- Marshall Altman
Background information Genres Mainstream pop, Singer/songwriter, Country, Christian, Metal, Indie Occupations Record producer
Years active 1995 - present Website http://marshallaltman.com/
Marshall Noah Altman is a Nashville-based record producer and songwriter who owns the Galt Line studio in Nashville, Tennessee. He was formerly an A&R person for such labels as Capitol Records, Hollywood Records and Columbia Records, as well as the former frontman for the alternative band Farmer. As a record producer, he has worked for a variety of artists, including Natasha Bedingfield, Matt Nathanson, Kate Voegele, Matt Duke, Audrey Assad and Marc Broussard.
Altman was born in New York City and raised in Pomona, a city in Rockland County, New York. He moved to the Los Angeles, California area for high school and stayed in the area until the summer of 2010, when he moved his studio and family to Nashville.
Early career, A&R work
After graduating high school in Huntington Beach, California Altman attended college at UC Santa Barbara, for a major in business and a minor in music. He left UC Santa Barbara before finishing his degree to attend the Grove School of Music in Los Angeles. After finishing at Grove, he went onto perform a series of odd and side jobs such pizza delivery, waiter, and swim teacher while also working for free as a music programmer. Eventually he started a recording career with a studio as a second engineer. When that studio went out of business, he borrowed money to set up his own small recording studio in Hollywood. While running his own studio he did work writing software, which then lead to software work with Capitol/EMI. He quit his studio and left for a job at Capitol, working in sales and eventually moving to the A&R department as a scout.
During this time he formed a band called Farmer in 1995 that was signed by Aware Records and later released an eponymous album in 1997. While on the road touring with Farmer he served as an A&R scout for Capitol, while also listening to demo submissions. One of those submissions was for the artist Citizen Cope (Clarence Greenwood), which he helped develop and was able to get signed a record deal to Capitol. Following the signing, Altman was awarded with an executive A&R job. He quit his band and focused on A&R, keeping the career for ten years. During this time he moved from Capitol Records, to Hollywood Records and to finally Columbia Records.
During his last years as an A&R executive at Columbia, he also began actively working as a record producer. Some of his early work includes producing Marc Broussard's first two albums, Momentary Setback and Carencro, as well as an album for the band Jupiter Sunrise. He eventually left Columbia to pursue being a full time record producer in 2005, starting the Galt Line Music label and a studio in Burbank, California. During the production of Todd Carey's album Watching Waiting he was introduced to engineer Eric Robinson by Carey, and Altman and Robinson would continue a working partnership at the Galt Line for years afterward. At the Galt Line he would go on to produce for a variety of artists, achieving commercial success with albums such as Kate Voegele's Don't Look Away and Matt Nathanson's Some Mad Hope. His other producer credits include albums for: Bethany Dillon, Natasha Bedingfield, Gabe Dixon, Walker Hayes, Rosi Golan, Adema, Matt Wertz, Trevor Hall, Caitlin Crosby, Kimberly Caldwell, and Tom Morello and others.
Marshall founded the label Galt Line Music in 2007, and its first release, the eponymous album by Curtis Peoples, came out in August 2008.
