- Flip cup
Flip cup Drinking Game Players 4+ Setup time 2-3 minutes Playing time As long or short as teams choose Random chance Easy Skill(s) required Cup-flipping, Beer-chugging
Flip cup (Taps, Flippy Cup or Tippy Cup) is a team-based drinking game. Two teams of an equal number of players stand on opposite sides of a table, facing one another. The players directly facing are opponents. In front of each teammate is a disposable plastic cup filled with a set amount of beer. Generally, the first line inside a disposable cup is used as a marker.
At the start, it is customary for the initiating players to make a toast, after which the first member of each team drinks the entirety of their beverage. When finished, the cup is placed open side up at the edge of the table, and the player who drank it attempts to flip the cup, by flicking or lifting the bottom until it flips and lands face down on the table, sitting on its mouth. The player may not use two hands, or blow on the cup to "guide" the cup to flip over. If player is unsuccessful on the first try, the cup is reset and re-flipped. Only after the first teammate is done flipping successfully can the next person proceed. Additionally, subsequent players may not touch or manipulate their cup until the previous player has successfully flipped their cup. Whichever team finishes drinking and flipping all its cups first wins.
Dangers and Deaths
Drinking games are commonly used to encourage increased consumption of alcohol which can lead to potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. Playing Flip cup has been linked to at least one death: A 19-year-old Acadia University student died on September 8th, 2011 after consuming a large amount of alcohol earlier in the week during a frosh week drinking game (Flip cup).
- ^ Zembik, Josh (2008-10-14). "Flipping Fun". SportsIllustrated/CNN. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/10/14/flip-cup-tournament/index.html. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- ^ "Another favorite pastime". http://www.bthesite.com/archives/2008/05/another-favorite-pastime/.
- ^ Rubin, Mallory (July 16, 2008). "Calling All Flippers". SportsIllustrated/CNN. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/07/16/heisman-candidates-and-their-majors/. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- ^ "Thirsty for Glory". DRAFT Magazine. http://news.draftmag.com/2008/09/04/thirsty-for-glory/. Retrieved 2008-11-07. [dead link]
- ^ "Flipped Off: The Super Bowl of Flip Cup". Urban Daddy. August 21, 2009. http://www.urbandaddy.com/lv/entertainment/6516/The_World_s_Largest_Flip_Cup_Tournament_The_Super_Bowl_of_Flip_Cup_Las_Vegas_LV_The_Strip_Event.
- ^ "Acadia student dies after heavy drinking". CBC. 8 September 2011. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/09/08/ns-acadia-drinking-death.html?cmp=rss. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- ^ "Acadia student in critical condition after drinking game". CBC. 6 September 2011. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/09/06/ns-acadia-drinking-hospital.html. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
Drinking games Word games Pong games Table games Card games Dice games Binge drinking games Miscellaneous
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Flip-flop (electronics) — An SR latch, constructed from a pair of cross coupled NOR gates. Red and black mean logical 1 and 0 , respectively. In electronics, a flip flop or latch is a circuit that has two stable states and can be used to store state information. The… … Wikipedia
Flip Nel — Infobox Rugbyman Flip Nel … Wikipédia en Français
Solo Cup Company — A basic 16 ounce Solo cup The world s largest paper cup in front of what was once the Li … Wikipedia
Show Jumping World Cup — The FEI World Cup Show Jumping Final, is an annual international competition among the world’s best show jumping horses and riders. The series, created in 1978, today comprises 14 leagues on all continents. The best riders from 132 preliminary… … Wikipedia
2006 Air New Zealand Cup — Competition details Duration 28 July – 21 October Teams 14 Matches played Round One 42 Round Two 21 Finals 7 … Wikipedia
Greek Cup Final — The Greek Cup Final, commonly referred to in Greece as just The Cup Final is the last match in the Greek Cup.Teams highlighted in bold won both Panhellenic Championship (up to 1959) or Alpha Ethniki (up to 2006) or the Super League Greece (known… … Wikipedia
2000 NASCAR Winston Cup Series — The 2000 NASCAR Winston Cup Season began on Sunday February 13 and ended on Sunday November 20. Joe Gibbs Racing driver Bobby Labonte was crowned champion at season s end.2000 Team ChartList of full time teams after race 5 of 2000.*Adam Petty… … Wikipedia
57th Grey Cup — 57th Grey Cup, the Canadian Football League s championship game, was played November 30, 1969 and the Ottawa Rough Riders defeated the Saskatchewan Roughriders 29 to 11 before 33,172 fans at Montreal s Autostade. Box Score First… … Wikipedia
Scottish Cup 1997-98 — The 1997 ndash;98 Scottish Cup was the 113th staging of Scotland s most prestigious football knockout competition. The Cup was won by Hearts who defeated Rangers in the final.First roundReplaysFourth roundReplaysQuarter finalsfootballbox date = 9 … Wikipedia
Survivor (drinking game) — Survivor is a team based drinking game. It is very similar to Flip Cup. There are two teams of four, each lined up on either side of a table (usually the same table used for Beer Pong. This game is a relay race with a twist. The first two people… … Wikipedia