Camp Yeomalt

Camp Yeomalt

Infobox_nrhp | name =Camp Major Hopkins
nrhp_type =


caption =
location= Bainbridge Island, Washington
locmapin = Washington
area =
architect= WPA
architecture=
added = November 30, 2005
governing_body = Local
refnum=05001351cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2007-01-23|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]

Camp Yeomalt is a one-story lodge originally built as a Boy Scout camp on Bainbridge Island, Washington. The camp was originally built as Camp Major Hopkins (named for Major Maurice Jayne Hopkins) in 1935 by unemployed island residents, recruited by the Franklin D. Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration. The original lodge was built of Douglas-fir logs, in "camp style" architecture. The western side of the lodge has a stone chimney, with fire boxes on both the interior and exterior sides. The lodge sits on convert|3|acre|m2 of land, and is accompanied by a second building that was built in 1942 as an Army bathhouse, [http://www.biparks.org/parks/documents/Cabin%20Description.pdf] when the camp was used as US Army 202nd Coast Artillery Bainbridge Island Headquarters. The Bainbridge Island Park & Recreation District took ownership of the camp in 1987, and renamed it Camp Yeomalt in 2000. The camp was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The term "Yeomalt" is an anglicization of a Lushootseed word ("Yeboa'lt") meaning "fight". [http://www.biparks.org/parks/documents/Yeomalt%20History.pdf]

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

См. также в других словарях:


Поделиться ссылкой на выделенное

Прямая ссылка:
Нажмите правой клавишей мыши и выберите «Копировать ссылку»