- On the Corner
On the Corner Studio album by Miles Davis Released October 11, 1972 Recorded June 1–6 and July 7, 1972 at Columbia Studio E, 49 E. 52nd Street, New York Genre Jazz-funk, jazz fusion Length 54:39 Label Columbia/Legacy Producer Teo Macero Miles Davis chronology Live-Evil
On the Corner
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  JazzTimes (favorable) Robert Christgau (B+) Rolling Stone (favorable) Spin  Stylus Magazine (favorable) Penguin Guide to Jazz 
On the Corner is a studio album by jazz musician Miles Davis, recorded in June and July 1972 and released later that year on Columbia Records. It was scorned by critics at the time of its release and was one of Davis's worst-selling recordings. Its critical standing has improved dramatically with the passage of time, as it is now seen as a strong forerunner of the musical techniques of post punk, hip hop, drum and bass, and electronic music.
Joining previous multi-disc Davis reissues of In a Silent Way, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Bitches Brew, On the Corner was reissued on the 6-disc boxed set The Complete On the Corner Sessions, released in September 2007.
Davis claimed that On the Corner was an attempt at reconnecting with the young black audience which had largely forsaken jazz for rock and funk. While there is a discernible rock and funk influence in the timbres of the instruments employed, from a musical standpoint the album was a culmination of sorts of the musique concrète approach that Davis and producer Teo Macero (who had studied with Otto Luening at Columbia University's Computer Music Center) had begun to explore in the late 1960s. Both sides of the record were based around drum and bass grooves, with the melodic parts snipped from hours of jams. These techniques, refined via the use of computers and digital audio equipment, are now standard amongst producers of electronically based music. Also cited as musical influences on the album by Davis were the contemporary composer Karlheinz Stockhausen, who later recorded with the trumpeter in 1980, and Paul Buckmaster (who played electric cello on the album and contributed some arrangements).
Buckmaster and Davis also recorded the song "Ife" in a session during the same period. The song failed to make On The Corner but instead appeared on Big Fun in 1974; it is possible that it wasn't included on the previous because of time constraints.
All songs written by Miles Davis.
- "On the Corner / New York Girl / Thinkin' One Thing and Doin' Another / Vote for Miles" (19:55)
- "Black Satin" (5:16)
- "One and One" (6:09)
- "Helen Butte / Mr. Freedom X" (23:18)
The 1993 CD reissue of On the Corner (which has the "Columbia Jazz Masterpieces" logo stamped on the front cover) separates each "composition" into a distinct track so that the album has 8 tracks rather than 4. Later reissues returned the songs to their original, conflated status.
- Miles Davis – electric trumpet with Wah Wah
- Dave Liebman – soprano saxophone (A2)
- Carlos Garnett – soprano and tenor saxophone (B1, B2)
- Chick Corea – electric piano (A1)
- Herbie Hancock – electric piano, synthesizer
- Harold I. Williams – organ, synthesizer
- Lonnie Liston Smith – organ (B2)
- John McLaughlin – electric guitar (A1)
- David Creamer – electric guitar (A2, B1, B2)
- Michael Henderson – electric bass with Wah Wah
- Khalil Balakrishna - electric sitar (A2)
- Bennie Maupin – bass clarinet (B1)
- Collin Walcott – electric sitar (A1, B1, B2)
- Badal Roy – tabla
- Jack DeJohnette – drums
- Al Foster - drums
- Jabali Billy Hart – drums, bongos
- Don Alias – percussion
- James "Mtume" Foreman – percussion
- Paul Buckmaster – cello, arrangements
- ^ Jurek, Thom (2011 [last update]). "On the Corner - Miles Davis | AllMusic". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r106173. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ^ a b Chinen, Nate (October 2007). Review: The Complete On the Corner Sessions. JazzTimes. Retrieved on 2011-02-12.
- ^ Christgau, Robert (2011 [last update]). "Robert Christgau: CG: Miles Davis". robertchristgau.com. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Miles+Davis. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ^ Gleason, Ralph (2011 [last update]). "On The Corner by Miles Davis | Rolling Stone Music | Music Reviews". rollingstone.com. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/on-the-corner-19721207. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ^ Hermes, Will (November 2007). "Review: The Complete On the Corner Sessions". Spin: 124.
- ^ Smith, Chris (2011 [last update]). "Miles Davis - On The Corner - On Second Thought - Stylus Magazine". stylusmagazine.com. http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/on_second_thought/miles-davis-on-the-corner.htm. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ^ "Acclaimed Music - On the Corner". acclaimedmusic.net. 2010 [last update]. http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A2005.htm. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ^ Tingen, Paul (October 26, 2007). The most hated album in jazz. The Guardian. Retrieved on 2011-02-12.
- ^ "Miles Davis first heard Stockhausen's music in 1972, and its impact can be felt in Davis's 1972 recording On the Corner, in which cross-cultural elements are mixed with found elements." Barry Bergstein "Miles Davis and Karlheinz Stockhausen: A Reciprocal Relationship." The Musical Quarterly 76, no. 4. (Winter): p. 503.
