- Ocean Gate, New Jersey
Ocean Gate, New Jersey — Borough — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State New Jersey County Ocean Incorporated February 28, 1918 Government – Type Borough (New Jersey) – Mayor Paul J. Kennedy (2010) Area – Total 0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2) – Land 0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2) – Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 3 ft (1 m) Population (2010) – Total 2,011 – Density 4,749.0/sq mi (1,833.6/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 08740 Area code(s) 732 FIPS code 34-54450 GNIS feature ID 0878938
Ocean Gate was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 28, 1918, from portions of Berkeley Township. An additional portion of Berkeley Township was annexed on February 28, 1953.
Ocean Gate is located at (39.926268, -74.134653).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1930 174 — 1940 242 39.1% 1950 452 86.8% 1960 706 * 56.2% 1970 1,081 53.1% 1980 1,385 28.1% 1990 2,078 50.0% 2000 2,076 −0.1% 2010 2,011 −3.1% Population 1930 - 1990.
* gained territory
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,076 people, 832 households, and 546 families residing in the borough. The population density was 4,749.0 people per square mile (1,821.7/km2). There were 1,152 housing units at an average density of 2,635.3 per square mile (1,010.9/km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 96.53% White, 0.96% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.96% Asian, 0.53% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.36% of the population.
There were 832 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 16.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.3% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the borough the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 32.2% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 88.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.2 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $41,067, and the median income for a family was $50,847. Males had a median income of $33,558 versus $30,919 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $19,239. About 7.6% of families and 10.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.0% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
Ocean Gate is governed under the Borough form of New Jersey municipal government by a mayor and a six-member borough council, all elected on a partisan basis. The mayor is directly elected by the voters to serve a four-year term of office. Borough council members serve three-year terms of office on a staggered basis, with two seats coming up for election each year.
The Mayor of Ocean Gate is Paul J. Kennedy (R, term ends December 31, 2014). Members of the Borough Council are Richard Russell (R, 2011) , Anthony DiGironimo (R, 2011), Dave Kendrick (R, 2012), Brian DiStefano (R, 2012), Joella Nicastro (R, 2013) and Charlie Mailot (R, 2013).
Federal, state and county representation
Ocean Gate is in the 3rd Congressional district. New Jersey's Third Congressional District is represented by Jon Runyan (R, Mount Laurel Township). New Jersey is represented in the United States Senate by Frank Lautenberg (D, Cliffside Park) and Bob Menendez (D, Hoboken).
Ocean Gate is in the 9th district of the New Jersey Legislature, which is represented in the New Jersey Senate by Christopher J. Connors (R, Lacey Township) and in the New Jersey General Assembly by DiAnne Gove (R, Long Beach Township) and Brian E. Rumpf (R, Little Egg Harbor Township).
Ocean County is governed by a Board of Chosen Freeholders consisting of five members, elected at large in partisan elections and serving staggered three-year terms of office, with either one or two seats coming up for election each year. As of 2011, Ocean County's Freeholders are Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari (Toms River, term ends December 31, 2011), Freeholder Deputy Director Gerry P. Little (Surf City, 2012), John C. Bartlett, Jr. (Pine Beach, 2012), John P. Kelly (Eagleswood Township, 2010) and James F. Lacey (Brick Township, 2013).
The Ocean Gate School District is a public school district that serves students in grades K-6 at Ocean Gate Elementary School. As of the 2005-06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 162 students.
Public school students in grades 7 through 12 attend the schools of the Central Regional School District, which serves students from Ocean gate and from the municipalities of Berkeley Township, Island Heights, Seaside Heights and Seaside Park. The total student population in the district is approximately 2,400, instructed by 200 staff members. The schools in the district are Central Regional Middle School for grades 7 and 8 (833 students), and Central Regional High School for grades 9 - 12 (1,494 students).
- Rob Beaton: Guinness World Record holder ("Most Eggs Held in the Hand" - 17, "Most Grains of Rice Eaten with Chopsticks in 3 Minutes" - 78).
- ^ a b 2005 New Jersey Legislative District Data Book, Rutgers University Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, p. 49.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Ocean Gate, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed January 4, 2008.
