- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
College of Engineering, Trivandrum Motto Karma Jyayo Hy Akarmanah
"Action is better than inaction (Srimad Bhagvad Gita: Chapter 3, Verse 8)"
Established 3rd July 1939 Type Education and Research Institution Principal Dr J Letha Academic staff 270 Undergraduates 2400 Postgraduates 710 Location Trivandrum, Kerala, India Campus 125 acres (500,000 m²) Acronym CET Website www.cet.ac.in
The College of Engineering, Trivandrum, commonly known as CET, is situated in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala. Founded in 1939, it is the top ranked engineering college in Kerala, and one of the top engineering schools in India. 
- 1 General information
- 2 History
- 3 Academic programmes
- 4 Admissions
- 5 Accreditation (B.Tech and postgraduate)
- 6 Facilities
- 7 Milestones
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The college began on 3 July 1939 as a part of the erstwhile University of Travancore, Kerala, India. The college campus is situated near Sreekariyam, 13 km from Thiruvananthapuram Central (railway station). Extending over 125 acres (500,000 m²) of land, it has one of the most spacious campuses in the country.
The main building resembles a spanner from the air, around which are spread the departmental buildings, library block, laboratories, workshops, hostels, a planetarium, staff quarters, and stadiums. The campus is one of the greenest in the country,and has won accolades from environmentalists and nature enthusiasts alike.
In 1990, the Department of Science and Technology, government of India, ranked the college as one of the high ranking institutions in comparison with the performance of IITs in the area of training and placement.
It is one of the few technical institutions in South India, which admits students on a mostly merit basis through an All Kerala Engineering Entrance Examination. The students joining the college are the toppers of that examination. Besides the regular BTech, BArch and MTech programmes, the college also conducts Part Time BTech classes for meritorious Diploma Holders.
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research IISER, Trivandrum functions from the campus. The college also extends lab facilities to the students of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology IIST, Trivandrum. There is a proposal to convert CET to a Centre of Excellence, upgrading it to a 'Kerala Institute of Technology(KIT)'.Then a Technical University can grow around it.  The college has a student community which runs technical and cultural inter-collegiate festivals. There are several unusual aspects at CET, including a lingo of its own and customs such as 'Demo Week', where final year students dress up according to themes. 
On 3 July 1939, when war clouds were looming large over the skies of Europe, the college formally came into existence. The institution owes its foundation to the vision of His Highness the Maharaja of Travancore, Sree Chitra Tirunal Balarama Varma.
Maj. T. H. Mathewman was appointed as the first principal of the college with Vastuvidya Kushala Sri, Balakrishna Rao and Prof. D. L. Deshpande on the faculty. The college had an intake of 21 students each for the Degree courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical branches of Engineering, under the then Travancore University.
In 1960, the college was shifted to its present 45 hectare campus at Kulathoor. The undergraduate and postgraduate courses are accredited by AICTE. The college has a library,a central computing facility and a planetarium.
With the establishment of the Directorate of Technical Education in the late 1950s, the college administration came under the direct control of the Government.
A new department building for Computer Science Branch was inaugurated in 2008.
Regular (B.Tech, B.Arch)
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
Masters in Technology
- Structural Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydraulics Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Power System
- Control System
- Control and Guidance
- Electrical Machines
- Thermal Science
- Machine Design
- Propulsion Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Microwave and TV Engineering
- Applied Electronics and Instrumentation
- Signal Processing
Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
The Department of Business Administration provides full-time and part-time courses for MBA.
CET started its MBA programme in 1985 on a part time basis and the MBA full time course was started in the year 2000 as per Government of Kerala initiative for providing quality management education. The MBA full time course has an annual intake of 40 students, purely on merit basis.CET-MBA is one of the premier management programme in South India.
Electives are offered in the following areas of specialization:
Marketing Management, Finance Management, Systems Management, Human Resources Management, Operations Management.
Kalpatha, the flagship event of the Department of Business Administration, has been graced by prominent speakers from the industry and academic areas.
The Department of Business Administration organised a one-day national conference on `Strategic Crisis Leadership' on 20 November 2009. Styled Kalpatha '09, it was the ninth in the annual series to be held at the Travancore Hall of Technopark, Trivandrum. The event included presentations by personalities like Dr. George Sleeba (Chairman and Managing Director FACT Ltd), Mr. V. K. Mathews (founder and CMD of the IBS Group), Prof. T T Narendran (Management Studies IIT-Madras), Mr. Girish G Vaidya (Senior Vice President and Head, Infosys Leadership Institute 
Master of Computer Applications -- MCA
The MCA department came into exitence in the late 1980s. The intake is 30 students per year. The selection process is based on the All Kerala entrance examination conducted by the Commissioner for Entrance Examinations, Trivandrum. For more details of this department, see http://www.mca.cet.ac.in/
The institute admits students based on the following entrance exams.
