- Manchester Township, New Jersey
Manchester Township, New Jersey — Township — Nickname(s): The Great Pine City Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State New Jersey County Ocean Incorporated March 23, 1845 Government - Type Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council) - Mayor Michael Fressola Area - Total 82.9 sq mi (214.7 km2) - Land 82.6 sq mi (213.9 km2) - Water 0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2) Elevation 138 ft (42 m) Population (2010) - Total 43,070 - Density 471.3/sq mi (182.0/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) - Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP codes 08733, 08759,08757 Area code(s) 732 FIPS code 34-43140 GNIS feature ID 0882077 Website http://manchestertwp.com
Manchester Township is a Township in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The township is noted for containing the Lakehurst Naval Air Station, the site of the infamous Hindenburg disaster of May 6, 1937. As of the United States 2010 Census, the township population was a record high 43,070.
Manchester Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 23, 1899, from portions of Dover Township (now Toms River Township). Portions of the township were taken to form Lakehurst on April 7, 1921.
Cedar Glen Lakes (2000 Census population of 1,617), Cedar Glen West (1,376), Crestwood Village (8,392), Leisure Knoll (2,467), Leisure Village West-Pine Lake Park (11,085) and Pine Ridge at Crestwood (2,025) are all census-designated places and unincorporated areas located within Manchester Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 82.9 square miles (215 km2), of which, 82.6 square miles (214 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (0.35%) is water.
Manchester's largest development, Pine Lake Park, is best known for its man made lake, Pine Lake, built in the 1970s.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1930 1,009 — 1940 918 −9.0% 1950 1,758 91.5% 1960 3,779 115.0% 1970 7,550 99.8% 1980 27,987 270.7% 1990 35,976 28.5% 2000 38,928 8.2% 2010 43,070 10.6% Population 1930 - 1990.
As of the census of 2000, there were 38,928 people, 20,688 households, and 10,819 families residing in the township. The population density was 471.3 people per square mile (182.0/km²). There were 22,681 housing units at an average density of 274.6 per square mile (106.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.34% White, 3.06% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.87% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.69% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.63% of the population.
There were 20,688 households out of which 9.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.8% were married couples living together, 5.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 47.7% were non-families. 45.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 39.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.85 and the average family size was 2.53.
In the township the population was spread out with 10.7% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 13.4% from 25 to 44, 17.8% from 45 to 64, and 54.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 68 years. For every 100 females there were 73.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $29,525, and the median income for a family was $43,363. Males had a median income of $41,181 versus $30,523 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,409. About 3.0% of families and 5.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 4.7% of those age 65 or over.
Plumsted Twp Jackson Township Toms River Twp Pemberton Twp Berkeley Township Manchester Twp Woodland Twp Lacey Twp
Also, the township completely surrounds Lakehurst.
Manchester Township is governed by the Mayor-Council system of municipal government under the Faulkner Act. The Township is governed by a Mayor and a five-member Township Council. Councilmembers are elected on an at-large basis to serve four-year staggered terms on a non-partisan basis.
The Mayor of Manchester Township is Michael Fressola, whose term of office ends on June 30, 2010. Fressola is a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, a bi-partisan group with a stated goal of "making the public safer by getting illegal guns off the streets." The Coalition is co-chaired by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Federal, state and county representation
Manchester Township is in the 4th Congressional district. New Jersey's Fourth Congressional District is represented by Christopher Smith (R). New Jersey is represented in the United States Senate by Frank Lautenberg (D, Cliffside Park) and Bob Menendez (D, Hoboken).
Manchester Township is in the 9th district of the New Jersey Legislature, which is represented in the New Jersey Senate by Christopher J. Connors (R, Lacey Township) and in the New Jersey General Assembly by DiAnne Gove (R, Long Beach Township) and Brian E. Rumpf (R, Little Egg Harbor Township).
Ocean County is governed by a Board of Chosen Freeholders consisting of five members, elected at large in partisan elections and serving staggered three-year terms of office, with either one or two seats coming up for election each year. As of 2011, Ocean County's Freeholders are Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari (Toms River, term ends December 31, 2011), Freeholder Deputy Director Gerry P. Little (Surf City, 2012), John C. Bartlett, Jr. (Pine Beach, 2012), John P. Kelly (Eagleswood Township, 2010) and James F. Lacey (Brick Township, 2013).
The Manchester Township School District is a PreK-12 school district with approximately 3,200 students attending five schools in Manchester Township. The district has three elementary schools: Ridgeway Elementary School, Whiting Elementary School and Manchester Township Elementary School. These three schools feed into Manchester Township Middle School, and then to Manchester Township High School. Approximately 190 high school students from neighboring Lakehurst attend the district's high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship.