- ^ http://php.app.com/census/results2.php?pageNum_Recordset1=1&totalRows_Recordset1=34&State=NJ&County=Ocean&Town=%25&Submit=Search
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed July 14, 2008.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968", John P. Snyder, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 204.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ by Municipality: 1930 - 1990, Workforce New Jersey Public Information Network. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- ^ 2008 Elected Officials of Ocean County, Ocean County, New Jersey. p. 7-8. Accessed April 22, 2008.
- ^ "Legislative Roster: 2010-2011 Session". New Jersey Legislature. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/roster.asp. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- ^ Board of Chosen Freeholders, Ocean County, New Jersey. Accessed January 5, 2011.
- ^ 2011 Organization Comments by Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari, Ocean County, New Jersey. Accessed January 5, 2011.
- ^ Data for the Ocean Gate Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed April 22, 2008.
- ^ Central Regional School District 2007 School Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 22, 2008. "The Central Regional School District is located in the Bayville section of Berkeley Township and draws from the constituent districts of Berkeley Township, Island Heights, Ocean Gate, Seaside Heights, and Seaside Park."
- ^ Egg holder breaks Guinness world record, Home News Tribune by Fraidy Reiss, February 28, 2007
- ^ Ocean Gate man holds two Guinness world records, Asbury Park Press by Chelsea Michels, November 17, 2008
- Ocean Gate unofficial website
- Ocean Gate Elementary School
- Ocean Gate Elementary School's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Ocean Gate Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics
- Central Regional School District
Municipalities and communities of Ocean County, New Jersey Boroughs Townships CDPs
Barnegat | Beach Haven West | Cassville | Cedar Glen Lakes | Cedar Glen West | Crestwood Village | Dover Beaches North | Dover Beaches South | Forked River | Holiday City-Berkeley | Holiday City South | Holiday Heights | Lakewood | Leisure Knoll | Leisure Village | Leisure Village East | Leisure Village West-Pine Lake Park | Manahawkin | Mystic Island | New Egypt | North Beach Haven | Ocean Acres | Pine Ridge at Crestwood | Silver Ridge | Toms River | Vista Center | Waretown
Communities State of New Jersey Topics Regions
- Atlantic Coastal Plain
- Central Jersey
- Delaware River Region
- Delaware Valley
- Gateway Region
- Gold Coast
- Jersey Shore
- New York metro area
- North Hudson
- North Jersey
- Pascack Valley
- Pine Barrens
- Raritan Bayshore
- Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians
- Southern Shore Region
- Skylands Region
- South Jersey
- Tri‑State Region
- West Hudson
Counties Major cities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ocean County, New Jersey — Location in the state of New Jersey … Wikipedia
Ocean Acres, New Jersey — CDP Map … Wikipedia
Ocean County (New Jersey) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: New Jersey Verwaltungssitz: Toms River Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: County Administration Building 101 Hooper Ave Toms River, NJ 08753 7605 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ocean Township School District (Ocean County, New Jersey) — Ocean Township School District Superintendent: Dr. Christopher Lommerin Business Administrator: Kathleen A. Barneman Address: 64 Railroad Avenue Waretown, NJ 08758 G … Wikipedia
Ocean Township, Ocean County, New Jersey — For the other Ocean Township in New Jersey, see Ocean Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey. Ocean Township, New Jersey Township … Wikipedia
List of county routes in Ocean County, New Jersey — The following is a list of county routes in Ocean County in the U.S. state of New Jersey. For more information on the county route system in New Jersey as a whole, including its history, see County routes in New Jersey. 500 series county routes… … Wikipedia
New Egypt, New Jersey — CDP Map of New … Wikipedia
Ocean Gate School District — Superintendent: Frank Vanalesti Business Administrator: David Block Address: 126 West Arverne Avenue Ocean Gate, NJ 08740 Grade Range … Wikipedia
Ocean Gate — Borough de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
New Jersey locations by per capita income — New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $27,006 (2000) and a personal per capita income of $40,427 (2003). Its median household income is $55,146 (2000), ranked first in the country … Wikipedia