- Molly Garnier
From 1993 to 1999 Garnier was educated in England at Gresham's School, Holt, and then from 1999 in Scotland at the Edinburgh College of Art, where she gained a Bachelor of Arts degree with first class honours in Art and Design in 2003. While a student, she spent her summers travelling in Italy, Greece and Spain, staying in European artistic cities. In 2000, she visited Thailand and Malaysia.
Garnier is principally a figurative painter, and is best known for her paintings of the female nude. She has said "I am concerned with the feeling, the impression, the revelation a painting gives you rather than actual realism", and that she "explores the play of light and shadow on skin tones". Some of her work is inspired by her latest travels, which include trips to the Himalayas and Rajasthan.
The critic Moira Jeffrey has called Garnier's work "reminiscent of Degas and those Victorian photographs of women accidentally glimpsed in domestic surroundings". Duncan MacMillan wrote in The Scotsman in 2003 of her "small smoky images of the female nude that are quite memorable" and in 2004 of Garnier's "exquisite small nude paintings".
Garnier has exhibited mostly in Scotland. In Edinburgh, at the Royal Society of Arts Annual Exhibition, the RSA's Visual Arts Scotland, the Royal College of Physicians, the Leith Gallery, the Morningside Gallery, the Scottish Gallery, and the Phoenix 369 Gallery; and also at the Compass Gallery, Glasgow, the South Street Gallery, St Andrews, the Frames Gallery, Perth, the Cairns Gallery, Peebles, the Paisley Institute of Art and Design, Paisley, and the RendezVous Gallery, Aberdeen. In London, she has exhibited work at Painters' Hall, the Northcote Gallery, the Air Gallery, and the Collyer-Bristow Gallery.
An early solo exhibition was at Morston Hall, Norfolk, in 2003.
- March, 2003: The W. Gordon Smith Award and the Linda Clark Nolan Award at the Royal Society of Arts
- June, 2003: The Andrew Grant Bequest Travel Scholarship (Paris) of the Edinburgh College of Art
- November, 2006: The Lynn Painter-Stainers Young Artist Award of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers of London, for the painting Slow Dancing
- ^ a b c d e f Biography of Molly Garnier at mollygarnier.co.uk (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ a b Welcome to the website of Molly Garnier at mollygarnier.co.uk (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ a b c Molly Garnier page at rendezvous-gallery.co.uk (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Artistic inspiration to the highest degree article by Duncan MacMillan in The Scotsman, 24 June 2003 (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Freudian Slick article by Duncan MacMillan in The Scotsman, 6 April 2004 (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Contemporary and Emerging Scottish Artists at rcpe.ac.uk (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize Exhibition 2006 at parkerharris.co.uk (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Visions in Colour at the Collyer-Bristow Gallery (accessed 3 November 2007)
- ^ Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2007: Call for Entries at painter-stainers.org (accessed 3 November 2007)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Old Greshamians — The following is a list of notable Old Greshamians, former pupils of Gresham s School, Norfolk, England. Public life*James Allan British High Commissioner in Mauritius and ambassador to Mozambique Lidell, Charles Lawrence Scruton Douglas, A. B.,… … Wikipedia
List of painters by name — The following list of painters by name includes nearly 1,900 painters from all ages and parts of the world. A*Pacita Abad (1946–2004) *Herb Aach (1923–1985) *Hans von Aachen (1552–1615) *Riza Abbasi (1565–1635) *Giuseppe Abbati (1836–1868) *Mary… … Wikipedia
Edinburgh College of Art — Infobox University name =Edinburgh College of Art native name = latin name = motto = established =1760 type =Art school endowment = staff = faculty = chancellor = principal = Professor Ian Howard dean = rector = free label = free= students =… … Wikipedia
List of British artists — A partial list of artists active in Britain, arranged chronologically (but alphabetically within any year).Born before 1700*Francis Barlow (1626? ndash;1704) English painter, etcher, and illustrator *Samuel Cooper (c.1608 ndash;1672) English… … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
Alice Paul - Der Weg ins Licht — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Alice Paul – Der Weg ins Licht Originaltitel: Iron Jawed Angels Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 2004 Länge: 125 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Alice Paul – Der Weg ins Licht — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Alice Paul – Der Weg ins Licht Originaltitel: Iron Jawed Angels Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 2004 Länge: 125 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Iron Jawed Angels — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Alice Paul – Der Weg ins Licht Originaltitel: Iron Jawed Angels Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 2004 Länge: 125 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rock Werchter — Plaine de Werchter 2010 Genre Rock, Pop Lieu Werchter … Wikipédia en Français
A Campingflight to Lowlands Paradise — Eingang des Festivals Keane live auf dem Lowlands 2004 … Deutsch Wikipedia