- Multiplayer game
A multiplayer game is a game which is played by several players. The players might be independent opponents, formed into teams or be just a single team pitted against the game. Games with many independent players are difficult to analyse formally in a game-theoretical way as the players may form coalitions.
John Nash proved that games with several players have a stable solution provided that coalitions between players are not allowed. He won the Nobel prize for economics for this important result which extended von Neumann's theory of zero-sum games. Such a stable strategy is called a Nash equilibrium.
If cooperation between players is allowed, then the game is more complex. Many concepts have been developed to analyze such games. While these have had some partial success in the fields of economics, politics and conflict, no good general theory has yet been developed.
In quantum game theory, it has been found that the introduction of quantum information into multiplayer games allows a new type of equilibrium strategy which is not found in traditional games. The entanglement of players's choices can have the effect of a contract by preventing players from profiting from betrayal.
Examples of the types of such games include:
- Party games - A social game played with a number of people, little equipment, and simple rules (e.g. Charades)
- Card games - A game played with a deck of cards. (e.g. Contract Bridge)
- Board games - A played on a game board with set rules. (e.g.0 Monopoly)
- Multiplayer computer games - played either on networked or individual computers
- Multiplayer online games - played over the Internet
- Massively multiplayer online role-playing games - a notable subset of online games
- Multiplayer video games - played on a video gaming system
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. 2008. "Designed for or involving more than two (esp. many) players or participants"
- ^ K. G. Binmore (1994). Game Theory and the Social Contract. MIT Press. ISBN 0262024446. http://books.google.com/?id=HZ1hC1MLPeoC.
- ^ a b Laszlo Mero, Anna C. Gosi-Greguss, David Kramer (1998). Moral calculations: game theory, logic, and human frailty. New York: Copernicus. ISBN 0387984194. http://books.google.com/?id=kqQjX-S1idsC.
- ^ Simon C. Benjamin and Patrick M. Hayden (13 August 2001). "Multiplayer quantum games". Physical Review A 64 (3): 030301. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.64.030301
- ^ a b R. Wayne Schmittberger (1992). New Rules for Classic Games. New York: Wiley. ISBN 0471536210. http://books.google.com/?id=3sQ9dVz3jMEC.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Multiplayer game — … Википедия
List of multiplayer Game Boy games — This is a list of multiplayer games for the Game Boy handheld game system, organized first by genre and then alphabetically by name. This list is under construction and should not be considered complete. Please note that this list omits… … Wikipedia
Game balance — is a concept in game design describing fairness or balance of power in a game between multiple players or strategic options. A game would be called unbalanced if one or more players have an unfair advantage over the others.A more complex… … Wikipedia
Game Developers Conference — Official Logo of the Game Developers Conference Status Active Genre Video Game Development … Wikipedia
Game over — is a traditional message in video games which usually signals the end of the game. Notably used first in pinball machines and later arcade games, it has since been adopted widely and is now commonly associated with video games in general, however … Wikipedia
Multiplayer video game — A multiplayer video game is one which more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time. Unlike most other games, computer and video games are often single player activities that pit the player against preprogrammed… … Wikipedia
Game Critics Awards — Les Game Critics Awards sont des récompenses attribuées aux développeurs de jeux vidéo, tenues après le salon E3 depuis 1998. Les prix sont décernés à des jeux, généralement encore en développement, présentés au salon, sélectionnés par un jury… … Wikipédia en Français
Game Boy Player — Infobox CVG system title = Game Boy Player logo = caption=Game Boy Player usage sample: Controller and GBA are equivalent, GBA SP is recognized as another player manufacturer = Nintendo type = Accessory generation = Sixth generation lifespan = JP … Wikipedia
Game Party — Infobox VG title = Game Party caption = European Boxart developer = FarSight Studios publisher = Midway Games designer = engine = version = released = vgrelease|NA=November 27 2007vgrelease|AUS=February 14 2008vgrelease|EU=February 15 2008 genre … Wikipedia
Game Party 2 — Infobox VG title = Game Party 2 caption = developer = FarSight Studios publisher = Midway Games designer = engine = version = released = October 6, 2008 genre = Party game modes = Single player, Multiplayer game ratings = vgratings|ESRB=Everyone… … Wikipedia