- Old Beta Theta Pi Fraternity House
Old Beta Theta Pi Fraternity House
Location: 379 - 381 E 12th Avenue
Built: 1906 Architectural style: American Craftsman, American Foursquare Governing body: Private NRHP Reference#: 89001858 Added to NRHP: 1989
The Old Beta Theta Pi Fraternity House is a historic building in Eugene, Oregon, United States. It is an American Foursquare in the American Craftsman (or American Craftsman Bungalow) style, showing considerable Prairie School influence. It was built in 1906-1907 by John B. Kronebusch, for between six and seven thousand dollars. Kronebusch leased it to the Beta Theta Pi fraternity for 15 years. It was then purchased by the Delta Zeta sorority, who occupied the house for six years from 1923 to 1929. A two-story addition was constructed in the mid-1930s, of materials compatible with the original house. In 1936, the upper two levels were turned into apartments separate from the first level and were given their own address of 1176 Mill Street. The exterior and all of the apartments retain a high degree of integrity, with minor modifications made mostly before 1937. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Notes and references
- ^ From a newsletter in the archives of the Beta Rho Chapter of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity. "The Delta Alphas were organized in June, 1906, with 12 members, and immediately set about to secure a house, with the result that when school opened in the fall a large three story house with basement had been built especially for them, by a local capitalist, the house costing between six and seven thousand dollars ...The house accommodates twenty-four men and two servants, and is elegantly furnished..."
- ^ a b From the documentation supporting nomination to the NRHP, based on research done by Annette Gurdjian (then owner) and Henry Kunowski, City of Eugene Historic Preservation Specialist.
- ^ "Oregon National Register List". Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department. July 16, 2007. http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/NATREG/docs/oregon_nr_list.pdf. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- Old Beta Theta Pi Fraternity House National Register Nomination Form
- Historic images of the Old Beta Theta Pi Fraternity House from the University of Oregon Libraries digital collections
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Theta Kappa Psi — Infobox Fraternity | name = Theta Kappa Psi letters = ΘΚΨ crest = publication = The Messenger birthplace = Russell Military Academy in New Haven, Connecticut founded = May 30, 1879 type = Professional Medical address = ? city = ? state = ?, ?… … Wikipedia
Theta Chi — Infobox Fraternity | name = Theta Chi Fraternity letters = ΘΧ crest = motto = Θηρόποσα Χείρ maxim = Alma Mater First, and Theta Chi for Alma Mater colors = Military Red and White symbol = Rattlesnake flower = The Red Carnation colors = Military… … Wikipedia
Old Dominion University — Seal of Old Dominion University Motto A Portal to New Worlds Established 1930 … Wikipedia
Phi Delta Theta — (ΦΔΘ) is an international fraternity founded in 1848 and headquartered at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Phi Delta Theta, Beta Theta Pi, and Sigma Chi form the Miami Triad. The fraternity has about 160 active chapters and colonies in over 43 U … Wikipedia
Kappa Alpha Theta — Infobox Fraternity letters= ΚΑΘ name= Kappa Alpha Theta crest= founded= Birth date and age|1870|01|27 birthplace= DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana type= Social scope= International motto= colors= Black and Gold symbol= Kite and Twin Stars… … Wikipedia
Christian fraternity — Year founded Fraternity Active chapters Locations 1925 ΣΘΕ Sigma Theta Epsilon 12 OH, WV, TX, IL, OK, MO 1925 ΒΣΨ Beta Sigma Psi 10 IL, IN, IA, KS, MO, NY, NE, OH 1927 ΑΓΩ Alpha Gamma Omega 10 … Wikipedia
National Lampoon's Animal House — Animal House redirects here. For other uses, see Animal House (disambiguation). National Lampoon s Animal House Theatrical release poster designed by Rick Meyerowitz Directed by John Landis … Wikipedia
Delta Theta Sigma — ΔΘΣ Founded 1906 Ohio State University … Wikipedia
Phi Kappa National Fraternity — Infobox Fraternity letters = ΦK name = Phi Kappa motto = crest = founded = February 3,1900 charterdate= chartercity= type = Social scope = National address = symbol = Scimitar city = state = country = United States colors = Purple and White free… … Wikipedia
Eclectic Society (Fraternity) — The Eclectic Society was originally a college fraternity at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut. The Eclectic Society was founded in 1837 or 1838 (historians differ), making it, in any case, one of older fraternal college organizations … Wikipedia