- Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies Established 1933 Type Private Dean Thomas F. Gibbons Location Chicago, Evanston, Illinois, USA Campus Urban, Suburban Website http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/
The Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies (SCS) is one of eleven schools comprising Northwestern University, with campuses in Evanston and Chicago, Illinois. The school was founded in 1933 under its original name of University College.
The School of Continuing Studies caters to non-traditional students with various continuing education and degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, professional development, and corporate levels. Most courses are offered in the evenings or on weekends to accommodate the schedules of working students.
SCS has campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago. Their downtown location is in the Streeterville neighborhood alongside Lake Michigan and Lake Shore Drive. It is only blocks away from the Water Tower, the John Hancock Center, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Magnificent Mile. SCS also has a Loop campus near the Sears Tower and the Chicago Board of Trade Building. Additionally, SCS offers certain courses in Schaumburg and at Abbott Laboratories.
SCS students have 16 majors to choose from in the following areas:
- Art History
- Biological Sciences: Human Biology
- Communication Studies
- Communication Systems
- English And American Literature
- English Major in Writing
- Information Systems
- Leadership and Organization Behavior
- Organization Behavior
- Political Science
SCS offers nine different graduate degree programs. Like their undergraduate counterparts, graduate-level classes also meet on evenings and weekends to accommodate working adults. Graduate programs at SCS include:
- Master of Science in Information Systems (campus-based and online)
- Master of Science in Predictive Analytics
- Master of Arts in Creative Writing
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
- Master of Arts in Literature
- Master of Science in Medical Informatics (online)
- Master of Arts in Public Policy and Administration (campus-based and online)
- Master of Arts in Quality Assurance and Regulatory Science
- Master of Science in Clinical Research and Regulatory Administration
- Master of Arts in Sports Administration
In addition to its degree programs, SCS also offers certificate programs geared toward professional development. These programs are offered at Northwestern campuses in Evanston, Chicago and Schaumburg. Many of the programs consist of undergraduate courses that can be taken for credit. There are also noncredit programs filled with courses that exist outside the undergraduate curriculum. The general areas within which the professional development programs fall are:
- Leadership and Management
- Finance and Accounting
- Information Technology
- Nonprofit Management and Humanities
- Project Management
- Professional English and ESL
- Summer Session Institutes in Negotiation, Writers' Conference, Holocaust Education, and AP Training for high school teachers
SCS also offers certificates in post-baccalaureate programs. Many students use the post-baccalaureate programs to build their academic résumés in preparation for graduate study in business, education, medicine or law, while others enroll in programs to help advance their professional careers. Programs consist of non-credit courses held during the daytime and evening. Duration of programs varies from one day to twelve weeks. Post-baccalaureate certificate programs are offered in 31 different subjects, with general areas including:
- Bridges to Graduate Study and Professional Schools
- Finance and Accounting
- Information Technology
- Leadership and Management
- Professional Health Careers
- Design Your Own Certificate
One of the most popular certificates at SCS is the Professional Health Careers program, a post-baccalaureate program designed to provide students with the pre-medicine background necessary to apply to medical school. The program consists of four concentrations: pre-medicine (dentistry, veterinary medicine, physician assistant, pharmacy, osteopathy, podiatry), physical therapy, nursing, and clinical psychology.
SCS oversees Northwestern University Summer Session. Current college students, high school students, and individuals seeking professional development or personal enrichment can choose from over 300 course offerings during the summer, including intensive language and science sequences, where a full year of credit can be earned, or a three-day summer institute. Summer Institutes include:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Summer Institute
- Summer Writers' Conference
- Summer Institute in Negotiations
- College Bridge Program
- Summer Institute on the Holocaust and Holocaust Education
College Preparation Program
SCS also oversees the Northwestern University College Preparation Program. This summer program for high school students offers three, six, and nine-week options as part of Northwestern’s Summer Session. Students can choose from over 350 undergraduate courses and can earn college credit for the courses they take, allowing students an opportunity to explore a variety of academic areas and get a head-start on a college career.
College Prep holds weekly Get Ready seminars designed to prepare students for the transition between high school and college life, and how to navigate the college admissions and application process.
- ^ "The History of the School of Continuing Studies at Northwestern University". Northwestern University. http://scs.northwestern.edu/about/history.cfm. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- ^ "Undergraduate Degrees and Majors at the School of Continuing Studies at Northwestern University". Northwestern University. http://scs.northwestern.edu/ugrad/degrees/. Retrieved 2007-11-14.
- ^ "Professional Health Careers Credit PDP at the School of Continuing Studies at Northwestern University". Northwestern University. http://scs.northwestern.edu/pdp/cpdp/health/index.cfm. Retrieved 2007-11-14.
- Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies Web site
- School of Continuing Studies on Twitter
- School of Continuing Studies on LinkedIn
- Summer College Prep
- Profile of the School of Continuing Studies Northwestern Magazine
Northwestern University AcademicsWeinberg College of Arts and Sciences • School of Communication • Bienen School of Music • Kellogg School of Management • McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science • Medill School of Journalism • School of Education and Social Policy • Feinberg School of Medicine • Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary • School of Law • The Graduate School • School of Continuing Studies ResearchArgonne/Northwestern Solar Energy Research Center • Infrastructure Technology Institute • Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology Campus Athletics Media Traditions People
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies — The Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies (SCS), is a school at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., United States. SCS provides a Georgetown education to students at every stage of learning, including high school programs for… … Wikipedia
Northwestern University School of Education and Social Policy — School of Education and Social Policy (SESP) Established 1926 Type Unit of Northwestern University Dean Penelope L. Peterson Academic staff 23 … Wikipedia
Northwestern University School of Law — Motto Quaecumque sunt vera (Latin) Ὁ Λόγος πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας Ho logos pleres charitos kai aletheias (Greek) Whatsoever things are true (Philippians 4:8 AV) The word full of grace and truth ( … Wikipedia
Northwestern University School of Communication — Established 1878 Type Unit of Northwestern University Dean Barbara O Keefe Academic staff 450 … Wikipedia
Northwestern University Dance Marathon — Abbreviation NUDM Formation 1975 Purpose/focus Philanthropy Location Evanston, IL Executive Co Chairs Kunal Joshi Scott Ri … Wikipedia
Northwestern University Wildcat Marching Band — School Northwestern University Location Evanston, Illinois Conference … Wikipedia
Northwestern University Press — Parent company Northwestern University Founded 1893 Country of origin United States Headquarters location Evanston, Illinois Publication types … Wikipedia
Northwestern University Law Review — Discipline Law Language English … Wikipedia
Northwestern University Master of Product Design and Development — Northwestern University Master of Product Design and Development. Top 30 Design thinking school in the World Northwestern Master of Product Design and Development (MPD²) is an educational program within the McCormick School of Engineering at… … Wikipedia
Northwestern University — For other universities with a similar name, see Northwestern University (disambiguation). Northwestern University Motto Quaecumque sunt vera (Latin) Ὁ Λόγος πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας Ho logos plere … Wikipedia