- Undergraduate programmes
- Postgraduate programmes
Kerala MCA Entrance Examination, conducted by the Office of the Commissioner of Entrance Exams run by the Government of Kerala.
Accreditation (B.Tech and postgraduate)
The National Board of Accreditation (NBA)has accredited the following courses of the college.
- B.Tech – Civil Engineering, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Tech – Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Tech – Electronics and Communication Engineering, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Tech – Mechanical Engineering, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Arch – Architecture, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Tech – Computer Science and Engineering, 5 years from May 2007
- B.Tech – Industrial Engineering, 5 years from Aug 2007
- B.Tech – Applied Electronics and Instrumentation, 5 years from Aug 2007
- MCA - Computer Applications, 3 years from May 2007
Benefits of the NBA accreditation are AICTE preferential funding, top preference from companies conducting campus interviews, exemption from undergoing eligibility tests for higher studies and employment in foreign countries that have a tieup with NBA.
- Career Guidance and Placement Unit (CGPU)
- Indoor Stadium
- Open Air Theater
1939 College started with three streams - Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering with 21 students per stream in a campus which is presently the office of Post Master General. The degree awarded was B.Sc Engineering.
1958 Started M.Sc Engineering courses in Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering (Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering and Electrical Machines).
1960 Shifting of the college into the present college campus.
1962 M.Sc Engineering course started under the Mechanical Engineering Department (Thermal Science Engineering and Machine Design).
1964 Department of Architecture was started with Part-time Faculty.Two more streams in M.Sc Engineering under Electrical Engineering course started (Control Systems, Power Systems). Department of Electronics and Communication started.
1965 Silver Jubilee celebration of the College of Engineering. The function was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Late. Sri. Lal Bahadur Shastri.
1967 Department of Architecture expanded with full time faculty.
1969 Part-time undergraduate course for Mechanical Engineering started.
1970 B.Arch Degree instituted for the Architecture Engineering course.
1972 Post Graduate course in Microwave and Television Engineering started under Electronics and Communication Engineering Department.
1974 Part-time undergraduate course in Civil Engineering started.
1975 Part-time undergraduate course in Electrical Engineering started.
1976 M.Sc Engineering in Environmental Engineering started. Course in Architecture Engineering recognized by Indian Institute of Architects.
1977 CETAA constituted and constitution and rules approved in a general body meeting. A testing lab started under Electrical Engineering Department which is an approved BIS. Testing center for energy meters as per ISI 3010 for ISI certification started.
1981 Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering started under Department of Electronics.
1982 M.Sc Engineering courses in Propulsion Engineering and Transportation Engineering started. B.Sc Engineering in Industrial Engineering started under Mechanical Engineering Department. Part-time undergraduate course in Electronics and Communication Engineering started.
1984 Centre for Water Resources and Management started. Career Guidance Placement Unit Started. M.Sc Engineering in Guidance and Navigational Control started. Started B.Tech course in Computer Science and Engineering. Started a course in Master of Computer Applications.
1985 Part-time course in Management of Business Administration started.
1986 Postgraduate course in Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering started. Course Degree name B.Sc Engineering changed to B.Tech Degree and M.Sc Engineering to M.Tech Degree. Course name Electrical Engineering changed to Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
1988 Part-time postgraduate course in Electrical and Electronics Engineering started. Postgraduate course in Architecture Engineering started. Part-time postgraduate course in Electronics and Communication Engineering and Applied Electronics and Instrumentation started. Part-time postgraduate in any one stream of the five streams in Civil Engineering started. Postgraduate course in Industrial Engineering started.
1989 Golden Jubilee Celebration of the College. Part-time postgraduate course in Electrical and Electronics Engineering started. Postgraduate course in Architecture Engineering started.
1990 Computer Aided and Drafting facility started in Department of Architecture. Part-time postgraduate course in Mechanical Engineering started.
1991 Implementation of IMPACT Project in Computer Science and Electronics and Communication Departments.
1994 Centre for Computing Facility started. Architecture Department shifted to new building.
1996 An Extension counter of Sub Treasury Kazhakuttam started. A one time B.Tech Degree course for Polytechnic teachers started in the Department of Civil Engineering.
1997 Sustainability support scheme initiated by Ministry of Information Technology is a continuation IMPACT Project in the Department of Computer Science Engineering.
1998 Continuing Centre for Education (CCE) started. Subtreasury started functioning in the college.
1999 Part-time undergraduate course in Computer Science and Engineering started. A project 'Networking' was sanctioned to Department of Electronics and Communication. Celebration of Diamond Jubilee Year of the college. Undergraduate courses in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering were accredited by AICTE; Civil Engineering and Electronics and Communication were awarded A grade and Mechanical Engineering was awarded B grade for 5 years.
