- Lodge Hill railway station
Lodge Hill railway station was a station on the
Bristol and Exeter Railway's Cheddar Valley linein Somerset. The station served the village of Westbury-sub-Mendip, but was not named Westbury because of the potential for confusion with Westbury, Wiltshire.
The station was opened with the extension of the
broad gaugeline from Cheddar to Wells in April 1870, converted to standard gauge in the mid-1870s and then linked up to the East Somerset Railwayto provide through services from Yatton to Witham in 1878. All the railways involved were absorbed into the Great Western Railwayin the 1870s.
The Yatton to Witham line closed to passengers in 1963, though goods traffic passed through to Cheddar until 1969.
For a period
Bristol Grammar Schoolused the station buildings as an activity centre, but it was later demolished to make way for housing. Stone from the building was used in the construction of buildings at Cranmore on the preserved East Somerset Railway.
Until 2002, the former track bed at the station was used as an airfield for light aircraft.
* [http://www.r.heron.btinternet.co.uk/scrap06_lodgehill.html Lodge Hill running-in board] , 8 December 2006
* "Historic railway sign is on track for museum arrival",
Bristol Evening Post, 19 December 2006
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.