- Case interview
A case interview is a job interview in which the applicant is given a question, situation, problem or challenge and asked to resolve the situation. The case problem is often a business situation or a business case that the interviewer has worked on in real life.
After the applicant is given information about the case, the applicant is expected to ask the interviewer logical and sequential questions that will enable the applicant to understand the situation, probe deeper into relevant areas, gather pertinent information and arrive at a solution or recommendation for the question or situation at hand.
Case interviews are mostly used in hiring for management consulting and investment banking jobs. Firms use case interviews to evaluate analytical ability and problem-solving skills; they are looking not for a "correct" answer but for an understanding of how the applicant thinks and how the applicant approaches problems.
During case interviews, interviewers are generally looking for the following skills:
- Numerical and verbal reasoning skills
- Communication and presentation skills
- Business skills and commercial awareness
Candidates are often asked to estimate a specific number, often a commercial figure (such as market size or profitability). Candidates are expected to demonstrate reasoning rather than to produce the exact answer.
A case interview can also be conducted as a group exercise. Here several candidates are given some briefing materials on a business problem and asked to discuss and agree upon a solution. The interviewers normally sit around the exterior of the room as silent observers. They assess candidates' communication and interaction as well as analytical thinking and commercial awareness. Interviewers "red flag" candidates who try to dominate the conversation; consultants work in teams so it's important to be a team player.
- Case method
- Management consulting
- ^ Maggie Lu, The Harvard Business School Guide to Careers in Management Consulting, 2002, page 21, ISBN 978-1578515813
- ^ Wharton MBA Consulting Club, The Wharton MBA Case Interview Study Guide: Volume I, 1997, ISBN 978-978-1582070544
- ^ Booz Allen Hamilton | Booz & Company
- ^ Marc Cosentino, Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation, 2010, page 8, ISBN 978-0971015852
- Chapter 5, "Mastering the Case Interview", in Management Consulting: A Complete Guide to the Industry, Sugata Biswas and Daryl Twitchell, John Wiley & Sons (January 1999), ISBN 978-0471293521
- Nina Munk and Suzanne Oliver, "Think Fast", Forbes, March 24, 1997, pp. 146–51.
- "Management Consulting Case Interview Sample Questions", by Northwestern University Consulting Club
- "The Case Interview", University of Maryland Student Career Center, retrieved January 1, 2008, via archive.org
- "Case Interviews", MIT Careers Office, retrieved January 1, 2008
- "Case Interview Resources" (pdf), MIT Careers Office
- "Sample Business Case Solved in an Interview Setting", by FranTerActive
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Case Closed — First volume of the ori … Wikipedia
Case study — This article is about the method of doing research. For the teaching method, see Case method. For the method of teaching law, see Casebook method. A case study is an intensive analysis of an individual unit (e.g., a person, group, or event)… … Wikipedia
Case départ (film) — Ne doit pas être confondu avec Case départ. Case départ … Wikipédia en Français
interview — A social interaction which results in a transfer of information from the interviewee to an interviewer or researcher. Interviews may be personal, conducted face to face, or by telephone (which has certain advantages for more sensitive topics), or … Dictionary of sociology
Case Closed: Quarter of Silence — Detective Conan: Quarter of Silence Theatrical poster Directed by Yasuichiro Yamamoto, Kobun Shizuno … Wikipedia
interview — I (New American Roget s College Thesaurus) v. t. converse with, question. n. questioning, conversation, consultation, meeting. See inquiry. II (Roget s IV) n. 1. [A relatively formal conversation] Syn. meeting, audience, conference, press… … English dictionary for students
Job interview — Oakland, California. Hanging Around. The total time spent in actual interviews while hunting a job takes only a small part of the day; unwilling to go home these youths spend most of their day hanging around and talking with other job hunters.… … Wikipedia
Neko Case — performing at the Henry Fonda Theater in Los Angeles, 2007 Background information Born September 8, 1970 (1970 09 08) … Wikipedia
Neko Case — (nacida el 8 de septiembre de 1970 en Alexandria, Virginia) es una cantautora estadounidense, más conocida por su carrera en solitario y como miembro de The New Pornographers. Su música se etiqueta comúnmente como country alternativo, aunque Case … Wikipedia Español
Responses to the 2006 Duke University lacrosse case — A balcony in New Jersey displaying signs pleading the players innocence The 2006 Duke University lacrosse case resulted in a great deal of coverage in the local and national media as well as a widespread community response at Duke and in the… … Wikipedia