- North Uxbridge, Massachusetts
North Uxbridge — Village — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Massachusetts County Worcester Elevation 266 ft (81 m) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP codes 01538 GNIS feature ID 611038
North Uxbridge is a village, and post office, in the town, (township) of Uxbridge in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. The postal zip code is 01538. It is classified as a community or populated place (Class Code U6) located at latitude 42.088 and longitude -71.641 and the elevation is 266 feet (81 m). North Uxbridge appears on the Uxbridge U.S. Geological Survey Map. Worcester County is in the Eastern time zone (GMT -5) and observes DST. The town meeting in 1885 set aside North Uxbridge as a "special district", since its population had exceeded 1000 people.
Description of the village
North Uxbridge, the main northern village of the town, is also known as the "north end". The Village receives municipal services from Uxbridge, for fire, police, EMS, School district, public works, and other services. Worcester County, Massachusetts Sheriff, Lewis Evangelidis runs corrections, and court services from West Boylston, and Worcester District is the regional judicial jurisdiction. The Uxbridge district court serves surrounding towns. There is a North Uxbridge fire station of the Uxbridge Fire Department. The commercial district includes a new CVS pharmacy as well as small shops, and restaurants. The North Uxbridge Baptist Church is a well known icon in the downtown area of the village. The village is no longer officially recognized as a separate Census designated place, but is considered part of Uxbridge by the US Census bureau. Major employers include the local school district, and a commercial plastics manufacturing company in the former Rivulet mill. Residential construction has grown substantially in the last 20 years. The former North Uxbridge elementary school was also the Virginia Blanchard Pre-K Center, and is a historic building.
The village is home to the historic Rogerson Village built by Robert Rogerson in the 1820s. This village contains the Crown and Eagle Mills which was considered to be an architectural masterpiece of an early New England Mill village with worker housing and a water powered cotton mill. This system of water powered mills, driven by dams, with spillways, and surrounded by mill villages, became known as "The Rhode Island System". North Uxbridge had other historic mills such as the Rivulet Mill or Sayles Mills, built by Richard Sayles, and the Clapp Mill (1810). Richard Sayles House and a number of other sites here such as Samuel Taft House, are listed on the Federal Register of historic places. It was also home to the Blanchard Granite quarry from which was mined large quantities of granite known throughout the Eastern United States. Blanchard's quarry rebuilt Boston after 1872's fire and sold NYC its curbstones. The North Uxbridge School, or Virginia A. Blanchard School, is on the register of Historic Places(see also below), as is the Rogerson's Village. The village is part of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor of Massachusetts and Rhode Island which is part of the National Park Service. The Blackstone River Valley is the oldest industrialized region in the United States. North Uxbridge borders Linwood and Northbridge. Mendon is to the East. Douglas is to the west. French Canadian Linwood's cotton mill and Robert Rogerson' masterpiece Crown and Eagle Cotton Mill were near Italian N. Uxbridge's Rivulet Mill.
See Uxbridge for Local Government Town website uxbridge-ma.gov
County government: Worcester County Clerk of Courts: Dennis P. McManus (D) District Attorney: Joseph D. Early, Jr. (D) Register of Deeds: Anthony J. Vigliotti (D) Register of Probate: Stephen Abraham (D) County Sheriff: Lew Evangelidis (R) State government State Representative(s): Ryan Fattman (R)
Kevin J. Kuros (R)
State Senator(s): Richard T. Moore (D) Governor's Councilor(s): Jen Caissie (R) Federal government U.S. Representative(s): Richard E. Neal (D-2nd Dist.) U.S. Senators: John Kerry (D), Scott Brown (R)
Industrial era photos
Crown & Eagle Mill, built in 1824 by Robert Rogerson, and is considered a masterpiece of early American Industrial architecture
- List of Registered Historic Places in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, Lists buildings relevant to this village
- Uxbridge- its history of schools; Offers photo and description of Virginia Blanchard School in North Uxbridge
- Town of Uxbridge Massachusetts, official website
- ^ "North Uxbridge, Massachusetts". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:611038. Retrieved Sept 2011.
- ^ (source: Mae Wrona, Uxbridge, Images of America, Arcadia Press, 2000.)
- ^ a b c d e f "Walking tours - Uxbridge". Blackstone Daily. http://www.blackstonedaily.com/Outdoors&Nature/WTuxbridge.htm. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- ^ "MHC Reconnaissance Survey Town Report: Uxbridge; Report Date: 1984 Associated Regional Report: Central Massachusetts;" (PDF). Massachusetts Historical Commission;. 1984. Archived from the original on 2007-12-02. http://web.archive.org/web/20071202071504/http://www.sec.state.ma.us/mhc/mhcpdf/Town+reports/Cent-Mass/uxb.pdf. Retrieved 2007-11-20.
- ^ Crane, Ellery Bicknell (1907). Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal Memories of Worcester County, Massachusetts with a history of Worcester Society of Antiquity;. Chicago and New York: Lewis. pp. 385. http://books.google.com/books?id=rqvWQWtFKl0C&pg=RA1-PA7&lpg=RA1-PA7&dq=historic+homes+and+institutions+and+geneological+and+personal+memoirs+vol+iii+elery+bicknell+crane&source=web&ots=zL5ELNGMnH&sig=nMx43ON2yNp1VCT4PoOMcp85-Uw#PRA5-PA385,M1.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
North Brookfield, Massachusetts — Town North Brookfield Town Hall … Wikipedia
North Uxbridge School — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Uxbridge, Massachusetts — Infobox Settlement official name = Uxbridge nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |right|thumb|Map of Massachusetts with Uxbridge highlighted: 78 towns in Worcester County in pink, Uxbridge in red mapsize = map caption = Location… … Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Uxbridge, Massachusetts — Uxbridge, Massachusetts has 54 sites on the National Register of Historic Places. Map of all coordinates from Google Map of all coordinates from Bing … Wikipedia
Moses Taft House (Uxbridge, Massachusetts) — Moses Taft House U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
North Smithfield, Rhode Island — Town Forestdale school house from the nineteenth century … Wikipedia
North Brookfield (CDP), Massachusetts — North Brookfield, Massachusetts CDP North Main Street … Wikipedia
Massachusetts locations by per capita income — Massachusetts is the third richest state in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $25,952 (2000) and a personal per capita income of $39,815 (2003).Massachusetts counties ranked by per capita incomeThere are fourteen counties… … Wikipedia
Uxbridge (disambiguation) — Uxbridge is a town in the London Borough of Hillingdon:*Uxbridge, Massachusetts, United States *Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada *Uxbridge Road in Howick, Manukau, New Zealand *Uxbridge Township in Barnes County, North Dakota *Uxbridge, a Postal code… … Wikipedia
Massachusetts Route 146 — Route 146 Route information … Wikipedia