Selected production works
- Audrey Assad - The House You're Building (2010)
- Alexa Wilkinson — Lions (2009)
- Adema — Kill the Headlights (2007)
- Brooke Fraser — Albertine (2007)
- Bethany Dillon — Stop & Listen (2009)
- Caitlin Crosby — Flawz (2009)
- Curtis Peoples — Curtis Peoples (2008)
- Josh Wilson — Life Is Not a Snapshot (2009)
- Josh Hoge — Everything She Was (2008)
- Kimberly Caldwell — Without Regret (2011)
- Kate Voegele — Don't Look Away (2007)
- Matt Nathanson - Some Mad Hope (2007)
- Matt Duke - Kingdom Underground (2008)
- Marc Broussard - Momentary Setback (2002)
- Marc Broussard - Carencro (2003)
- Todd Carey - Watching Waiting (2007)
- Trevor Hall - Trevor Hall (2009)
- Walker Hayes - Reason To Rhyme (2009)
- William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow & The Crow (2008)
- ^ a b c Evan Amos (17 May 2011). "Marshal Altman interview". http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Evan-Amos/Interviews/MarshallAltman. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- ^ a b "Marc Broussard - Momentary Setback CD". CD Universe. http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6091131/a/Momentary+Setback.htm. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- ^ "Audrey Assad impresses with debut album". Christian Today. 14 May 2010. http://www.christiantoday.com/article/audrey.assad.scends.with.debut.album.the.house.youre.building/25888.htm. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- ^ a b "Brooke Fraser Artist Profile". http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/artistdetail.php?artist_id=177. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- ^ a b c d e Michael Laskow (1999). "Marshall Altman: A&R, Hollywood Records". Taxi A&R. http://www.taxi.com/music-business-faq/ar/altman99.html. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- ^ a b c d Michael Laskow (2002). "Marshall Altman: A&R, Columbia Records". Taxi A&R. http://www.taxi.com/music-business-faq/ar/altman02.html. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- ^ a b c "Marshall Altman bio". Razor & Tie. http://www.razorandtiemusicpublishing.com/artist/marshall-altman. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- ^ "Aware Discography". Aware Records. http://www.awarerecords.com/discography.php. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- ^ "Farmer CD Listing". Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000001U7C. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- ^ Evan Amos. "Todd Carey interview". http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Evan-Amos/Interviews/ToddCarey. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- ^ Brian Lush. "ROCKWIRED INTERVIEWS CURTIS PEOPLES". rockwired.com. http://www.rockwired.com/curtispeoples.html. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
ALTMAN (R.) — Robert Altman n’a vraiment connu que deux succès internationaux: M.A.S.H. et Nashville , sortis respectivement en 1970 et 1975. La fin de la décennie est marquée par la vente de sa maison de production Lions Gate Films (fondée en 1968) et les… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Marshall Thundering Herd men's basketball — Marshall Thundering Herd Basketball University Marshall University First season 1907 All time record … Wikipedia
Dana Altman — Sport(s) Men s basketball Current position Title Head coach Team University of Oregon Record 21 18 (.538) Biographical details Born June 16 … Wikipedia
Sean Altman — Infobox musical artist Name = Sean Altman Img capt = Singer songwriter Sean Altman Background = solo singer Born = birth date and age|1961|5|9 San Diego, California Origin = flagicon|USA Riverdale, The Bronx, New York City Instrument = voice,… … Wikipedia
B. Altman and Company — was a New York City based department store founded in 1865 by Benjamin Altman. It officially closed on December 31, 1989. One of the first American department stores to open out of town branches, Altman s eventually opened locations in… … Wikipedia
Mike Marshall — Pour le joueur de baseball, voir Mike Marshall (lanceur). Pour les articles homonymes, voir Marshall. Michael Marshall, généralement appelé Mike Marshall, est un acteur franco américain né le 13 septembre 1944 à … Wikipédia en Français
Kill the Headlights — Infobox Album | Name = Kill the Headlights Type = studio Artist = Adema Released = February 13, 2007 Recorded = 2007 in Los Angeles, California Genre = Alternative rock Alternative metal Length = 39:23 Label = Immortal Records/Adema… … Wikipedia
Parachute (Lied) — Parachute Cheryl Cole Veröffentlichung 11. März 2010 (siehe Veröffentlichung) Länge 3:40 (Album Version) 3:31 (Radio Mix) Genre(s) R B … Deutsch Wikipedia
Strip Me — Para el álbum de Anna Tsuchiya, véase Strip Me? Strip Me Álbum de estudio de Natasha Bedingfield Publicación 7 de diciembre de 2010 Grabación 2008 Julio de 2010; Los Ángeles Género(s) R B, pop … Wikipedia Español
Matt Duke (musician) — Matt Duke Background information Birth name Matthew Thomas Duke Born January 20, 1985 (1985 01 … Wikipedia