- The Herbfarm
The Herbfarm is an American restaurant and an early practitioner of
local food. This is a philosophy that promotes the growing, enjoyment, and consumption of foods from a limited region.
The Herbfarm is located outside
Seattle, Washington, in the city of Woodinville. It was one of the first modern restaurants in America to focus solely on preparing regional foods from local sources. Other well-known practitioners include Alice Waters' Chez Panissein Berkeley, California, the Sooke Harbour Housein British Columbia, and Odessa Piper's l'Etoile in Madison, Wisconsin. Like those restaurants, it is a member of Slow Food, an international movement to preserve artisanal food.
The Herbfarm began not as a restaurant but as an herbal nursery in 1974. In 1986, Ron Zimmerman joined the establishment along with his wife, Carrie Van Dyck. That year they converted a farm garage into a small restaurant and named it The Herbfarm.
In January 1997, a fire destroyed the restaurant. [ [http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~bobofwa/1997_Herbfarm_Restaurant_Fire.htm Seattle P-I: Herbfarm Hopes to Rebuild a Four Star Memory] ] Difficulties in securing building permits caused the Zimmermans to move in 1999 to the Hedges Wine Cellars in Issaquah, Washington. The Herbfarm opened in current Woodinville quarters in 2001.
Jerry Traunfeld, winner of the 2000 James BeardAward for "Best American Chef: Northwest and Hawaii" [ [http://starchefs.com/JBeard/2000/amex.html James Beard Awards 2000] ] was the executive chef from July 1990 - November 2007. He is the author of "The Herbfarm Cookbook" and "The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor". Traunfeld has appeared on " Martha StewartLiving", "Better Homes and Gardens", "The Splendid Table" and other American television and radio programs.
Keith Luce is the current executive chef. [ [http://www.theherbfarm.com/about/chef.html The Herbfarm Chef] ]
As of 2006 and 2007, the
sommeliers at The Herbfarm were Tysan Pierce and Lisa Rongren.
* Nathaniel and Andrew Lande named The Herbfarm number one on their list of Top Destination Restaurants in the world in 2006 in the book, "Passport to the Best--The 10 Best of Everything: an Ultimate Guide for Travelers." Fact|date=January 2008
* In 2005, The Herbfarm was honored as "Restaurant of the Year" at the third annual Washington Wine Restaurant Awards. [ [http://www.restaurantnewsresource.com/article15504.html Seattle Times/Washington Wine Commission Awards: Restaurant of the Year 2005] ]
* In 2006,
Gayotput the restaurant on its "Top 40 Restaurants in the United States." [ [http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/restaurantissue/2006/top40/the_herbfarm.html Gayot's Top 40 Restaurants in the United States] ]
* In 2005 it was awarded first place in Restaurant Hospitality's 16th Annual Best Wine Lists in America Competition. [ [http://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/article/8540/ 2005 Best Wine List in America article, Restaurant Hospitality] ]
* In 2005, The Herbfarm was the only American restaurant with the AAA 5-Diamond Award north of San Francisco and west of Chicago.Fact|date=January 2008
* It was inducted into the American Restaurant "Fine Dining Hall of Fame" in 2003.Fact|date=January 2008
* In October 2001,
Gourmetmagazine named The Herbfarm number 15 in its ranking of "America's Best 50 Restaurants." Fact|date=January 2008
* It was also among the few restaurants in America to rate 28 or 29 points on the
Zagat Survey30 point scale.Fact|date=January 2008
* [http://www.theherbfarm.com/ Official site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jerry Traunfeld — is an American chef and author, was the executive chef of The Herbfarm restaurant in Woodinville, Washington. He was the chef at The Herbfarm from July 1990 to November 2007. Prior to that he was the executive chef of the Alexis Hotel in Seattle… … Wikipedia
Woodinville, Washington — Infobox Settlement official name = City of Woodinville settlement type = City nickname = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250x200px map caption = Location of Woodinville in King County and Washington mapsize1 = map caption1 =… … Wikipedia