- Last will and testament of Adolf Hitler
The last will and testament of Adolf Hitler was dictated by Hitler to his secretary
Traudl Jungein his Berlin Führerbunkeron April 29 1945, the day he and Eva Braunmarried. They committed suicide the next day ( April 30), three days before the surrender of Berlin to the Soviets on May 2, and just over a week before the end of World War II in Europeon May 8. It consisted of two separate documents, a will and a political testament.
was a short document signed on 29 April 1945 at 4:00 am:
* It acknowledged his marriage—but does not name
Eva Braun—and that they choose death over disgrace of deposition or capitulation; and that their bodies were to be burnt.
artcollection is left to "a gallery in my home town of Linzon Donau".
* Objects of "sentimental value or is necessary for the maintenance of a modest simple life" went to his relations and his "faithful co-workers" such as secretary
* Whatever else of value he possessed went to the
National Socialist German Workers Party.
Martin Bormannwas nominated as the will's executor.The will was witnessed by Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Martin Bormannand Colonel Nicholaus von Below.
was signed at the same time as Hitler's last will, 4:00 am on
April 29, 1945. The first part of the testament is a restatement of the political position and justifications which he had stated many times before. His intention to commit suicide soon after writing the testament and the imminent destruction of the Third Reichdid not alter his political position. The second part lays out Hitler's intentions for the government of Germany and the Nazi Partyafter his death. Also included in the testament are several statements that he did not want to instigate war with other nations and blamed Jews for the war.
Reichsmarschall Hermann Göringis to be expelled from the party.
Reichsführer-SSand Minister of the Interior, Heinrich Himmler, is to be expelled from the party.
Grossadmiral Karl Dönitzis to be appointed President of the Reich and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.
Hitler appointed the following as the new Cabinet and as "leaders of the nation":
* President of the Reich ("Reichspräsident"):
* Chancellor of the Reich ("Reichskanzler"): Dr.
* Party Minister ("Parteiminister"):
* Foreign Minister ("Aussenminister"):
* Interior Minister ("Innenminister"):
Gauleiter Paul Giesler
* Minister of War ("Kriegsminister"):
* Commander-in-Chief of the Army ("Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres"):
Field Marshal Ferdinand Schörner
* Commander-in-Chief of the Navy ("Oberbefehlshaber der
Kriegsmarine"): Karl Dönitz
* Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force ("Oberbefehlshaber der
Luftwaffe"): General Robert Ritter von Greim
* Commander-in-Chief of the SS and Chief of Police ("Reichsführer-SS und Chef der Deutschen Polizei"):
Gauleiter Karl Hanke
* Minister of Economy ("Wirtschaft"):
* Minister of Agriculture ("Landwirtschaft"):
* Minister of Justice ("Justiz"):
* Minister of Culture ("Kultus"): Dr.
Gustav Adolf Scheel
* Minister of Propaganda ("Propaganda"): Dr.
* Minister of Finance ("Finanzen"): Johann Ludwig Graf Schwerin von Krosigk
* Minister of Labour ("Arbeit"): Dr.
* Minister of Munitions ("Rüstung"): Karl-Otto Saur
* Director of the
German Labour Frontand member of the Cabinet ("Leiter der Deutschen Arbeitsfront und Mitglied des Reichskabinetts: Reichsminister") Dr. Robert Ley.
Witnessed by Dr.
Joseph Goebbels, Wilhelm Burgdorf, Martin Bormann, and General Hans Krebs.
On the afternoon of
30 April, about a day and a half after he signed his last will and testament, Hitler committed suicide.
In his book "
The Bunker", James O'Donnell, after comparing the wording of Hitler's last testament to the writings and statements of both Hitler and Joseph Goebbels, concluded that Goebbels was at least partly responsible for helping Hitler to write it. Junge claimed Hitler was reading from notes when he dictated the testament; since Hitler could barely write by this stage, O'Donnell made a good argument that it was actually Goebbels who had written these notes.
