- Saraband for Dead Lovers
Saraband for Dead Lovers Directed by Basil Dearden Produced by Michael Balcon
Michael Relph (associate producer)
Written by Helen Simpson (novel)
Starring Stewart Granger
Distributed by Ealing Studios Release date(s) 4 October 1948 Running time 96 minutes Country United Kingdom Language English
Saraband for Dead Lovers (released in the United States. as Saraband) is a 1948 British historical drama film directed by Basil Dearden and starring Stewart Granger and Joan Greenwood. It is based on the novel by Helen Simpson. Set in seventeenth century Hanover, it depicts the doomed romance between Philip Christoph von Königsmarck and Sophia Dorothea of Celle, the wife of the Elector of Hanover.
Sophie Dorothea (Joan Greenwood) seeks solace from dashing Count Philip Konigsmark (Stewart Granger) when her husband Prince George Louis (Peter Bull), later to become King George I of Great Britain, wants nothing to do with her. The lovers are brought down by a jealous Countess Platen (Flora Robson).
- Stewart Granger as Count Philip Konigsmark
- Joan Greenwood as Sophie Dorothea
- Flora Robson as Countess Clara Platen
- Françoise Rosay as The Electress Sophia
- Frederick Valk as The Elector Ernest Augustus
- Peter Bull as Prince George Louis
- Anthony Quayle as Durer
- Michael Gough as Prince Charles
- Megs Jenkins as Frau Busche
- Jill Balcon as Knesbeck
- David Horne as Duke George William
- Mercia Swinburne as Countess Eleanore
- Cecil Trouncer as Major Eck
- Noel Howlett as Count Platen
- Barbara Leake as Maria, Clara's Maid
- Miles Malleson as Lord of Misrule
- Anthony Lang as Young Prince George
- Rosemary Lang as Young Princess Sophie
- Edward Sinclair as Nils
- Allan Jeayes as Governor of Ahlden
- Aubrey Mallalieu as Envoy at Ahlden
- Guy Rolfe as Envoy at Ahlden
- UK goth band The Sex Gang Children have a song called Saraband for Dead Lovers.
- ^ "NY Times: Saraband for Dead Lovers". NY Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/108868/Saraband-for-Dead-Lovers/details. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
Films directed by Basil Dearden 1940s 1950sThe Blue Lamp (1950) · Cage of Gold (1950) · Pool of London (1951) · I Believe in You (1952) · The Gentle Gunman (1952) · The Square Ring (1953) · The Rainbow Jacket (1954) · Out of the Clouds (1955) · The Ship That Died of Shame (1955) · Who Done It? (1956) · The Green Man (1956) · The Smallest Show on Earth (1957) · Violent Playground (1958) · Sapphire (1959) 1960sThe League of Gentlemen (1960) · Man in the Moon (1960) · The Secret Partner (1961) · Victim (1961) · All Night Long (1962) · Life for Ruth (1962) · The Mind Benders (1963) · A Place to Go (1963) · Woman of Straw (1964) · Masquerade (1965) · Khartoum (1966) · Only When I Larf (1968) · The Assassination Bureau (1969) 1970sThe Man Who Haunted Himself (1970) The films of Alexander Mackendrick 1940s 1950s 1960s Screenplays TelevisionThe Defenders (1964)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.