- National Mentoring Month
National Mentoring Month is a campaign held each January to promote youth mentoring in the United States. It was inaugurated in 2002, and is spearheaded by the Harvard School of Public Health, MENTOR, and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Each year since 2002, President George W. Bush has endorsed the campaign by proclaiming January as National Mentoring Month. The declaration has been endorsed by both chambers of the Congress. The campaign's media partners have included: ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC; Comcast; National Association of Broadcasters; Time Warner; and Viacom.
Participants in the National Mentoring Month campaign include leading nonprofit organizations and numerous governors and mayors. Designated nonprofit and governmental agencies are responsible for coordinating local campaign activities in communities across the country, including media outreach and volunteer recruitment. Local lead partners include state and local affiliates of MENTOR/National Mentoring Partnership, Corporation for National and Community Service, Points of Light Foundation and Volunteer Center National Network, America's Promise Alliance, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, Communities in Schools, and United Way of America.
A highlight of the campaign is Thank Your Mentor Day, in which Americans thank and honor their mentors. People are encouraged to contact their mentors directly to express appreciation, become a mentor in their own community, make a financial contribution to a local mentoring program, or post a tribute on WhoMentoredYou.org.
General Colin Powell is the lead spokesperson for National Mentoring Month 2009.
As President-elect, Barack Obama agreed to be featured in a print ad in support of National Mentoring Month 2009.
- ^ In-Sung Yoo (2004-01-26). "Mentoring swells into 'a movement'". USAToday.com. USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2004-01-26-mentoring_x.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- ^ "Media Campaign Focuses National Attention on Mentoring Program for At-Risk Youths". Grant Results. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. February 2004. http://www.rwjf.org/reports/grr/040878.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- ^ a b "National Mentoring Month 2008". Harvard School of Public Health. 2007-09-05. Archived from the original on 2007-09-05. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2007-releases/press09052007.html. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- ^ "National Mentoring Month 2007". MENTOR. 2007-01-01. http://www.mentoring.org/whats_new/national_mentoring_month_2007.php. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- ^ "National Mentoring Month". Corporation for National and Community Service. 2006-12-21. http://www.nationalservice.org/about/newsroom/releases_detail.asp?tbl_pr_id=542. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- ^ Bush, George W. (2007-12-19). "National Mentoring Month, 2008". Office of the Press Secretary. http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2007/12/20071219-4.html. Retrieved 2008-08-17.
- ^ Elliott, Stuart (2002-01-25). "THE MEDIA BUSINESS: ADVERTISING; A determined effort to recruit mentors to work with youths.". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D07EFD91F3BF936A15752C0A9649C8B63&pagewanted=all. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- ^ Alund, Natalie Neysa (2006-01-09). "January is a month for mentoring children". The Dominion Post (Morgantown, West Virginia)
- ^ Stuart Elliott (2008-12-18). "Advertising: Obama’s Stamp of Approval, Prepresidential". nytimes.com. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/business/media/19adco.html?scp=2&sq=mentoring&st=Search.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Peace Corps Association — Type 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization Founded 1979 Location Washington, D.C. A … Wikipedia
National Youth Leadership Training — Ow … Wikipedia
National School of Leadership — National School of Leadership, IN Motto Lead by Choice Established 2008 Type Private … Wikipedia
National Day Parade — The Singapore National Day Parade (Abbreviation: NDP, simplified Chinese: 国庆庆典; traditional Chinese: 國慶慶典; pinyin: guóqìng qìngdiǎn, Malay: Perbarisan Hari Kebangsaan, Tamil: தேசிய தின அணிவகுப்பு) is a national ceremony in Singapore that, as its… … Wikipedia
National Art Education Association — Logo of the National Art Education Association. The National Art Education Association (NAEA), a professional association, is the world s largest professional art education association. It was founded in 1947. Contents 1 Membership … Wikipedia
National Block and Bridle Club — The National Block and Bridle Club (B B) is a college club founded on December 2, 1919, in Chicago by Iowa State University, Kansas State University, University of Missouri, and University of Nebraska. Today, Block Bridle has 92 college chapters… … Wikipedia
National Haitian Student Alliance — The National Haitian Student Alliance (NHSA) is a non profit organization, which serves as an umbrella organization to all Haitian student groups and affiliated clubs in the United States and Canada s community colleges, universities, and all… … Wikipedia
Youth mentoring — is the process of matching mentors with young people who need or want a caring, responsible adult in their lives. Adult mentors are usually unrelated to the child or teen and work as volunteers through a community , school , or church based… … Wikipedia
Afghan National Army — Emblem of the Afghan National Army. Active 1880 (current form: 2002) Country … Wikipedia
Delaware Army National Guard — Headquarters, State Area Command Delaware Army National Guard Active Country United States Allegiance Delaware Branch Army National Guard … Wikipedia