- Charly Coombes
Charly Coombes performing with Supergrass in London, 2008.
Background information Birth name John Charles Coombes Also known as Chas Harrison Born 27 December 1980
Mountain View, CA, USA
Genres Alternative rock, Britpop Occupations Musician/Songwriter Instruments Vocals
Years active 1996-present Labels Heavenly Records
Associated acts 22-20s
Diamond Hoo Ha Men
Charly Coombes & The New Breed
Notable instruments Fender Precision Bass
Yamaha 1971 U1 Upright Piano
Korg Triton Extreme
Guild 6-String Acoustic
Wurlitzer 1972 Electric Piano
Coombes grew up in the Oxfordshire village of Wheatley but lived with his family in San Francisco, CA until the age of four. He was keyboard player of the band 22-20s, active from 2003–2006, that released one self-titled album and supported Oasis during their 2005 tour. He is the youngest sibling of the Supergrass members Gaz and Rob Coombes. He also filled in for Supergrass' keyboard player Rob Coombes during the Supergrass Road to Rouen European and North American tours 2005/2006 and substituted for three gigs during bassist Mick Quinn's injury in September 2007. His most recent endeavor is Charly Coombes and The New Breed, who have recorded and released two EPs. He was also a member of the bands Tumbleweed (who signed a deal with Polydor Records in 1998), Four Way Trauma and most recently Missing Pieces with Richard Walters. He accompanied Supergrass throughout 2008 and 2009 for the Diamond Hoo Ha World tour playing second guitar, backing vocals and percussion. Coombes also provided vocals, piano & organ for Lazare on the EP entitled When The Night Comes.
Coombes (under the name Chas Harrison) also directed and starred in the rockumentary Glange Fever released in August 2008. The film follows the Diamond Hoo Ha Men, Duke Diamond and Randy Hoo Ha as they tour the country. In December 2008 Coombes put together a short film, only available on YouTube, about life behind the curtain on the Supergrass American Tour during July 2008.
In March 2009, Charly married his girlfriend Rayana Macedo in Brazil. They reside in Oxford, UK.
The New Breed
In July 2009, Charly Coombes formed Charly Coombes & The New Breed, consisting of Coombes (lead vocals and keyboards), Jacob Roos (bass guitar and backing vocals), Dave Ashworth (guitars and backing vocals) and Rory Kirkpatrick (drums and backing vocals). The band spent two months rehearsing Coombes' entire back catalogue and played their first gig at The Bullingdon Arms, Oxford on September 25, 2009. In September 2010, Rory Kirkpatrick decided to leave the band and was replaced by Richard Willoughby.
The band have played throughout the United Kingdom and United States as well as in support slots for The Hot Rats, Supergrass and Taylor Hawkins and The Coattail Riders. On February 1, 2010, the band released their debut EP entitled Panic. A second EP entitled Waves was released on November 29, 2010.
Charly Coombes Discography
- 22-20s (as part of 22-20s) (September 2004) #40 UK
- 22-20s Live in Japan (Live) (as part of 22-20s) (2005)
- Stolen (as part of Four Way Trauma) Sandman Records (April 2001)
- 05/03 (Live) (as part of 22-20s) (September 2003)
- When The Night Comes (as a session player for Lazare) (April 2009)
- Panic (Charly Coombes & The New Breed) (Feb 2010)
- Waves (Charly Coombes & The New Breed) (Nov 2010)
- Third Degree Burns (as part of Tumbleweed) Turquoise Records (August 1998)
- Such A Fool / Baby, You're Not In Love (as part of 22-20s) (April 2003)
- Why Don't You Do It For Me? (as part of 22-20s) (April 2004) #41 UK
- Shoot Your Gun (as part of 22-20s) (June 2004) #30 UK
- 22 Days (as part of 22-20s) (September 2004) #34 UK
- Such A Fool (as part of 22-20s) (January 2005) #29 UK
- Sport (as part of Tumbleweed) Appears on Ten Trucking Greats - Truck Fest 98 (September 1998)
- Close To Love (as part of Four Way Trauma) Appears on Ten More Trucking Greats - Truck Fest 99 (August 1998)
- Boy (as part of Four Way Trauma) Appears on "LSCD - Local Sound CD (March 2000)
- Such A Fool (as part of 22-20s) Appears on The Album (August 2005)
Charly features on German Dance/Electronic DJ Ronski Speed's debut album Pure Devotion, he appears on the track "Out of Order".
- ^ "Coombes' entry on the ASCAP database". The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1775289&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- ^ "ROUTE A16 TOUR". Children of the Monkey Basket. http://www.childrenofthemonkeybasket.com/diary_2005/nov_europe/d40.htm.
Supergrass Gaz Coombes · Rob Coombes · Danny Goffey · Mick Quinn Studio albums Compilations and DVDs Singles"Caught by the Fuzz" · "Mansize Rooster" · "Lose It" · "Lenny" · "Alright"/"Time" · "Going Out" · "Richard III" · "Sun Hits the Sky" · "Late in the Day" · "Cheapskate" · "Pumping on Your Stereo" · "Moving" · "Mary" · "Never Done Nothing Like That Before" · "Grace" · "Seen the Light" · "Rush Hour Soul" · "Kiss of Life" · "St. Petersburg" · "Low C" · "Fin" · "Diamond Hoo Ha Man" · "Bad Blood" · "Rebel In You" Other releases Related personsDom and Nic · Charly Coombes Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Coombes (surname) — Coombes is a surname of English origin, and may refer to: Charly Coombes Gaz Coombes Geoff Coombes Gregg Coombes James Coombes Leah Coombes Matt L Coombes, Researcher at CERN Peet Coombes Richard Coombes Rob Coombes Robert Coombes Rod Coombes… … Wikipedia
Gaz Coombes — performing with Supergrass in London, 2008. Background information Birth name Gareth Michael Coombes Born … Wikipedia
Rob Coombes — Infobox musical artist Name = Rob Coombes Img capt = Rob Coombes performing with Supergrass in London, 2008. Background = non vocal instrumentalist Birth name = Robert Joseph Coombes Born = Birth date and age|1972|4|27|df=yes Oxford, England… … Wikipedia
Diamond Hoo Ha Man — Single by Supergrass from the album Diamond Hoo Ha … Wikipedia
Supergrass — Infobox Musical artist Name = Supergrass Background = group or band Img capt = From left to right: Gaz Coombes, Danny Goffey and Mick Quinn at Roundhouse, London, 14 March 2008 Origin = Oxford, England Genre = Alternative rock Britpop Years… … Wikipedia
22-20s — Infobox musical artist Name = 22 20s Img capt = (from left): Charly Coombes, Martin Trimble, Glen Bartup, and James Irving Img size = Background = group or band Origin = Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England Genre = Rock Blues rock Years active = 2003… … Wikipedia
Glange Fever — Infobox Film name = Glange Fever caption = director = Simon Hilton producer = writer = starring = Gaz Coombes Danny Goffey Charly Coombes music = Gaz Coombes Danny Goffey Mick Quinn cinematography = Simon Hilton editing = Simon Hilton distributor … Wikipedia
Danny Goffey — performing with Supergrass on London s South Bank, 2008. Background information Birth name Daniel Robert Goffey … Wikipedia
Mansize Rooster — Single by Supergrass from the album I Should Coco … Wikipedia
Diamond Hoo Ha — Studio album by Supergrass Released 24 March 2008 … Wikipedia