- Daun di Atas Bantal
Daun di Atas Bantal Directed by Garin Nugroho Written by Garin Nugroho
Starring Christine Hakim
Music by Djaduk Ferianto Cinematography Nurhidayat Editing by Sentot Sahid Release date(s) 14 August 1998 Running time 83 minutes Country Indonesia Language Indonesian
Daun di Atas Bantal (released in English as Leaf on a Pillow) is a 1998 award winning Indonesian film directed by Garin Nugroho. It is one of the most acclaimed films from Indonesia in recent years and was the country's proposal for an Academy Award. It was also screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.
The film follows three street children, Sugeng, Heru, and Kancil (played by themselves), in their day-to-day lives in Yogyakarta. Although they live in poverty, are from broken homes, and must sell marijuana to survive, they aspire to rise above poverty and hope to receive an education. They are supported by Asih (Christine Hakim), a saleswoman who lets them stay in her workshop; the children fight over Asih's leaf pillow.
The children's lives do not go smoothly. Sugeng dies after attempting to help another street child, while Kancil is decapitated while playing on top of a train. Heru falls victim to an insurance scam, where he is given false identification papers and then killed to collect the premium.
Daun di Atas Bantal was produced by Hakim, who also played Alih. The film was her first production, and she initially did not intend to act in it to avoid stress; however, she changed her mind after being told the film would be more marketable in Japan if she acted in it. Hakim has called the film "an expensive university" for her because she made a mistake that required Nugroho to reshoot all of the footage. In an attempt to cut expenses, she had saved all cans of exposed film in an attempt to send them to the developing together; upon their receipt, the lab notified her that a technical fault with the camera had rendered the film unusable, and that it could have been detected earlier had she sent each can as it was filmed.
Hakim chose Garin Nugroho to direct the film, noting that he was a "very talented young director", partly inspired by Nurgoho's 1995 documentary film on street children Dongeng Kancil untuk Kemerdekaan.
The street children in Daun di atas Bantal are actual street children, who portray "dramatized versions" of their own lives. After production, Hakim ensured that the children received an education; for example, Heru was placed in a music school.
Style and themes
According to Stephen Holden in a review for The New York Times, Daun di Atas Bantal is a "documentary-flavored" film that does not attempt to make the viewer care for the characters; he describes it as being detached and loosely structured. Ade Irwansyah of Tabloid Bintang notes that the plot is much more linear than Nugroho's earlier works, without confusing metaphors or poetic imagery.
The film deals with poverty in Indonesia, as seen through the experiences of the poor.
Release and reception
Daun di Atas Bantal was shown in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival on 23 May 1998. It was Indonesia's submission to the 71st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film, although it was not nominated.
Derek Elley, writing for Variety, called the movie Nugroho's best work to date, noting that although the opening was weak, "the viewer is slowly drawn into the urchins' nether world". Holden wrote that the film "hits you in the face with almost unimaginable squalor and a patchwork of teeming sights and sounds that are more than the senses can take in". In 2010, Ade Irwansyah of Tabloid Bintang listed Daun di Atas Bantal as the 17th best Indonesian film of all time, noting that it was the first film in which Nugroho's dialogue was effective and the plot was easy to follow.