2000 Full-time MBA course started
2001 ISO 9002 Certificate for 3 years was awarded to undergraduate courses in the Department of Electronics and Communication and Department of Computer Science and Engineering. The undergraduate course in Computer Science and Engineering was accredited by AICTE and awarded 'A' grade for 5 years. Applied Electronics and Instrumentation and Industrial Engineering undergraduate courses were accredited and awarded 'B' grade for 5 years.
2006 New postgraduate course in Signal Processing. Electronic C-Dot Exchange commissioned and all departments are connected through EPABX Campus Networking.
2008 Inaugration of the 'Golden Walkway', A project supported by 1958 Batch Alumni.
2009 A research park at a cost of 100 crores proposed modelled on IITM Research Park, for Industry Institute Interaction. Inaugration of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Block.
2009 DHWANI 09, the third largest cultural feast amongst all colleges in Kerala
2010 CETEX 2010, Open House and Exhibitions for four days on CET Campus, attracts 20000 people.
2010 DHWANI 10 became one of the largest cultural festivals amongst all colleges in South India with more than 2000 participants.
2010 Campus placements for 2011 batch has crossed 1000.
2011 Department of Computer Science celebrates its 25th year. A National level Technical fest DOTSLASH 2011 was conducted by the Department.
Science and Technology
- G. Madhavan Nair - former Chairman, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Secretary to the Department of Space, Government of India.
- M. P. Parameshwaran - Nuclear scientist, now full-time activist with the Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad.
- George Koshy - Chandrayaan Mission Director.
- Anantha Krishnan - Project Administrator of Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Caltech.
- Sankar - Founder and Chief Architect, Habitat Technology Group.Habitat Technology Group
- M.Ayyappan - Chairman and Managing Director, HLL Lifecare Limited
- Dinesh Venugopal - Head of Technology Development and IP Strategy, MphasiS.
- A R Unnikrishnan - National Head, Structural Glass Solutions, Saint-Gobain Glass
- Pramod Kumar - Founder Director, TIME Pvt. Ltd.
- Sajan Pillai - CEO, UST Global.
- Arun Narayanan - COO, UST Global.
- Murali Gopalan - CIO, UST Global.
- Kurian Verghese- Managing Director, Pfizer Australia
- Javad K Hassan - Chairman, NeST Software
- U M Shafi - CEO, NeST Group
- V K Mathews - Chairman, IBS
- Jeby Cherian - India/SA Strategy Leader, IBM
- Vishnu Potty - Coimbatore Centre Head, Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Dr. A S Prasad - Director, Emerson Process Management India Limited, Mumbai
- Babu Vinod Sivadasan - Executive Vice President Envestnet
Krishnakumar - Union Minister
- REDIRECT 
- D. Babu Paul- former member of the Indian Administrative Service and Chief Secretary to Government of India
- V.P Joy- Secretary of State for taxes with additional charge as Chairman(Keralla State Electricity Board) and current member of the Indian Administrative Service
Arts and literature
- Venu Nagavalli-(Late) actor, director, writer of Malayalam movie industry.Associated with Kilukkam, Harikrishnans and other popular hits including the campus film Sarvakalashala
- P.Sachidanandan "Anand"- Malayalam fiction writer and essayist
Dr. P.C.Verghese - Professor Emeritus, IIT Madras
B S Warrier- columnist on career and guidance. 
- ^ "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2007". Outlook. 2007-03-03. http://trak.in/tags/business/2007/08/18/top-50-indian-government-engineering-colleges-best-engg-institutes-india/. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- ^ "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges in India for 2009". Wall Street Journal. 2009-06-23. http://www.livemint.com/2009/06/23184718/Top-govt-engineering-colleges.html. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- ^ "CET, a pilgrimage centre for tree lovers". The Hindu. 2005-03-03. http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/03/stories/2005030317410300.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- ^ "CET remains top choice of students". The Hindu. 2004-03-09. http://www.hinduonnet.com/2004/09/03/stories/2004090310780500.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- ^ "IISER Thiruvananthapuram". IISER. http://www.iisertvm.ac.in/. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- ^ "IIST to offer courses in space technology". NewsTrack India. 2007-09-17. http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/908. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- ^ "Call for a change in Centre-State relationship". The Hindu. 2009-01-06. http://www.hindu.com/edu/2009/01/06/stories/2009010650110400.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- ^ "Rites of passage". The Hindu Metro Plus. 2006-04-01. http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/04/01/stories/2006040111150300.htm. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- ^ a b "CET to hold Kalpatha'09 on "Strategic Crisis Leadership"". http://www.indiaprwire.com/.+2009-06-23. http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/education/2009110837133.htm. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- ^ "Official website of the Commissioner for Entrance Exams, Kerala". http://www.cee-kerala.org/.
