- Hussein Ibish
Hussein Yusuf Kamal Ibish was born in
Beirut, Lebanonin 1963. He has a Ph.D in Comparative literaturefrom University of Massachusetts, Amherstand is active in advocacy for Arab causes in the United States. He describes himself as an agnostic from the Muslim community, working to reform Islam.
Ibish comes from an academic background. His father,
Yusuf Ibish, studied at Harvard University's Department of Government in the 1950s and was on the faculty of the American University of Beirutas a scholar of Islam.
Emerson Collegeand earned a bachelor of science in mass communications in 1986.Fact|date=May 2007 He later attended the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and earned a Ph.D.in comparative literature in February 2002. [ [http://scholarworks.umass.edu/dissertations/AAI3039364/ Dissertation: Nationalism as an Ethical Problem for Postcolonial Theory. Chair: Dr. David Lenson.] ]
*Senior Fellow at the [http://www.americantaskforce.org/ American Task Force on Palestine]
*Executive Director of the [http://www.halafoundation.org/ Hala Salaam Maksoud Foundation for Arab-American Leadership] .
*Communications Director for the
American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee(ADC), 1998-2004
*Vice-President of the National Coalition to Protect Political Freedom. 2001-2004
*Washington Correspondent, Daily Star, Beirut
*Teaching Assistant, African-American Studies Dept., UMass, Amherst. Afro-Am 236: History of the Civil Rights Movement, September 1996 - December 1997.
*Editor, The Voice, Fall 1993 - Spring 1995; Spring 1997.
*Graduate Intern, Bilingual Collegiate Program, UMass, Amherst, Sept. 1992 - May 1993.
Ibish was a founding member of the
Progressive Muslim Unionbut later resigned [ [http://www.amperspective.com/html/pmu_resignations.html Progressive Muslim Union:Three founding members resign] ] .
Dedicated Service Award, American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, 2004.
Best TV Spokesperson for the Arab Cause, the New York Press, 2003.
Arab-American of the Year, 2002, Arab-American Community Center forEconomic and Social Services in Ohio (AACCESS, Ohio).
* [http://www.adc.org/hatecrimes/pdf/1998-2000.pdf#search='Hate%20Crimes%20and%20Discrimination%20against%20Arab%20Americans%2019982000' Hate Crimes and Discrimination against Arab Americans 1998-2000] (ADC, 2001) and * [http://www.adc.org/hatecrimes/pdf/2003_report_web.pdf#search='Hate%20Crimes%20and%20Discrimination%20against%20Arab%20Americans%202001' Sept. 11, 2001-Oct. 11, 2002] (ADC, 2003)
*"At the Constitution's Edge: Arab Americans and Civil Liberties in the United States" in [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312294506 States of Confinement] (St. Martin's Press, 2000), *"Anti-Arab Bias in American Policy and Discourse" in [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870135740 Race in 21st Century America] (Michigan State University Press, 2001)
*“Race and the War on Terror,” in [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870137506 Race and Human Rights] (Michigan State University Press, 2005) and Symptoms of Alienation: How Arab and American Media View Each Other“ in [http://www.ecssr.ac.ae/CDA/en/Publications/BookInformation/0,2091,199,00.html?type=EN “Arab Media in the Information Age] (ECSSR, 2005).
* [http://www.adc.org/issue_papers/ror/issuepaper30.PDF “The Palestinian Right of Return”] (ADC, 2001) and "The Media and the New Intifada" in [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1859843778 The New Intifada] (Verso, 2001).
*Editor, [http://www.americantaskforce.org/store/book.php Principles and Pragmatism] (ATFP, 2006).
*Numerous Op-eds in newspapers and magazines including the Chicago Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Los Angeles Times, Arab American News, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Newsday, Lexington Herald Leader (Kentucky), The San Diego Union-Tribune, Milwaukee Journal, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, The Washington Post, Detroit Free Press, Dallas Morning News,The Record,Sunday Gazette-Mail, The Boston Globe, The Houston Chronicle, and The Nation.
Invited talks and debates
Numerous invited talks, lectures and debates at colleges and universities, including Yale Law School, Harvard Business School, Princeton, Georgetown, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, New School for Social Research, North Carolina State, and many other American universities, as well as the University of Costa Rica. Keynote presentations at the Race in 21st Century America: A 3rd National Conference, Michigan State University, East Lansing (2003) and the National Convention of the Muslim Public Affairs Council (2003). Addressed the 7th Annual National Latina/o Law Student Conference, Nuestro Deber: Our Duty to Empower Our Communities, (2003), and numerous Arab-American student conferences.
Twice addressed the National Association of Attorneys General Annual Spring Meeting (2002, 2004). Addressed the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, the Nixon Library, and the Unity National Journalists of Color Conference (2004). Interviewed live on stage by Charlie Rose at the Rising Tide Summit III (2000). Invitedparticipant at the first US-Islamic World Conference hosted by the Brookings Institute and the Qatari Foreign Ministry in Doha, Qatar (2004).
Panelistat Nation Institute forum Patriot Games: Civil Liberties After September 11, moderated by Phil Donahue; panelists also included Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Molly Ivins, Nadine Strossen, and Elaine Jones.
