- Mario Magnotta
Mario Magnotta Born October 14, 1942
Pieve di Teco
Died January 4, 2009(aged 66)
Nationality Italian Occupation School janitor Known for Internet celebrity
He became an idol in Italy after several prank calls by some former students of the institute were circulated on the Internet.
Some years after the pranks took place (in 1986-1987), the pranksters digitized them and shared them on the internet. In time Mario Magnotta's fame spread all over Italy. The success on the website was principally due to the rage and the use of blasphemies by Mr. Magnotta, and to his "Aquilano dialect", the most important variant of Sabino dialect, considered the standard form of it which sounds very amusing to internauts. The phone jokes were on 3 topics:
- Two calls from Telefono Azzurro  regarding his daughter and his (invented) homosexual relationship with one of his coworkers.
- Some calls from a Mr. Bruno, pretending to be the new partner of his former wife, asking him money to maintain her.
- The most famous prank was about a washing machine Mario Magnotta really bought in 1981. A fake accountant, Mr. Bontempi, asked him, 6 years after the sale, to pay an installment of
ITL480,000. This and other calls from other subjects (one impersonating a manager of the San Giorgio Company of Milan) gave him the sensation of being framed in a fraud to the company made by Mr. Bontempi. In the last of his calls, Magnotta, in a burst of rage, said to Bontempi his most well-known (and unintentionally funny) quote: «Me iscrivo ai terroristi! »
After the fame on web (with the url www.magnotta.it), he was twice invited in some talk-shows on Italian television RAI, and suddenly invited in some local events dedicated to him. During a concert of Antonello Venditti in L'Aquila, Magnotta was invited by the singer on the scene, curious to know him. The Italian singer Simone Cristicchi  dedicated to him a verse of his song "L'Italia di Piero" (The Italy of Piero): <<Piero non rinuncerebbe mai alla lotta, e si iscrive ai terroristi come fa il Magnotta  >>
- ^ An italian association for protection of children
- ^ An italian electric appliances manufacturer washing machines
- ^ Translation from Sabino/Aquilano: I'm gonna subscribe to the terrorists!
- ^ Winner of 2007 edition of Festival di Sanremo
- ^ Translation from italian: Piero will never leave the struggle, and he "joins the terrorists" like Magnotta did
- ^ Text of "L'Italia di Piero"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mario (given name) — Mario is the Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Greek form of the Roman name Marius. The Portuguese version of the name is spelt Mário, while the Greek version is spelt Marios. Many notable people and characters are named Mario: Mario (entertainer) … Wikipedia
Deaths in January 2009 — Contents 1 January 2009 1.1 31 1.2 30 1.3 29 … Wikipedia
L'Aquila — Comune Comune dell Aquila Piazza Duomo … Wikipedia
Nancy Coover Andreasen — Born Lincoln, Nebraska Fields Neuroscience, Neuropsychiatry … Wikipedia