- Demon FM
Demon FM Broadcast area Leicester Frequency 107.5 (FM) First air date 29/09/1995 Format Student Radio / Community Radio Owner DSU / DMU Website www.demonfm.co.uk
Demon FM is a community radio station and student radio station for De Montfort University.
Demon FM is simulcast on FM (on a frequency of 107.5 FM) and online on a 24/7 basis. Demon FM finished their 26th and final RSL on the 30th of November 2008 before beginning a 5-year community radio licence in the spring of 2009.
Demon FM is part of De Montfort Students' Union's award-winning Demon Media group which also comprises The Demon newspaper and Demon TV.
In July 2008, Demon FM was granted a community radio license by Ofcom, allowing it to broadcast 24/7 for a period of five years.
Demon FM broadcasts from the CTS studios, within De Montfort University's 'Queens Building', and the students' union's 'Campus Centre' building. Demon FM broadcasts to an area of around 5 miles in all directions, covering Leicester's student area and city centre. In addition to the studio, various pre-production facilities are available so broadcasters may prepare material for their shows. The station also typically runs several outside broadcasts.
The current studio is the third building that Demon has occupied. The original studio was a portable building behind the students' union building, with fairly basic equipment. Around 2000 they moved into what had been a small brick building which had previously been a campus branch of NatWest bank. With the construction of The Campus Centre and incorporation of De Montfort Students' Union they negotiated a dedicated area and this included a purpose-built floating room to house the studio facilities, with the station moving across in 2003. When the station began broadcasting under its community license, a majority of the programming shifted to the Creative Technology Studios in DMU's Queen's Building, with the Campus Centre studio remaining primarily for the use of specialist, music shows.
The day-to-day running of the station is performed by a voluntary student committee, elected in annually by members of Demon Media. This committee is overseen by the managing director (a role taken on by the Vice President Media & Communications, elected to the union council in a full time sabbatical student position) and other board members of Demon FM Ltd,.
- 2011 - 2012 Tom Williams (VP Media David Winter)
- 2010 - 2011 David Murphy (VP Media Amy Seabrook)
- 2009 - 2010 Jef Nunn (VP Media Andy Schooledge)
- 2008 - 2009 Andy Schooledge (VP Media Shahinaz Nabeeh)
- 2007 - 2008 Andy Schooledge (VP Media Bryony Morris)
- 2006 - 2007 Ed Stagg (VP Media Nikki Slawson)
- 2005 - 2006 Chris Doherty (VP Media Jo Leese)
- 2004 - 2005 Ben Crookes (VP Media Zuelika Brown)
- 2003 - 2004 Maddy Comrie (VP Media Anne-Marie Spellman)
- 2002 - 2003 John Lawley (Communications Officer Heidi Hansen)
- 2001 - 2002 James Blakelobb (Communications Officer Lisa Smith)
- 2000 - 2001 Chris Skinner (Communications Officer Emma Scrafton)
- 1999 - 2000 Richard Cole (Communications Officer Rob Malyan)
- 1998 - 1999 Aaron Gow (Communications Officer Matt Simpson)
- 1997 - 1998 Mike Newman (Communications Officer Amanda Dodson)
- 1996 - 1997 Chris North (Communications Officer Jonathan Bown)
- 1995 - 1996 Belinda Hanks (Communications Officer Rob Martin)
- Ant McGinley (aka The Antman) Coast 96.3, Marcher Sound, Beacon Radio, FootballFancast.com, Paintyourheadphones, Presenter/Podjockey
- Chris North Joint Managing Director, Wise Buddah
- Ed Stagg BBC Radio Leicester, BBC Radio Derby & BBC Radio Nottingham, Presenter
- Emma Newman (née Scrafton) Xfm South Wales, Head of Music
- Emma Marston Heart FM, Producer
- Jason Bourne BBC Radio Leicester & BBC Radio Derby, Sport Broadcast Journalist
- Jason Williams Heart West Midlands, Assistant Producer
- Jim Salveson XFM Manchester, Breakfast Producer
- Jonathan Bown Former assistant editor of new! magazine and Smash Hits
- Laura Turner ITN, IRN Newscaster
- Mike Newman Xfm South Wales, Programme Controller
- Richard Culver BBC Radio 4, Executive Producer
Demon FM won national recognition at the annual Student Radio Awards in 2001 winning the prestigious Best Student Station award, following it up in 2007 by taking home the bronze award. "Student Radio Awards 2007 - Winners". The Student Radio Association. Archived from the original on 2007-11-18. http://web.archive.org/web/20071118081354/http://www.studentradio.org.uk/awards/2007/winners.html. Retrieved 2007-11-16. .
