- Battle Monument
Battle MonumentBattle Monument, Baltimore
Location: Calvert St. between Fayette and Lexington Sts., Baltimore, Maryland Coordinates: Coordinates: Built: 1815 Architect: Godefroy, Maximillian; Capellano, Antonio Governing body: Local NRHP Reference#:
Added to NRHP: June 04, 1973
The Battle Monument, located on Calvert Street between Fayette and Lexington Streets in Baltimore, Maryland, commemorates the Battle of Baltimore and honors those who died during the month of September 1814 during the War of 1812. The monument lies in the middle of the street and is between the two Baltimore City Circuit Courthouses that are located on the opposite sides of Calvert Street.
The monument, designed by Baltimore architect Maximilian Godefroy and built in 1815-25, is 39 feet tall and is unusual in having an Egyptian Revival cenotaph base which suggests a tomb. The eighteen layers of the marble base represent the eighteen states that made up the United States at the time of the war. A griffin is at each corner of the base. The column, carved as a Roman fasces, is bound with cords listing the names of soldiers who died during the battle, while the names of officers who died are at the top.
The monument is topped by a marble statue by Antonio Capellano of a female figure representing Baltimore that wears a crown of victory and holds in one hand a laurel wreath and in the other a ship's rudder.
- Egyptian revival
- Washington Monument (Baltimore)
- List of public art in Baltimore
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ a b Dorsey, John & Dilts, James D., Guide to Baltimore Architecture (1997) p. 145-146. Tidewater Publishers, Centreville, Maryland ISBN 0-87033-477-8
- ^ "Battle Monument". Maryland Historical Trust. http://mht.maryland.gov/nr/NRDetail.aspx?HDID=174&COUNTY=Baltimore%20City&FROM=NRCountyList.aspx?COUNTY=Baltimore%20City. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Battle Monument, Baltimore, including photo in 1985, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- Monument Square, North Calvert Street between Fayette & Lexington S, Baltimore, Independent City, MD: 12 photos, 29 data pages, 2 photo caption pages, and 3 color transparencies at Historic American Building Survey
- Battle Monument, Calvert Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD: 5 photos and 12 data pages at Historic American Building Survey
- Battle Monument: On Monument City
- Battle Monument on Google Street View
U.S. National Register of Historic Places in Maryland Lists by county
Lists by city Other lists Keeper of the Register • History of the National Register of Historic Places • Property types • Historic district • Contributing property
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Battle Monument — 39° 17′ 26″ N 76° 36′ 45″ W / 39.2906, 76.6125 … Wikipédia en Français
Trenton Battle Monument — The Trenton Battle Monument, located at [http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en q=348+South+Warren+Street,+Trenton,+New+Jersey um=1 ie=UTF 8 sa=X oi=geocode result resnum=1 ct=title 348 South Warren Street, Trenton, New Jersey] , is a column type… … Wikipedia
Bennington Battle Monument — Infobox nrhp name = Bennington Battle Monument nrhp type = caption = The Bennington Battle Monument lat degrees = lat minutes = lat seconds = lat direction = long degrees = long minutes = long seconds = long direction = location = Monument Circle … Wikipedia
Princeton Battle Monument — The Princeton Battle Monument is located in Princeton, New Jersey, adjacent to Morven and Princeton s borough hall. The Monument commemorates the January 3, 1777 Battle of Princeton, and depicts General George Washington leading his troops to… … Wikipedia
Battle of Clachnaharry — The Battle of Clachnaharry was a Scottish clan battle that took place in the year 1454. It was fought between the Clan Munro and the Clan MacKintosh.The BattleThe Munros were returning home after a cattle raid. On their return they had to pass… … Wikipedia
Battle of Baltimore — Infobox Military Conflict caption=Battle Monument, Baltimore conflict=Battle of Baltimore partof=the War of 1812 date=September 12 ndash; September 15, 1814 place=Baltimore, Maryland result=American victory combatant1= combatant2=… … Wikipedia
Battle of Bennington — The Battle of Bennington was a battle of the American Revolutionary War, taking place on August 16, 1777, in Walloomsac, New York, about 10 miles away from its namesake Bennington, Vermont. [Google map shows 10.0 miles driving from Bennington, VT … Wikipedia
Battle of Chippawa — Coordinates: 43°03′08″N 79°01′29″W / 43.052127°N 79.024720°W / 43.052127; 79.024720 … Wikipedia
Battle of Trenton — The Battle of Trenton took place on December 26, 1776, during the American Revolutionary War after General George Washington s crossing of the Delaware River north of Trenton, New Jersey. The hazardous crossing in adverse weather allowed… … Wikipedia
Battle of Belleau Wood — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of Belleau Wood partof=the Western Front of World War I caption= American Marines in Belleau Wood (1918) date=1 ndash;26 June 1918 place=Belleau Wood near Paris, France result=Allied Victory… … Wikipedia