- Tracer-gas leak testing method
As part of the recommended
leaktesting methods for nondestructive testingseveral tracer-gas leak testing ones exist among which the methods of choice are:
Helium mass spectrometeror helium leak detection, providing the highest sensitivity
Hydrogen leak testingor hydrogen leak detection, providing the best mobility
* Refrigerant gas leak detection, for refrigeration applications.
The nature of the process and the process gases will help determine the most suitable method.
Typical applications of tracer gas leak testing include:
* Chemical plant [ [http://www.environmental-expert.com/resultEachArticle.aspx?cid=7698&codi=1185&level=1&idproducttype=6] Federal Equipment Leak Regulations for the Chemical Manufacturing Industry]
* Petrochemical plant:
hydrocracker[ [http://shippai.jst.go.jp/en/Detail?fn=0&id=CC1300006&kw=Education] Case of a Cracker accident in Japan ] , vapocracker, catalytic reforming, steam reformingare all Hydrogenbased processes were Hydrogen leak testing will be very appropriate,
* Semiconductor industry; all processes taking place in a process chamber at atmospheric pressure or under vacuum; Diffusion, Oxidation,
LPCVD[ [http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5498578-description.html] See paragraph "Description of the drawings"] , PECVD, PVD, Etch, Ion Implant, typically the later that implies vacuum will require Helium leak testing, while the other will make good use of Hydrogen leak testing,
* Automotive: with
airbag[ [http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20040159144.html] Helium Leak Testing] being the most demanding leak testing application (small gas tank, very high pressure, long shelf life) and air conditionning system (for best efficiency), fuel system (for low emission), exhaust system (for lowest pollution), engine and transmission (for no oil dripage), rims to keep tyre safe,
* Medical: to ensure safe and long life implant (
pacemaker) [ [http://www.devicelink.com/mddi/archive/05/10/008.html] Leak testing for medical equipment] or a safe catheter
* Airplane: to quickly and safely locate fuel leaks [ [http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,2209288,00.html] Leaky spy plane crash] , to check oxygen distribution devices and
* Refrigeration and air conditionning systems-residential, commercial or industrial- in order to deliver best efficiency at the lowest loss rate of
refrigerantgases ( ozone depletion) [ [http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/leak.html] Leak Repair ]
* Power distribution for high voltage circuit breaker using SF6 as a dielectric [ [http://www.epa.gov/highgwp/electricpower-sf6/pdf/dec04/Thesen2.pdf] New SF6 Breaker Leak Study]
* Drinking water distribution grid [ [http://www.umasssoils.com/abstracts2005/Thursday/analysis.htm#Field%20Validation%20of%20Helium%20as%20a%20Tracer%20Gas%20During%20Soil%20Vapor%20Sample%20Collection] Helium as a tracer gas] as today average leakage rate or efficiency is above 25%, wasting precious resources, water and power.
* Sewage water collecting network as leaks can contaminate drinking water collection process;
Another element of consideration is the dimension of the part to be tested as well as to take into consideration the law of physics, specially the rules that govern the flow of gas at different pressure.
Several standards apply to leak testing and more specifically to tracer-gas leak testing methods, for example
* BS EN 1779:1999; leak tightness by indication or measurement of gas leakage,
* BS EN 13185:2001 Non-destructive testing. Leak testing. Tracer gas method,
* BS EN 13192:2002 Non-destructive testing. Leak testing. Calibration of reference leaks for gases.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hydrogen leak testing — is the normal way in which a hydrogen pressure vessel or installation is checked for leaks or flaws. There are various tests.*The Hydrostatic test, The vessel is filled with a nearly incompressible liquid usually water or oil and examined for… … Wikipedia
Leak — A leak is a hole or other opening, usually unintended and therefore undesired, in a container or fluid containing system, such as a tank or a ship s hull, through which the contents of the container can escape or outside matter can enter the… … Wikipedia
Nondestructive testing — or Non destructive testing (NDT) is a wide group of analysis techniques used in science and industry to evaluate the properties of a material, component or system without causing damage. The terms Nondestructive examination (NDE),… … Wikipedia
Package testing — Military shipping container being drop tested Testing … Wikipedia
Helium mass spectrometer — A helium mass spectrometer is an instrument commonly used to detect and locate small leaks. It was initially developed in the Manhattan Project during World War II to find extremely small leaks in the gas diffusion process of uranium enrichment… … Wikipedia
Helium — otherusesHelium (He) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non toxic, inert monatomic chemical element that heads the noble gas group in the periodic table and whose atomic number is 2. Its boiling and melting points are the lowest among the… … Wikipedia
Hydrogen — This article is about the chemistry of hydrogen. For the physics of atomic hydrogen, see Hydrogen atom. For other meanings, see Hydrogen (disambiguation). ← hydrogen → helium … Wikipedia
respiratory disease — ▪ human disease Introduction any of the diseases and disorders that affect human respiration (respiration, human). Diseases of the respiratory system may affect any of the structures and organs that have to do with breathing, including the… … Universalium