- Tower Verre
Tower Verre as seen from the street.
General information Status Approved Type Galleries, Hotels, Residential Location 53 West 53rd Street
New York City, New York, United States
Height Antenna spire 1,050 ft (320 m) Technical details Floor count 82 Design and construction Owner Hines Architect Jean Nouvel Developer Hines
Tower Verre, also known as the MoMA Expansion Tower and 53 West 53rd Street, is a supertall skyscraper proposed by the real estate company Hines to rise in Midtown Manhattan, New York City adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art.
The mid-block building has run into considerable opposition focusing on fears that it would cast a shadow over Central Park during the winter and that its mid-block location would create traffic problems. Further the building does not have financing.
On September 9, 2009, the New York City Planning Commission said the building could be built if 200 feet (61 m) were clipped off the top. The City's decision not to approve Tower Verre as proposed was greeted with disappointment and derision by several prominent architecture critics.  The 1,050-foot (320 m) version, was approved by the City Council on October 28, 2009 in a 44-3 vote.
The building's skin would contain a faceted exterior that tapers to a set of crystalline peaks at the apex of the tower. Due to this, the project is said to be one of the most exciting additions to New York's skyline in a generation.
The building would host Galleries, a 5 star hotel, and 8 star residential apartments. Each floor has 17,000 sq ft (1,600 m2) starting with 40,000 sq ft (3,700 m2) of space at the base. It will use wind power and rain water for everyday needs.
MOMA, which owned the building's 17,000-square-foot (1,600 m2) lot and completed a renovation in 2005, sold the lot to Hines for $125 Million in 2007.
- ^ "Tower Verre". Emporis.com. http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=momaexpansiontower-newyorkcity-ny-usa. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- ^ a b c "Tower Verre". SkyscraperPage.com. http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=68556. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- ^ a b c d e f Ouroussoff, Nicolai (2007-11-15). "Next to MoMA, a Tower Will Reach for the Stars". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/arts/design/15arch.html. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- ^ "53W53rd". Hines Interests Limited Partnership. http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=2082. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- ^ Testimony of State Senator Liz Krueger - lizkrueger.com - November 18, 2009.
- ^ It Was Fun Till the Money Ran Out - New York Times - December 19, 2008
- ^ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=4447310
- ^ Off With Its Top! City Cuts Tower to Size - New York Times - September 9, 2009
- ^ 
- ^ Ouroussoff, Nicolai (September 10, 2009). "Off With Its Top! City Cuts Tower to Size". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/arts/design/10building.html.
- ^ Will There Be A Monster Stall For MoMA Tower? - gothamist.com - October 28, 2009
- ^ "NYT: JEAN NOUVEL TOWER NEAR MOMA". ClevelandDesignCity. http://clevelanddesigncity.com/2007/11/15/nyt-jean-nouvel-tower-near-moma/. Retrieved 2007-12-24. [dead link]
Future New York City skyscrapers Under construction Approved ProposedHudson Place Tower I • Hudson Place Tower II • Manhattan West Tower I • Manhattan West Tower II • SNCI Tower • 708 First Avenue Tower I • 685 First Avenue • 616 First Avenue • 700 1st Avenue Tower III • 708 1st Avenue • 605 West 42nd Street • 20 East 53rd Street • 700 1st Avenue Tower • 160 West 62nd Street • Atlantic Yards Building • Fitzpatrick Hotel/JD Carlisle Development • 700 First Avenue Tower • Queens Street Apartments
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tower Verre — Basisdaten Ort: New York, Vereinigte Staaten Eröffnung: unbekannt … Deutsch Wikipedia
Projekt Tower Verre — Tower Verre ist ein Wolkenkratzerprojekt in New York City, Stadtteil Manhattan. Das von Jean Nouvel geplante, spitz zulaufende Gebäude soll 381 m hoch werden, und wäre damit exakt genauso hoch wie das Empire State Building (im Moment New Yorks… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kingdom Tower — برج المملكة … Wikipedia
Millennium Tower (London) — For other uses, see Millennium Tower (disambiguation). London Millennium Tower General information Type Conference, garden, hotel, observation, office, residential, restaurant and retail Location 14 34 St Mary A … Wikipedia
Sapphire Tower — A rendering of the old 90 storey Sapphire Tower design in downtown Toronto. The Sapphire Tower was a proposed luxury hotel / condominium skyscraper in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to be built by developer Harry Stinson. It would have stood at 196… … Wikipedia
Tatlin's Tower — 2000 Russia 1 rub 50 kopeks stamp. Tatlin Tower and Worker and Kolkhoz Woman by Vera Mukhina Tatlin’s Tower or The Monument to the Third International is a grand monumental building envisioned by the Russian artist and architect Vladimir Tatlin,… … Wikipedia
Russia Tower — Башня Россия Rendering of the cancelled skyscraper project Russia Tower  General inform … Wikipedia
Nakheel Tower — Artist s rendering of Nakheel Tower at night. Former names Al Burj General information Status … Wikipedia
Najd Tower — Marina Gardens General information Status Cancelled . Location Dubai, United Arab Emirates Estimated completion 2008 … Wikipedia
Murjan Tower — For the tower in Dubai of the same name, see Marina 1. Murjan Tower General information Type Mixed use Location Bahrain Height Roof 1,022 m … Wikipedia