Many talks and presentations broadcast on C-Span television, including a National Press Club Newsmaker Press Conference (The condition of Arab-Americans Post September 11, November 20, 2001). Newsmaker press conferences are by invitation of the Press Club itself.
* [http://colorlines.com/article.php?ID=194 Q&A - Hussein Ibish by Judith LeBlanc (Colorlines)]
* [http://www.adc.org/action/2002/26March2002.htm Ibish Responds to Daniel Pipes in New York Post]
* [http://www.adc.org/index.php?id=2118 Ibish vs. Jerry Falwell on CNN's Crossfire]
* [http://www.usatoday.com/community/chat/2002-01-18-ibish.htm Arab-Americans after 9/11: Hussein Ibish (USA Today)]
* [http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?file=/views01/1129-07.htm What went wrong in Arab world? America, ask yourself (LA Times)]
* [http://www.nigelparry.com/issues/shamir/ The Israel Shamir Case]
* [http://www.counterpunch.org/ibish0917.html The Shoney's Incident: Determine the Truth Behind False Alarm]
* [http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0206/05/cf.00.html CNN CROSSFIRE - Israel Retaliates to Suicide Bombing by Invading Arafat Compound]
* [http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/04/the_cunning_of.php The Cunning of Con-sensus]
* [http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/03/erudition_as_de.php Erudition as dead-end: Hina Azam and the perils of legal dogmatism]
* [http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/05/kamal_nawashs_s.php Kamal Nawash's Very, Very Strange Bedfellows]
* [http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/05/new_muslim_grou.php New Muslim Groups: the Ugly, the Bad and the Good]
* [http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2004/11/why_we_are_laun.php Why We Are Launching a Progressive Muslim Union]
* [http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/sp_iraq_ibish040903.htm War in Iraq: Arab View With Hussein Ibish (Washington Post.com)]
* [http://www.wrmea.com/archives/junejuly2002/0206082.html Ibish/Herschensohn Debate at Nixon Library Challenges Outdated Israeli Myths]
* [http://www.themichiganjournal.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=269158f2-e84b-4211-8133-f5bb71cee97d Media watchdog Ibish visits UM-D to speak against Iraq war]
* [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=858753 Hate Crimes by Lynn Neary All Things Considered, November 26, 2002]
* [http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0110/25/cf.00.html Target Terrorism: Forcing Suspects to Talk (CNN CROSSFIRE)]
* [http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=6899 The Insane Rubbish of Hussein Ibish]
* [http://www.danielpipes.org/article/141 Hussein Ibish: U.S. Arabs' Firebrand]
* [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6030973/site/newsweek/ Media: He Can't Pay for a Cab]
* [http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/328 Newsweek's "Periscope" Gets It Wrong]
* [http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32363 The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee: Betrayers of Arabs and Americans alike]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ibish — may refer to: *Hussein Ibish, Arab advocate *Yerizak, Armenia … Wikipedia
American Task Force on Palestine — The American Task Force on Palestine (ATFP) was founded in 2003 in order to provide an independent Palestinian American voice in the United States and its capital, Washington, DC. The founding aim of ATFP is to advocate an end to the Palestinian… … Wikipedia
Israel Shamir — Israël Shamir Israel Shamir Israël Shamir est le pseudonyme de Adam Ermash nom changé légalement en Jöran Jermas , d un écrivain journaliste très controversé, connu pour son militantisme anti sioniste et pro palestinien. Il est considéré par ses… … Wikipédia en Français
Israël Shamir — est le pseudonyme de Adam Ermash nom changé légalement en Jöran Jermas , d un écrivain journaliste très controversé, connu pour son militantisme anti sioniste et pro palestinien. Il régulièrement accusé d antisémite et de négationnisme … Wikipédia en Français
The Siege — Infobox Film name=The Siege caption = The movie poster for The Siege . imdb id=0133952 writer=Lawrence Wright Menno Meyjes Edward Zwick starring=Denzel Washington Annette Bening Bruce Willis Tony Shalhoub David Proval Sami Bouajila… … Wikipedia
Steve Beren — (born September 9, 1951, New York, New York) is a speaker, writer, and political activist from Seattle, Washington. Beren is also the 2008 Republican candidate for U.S. Congress in Washington State s 7th Congressional District against incumbent… … Wikipedia
One-state solution — Part of a series on the Israeli–Palestinian conflict and Arab–Israeli conflict Israeli–Palestinian peace process … Wikipedia
David Horowitz — For other people named David Horowitz, see David Horowitz (disambiguation). David Horowitz Horowitz in February 2011. Born January 10, 1939 (1939 01 10) (age 72) … Wikipedia
Israel Shamir — (born 11 June 1947) [ [http://www.magasinet monitor.net/jermas.jpgPassport] as on Monitor magazine website.] is a writer and journalist who is known as a controversial anti Zionist. He is a citizen of Sweden, where his legal name is Adam Ermash… … Wikipedia
List of Arab Americans — This is a list of famous Arab Americans. ListAcademics*Dr. Imad ad Dean Ahmad teaches religion, science and freedom at the University of Maryland, College Park and directs the Minaret of Freedom Institute. [… … Wikipedia