The station has also won the Best Marketing award in 1998, and picked up the Best Specialist Music Award in consecutive years for 'Future Innovations' in 2003 and 'Street Beat' in 2004. Demon FM has also seen award winning talent within its member base with member Ali Moore just missing out on the Best Newcomer award to take home silver in 2006 and receiving a Best Male Presenter nomination in the 2007 awards.
Student Radio Association
Demon FM is a member of the Student Radio Association, the national organisation set up to support student radio stations in the UK. Many of the station's members have actively supported the association through voluntary committee positions, taking on tasks such as organisation of the annual Student Radio Awards.
- Sarah Ghost Secretary and Finance (2008-2010)
- Ben Hodgson Technical Officer (2008-2009)
- Nikki Slawson Head of Events (2007 - 2008)
- Heidi Hansen Head of Events (2003 - 2004)
- Chris Skinner Chair (2002 - 2003)
- Lisa Smith Secretary/Treasurer (2002 - 2003)
- Emma Newman (née Scrafton) Head of Events (2001 - 2002)
- Richard Culver Regional Officer, East Midlands (2001 - 2002)
- Ant McGinley (aka The Antman) Regional Officer, East Midlands (1999 - 2000)
- Chris North Development Officer (1998 - 1999)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
démon — démon … Dictionnaire des rimes
démon — [ demɔ̃ ] n. m. • daemon 1546; demoygne XIIIe; lat. dæmonium; lat. ecclés. dæmon, gr. daimôn « génie protecteur, dieu » I ♦ 1 ♦ (XVIe) Myth. Être surnaturel, bon ou mauvais, inspirateur de la destinée d un homme, d une collectivité. ⇒ dieu,… … Encyclopédie Universelle
démon — DÉMON. sub. mas. Diable, malin Esprit. Le Démon lui a inspiré cela. Les ruses du Démon. [b]f♛/b] On dit figurém. et familièrement, d Une personne qui ne fait que tourmenter les autres, que C est un Démon, un vrai Démon, un Démonincarné. [b]f♛/b]… … Dictionnaire de l'Académie Française 1798
Demon — Démon Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom … Wikipédia en Français
Demon — (engl. für Dämon) ist: ein Hintergrundprozess auf Unix Systemen, siehe Daemon das Jagdflugzeug McDonnell F3H Demon eine britische Band, siehe Demon (Band) der Originaltitel der Oper Der Dämon eine Comicfigur, siehe The Demon der Name mehrerer… … Deutsch Wikipedia
demon — DEMON. s. m. Diable, malin esprit. Le demon luy a inspiré cela. tous les demons d enfer. les ruses du demon. On dit fig. d Une personne qui ne fait que tourmenter les autres, que C est un demon, un vray demon, un demon incarné. On dit, Faire le… … Dictionnaire de l'Académie française
demon — DÉMON, demoni, s.m. 1. Diavol, drac. ♦ fig. Om rău. ♦ Fiinţă imaginară considerată ca spirit al răului. 2. (În scrierile romanticilor) Personificare a eroismului, a curajului, a răzvrătirii şi uneori a frumuseţii fizice. ♦ (În gândirea mitică şi… … Dicționar Român
Demon 97 — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Demon 97 (1997) CD de WarCry Publicación 1997 Género(s) Heavy Metal, Power Metal … Wikipedia Español
Demon — De mon, n. [F. d[ e]mon, L. daemon a spirit, an evil spirit, fr. Gr. dai mwn a divinity; of uncertain origin.] 1. (Gr. Antiq.) A spirit, or immaterial being, holding a middle place between men and deities in pagan mythology. [1913 Webster] The… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
demon — [dē′mən] n. [ME < L: see DAEMON] 1. DAEMON (senses 1 & 2) 2. a devil; evil spirit 3. a person or thing regarded as evil, cruel, etc. [the demon of jealousy] 4. a) a person w … English World dictionary