- Leslie Milne (anthropologist)
Mary Lewis Harper Milne known as Leslie Milne (1860-1932) was an English lady who traveled extensively and wrote about the ethnic peoples of the Shan State in Northern Burma. Her best known book, The Shans at Home, was an account of the cultural practices and day to day life of the Shan people of the village of Namkham in Shan State and was based on the many months she spent living in that village. She was also the author of The Home of an Eastern Clan, a book about the life and culture of the Palaung people, and wrote the first, and what is possibly the only English - Palaung dictionary.
- The Shans at Home, London, John Murray (1910).
- An Elementary Palaung Grammar, Oxford, Clarendon Press (1921). Published in 1921, this was the first survey of the grammar of the Palaung language, the language of a hill tribe of the Shan State of Burma and of the Yunnan province of China. Mrs. Milne traveled to Namshan, the capital of the Palaung state of Tawngpeng, to the Palaungs of North Hsenwi, as well as to the Palaungs of Yunnan to collect material for this book.
- The Home of an Eastern Clan: A Study of the Palaungs of the Shan State, Oxford, Clarendon Press (1924).
- A Dictionary of English-Palaung and Palaung-English, Rangoon (1931).
- ^ Milne, Leslie (1910) The Shans at Home John Murray, London, OCLC 58875322
- ^ Milne, Leslie (1924) The Home of an Eastern Clan: A study of the Palaungs of the Shan states Clarendon Press, Oxford, England, OCLC 5226811
- ^ Blagdeb, C. O. (1933) "Review of A Dictionary of English-Palaung and Palaung-English" Man 33: p. 23
- Shorto, H. L. (1973). Three Mon-Khmer Word Families. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, Vol 36 No. 2, pp. 374-381.
- Grierson, George A. (1922). An Elementary Palaung Grammar: Book Review. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, Vol 2 No. 2, pp. 339-340.
- Hodson, T. C. (1912). The Shans at Home: Book Review. The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol 12, pp. 27-29.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Milne (surname) — Milne /ˈmɪln/ is a surname of Scottish origin, and may refer to: In military: Sir Alexander Milne, 1st Baronet, British admiral Archibald Berkeley Milne (1855–1938), admiral of the Royal Navy Sir David Milne, British admiral Duncan Grinnell Milne … Wikipedia
List of Burma-related articles — Articles (arranged alphabetically) related to Burma include: compactTOC20 9.bu .mm 13 Carat Diamond and Other Stories (.) 1991 Bangladesh cyclone (.) 2007 Burmese anti government protests 8888 Uprising (. .)AAchang (. . . . . . . . . . .)… … Wikipedia
Namshan — Namhsan နမ့်ဆန်မြို့ … Wikipedia
List of University of Pennsylvania people — This is a list of current and former faculty, alumni, and non graduating attendees of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the United States.Nobel LaureatesPhysics *Raymond Davis 2002 Nobel Prize in Physics **for… … Wikipedia
literature — /lit euhr euh cheuhr, choor , li treuh /, n. 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays. 2.… … Universalium
List of Scots — is an incomplete list of notable people from Scotland. This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. Contents 1 Actors 2 Architects 3 Artists … Wikipedia
1928 in literature — The year 1928 in literature involved some significant events and new books.Events*Ford Madox Ford publishes Last Post . It is the final book of a four volume work titled Parade s End published between 1924 and 1928. *George Orwell returns from… … Wikipedia
1926 — This article is about the year 1926. Millennium: 2nd millennium Centuries: 19th century – 20th century – 21st century Decades: 1890s 1900s 1910s – 1920s – 1930s … Wikipedia
Enfield Grammar School — Infobox UK school name = Enfield Grammar School size = latitude = 51.6531 longitude = 0.0831 dms = yes motto = Tant Que Je Puis (As Much As I Can) established = 1558 (incorporating earlier foundation approx. 1398 1418) approx = type =… … Wikipedia