- ^ In Davis' autobiography he states that "I had always written in a circular way and through Stockhausen I could see that I didn't want to ever play again from eight bars to eight bars, because I never end songs: they just keep going on. Through Stockhausen I understood music as a process of elimination and addition" (Miles, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1989, p. 329)
- ^ "In June of 1980, Miles Davis was joined by the German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen in the studios of Columbia Records; the recording of this collaboration is still unissued." Barry Bergstein "Miles Davis and Karlheinz Stockhausen: A Reciprocal Relationship" The Musical Quarterly Vol. 76, No. 4 (Winter, 1992), p. 502
- On the Corner track sheets at the Miles Beyond web site
- The Most Hated Album in Jazz at The Guardian
- List of top album rankings for On the Corner at AcclaimedMusic.net
Chick Corea As LeaderTones for Joan's Bones • Now He Sings, Now He Sobs • Is • Sundance • The Song of Singing • The Leprechaun • My Spanish Heart • The Mad Hatter • Secret Agent • Friends • Tap Step • Three Quartets • Touchstone • Again and Again • Summer Night - live • Chick Corea Akoustic Band • Alive • Time Warp • Rendezvous in New York • The Ultimate Adventure • Super Trio • Five Peace Band Live Solo albums Collaborations with Gary Burton with Circle with Miles Davis with Elektric Band with Joe FarrellJoe Farrell Quartet • Outback • Skate Board Park with Stan GetzSweet Rain • Captain Marvel with Herbie MannLatin Mann Afro to Bossa to Blues • Standing Ovation at Newport • The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd • Monday Night at the Village Gate with Blue MitchellThe Thing to Do • Down with It! • Boss Horn with OriginLive at the Blue Note • A Week at The Blue Note • Change • corea.concerto – Spain For Sextet & Orchestra – Piano Concerto No.1 with Return to Forever with Others CompilationsThe Complete "Is" Sessions • Chick Corea/Herbie Hancock/Keith Jarret/McCoy Tyner • Best of Chick Corea • Very Best of Chick Corea • Herbie Mann-Chick Corea The complete Latin band Sessions Soundtracks Related Herbie Hancock Studio albums
Takin' Off · My Point of View · Inventions and Dimensions · Empyrean Isles · Maiden Voyage · Speak Like a Child · The Prisoner · Fat Albert Rotunda · Mwandishi · Crossings · Sextant · Head Hunters · Thrust · Man-Child · Secrets · Third Plane · Herbie Hancock Trio · Sunlight · Directstep · The Piano · Feets, Don't Fail Me Now · Monster · Mr. Hands · Magic Windows · Herbie Hancock Trio · Lite Me Up · Future Shock · Sound System · Village Life · Perfect Machine · A Tribute to Miles · Dis Is da Drum · The New Standard · 1 + 1 · Gershwin's World · Future2Future · Possibilities · River: The Joni Letters · The Imagine Project
Hear, O Israel - A Prayer Ceremony in Jazz · Flood · V.S.O.P. · V.S.O.P.: The Quintet · V.S.O.P.: Tempest in the Colosseum · An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea: In Concert · CoreaHancock · V.S.O.P.: Live Under the Sky · Jazz Africa · Directions in Music: Live at Massey Hall · Live: Detroit/Chicago
with Bob BrookmeyerBob Brookmeyer and Friends with Donald Byrd with Miles Davis with Jack DeJohnette,
Pat Metheny and Dave HollandParallel Realities
with Joe Farrell with Freddie Hubbard Compilations
Treasure Chest · The Best of Herbie Hancock · The Then and Now: The Definitive Herbie Hancock
Blow-Up · Death Wish · 'Round Midnight
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
The Corner (UVA) — The Corner is a collection of student shops, bookstores, cafes, and night spots on University Avenue in Charlottesville, Virginia. It is the center of student life at the University of Virginia. Always bustling, The Corner is especially active at … Wikipedia
The Old Man in the Corner — Cover of the 1909 1st edition … Wikipedia
The Complete On the Corner Sessions — Album par Miles Davis Sortie 2007 Enregistrement 1972 à 1974 Durée 6:47:13 Genre Jazz fusion Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
The Shop Around the Corner — James Stewart et Margaret Sullavan Réalisation Ernst Lubitsch … Wikipédia en Français
The shop around the corner — James Stewart et Margaret Sullavan Réalisation Ernst Lubitsch … Wikipédia en Français
The Complete On The Corner Sessions — Paru chez Sony/Columbia en 2007, The Complete On The Corner Sessions est un coffret regroupant l intégralité des sessions studio enregistrés par Miles Davis de 1972 à 1974. 12 plages sont totalement inédites et 5 sont pour la première fois… … Wikipédia en Français
The Corner House — (Франсхук,Южно Африканская Республика) Категория отеля: Адрес: 5 Union Street, 769 … Каталог отелей
The Corner House — may refer to: *The Corner House, Nottingham, a leisure complex in the UK *Cornerhouse, Manchester, a cinema and contemporary visual arts centre in the UK *The Corner House (organisation), a not for profit organisation supporting democratic and… … Wikipedia
The Corner — Genre Série policière Série dramatique Créateur(s) David Simon Production David Simon David Mills Robert F. Colesberry Musique Henry Butler Corey Harris Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
The Corner House (organisation) — The Corner House is a not for profit company limited by guarantee founded in 1997 in the United Kingdom. According to its website, it aims to support democratic community movements for environmental social justice [cite… … Wikipedia
The Corner House Bed & Breakfast — (Nicholasville,США) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 228 Richmond A … Каталог отелей