Mediaset S.p.A. Type Società per azioni Traded as BIT: MS Industry Media Founded 1978 (as TeleMilano) Headquarters Milan, Italy Key people Giuliano Adreani (CEO), Fedele Confalonieri (Chairman), Pier Silvio Berlusconi (Vice-Chairman) Products Free-to-air and subscription television broadcasting, television production Revenue €4.292 billion (2010) Operating income €815.5 million (2010) Profit €352.2 million (2010) Employees 6,285 (2010) Subsidiaries Mediaset España (50.1%), Endemol (as part of consortium) Website www.mediaset.it
Mediaset S.p.A., known as Gruppo Mediaset in Italian, is an Italian-based media company which is the largest commercial broadcaster in the country. Founded in the 1970s by former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi and still controlled today with a 38.6% stake by his family holding company Fininvest, the group competes primarily against the public broadcaster and market leader RAI, La 7, and News Corporation's Sky Italia.
Mediaset's headquarters are in Milan, Lombardy. Many of its studios are located in the Milano 2 area of Segrate, a municipality bordering Milan, where broadcasts of local station TeleMilano (now airing nationally as Mediaset's Canale 5) began in 1978. After merging with various local broadcaster to form the Canale 5 syndication, much production was moved to Cologno Monzese, where the infrastructure of the former Telealtomilanese was present. The company currently has three main television production centres, in Segrate, Cologno Monzese and Rome.
In addition to its domestic television interests, Mediaset also operates a series of news, entertainment and sport websites; holds 50.1% of the Spanish broadcasting firm Mediaset España Comunicación; and heads a consortium which owns the television production house Endemol.
Holdings in Spain are through Mediaset's 50.1% stake in Mediaset España Comunicación.
- Canale 5 (Italy)
- Italia 1 (Italy)
- Rete 4 (Italy)
- Telecinco (Spain)
- Cuatro (Spain)
- B92 (Serbia) (proposed)
Digital terrestrial television channels
- Boing: children channel (51% Mediaset, 49% Turner Broadcasting System)
- IRIS: TV series and movie channel
- La5: female-oriented (entertainment channel)
- Mediaset Extra: (Mediaset cult programs)
- Italia 2: male-oriented (entertainment channel)
- TG Mediaset: reply of all TG Mediaset
- For you: shopping and movie channel
- Canale 5 +1: time shifted version of Canale 5
- Canale 5 HD: HD version of Canale 5
- Italia 1 +1: time shifted version of Italia 1
- Italia 1 HD: HD version of Italia 1
- Rete 4 +1: time shifted version of Rete 4
- Rete 4 HD: HD version of Rete 4
- Mediaset Premium: pay-tv and pay-per-view service
- Digital+ (Spain) (Telecinco holds 22%)
- Mediaset Plus: pay TV on Sky Italia pay TV platform
- Mediaset Italia: international pay TV channel also available through Cable TV, and IPTV
Until 31 December 2005, there were four other encrypted satellite channels owned by Mediaset on SKY Italia: Duel TV, Happy Channel, IT Italia Teen Television, and MT Channel.
Europa 7 lawsuit
In January 2008, the European Court of Justice ruled that the TV frequencies used by Mediaset to broadcast Rete 4 were shared out unfairly. They should have been given to Europa 7, a competitor channel, the judges maintain, and Rete 4 should be broadcast via satellite instead. Although the Italian Council of State, the highest court on administrative matters, has confirmed that the Italian government should abide by this European ruling, Rete 4 continues its operation on analog frequencies and on DVB-T.
In 30 July 2008, Mediaset filed a lawsuit against Google for €500 million (US$779 million dollars) with the charges of copyright infringement. The company stated that 325 hours worth of material was uploaded to YouTube and the result was the loss of 315,672 viewing days and ad revenue.
SKY Italia lawsuit
On September 16, 2009, SKY Italia (fully owned by News Corporation) filed a lawsuit to the Court of Milan, Italy, against Reti Televisive Italiane and Publitalia '80 (both owned by Mediaset) for a violation of Article 82 of European Treaty that regulates free economic competition between companies, in particular for refusing to allow SKY Italia to purchase advertising on the three main Mediaset television channels (Canale 5, Italia 1 and Rete 4), exercising Article 700 of the Italian Civil Procedural Code who permit to require an urgent action. Mediaset has rejected the charge of antitrust violations, stating that in 2009 it had broadcast SKY Italia commercials 3107 times on its channels, whereas SKY Italia has always refused to broadcast Mediaset commercials.
- ^ a b c d "Annual Report 2010". Mediaset. http://www.mediaset.it/gruppomediaset/bin/76.$plit/Gruppo+Mediaset+-+Bilancio+2010+(versione+Deposito).pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- ^ "Offices". Mediaset. http://www.mediaset.it/corporate/sedi_en.shtml. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- ^ "Endemol to apply for de-listing after consortium takes 99.54 pct of shares". AFX News (Forbes). August 6, 2007. http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2007/08/06/afx3989002.html. Retrieved August 11, 2009.
- ^ Fonte, Giuseppe (May 31, 2008). "Italy court rejects Mediaset appeal to EU ruling". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSL3142399220080531.
