Mangu Station


Mangu Station
Mangu Station
Mangu Station Out.jpg
Mangu Station
Korean name
Hangul 망우역
Hanja
Revised Romanization Mangu-yeok
McCune-Reischauer Mangu-yŏk
Jungang Line
Sangbong Yangwon
Station number K121
Address 172-3 Sangbong-dong,
11-10 Manguro 55 gil,
Jungnang-gu, Seoul
Date opened April 1, 1940
Type Aboveground
Platforms/tracks 2 / 3
Operator Korail
Gyeongchun Line
Sangbong Galmae
Station number K121
Address 172-3 Sangbong-dong,
11-10 Manguro 55 gil,
Jungnang-gu, Seoul
Date opened April 1, 1940
Type Aboveground
Platforms/tracks 2 / 3
Operator Korail

Coordinates: 37°35′57″N 127°05′32″E / 37.59920°N 127.09235°E / 37.59920; 127.09235

Mangu Station (pronounced Mang-woo) is a station on the Jungang Line, and Gyeongchun Line since 21 December 2010. This station is probably most famous for being Seoul's main distribution center of charcoal briquettes in the 1950s and 1960s, extracted and manufactured in southern Gangwon province. These briquettes were widely used by people to weather harsh winters when Korea was a developing country and recovering from the Korean War. It is a station that still predominantly handles freight trains. It is very close to an E-Mart and Costco stores.

Although it is located close to the Sangbong Bus Terminal and Sangbong Station, it has yet to fulfill its potential as a transportation hub. With the electrification and twin-tracking of Gyeongchun Line, this station is the newly-designated western terminus station (however, Gyeongchun Line operates about 1 km west further till its de-facto terminus, Sangbong).

Preceding station   Seoul Metropolitan Subway   Following station
toward Yongsan
Jungang Line
toward Yongmun
Terminus
Gyeongchun Line
Galmae
toward Chuncheon