- Asia-Pacific Film Festival – 1998 – Best Actress – Christine Hakim
- Asia-Pacific Film Festival – 1998 – Best Film
- Singapore International Film Festival – 1999 – Unggulan dalam kategori Silver Screen Award Best Asian Feature Film – Garin Nugroho
- Tokyo International Film Festival – 1998 – Special Jury Prize – Garin Nugroho
- Elley, Derek (7 June 1998). "Leaf on a Pillow". Variety. http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117912953?refcatid=31. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Festival de Cannes: Daun di Atas Bantal". festival-cannes.com. http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/ficheFilm/id/10325/year/1998.html. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Holden, Stephen (10 April 1999). "Leaf on a Pillow (1998): Film Festival Review; Street Boys Of Jakarta: Hopeless, Undeterred". New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C0DE2DE1338F933A25757C0A96F958260. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Irwansyah, Ade (23 April 2010). "25 film Indonesia Terbaik Sepanjang Masa [25 Best Indonesian Movies of All Time]" (in Indonesian). Tabloid Bintang. http://www.tabloidbintang.com/extra/top-list/2752-25-film-indonesia-terbaik-sepanjang-masa-.html?start=2. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Tanvir, Kuhu (April 2009). "Interview: Christine Hakim". Wide Screen 1 (1): 1–4. ISSN 1757-3920. http://widescreenjournal.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/26/33. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Webb, Cynthia (8 December 2010). "Christine Hakim: Going where life leads her". The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/12/08/christine-hakim-going-where-life-leads-her.html. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Widjaya, Yan (22 November 2007). "Upaya Indonesia Mencari Peluang [Indonesia's Looking for a Chance]" (in Indonesian). Suara Pembaruan. Archived from the original on 12 March 2008. http://web.archive.org/web/20080312162358/http://www.suarapembaruan.com/News/2007/11/23/Hiburan/hib07.htm. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Daun di Atas Bantal at the Internet Movie Database
- Daun di atas bantal (Leaf on a Pillow) at Rotten Tomatoes
Films of Garin Nugroho
Dua Gerbong Satu (1984) • Tepuk Tangan (1989) • Cinta Dalam Sepotong Roti (1991) • Air dan Romi (1991) • Surat untuk Bidadari (1994) • Dongeng Kancil untuk Kemerdekaan (1995) • Bulan Tertusuk Ilalang (1995) • My Family, My Films and My Nation (1998) • Daun di Atas Bantal (1998) • Puisi Tak Terkuburkan (2000) • Layar hidup: Tanjang priok/Jakarta (2001) • Rembulan di Ujung Dahan (2002) (TV) •Aku Ingin Menciummu Sekali Saja (2002) • Rindu Kami Padamu (2004) • Serambi (2006) • Opera Jawa (2006) • Di Bawah Pohon (2008) •
Cinema of Indonesia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christine Hakim — Born Herlina Christine Natalia Hakim 25 December 1957 (1957 12 25) (age 53) … Wikipedia
Culture of Indonesia — Indonesian children dress in various traditional costumes. Indonesian culture has been shaped by long interaction between original indigenous customs and multiple foreign … Wikipedia
Garin Nugroho — Infobox actor imagesize = 150px name = Garin Nugroho birthname = Garin Nugroho Riyanto birthdate = June 6 1961 location = Yogyakarta INA deathdate = deathplace = othername = yearsactive = 1984 spouse = homepage = notable role = academyawards =… … Wikipedia
Kancil's Tale of Freedom — Dongeng Kancil untuk Kemerdekaan The film follows four children on Malioboro Street Directed by Garin Nugroho … Wikipedia
Opera Jawa — Siti redirects here. For the American theater company, see SITI Company. Opera Jawa The Austrian theatrical poster. Directed by Garin Nugroho … Wikipedia
Christine Hakim — Christine Hakim, de son nom complet Herlina Christine Natalia Hakim, est une actrice de cinéma indonésienne, née le 25 décembre 1957 à Kuala Tungkal (province de Jambi, Indonésie). Sa famille, musulmane, lui a donné entre autres le nom… … Wikipédia en Français
Culture Indonésienne — La culture indonésienne recouvre tout ce qui se produit et s est produit, non seulement dans le contexte de la République d Indonésie, mais aussi en rapport avec le vœu d une future nation indonésienne[réf. nécessaire]. Sommaire 1 La… … Wikipédia en Français
Culture de l'Indonésie — Culture indonésienne La culture indonésienne recouvre tout ce qui se produit et s est produit, non seulement dans le contexte de la République d Indonésie, mais aussi en rapport avec le vœu d une future nation indonésienne[réf. nécessaire].… … Wikipédia en Français
Culture indonesienne — Culture indonésienne La culture indonésienne recouvre tout ce qui se produit et s est produit, non seulement dans le contexte de la République d Indonésie, mais aussi en rapport avec le vœu d une future nation indonésienne[réf. nécessaire].… … Wikipédia en Français
Culture indonésienne — Le nom « Indonésie » a été forgé en 1850 par l’anthropologue britannique J. R. Logan pour désigner la région insulaire située entre l’Asie continentale et l’Australie, que les Européens considéraient comme un prolongement de l’Inde en… … Wikipédia en Français