- ^ Lawson, Stephen (July 30, 2008). "Mediaset Files EUR500 Million Suit Vs Google's YouTube". IDG (The New York Times). http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_852573C400693880002574960063ABD7.html. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- ^ "Italian Media Company Sues YouTube". Dow Jones Newswires (CNNMoney.com). July 30, 2008. http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200807301025DOWJONESDJONLINE000654_FORTUNE5.htm. Retrieved September 13, 2008.
- ^ "News Corporation’s Sky Italia Files Lawsuit Against Mediaset Companies For Antitrust Violations". News Corporation press release. September 16, 2009. http://www.newscorp.com/news/news_427.html. Retrieved September 16, 2009.
- ^ "Sky porta Mediaset in tribunale" (in Italian). Il Sole 24 Ore. September 17, 2009. http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/SoleOnLine4/dossier/Tecnologia%20e%20Business/digitale-terrestre/copertura-broadcasting/Sky-Mediaset-tribunale.shtml?uuid=79bf94d0-a356-11de-9cb7-ea7a81dfc3bd&DocRulesView=Libero. Retrieved September 17, 2009.
- ^ "Mediaset respinge accuse infondate del concorrente SKY". Mediaset Group press release. September 16, 2009. http://www.mediaset.it/corporate/salastampa/2009/comunicatostampa_5162_en.shtml. Retrieved September 16, 2009.
- TGCOM, an Italian news website owned by Mediaset
Mediaset SubsidiariesReti Televisive ItalianePubliespaña · Digital+ (22%) · CV Network (28,3%)Publitalia '80 · Endemol Television channelsItalyFree to AirPay televisionJoi · Mya · Steel4 · Premium Crime · Premium Cinema7 · Premium Cinema Emotion · Premium Cinema Energy · Premium Cinema Comedy · Studio Universal Premium4 · Discovery World Premium · BBC Knowledge Premium · Disney Channel Premium · Disney Junior Premium · Cartoon Network Premium · Premium Calcio · Premium Moto GP · Premium Extra 1 · Premium Extra 2SpainFree to Air Defunct assetsTele 5 · La Cinq · MT Channel · Happy Channel · Duel TV · Italia Teen Television · Comedy Life Television in Italy Terrestrial digital (free)MediasetTelecom Italia MediaGruppo Editoriale L'EspressoSwitchover MediaK2 • FrisbeeInteractive GroupTelevision Broadcasting SystemRetecapri • Neko TV • Radio Capri TelevisiON • Capri StoreReal TimeOther Terrestrial digital (pay) Satellite television (free)Tivù Sat Satellite television (pay)Sky Italia IPTV (pay)
A2A · Ansaldo STS · Assicurazioni Generali · Atlantia · Autogrill · Azimut Holding · Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena · Banca Popolare dell'Emilia Romagna · Banca Popolare di Milano · Banco Popolare · Buzzi Unicem · Campari Group · DiaSorin · Enel · Enel Green Power · Eni · Exor · Fiat · Fiat Industrial · Finmeccanica · Fondiaria-Sai · Impregilo · Intesa Sanpaolo · Lottomatica · Luxottica · Mediaset · Mediobanca · Mediolanum · Parmalat · Pirelli · Prysmian · Saipem · Snam Rete Gas · STMicroelectronics · Telecom Italia · Tenaris · Terna · Tod's · UBI Banca · UniCredit
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mediaset — S.p.A. Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN IT0001063210 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mediaset — Création 1993 Dates clés 1978 : création de TeleMilano Fondateurs Silvio Berlusconi … Wikipédia en Français
Mediaset — es una empresa italiana dedicada a la comunicación televisiva, que cotiza en la Bolsa italiana y está controlada por el Grupo Fininvest, propiedad de Silvio Berlusconi. Está presidida por Fedele Confalonieri y su Vicepresidente es Pier Silvio… … Wikipedia Español
Mediaset S. p. A. — Mediaset S. p. A., italienischer Medienkonzern, Fininvest S. p. A … Universal-Lexikon
Mediaset España Comunicación — Tipo Empresa privada Fundación 2011 … Wikipedia Español
Mediaset Extra — Launched November 26, 2010 Owned by Mediaset Language Italian Availability … Wikipedia
Mediaset Italia — Launched 2009 Owned by Mediaset Country Italy Broadcast area Europe North America Sister channel(s) … Wikipedia
Mediaset Premium — is an Italian digital terrestrial television service provided by Mediaset. It provides pay tv and pay per view (only for football matches) services through use of a smart card. Contents 1 History 2 Packages 2.1 Main Packages … Wikipedia
Mediaset Italia (Canada) — Mediaset Italia Mediaset Italia logo Launched June 2010 Owned by Telelatino Network Inc. Corus Entertainment (50.5%) Italo Rosati (16.5%) Romeo Di Battista (16.5%) Joseph Vitale (16 … Wikipedia
Mediaset Premium — Mediaset Premium, también conocida como Premium, es una plataforma televisiva de pago para la televisión digital terrestre, destinada al mercado de Italia y propiedad de la empresa Mediaset. Es el principal operador privado de TDT en el país y la … Wikipedia Español