Death of the witnesses
All four witnesses to the political testament died shortly afterwards. Goebbels and his wife committed suicide (and also killed their 6 children) on
May 1. Burgdorf and Krebs committed suicide together on the night of May 1– May 2in the bunker. Bormann's exact time and place of death remain uncertain; his remains were discovered near the site of the bunker in 1972 and identified by DNA analysis in 1998. Therefore, he was most likely killed the same night trying to escape from the Führerbunker. [Martin Bormann – in one of the groups attempting to escape from the bunker – managed to cross the Spree. He was reported to have died a short distance from the Weidendammer bridge, his body was seen and identified by Arthur Axmannwho followed the same route.( Antony Beevor"Berlin: The Downfall 1945", Penguin Books, 2002, ISBN 0-670-88695-5. p.383)]
* [http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/hitlerwill.html Hitler's Last Will] Source: Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, Government Printing Office, Washington, 1946–1948, vol. VI, pg. 259–260.
* [http://www.ess.uwe.ac.uk/documents/poltest.htm Adolf Hitler's Final Political Testament] in English Source: United States, Office of United States Chief of Counsel for Prosecution of Axis Criminality, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, 8 vols. and 2 suppl. vols. (Government Printing Office, Washington, 1946–1948), VI, 259–263, Doc. No. 3569-PS. ( [http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/policy/1945/450429a.html backup site] )
* [http://www.ne.jp/asahi/masa/private/history/ww2/text/politisches.html Adolf Hitler Politisches Testament] (in German). [The German version of the testament includes the fifteen other names only noted as "Here follow fifteen others" in the English versions of the testament listed in the Reference section.]
* [http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-death.htm The Death of Hitler] explains why Hitler had fallen out with Goering.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Testament d'Adolf Hitler — Le testament d Adolf Hitler a été dicté par Hitler à sa secrétaire Traudl Junge dans son Führerbunker à Berlin le 29 avril 1945, le jour où il se marie avec Eva Braun. Il se compose de deux documents distincts, une volonté politique et un… … Wikipédia en Français
Testament politique d'Adolf Hitler — Le testament d Adolf Hitler a été dicté par Hitler à sa secrétaire Traudl Junge dans son Führerbunker à Berlin le 29 avril 1945, le jour où il se marie avec Eva Braun. Il se compose de deux documents distincts, une volonté politique et un… … Wikipédia en Français
Adolf Hitler — Hitler redirects here. For other uses, see Hitler (disambiguation). Adolf Hitler … Wikipedia
Adolf Hitler in popular culture — Adolf Hitler (20 April 1889 – 30 April 1945) was the leader of the National Socialist German Workers Party and Führer of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945. In 2009, Rolling Stone named Hitler The Most Hated Man in Modern History. Contents 1… … Wikipedia
Adolf Hitler's rise to power — began in Germany (at least formally) in September 1919 when Hitler joined the political party that was known as the Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (abbreviated as DAP, and later commonly referred to as the Nazi Party). This political party was… … Wikipedia
Adolf Hitler — Porträtaufnahme Hitlers, 1937 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Military career of Adolf Hitler — Hitler wearing his war time military jacket in 1942. The military career of Adolf Hitler can be divided into two distinct portions of Adolf Hitler s life. Mainly, the period during World War I when Hitler served as a Gefreiter (Lance Corporal) in … Wikipedia
Death of Adolf Hitler — Front page of the U.S. Armed Forces newspaper, Stars and Stripes, 2 May 1945. Adolf Hitler committed suicide by gunshot on Monday, 30 April 1945 in his Führerbunker in Berlin. … Wikipedia
List of books by or about Adolf Hitler — This list of Adolf Hitler books is an annotated bibliography using APA style citations of non fiction books about or by Adolf Hitler. There are thousands of books written about Hitler; therefore, the list has been segregated into groups to make… … Wikipedia
Hitler Has Only Got One Ball — Oral tradition Music by Lieutenant F. J. Ricketts (Colonel Bogey March) Lyrics by uncertain; attributed to Toby O Brien Written c. August 1939 Language English Form Propaganda song Hitler Has Only Got One Ball is a song that mocks Nazi leaders… … Wikipedia