- Timeline of Jainism
Jainism is one of the oldest religions of India. We do not know exactly when it was founded. The Jains themselves say that Jainism has existed since eternity and it had like the Jain universe no beginning and would have no end. Most of the saints ofJainism belonged to remote ages, millions of years ago. [Roy, Ashim Kumar. "A history of the Jains", New Delhi, Gitanjali Publishing House, 1984]
*ca. 9th century BC:
Parshva, 23rd Tirthankarof Jain tradition, and at the same time the earliest figure of Jainism considered historically datable.
*ca. 6th century BC:
Mahavira, 24th and last Tirthankar.
*5th century BC:
*d. 507 BC:
Ganahar Sudharma Swami
*d. 357 BC:
*2nd century BC:
Navakar Mantraepigraphically attested in Maharashtra
*5th century AD: first mention of the
* 1658: Digambara Jain Lal Mandir temple in Delhi built.
* 1868 Jain temple in Mumbai
* 1880s: reform movement of
* 1893 -
Virachand Gandhiparticipates in Chicago's World Parliament of Religions& Won Silver Medal.
* 1904: Jain temple at the
Louisiana Purchase Exposition
*1927: Madras High Court in Gateppa v. Eramma and others recognizes "Jainism as a distinct religion"
* 1970s: significant presence of
Jainism in the United States
* 1976: In Arya Samaj Education Trust, Delhi & Others v. The Director of Education, Delhi Administration, Delhi & Others (AIR 1976 Delhi 207), the Court referred to
Heinrich Zimmer's "Philosophies of India" describing Jainism as "a heterodox Indian religion". and J. N. Farquhar's "Modern Religious Movements in India" describing Jainism as "a rival of Hinduism".
* 1981: First Jain convention in Los Angeles
* 1983: Formal organization of JAINA (Jain Associations in North America)
* 1990: Temple Pratishtha, The Jain Sangh Cherry Hill, New Jersey
* 1990: Temple Pratishtha, Jain Society of Metropolitan Washington
* 1991: Founding of Siddhachalam, the Jain tirtha
* 1993: Temple Pratishtha, Jain Society of Metropolitan Chicago
* 1995: Temple Pratishtha, Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton
* 1998: Temple Pratishtha, Jain Society of Greater Detroit
* 2000: Temple Pratishtha, Jain Center of Northern California (JCNC)
* 2000: Jain Vishwa Bharati Orlando
* 2005: the
Supreme Court of Indiadeclined to grant Jains the status of a religious minority throughout India, leaving it to the respective states to decide on the minority status of Jainis.
* 2006: the Supreme Court opined that "Jain Religion is indisputably not a part of the Hindu Religion." ("Para 25, Committee of Management Kanya Junior High School Bal Vidya Mandir, Etah, U.P. v. Sachiv, U.P. Basic Shiksha Parishad, Allahabad, U.P. and Ors., Per Dalveer Bhandari J., Civil Appeal No. 9595 of 2003, decided On: 21.08.2006, Supreme Court of India.")
Buddhism and Jainism
Timeline of Buddhism
History of Vag
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Timeline of Buddhism — Foundation to the Common EraSome sources give the date of the Buddha s birth as 563 BCE and others as 624 BCE; Theravada Buddhist countries tend to use the latter figure. This displaces all the dates in the following table about 61 years further… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Muslim history — Timeline of Muslim history: 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st century Gregorian calendar 6t … Wikipedia
Timeline of Ancient history — is the historical events in time of the documented ancient past from the beginning of recorded history until the Early Middle Ages.TimelinePrehistory*Early human migrations from the cradle of humanity and beginning cradle of civilization **Lower… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Eastern philosophers — This is a wide ranging list of philosophers from the Eastern traditions of philosophy, with special interest in Indo Chinese philosophy. The list stops at the year 1950, after which philosophers fall into the category of Contemporary philosophy.… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Indian history — This is a timeline of Indian history. It includes the history of South Asia (Indian subcontinent), especially the history of the regions now known India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.tone ageRock Shelters of Bhimbetka (9000 7000 BC)The Rock Shelters… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Goan history — This is a timeline of Goan history. It overlaps with the histories of other regions in South Asia, the Indian subcontinent, and colonial powers that influenced the region, including Portugal.Pre Portuguese rule in Goa (before 1510)Important… … Wikipedia
Indian religions — For religious demographics of the Republic of India, see Religion in India. badrinath temple,holy place for hindus … Wikipedia
Buddhism — Buddh redirects here, for the Race Circuit, see Buddh International Circuit Standing Buddha. One of the earliest known representations of the Buddha, 1st 2nd century CE, Gandhara … Wikipedia
History of India — This article is about the history of the Indian subcontinent prior to the partition of India in 1947. For the modern Republic of India, see History of the Republic of India. For Pakistan and Bangladesh, see History of Pakistan and History of… … Wikipedia
Religion and homosexuality — See also: LGBT matters and religion Conservative Christian protesters at a 2006 gay pride event in San Francisco. The relationship between religion and homosexuality can vary greatly across time and place, within and between different religions… … Wikipedia