Dasgupta (pronounced [ˈd̪aʃɡupt̪o]) is a common Bengali surname in West Bengal, India. Dasguptas belong to the Baidya caste (a high-class Brahmin caste) - the physician community of ancient India. They were disallowed from priestly duties since they were in medical profession and better off financially unlike the brahamins (priest). They never believed in false doctrines the priests taught, so they never followed the rituals blindly, thus the scared thread ceremony they delayed till wedding. They are believed to be the most educated and elite class in Bengal society and very strong bonded among themselves since ages.
Dasgupta/Sengupta/Duttagupta (and other Baidya surnames) are titles (often given by Kings and Zamindars) - the corresponding caste name is 'DasSharma or SenSharma or DuttaSharma' (used during weddings etc).
According to mythology, they are descendants of the god of Ayurveda, Lord Dhanavantari.
Some famous Dasguptas include:
- Pramod Dasgupta, also known as Comrade PDG (1910 - 1982), founding Politbureau member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), stalwart communist protagonist and leader of popular socialist struggles in India
- Asim Dasgupta (also known as Dr. Asim Kumar Dasgupta), West Bengal Finance and Excise Minister
- Partha Dasgupta, economist
- Chidananda Dasgupta (born 1921), filmmaker, film critic and historian
- Manindra Gupta also known as Manindra Lal Dasgupta (born 1030), 'Rabindra-Purashkar' awardee (highest honorary literary award given in the Indian state of West Bengal) famous poet, writer, historian of literature, essayist and autobiographer in Bengali literature
- Buddhadev Das Gupta (born 1933), an Indian classical maestro who plays the sarod
- Buddhadev Dasgupta, (born 1944) Indian film-maker
- Surendranath Dasgupta, Sanskrit scholar and philosopher
- Swapan Dasgupta, Indian journalist
- Biplab Dasgupta, Marxist economist
- Deep Dasgupta, cricketer
- Rana Dasgupta, British-Indian writer
- Swagatalakshmi Dasgupta, singer
- Gurudas Dasgupta (born 1936), senior trade-union leader, Communist Party of India, and Member of Parliament
- Indrani Dasgupta,Indian Model
- Roma Dasgupta (Suchitra Sen after marriage), Indian actress
- Uma Dasgupta (played Durga in Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali)
This page or section lists people with the surname Dasgupta. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dasgupta — oder Das Gupta (bengalisch: দাসগুপ্ত, Dāsgupta; oder দাশগুপ্ত, Dāśgupta) ist ein bengalischer Familienname. Bekannte Namensträger Buddhadeb Dasgupta (* 1944), Filmregisseur Buddhadev Das Gupta (* 1933), Musiker Chidananda Dasgupta (1921–2011),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dasgupta — Dasgụpta, Surendranath, indischer Philosoph und Sanskritphilologe, * Kalkutta Oktober 1887, ✝ Lucknow 18. 12. 1952; trat durch seine Studien religiös philosophische Originaltexte hervor; versuchte eine Synthese der Philosophie des Yoga und… … Universal-Lexikon
Surendranath Dasgupta — ( bn. সুরেন্দ্রনাথ দাসগুপ্ত) (1887 ndash;1952) was a scholar of Sanskrit and philosophy. He was principal of Sanskrit College and later a professor at the University of Calcutta.Dasgupta was born in Kushtia, Bengal (now in Bangladesh). His… … Wikipedia
Buddhadeb Dasgupta — Infobox Person name = Buddhadeb Dasgupta image size = caption = birth date = birth date|1944|2|11|mf=y birth place = Anara, India death date = death place = occupation = Film maker, screenplay writer and author spouse = Buddhadeb Dasgupta… … Wikipedia
Probal Dasgupta — s exprimant lors de la journée portes ouvertes du siège de l association mo … Wikipédia en Français
Chidananda Dasgupta — (bengalisch: চিদানন্দ দাসগুপ্ত, Cidānanda Dāsgupta; * 1921 in Shillong, Meghalaya, Indien; † 22. Mai 2011 in Kalkutta, Westbengalen, Indien) war ein indischer Filmkritiker, Filmhistoriker, Autor und Filmemacher bengalischer Abstammung. Er gilt … Deutsch Wikipedia
Partha Dasgupta — Sir Partha Sarathi Dasgupta (* 17. November 1942 in Dhaka, damals Indien, heute Bangladesch) ist ein Wirtschaftswissenschaftler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben und Wirken 2 Auszeichnungen 3 Mitgliedschaften … Deutsch Wikipedia
Partha Dasgupta — Sir Partha Sarathi Dasgupta, FBA, FRS, is the Frank Ramsey Professor of Economics at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, and a fellow of St John s College, Cambridge. He was born in the sacred city Varanasi (Benares,Kashi),… … Wikipedia
Probal Dasgupta — in Rotterdam, 2008 Probal Dasgupta (* 19. September 1953 in Kalkutta, Westbengalen) ist ein indischer Sprachwissenschaftler. 2007 wurde er zum Vorsitzenden des Esperanto Weltbundes gewählt. Wissenschaft … Deutsch Wikipedia
Swagatalakshmi Dasgupta — [ [http://www.swagatalakshmi.org Official Website of Swagatalakshmi Dasgupta ] ] is an inevitable name in the divine world of Rabindra Sangeet since the 90 s.She is an M.A. (Music) from, Rabindra Bharati University took her lesson in classical… … Wikipedia