- ^ "GATE Office, IITM.". http://gate.iitm.ac.in/.
- ^ a b "Official Website for MCA Admission,Kerala.". http://www.cee-kerala.org/mca.htm/.
- ^ a b NBA, National Board of Accreditation.
- ^ CETAA Official Website, CET Milestones.
- ^ "April–May 2009 Newsletter.". PRO, CET. 2009-11-05. http://www.cet.ac.in/pages/newsletter/vol-3/5-April-May%202009.pdf. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- ^ "CETEX from tomorrow.". Express Buzz(The New Indian Express). 2010-01-28. http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=CETEX+2010+from+tomorrow&artid=ulj%7CbTZKU80=&SectionID=lMx/b5mt1kU=&MainSectionID=lMx/b5mt1kU=&SEO=&SectionName=tm2kh5uDhixGlQvAG42A/07OVZOOEmts. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- ^ "When Robots move a city.". The Hindu. 2010-01-31. http://www.hindu.com/2010/01/31/stories/2010013158350300.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- ^ "Our own ‘Ranchoddas’". Express Buzz(The New Indian Express). 2007-01-31. http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Our+own+%E2%80%98Ranchoddas%E2%80%99&artid=wdC5I/xaZRc=&SectionID=lMx/b5mt1kU=&MainSectionID=lMx/b5mt1kU=&SEO=CET,+CETEX,+Ranchoddas,+Chandrakumar,+Shinto,+Unn,&SectionName=tm2kh5uDhixGlQvAG42A/07OVZOOEmts. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- ^ http://cet.ac.in/pages/celebration.php
2010 young innovator >>>http://www.technologyreview.in/TR35/Profile.aspx?Cand=T&TRID=873
• College of Dairy S&T Thrissur • Kelappaji College of Agriculture E&T TavanurGovt managedPrivate
- Official website
- Career Guidance and Placement Unit(CGPU)
- Official website of the Department of Electronics Engineering
- Official website of the Department of Electrical Engineering
- Official website of the Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Official website of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Official website of the Department of Architecture
- Official website of the Department of Computer Applications
- Official website of the Department of Business Administration
- Indian Society for Technical Education
- IEEE Student Branch
- IET Students Branch
- College of Engineering Thiruvananthapuram Alumni Association
- CETAFI.NET Alumni networking community with a search database
- CET alumni
- Dhwani'10 cultural fest
- Dhwani '09 cultural Fest
- Aavishakar, The Technical Festival hosted by ISTE
- Official Website of Robotics Club
- Website of Computer Science Association
- National Conference On Technological Trends, National Level Paper Presentation Competition
- National Level Technical Symposium, Mechanical Engineering Association,CET
- DOTSLASH 2011, National Level Techincal fest by Dept. of Computer Science
Universities LBS Centre KSRTC CCEK Govt
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
FSFI College of Engineering, Trivandrum — The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is a non profit corporation founded in October 1985 by Richard Stallman to support the free software movement ( free as in freedom ), and in particular the GNU Project. From its founding until the mid 1990s, FSF … Wikipedia
College of Engineering Attingal — College Of Engineering, Attingal കോളേജ് ഓഫ് എഞ്ചിനീയറിംഗ്, ആറ്റിങ്ങല് Established 2003 Type Public Principal Dr Bhadran V … Wikipedia
College of Engineering — A college of engineering generally refers to an institute which offers engineering course at undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral level. Either these institutes are part of a university or are affiliated to some university. The duration of the… … Wikipedia
Sree Chitra Thirunal College of Engineering — Infobox University name = SCT College of Engineering,Trivandrum infobox colour = #000066 text colour = established = 1995 type = Technical Education Research Institution Principal = Prof.C.K.Baby city = Thiruvananthapuram state = Kerala country … Wikipedia
Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology — Motto Duc In Altum Motto in English Leading to the heights of excellence Established July 2002 Religious affiliation Syro Malankara Catholic Church Principal … Wikipedia
Trivandrum — Thiruvananthapuram Traduction à relire Thiruvananthapuram → … Wikipédia en Français
Engineering college rankings in India — Although there is no definite way of ranking engineering colleges in the country, every year many magazines bring out their own rankings with their own criteria. The following ranking neither gives the factors, their weightage nor does it give… … Wikipedia
Trivandrum — Thiruvananthapuram DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Colleges in Trivandrum — Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) is the capital city of Kerala, India. The city has the most number of schools, higher educational institutions, professional colleges and research institutes in Kerala. This is a list of prominent colleges and… … Wikipedia
University College Trivandrum — H H M University College Trivandrum Established 1834 Type Public Location Thiruvananthapuram Affiliations University of Kerala … Wikipedia