leisure Ride — starts at Aldersley Leisure Village in Aldersley and follows the route of the disused Wombourne Branchline to the disused Wombourne railway station. From Wombourne station, the route follows the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal back to… … Wikipedia
Wombourn railway station — Infobox UK disused station name = Wombourn gridref = SO869939 caption = manager = Great Western Railway locale = Wombourne borough = South Staffordshire, Staffordshire platforms = 2 years = 1925 events = Station opened years2 = 1932 events2 =… … Wikipedia
National Express West Midlands and Central Connect Diamond routes 254 and 255 — Infobox West Midlands Buses number=254, 255 operator=254 – National Express West Midlands (NXWM), 255 – NXWM, Diamond Bus (DIA) garage=NXWM – Wolverhampton/DIA Tividale vehicle=NXWM – Volvo B10, Volvo B6, Alexander Dennis ALX400, Transbus… … Wikipedia
Dudley — For the larger local government district, see Metropolitan Borough of Dudley. For other uses, see Dudley (disambiguation). Coordinates: 52°30′43″N 2°05′45″W / … Wikipedia