Notable current and former residents of Manchester Township include:
- George A. Krol, former United States Ambassador to Belarus.
- Andrew Valmon (born 1965), Olympic gold medal-winning runner
- ^ a b 2005 New Jersey Legislative District Data Book, Rutgers University, April 2006, p. 49.
- ^ http://php.app.com/census/results2.php?pageNum_Recordset1=1&totalRows_Recordset1=34&State=NJ&County=Ocean&Town=%25&Submit=Search
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed July 14, 2008.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968", John P. Snyder, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 204.
- ^ "Big town or small borough: Both offer lots of living", Asbury Park Press, November 10, 2005. Accessed May 12, 2007.
- ^ New Jersey Resident Population by Municipality: 1930 - 1990, Workforce New Jersey Public Information Network. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- ^ "Mayors Against Illegal Guns: Coalition Members". http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/members.shtml.
- ^ Manchester Township Council Members, Manchester Township. Accessed August 14, 2007.
- ^ 2007 Elected Officials of Ocean County, Ocean County, New Jersey. p. 6-7. Accessed August 14, 2007.
- ^ "Legislative Roster: 2010-2011 Session". New Jersey Legislature. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/roster.asp. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- ^ Board of Chosen Freeholders, Ocean County, New Jersey. Accessed January 5, 2011.
- ^ 2011 Organization Comments by Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari, Ocean County, New Jersey. Accessed January 5, 2011.
- ^ About Our School District, Manchester Township School District. Accessed August 1, 2008. "We are also the receiving district for approximately 180 high school students from neighboring Lakehurst Borough."
- ^ George A. Krol, Our Campaigns. Accessed December 24, 2007.
- Manchester Township website
- Manchester Township School District
- Manchester Township School District's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Manchester Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- Manchester Branch of Ocean County Library
Municipalities and communities of Ocean County, New Jersey Boroughs Townships CDPs
Barnegat | Beach Haven West | Cassville | Cedar Glen Lakes | Cedar Glen West | Crestwood Village | Dover Beaches North | Dover Beaches South | Forked River | Holiday City-Berkeley | Holiday City South | Holiday Heights | Lakewood | Leisure Knoll | Leisure Village | Leisure Village East | Leisure Village West-Pine Lake Park | Manahawkin | Mystic Island | New Egypt | North Beach Haven | Ocean Acres | Pine Ridge at Crestwood | Silver Ridge | Toms River | Vista Center | Waretown
Communities State of New Jersey Topics Regions
Atlantic Coastal Plain · Central Jersey · Delaware River Region · Delaware Valley · Gateway Region · Gold Coast · Highlands · Jersey Shore · Meadowlands · New York metro area · North Hudson · North Jersey · Pascack Valley · Piedmont · Pine Barrens · Raritan Bayshore · Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians · Southern Shore Region · Skylands Region · South Jersey · Tri‑State Region · West Hudson
Counties Major cities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jackson Township, New Jersey — Township Seal … Wikipedia
Brick Township, New Jersey — For the town otherwise known as The Brick City , see Newark, New Jersey. Brick Township, New Jersey Township Map of Brick Town … Wikipedia
Stafford Township, New Jersey — Township Map of Stafford Township in Ocean County. Inset; Location of Ocean County highlighted in the State of New Jersey … Wikipedia
Woodland Township, New Jersey — Township Woodland Township highlighted in Burlington County. Inset … Wikipedia
Montague Township, New Jersey — Township Map of Montague Township in Sussex County. Inset: Location of Sussex County highlighted in the State of New Jersey … Wikipedia
North Brunswick Township, New Jersey — Infobox Settlement official name = North Brunswick Township, New Jersey settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250x200px map caption = North Brunswick Township highlighted in Middlesex County.… … Wikipedia
Long Beach Township, New Jersey — Township Map of Long Beach Township in Ocean County. Inset: Location of Ocean County highlighted in the State of New Jersey … Wikipedia
New Egypt, New Jersey — CDP Map of New … Wikipedia
New Jersey locations by per capita income — New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $27,006 (2000) and a personal per capita income of $40,427 (2003). Its median household income is $55,146 (2000), ranked first in the country … Wikipedia
Manchester Township — may refer to: In the United Kingdom: Manchester Township (England) In the United States: Manchester Township, Boone County, Illinois Manchester Township, Dearborn County, Indiana Manchester Township, Michigan Manchester Township, Minnesota… … Wikipedia