Bristol St Philips railway station

Bristol St Philips railway station

St Philips railway station was a small terminus station in Bristol built by the Midland Railway to relieve pressure on the main station at Bristol Temple Meads, which was owned by the Great Western Railway. The station had a single platform and was used principally by the local services between Bristol and Bath Green Park, via Mangotsfield.

St Philips was created by the Midland in part of its extensive goods yard in Bristol and opened in 1870, the company having opened the line from Mangotsfield into Bath the previous year. The station was sited close to the Old Market shopping area and also attracted commuter traffic.

The Old Market area was badly bombed during World War Two, and Bristol's shopping district was rebuilt elsewhere. The local trains were rerouted into Temple Meads and St Philips closed on 21 September 1953, though goods facilities remained open until 1967.




* Bristol Railway Stations 1840-2005 by Mike Oakley, Redcliffe Press, Bristol, 2006, ISBN 1 904537 54 5

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.