- Ocqueoc Township, Michigan
Ocqueoc Township, Michigan — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Michigan County Presque Isle Area – Total 52.6 sq mi (136.3 km2) – Land 52.3 sq mi (135.5 km2) – Water 0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) Elevation 623 ft (190 m) Population (2000) – Total 634 – Density 12.1/sq mi (4.7/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) FIPS code 26-60160 GNIS feature ID 1626836
- 1 Geography
- 2 Transportation
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Education
- 5 Area Attractions
- 6 Area Events
- 7 Media
- 8 References
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 52.6 square miles (136.3 km²), of which, 52.3 square miles (135.5 km²) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.8 km²) of it (0.59%) is water.
- Hammond Bay (Lake Huron)
- Ocqueoc Falls
- Ocqueoc Lake
The nearest private airports in Presque Isle County are:
The nearest commercial airports are:
Michigan State Trunklines
- North Allis Highway
- Ocqueoc Falls Highway
- Ocqueoc Road
As of the census of 2000, there were 634 people, 280 households, and 199 families residing in the township. The population density was 12.1 per square mile (4.7/km²). There were 691 housing units at an average density of 13.2 per square mile (5.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.42% White, 0.32% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.47% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population.
There were 280 households out of which 19.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.9% were non-families. 25.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.55.
In the township the population was spread out with 17.0% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 18.6% from 25 to 44, 29.5% from 45 to 64, and 31.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 54 years. For every 100 females there were 85.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,125, and the median income for a family was $33,269. Males had a median income of $27,143 versus $25,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,432. About 9.4% of families and 14.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.3% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
Ocqueoc Township is part of the Onaway Area Community School district.
The Onaway Schools consists of an Elementary school (K-5) and Middle/High School (6-12).
- Rogers City Municipal Marina has nearly 100 slips, most on floating docks. There is a fishing platform on the east wall for breakwater fishing.
- P. H. Hoeft State Park has one mile (1.6 km) of sandy shoreline and 301 acres (1.22 km2) on Lake Huron. Hiking trails run through the forest and along the lake. There is a 142 site campground. The day use area has a playground, picnic sites, and a beach. It was one of the fourteen original Michigan state parks, and the land was donated by lumber baron Paul H. Hoeft on January 2, 1922. It is a 'four season park' offering camping even in the winter.
- Presque Isle County Historical Museum (Rogers City)
- A list and link for state historical markers is at Presque Isle County.
- Memorial Day Weekend Open House including Afternoon of Arts & Crafts at Forty Mile Point Light
- Presque Isle County Fair, Millersburg, Michigan, last weekend in June
- Rogers City Nautical Festival, first complete weekend in August
- Rogers City Salmon Tournament, second weekend in August
- Posen Potato Festival, Posen, Michigan, first weekend in September
- Annual Great Lakes Lighthouse Festival—Four days in second week in October, Forty Mile Point Open For Tours All Four Days
The following can be accessed in Ocqueoc Township, MI
- The local newspaper, the Presque Isle County Advance, has served the area since 1878. The Advance made state wide news itself in February 2006, when it fell victim to a fire which also destroyed Big D's Pizza. Both businesses recovered, with Big D's moving to a new location and the Advance moving into a beautiful new structure 10 months after the fire.
- The Alpena News is the daily newspaper of record for much of northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
- Channel 4:WTOM-TV "TV 7&4" (NBC) (Cheboygan) (simulcasted in channel 7, Harrietta)
- Channel 6:WCML "CMU Public Television" (PBS) (Montmorency Township)
- Channel 8:WGTQ "ABC 29&8" (ABC) (Goetzville) (simulcasted in channel 29, Kalkaska)
- Channel 10:WWUP-TV "9&10 News" (CBS) (Goetzville) (simulcasted in channel 9, Tustin)
- Channel 11:WBKB-TV "Channel 11 News" (CBS) (Alpena)
Call Sign Frequency City Broadcast From WTLI 89.3 Bear Creek Township WPHN 90.5 Gaylord WCML 97.1 Alpena WFXD 92.5 Atlanta WKJZ 94.9 Hillman WLXT 96.3 Petoskey WRGZ 96.7 Rogers City WKLZ 98.9 Petoskey WHAK 99.9 Rogers City WMJZ 101.5 Gaylord WMKC 102.9 Indian River WGFM 105.1 Cheboygan WHSB 107.7 Alpena
Call Sign Frequency City Broadcast From WTCM 580 Traverse City WHAK 960 Rogers City WJML 1110 Petoskey
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ocqueoc Township, Michigan
- ^ Map of P.H. Hoeft State Park in PDF format
- ^ Overview of Hoeft State Park
- ^ Essay on Hoeft State Park
- ^ Forty Mile Point Lighthouse Society.
- ^ The Alpena News
Municipalities and communities of Presque Isle County, Michigan Cities Villages Townships Unincorporated
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Metz Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Moltke Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Rogers Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
North Allis Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Ocqueoc River — Origin Bismarck Township, Presque Isle County, Michigan Mouth Lake Huron at Ocqueoc Township, Presque Isle County, Michigan Basin countries United States Length 30 miles (48 km) … Wikipedia
M-68 (Michigan highway) — M 68 M 68 highlighted in red Route information … Wikipedia
Municipio de Ocqueoc (Míchigan) — Municipio de Ocqueoc Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
List of cities, villages, and townships in Michigan — This is a list of cities, villages, townships, some unincorporated communities, and some census designated places (CDPs) in the U.S. state of Michigan, arranged in alphabetical order. Michigan has 276 cities, 257 villages, 1,240 townships, and… … Wikipedia
List of county subdivisions in Michigan — The 83 counties of the U.S. state of Michigan are divided into the 1,529 county subdivisions listed below. Of these, 1242 are townships and 283 are incorporated places such as cities or villages. These distinctions are based on United States… … Wikipedia
List of townships in Michigan — This is an alphabetical list of townships in the U.S. state of Michigan. There are 1242 civil townships in Michigan s 83 counties. This list includes both general law townships as well as charter townships. Most of these townships (at least in… … Wikipedia