speakers=2,360,000 (1998) [http://www.indianetzone.com/7/kumaoni_language.htm Kumaoni Language] Indian languages at indianetzone.]
GRN Language Number: #754 [http://globalrecordings.net/language/754] |The Kumaoni are a people of the
KumaonDivision of Uttarakhand, a region in the Indian Himalayas. Their Kumaoni language forms the Central subgroup of the Pahari languages.
Kumaoni is one of the 325 recognized Indian languages [ [http://www.hindikids.com/india_language.html INDIA LANGUAGES] Indian Languages at hindikids.] , and is spoken by over 2,360,000 (1998) people of
Indian states of Uttarakhand- Almora, Nainital, Pithoragarh, Bageshwar, Champawat, Rudrapur (Udhamsingh Nagar) districts; Assam; Bihar; Delhi; Madhya Pradesh; Maharashtraand Punjab, besides being spoken in some regions of Himachal Pradesh.
Amongst its dialects, the Central Kumauni is spoken in Almora and northern Nainital, Northeastern Kumauni is in Pithoragarh, Southeastern Kumauni is in Southeastern Nainital, Western Kumauni is west of Almora and Nainital [http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kfy KUMAUNI: a language of India] Ethonologue Report of Language code.] .
Dialects of Kumaon region
In all, there are 13 dialects spoken in the
Kumaonregion, including, Johari, Majh Kumaiya, Danpuriya, Askoti, Sirali, Soryali, Chaugarkhyali, Kumaiya, Gangola, Khasparjia, Phaldakoti, Pachhai, and Rauchaubhaisi [ [http://www.paharishabdkosh.com/ Kumaoni Language] 'G.A. Grierson', Dialects of Kumaon at paharishabdkosh.] . [http://www.uttaranchal.org.uk/dialects.php]
Dialects of Kumaoni Language
* Central Kumaoni
* North-Eastern Kumaoni
* South-Eastern Kumaoni
* Western Kumaoni
* Bhabhri of Rampur [http://www.uttaranchal.org.uk/dialects.php]
Kumaoni language has had many note worthy writers, prominent among them are
* Himanshu Joshi
Kumaoni in Media
* 'Megha Aa', (First Kumaoni Film) [ [http://www.readers-cafe.net/shabdkosh/cinema.php Kumaoni Cinema] Pahari Shabdkosh.] . Director Kaka Sharma, Produced S S Bisht, 1987 [ [http://www.bollywoodsargam.com/video_todayfeaturedvideo.php?blockbustermovieclip=RkwwAzZLrJE---latest-Megha_Aa_-_First_Kumaoni_Film_featured_hollywood_blockbuster_video.html First Kumaoni Film] Bollywood Sargam.]
* 'Teri Saun', (First film both in Kumaoni and Garhwali) [ [http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/45913051.cms The Times of India] Teri Saun, 10 May 2003.] , written, produced, and directed by Anuj Joshi [ [http://nandadevi.prayaga.org/?page_id=52 Film set in 1994 Uttarakhand Movement] Nandadevi Campaign.] , 2003.
* 'Aapun Biraan' (Apne Paraye) by Shri Kartikey Cine Productions. Produced By Bhaskar Singh Rawat. 2007. Cell No. -> 9412044393.
* 'Madhuli' by Anamika Film, 2008 [ [http://www.uttarakhandandbeyond.com/index.php/Video/kumaoni-film-Madhuli.html Maduhli] Kumaoni Films at uttarakhandandbeyond.] .
Kumaoni theatre which developed through its 'Ramleela' plays [ [http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-traditions/theatre.html Indian Traditions] Theatre at iloveindia.] , later evolved into a modern theatre form with the efforts of theatre stalwarts like
Mohan Upretiand Dinesh Pandey, and groups like 'Parvatiya Kala Kendra' (started by Mohan Upreti) and 'Parvatiya Lok Kala Manch'.
* Trans World Radio (USA) - 7320 Hz (Shortwave) [ [http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/swlist/KUM/index.htm Shortwave Language lists] KUM Kumaoni/Kumauni.]
* "Devidatta Sarma"; Linguistic geography of Kumaun Himalayas: A descriptive areal distribution of Kumauni language (Studies in Tibeto-Himalayan languages). Mittal Publications; 1994. ISBN 8170995299.
* "Devidatta Sarma"; The formation of Kumauni language (SILL : series in Indian languages and linguistics). Bahri Publications; 1985. ISBN 8170340055.
* [http://www.euttaranchal.com/culture/kumaon/kumaoni.php Kumaoni Language and Literature]
* [http://www.euttaranchal.com/culture/kumaon/learn_kumaoni.php Learn Kumaoni Online]
* [http://www.paharishabdkosh.com/ Online Dictionary of Kumaoni language]
* [http://globalrecordings.net/langcode/kfy ISO/Ethnologue Language code: Kumaoni Language]
* [http://kumaoni.com/listensongs/listensongs.html Kumaoni Language Songs]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kumaoni — ISO 639 3 Code : kfy ISO 639 2/B Code : ISO 639 2/T Code : ISO 639 1 Code : Scope : Individual Language Type : Living … Names of Languages ISO 639-3
Mohan Upreti — Born 1928 Almora, Uttarakhand Died 1997 Delhi Occupation playwright, music composer, folk artist Mohan Upreti (1925–1997) was an Indian theatre director, playwright and a music composer, considered one of the pioneers in Indian theatre music.[ … Wikipedia
Pahari languages — Pahari पहाड़ी, ਪਹਾੜੀ, پہاڑی Geographic distribution: India (Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim … Wikipedia
Music of Uttarakhand — Music of India Genres Classical (Carnatic · Hindustani) · Bhajan · Ghazal · Qawwali · Sufi · Folk … Wikipedia
Indo-Aryan languages — Indo Aryan Indic Geographic distribution: South Asia Linguistic classification: Indo European Indo Iranian Indo Aryan … Wikipedia
Holi — Festival of Colours Lord Krishna playing Holi with Radha and other Gopis Observed by Hindus, mainly in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Slough … Wikipedia
Uttarakhand — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction type = state base map label = no state name = Uttarakhand native name = Uttarakhand base capital = Dehradun latd = 30.05 |longd = 79.31 largest city = Dehradun abbreviation = IN UL official languages = Hindi, Garhwali … Wikipedia
Narendra Singh Negi — नरेन्द्र सिंह नेगी Born 12 August 1949 (1949 08 12) (age 62) Pauri, Uttarakhand, India … Wikipedia
Namita Gokhale — Occupation Writer Nationality Indian Period 1984 Subjects … Wikipedia
Devanagari — Nagari redirects here. For other uses, see Nagari (disambiguation). Devanāgarī Rigveda manuscript in Devanāgarī (early 19th century) Type abugida … Wikipedia