Dixboro, Michigan


Dixboro, Michigan

Dixboro is an unincorporated community in the U.S. state of Michigan, located east of Ann Arbor, on the western edge of Superior Charter Township in Washtenaw County. It was founded in 1824, by Captain John Dix, a retired sea captain. Dix purchased 450 acres (1.8 km²) of land in section 18 of what was then Township Two in the District of Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan Territory. In 1827, Dix filed a plat for 60 lots around the village square. Although the community prospered and had its own post office for many years, it never incorporated to form a municipal government. The railroad bypassed Dixboro, and Ann Arbor soon quickly outpaced Dixboro.

Dixboro is situated east of the junction of Plymouth Rd. and Dixboro Rd. at 42°18′44″N 83°39′22″W / 42.31222°N 83.65611°W / 42.31222; -83.65611.[1] The community's most notable features are the Dixboro General Store,[2] founded in 1840, and the Humane Society of Huron Valley, founded in 1896.

Dixboro General Store.
Dixboro Schoolhouse.
2011 Dixboro Fair
Oak Grove Cemetery.

References

External links



Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.