- Peter Sutton
Professor Peter Sutton (1946 - ) is a distinguished Australian social anthropologist and linguist who has, over a period of almost 40 years (since 1969), significantly contributed to: recording Australian Aboriginal languages [SUTTON, P. (ed.) (1976). "Languages of Cape York." Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies. Canberra.] [SUTTON, P. & WALSH, M (1979) "Revised Linguistic Fieldwork Manual for Australia." Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies. Canberra.] [Sutton, P. (1995) "Wik-Ngathan Dictionary." Caitlin Press. Adelaide.] ; promoting Australian Aboriginal art [SUTTON, P. (ed.) (1989) "Dreamings: The Art of Aboriginal Australia." Viking. London.] [MORPHY (2001)] ; mapping Australian Aboriginal
cultural landscapes[SUTTON, Peter, MARTIN, David, von STURMER, John, CRIBB, Roger & CHASE, Athol (1990) Aak: Aboriginal Estates and Clans between the Embley and Edward Rivers, Cape York Peninsula. 1000 pp Restricted Access Publication. South Australian Museum. Adelaide, Australia] [SUTTON, Peter (1998) "Icons of Country: Topographic Representations in Classical Aboriginal Traditions." in WOODWARD, David & LEWIS, Malcolm (eds), "The History of Cartography, Volume 2.3: Cartography in the Traditional African, American, Arctic, Australian, and Pacific Societies." Chicago University Press. Chicago. Pages 351-386] ; and increasing societies' general understanding of contemporary Australian Aboriginal social structures [* [http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1961695.htm Australian Broadcasting Commission's 'Lateline' (June 25 2007) interview with Professor Peter Sutton re: Australian Aboriginal Futures.] ] [PONSONNET (2007)] and systems of land tenure [SUTTON, P. (1995) "Country: Aboriginal Boundaries and Land Ownership in Australia." Aboriginal History Monographs (ANU).Canberra.] [SUTTON, Peter (1998) "Native Title and the Descent of Rights." National Native Title Tribunal. Perth.] SUTTON, Peter (2003) "Native Title in Australia: an Ethnographic Perspective." Cambridge University Press. Cambridge.] [WEINER (2007)] [MORTON (2007)] .
Peter Sutton now holds a position as
Australian Research Council(ARC) Professorial Fellow at the University of Adelaide's School of Earth & Environmental Sciences and within the South Australian Museum's Division of Anthropology. He is also an Honorary Research Fellow at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. [ [http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/page/default.asp?site=1&id=1249 South Australian Museum WebPage] ]
* MORPHY, Howard (2001) [http://www.anu.edu.au/hrc/publications/hr/issue1_2001/article05.htm "Seeing Aboriginal Art in the Gallery"] , "Humanities Research" Volume 8. Number 1
* MORTON, John (2007) "Sansom, Sutton and Sackville: Three Expert Anthropologists?". "Anthropological Forum". Volume 17. Number 2. Pages 170-173
* PONSONNERT, Maia. (2007) "Recognising victims without blaming them: a moral contest? About Peter Sutton's 'The Politics of Suffering: Indigenous Policy in Australia since the 1970s' and Gillian Cowlishaw's replies. " "Australian Aboriginal Studies." 43(8).
* SCHWAB, R.G (2007) "Sutton, Peter. Native title in Australia: an ethnographic perspective. xxiii, 279 pp., map, figs, bibliogr. Cambridge: Univ. Press, 2004." "Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute" Volume 13. Pages 504-505.
* WEINER, James F (2007) "Anthropology vs. Ethnography in Native Title: A Review Article in the Context of Peter Sutton's Native Title in Australia". "The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology". Volume 8, Number 2. Pages 151 - 168
* [http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/page/default.asp?site=1&id=1249 Page at South Australian Museum] Accedded 1 January 2008
* [http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/fll/eldp/sutton/index.html List of Peter Sutton's Publications] Accessed 1 January 2008
* [http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1961695.htm Australian Broadcasting Commission's 'Lateline' (June 25 2007) interview with Professor Peter Sutton re: Australian Aboriginal Futures.] Accessed 1 January 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sutton — heißen die Orte in England: London Borough of Sutton Sutton (Norfolk) Sutton (Merseyside) in den USA: Sutton (Massachusetts) Sutton (Nebraska) Sutton (New Hampshire) Sutton (Vermont) Sutton (West Virginia) in Neuseeland: Sutton (Neuseeland)… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sutton Benger — is a small village in the county of Wiltshire in England located 5 miles North East of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST947787. For the last few summers Sutton Benger has been the location of a popular local music event, details on… … Wikipedia
Peter Alfred Sutton — OMI (* 18. Oktober 1934 in Chandler) ist Alterzbischof von Keewatin Le Pas. Leben Peter Alfred Sutton trat der Ordensgemeinschaft der Oblaten (OMI) bei und empfing am 22. Oktober 1960 die Priesterweihe. Paul VI. ernannte ihn am 9. Mai 1974 zum… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Peter Brooke, Baron Brooke of Sutton Mandeville — Peter Leonard Brooke, Baron Brooke of Sutton Mandeville, CH (* 3. März 1934) ist ein britischer Politiker. Biografie Brooke, Sohn von Henry Brooke, Baron Brooke of Cumnor, der unter anderem 1962 bis 1964 Innenminister war, sowie von Barbara… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Peter III of Russia — Peter III Emperor Peter III, 1762 Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias Reign 5 January 1762 – 9 July 1762 … Wikipedia
Peter Ladefoged — Peter Nielsen Ladefoged (IPA en|ˈlædɨfoʊɡɨd [Based on Ladefoged s own transcription in the 2001 edition of his book Vowels and consonants: an introduction to the sounds of languages (page 74).] ; September 17, 1925 – January 24, 2006) was an… … Wikipedia
Peter Kennaugh — Peter Kennaugh … Wikipédia en Français
Peter Seivewright — (born 1954 in Skipton, England) is a British pianist. After music studies at Oxford, he was a post graduate student at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, where he studied piano with Ryszard Bakst.cite web url = http://www.divine… … Wikipedia
Peter Fear — (born 10 September 1973 in the London Borough of Sutton), nicknamed Fearo , is an English footballer, playing in central midfield. He currently plays for Sutton United in the Conference South, having rejoined the club in December 2006 after a… … Wikipedia
Peter Brooke — Peter Leonard Brooke, Baron Brooke of Sutton Mandeville, CH, PC (born 3 March 1934), is a British politician, a former Conservative Cabinet member, and former Member of Parliament for the Cities of London and Westminster.He is the son of Henry… … Wikipedia