- Berlin Charter Township, Michigan
Berlin Charter Township, Michigan — Charter township — Coordinates: Country United States State Michigan County Monroe Area – Total 37.1 sq mi (96.2 km2) – Land 32.1 sq mi (83.1 km2) – Water 5.1 sq mi (13.1 km2) Elevation 587 ft (179 m) Population (2000) – Total 6,924 – Density 215.8/sq mi (83.3/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) Zip codes 48117, 48134, 48166, 48179 FIPS code 26-07720 GNIS feature ID 1625924
Berlin Charter Township is a charter township of Monroe County in the U.S. state of Michigan. At the 2000 census, the township population was 6,924. Berlin Charter Township was organized from the northern portion of previously established Frenchtown Charter Township, and the township boundaries has been in place since 1867. As part of the Monroe Metropolitan Area, the township is also classified as part of the much larger Metro Detroit region.
The Pointe Mouillee State Game Area is located within Berlin Charter Township. The township contains two listings on the National Register of Historic Places. The Detroit River Light is within the township's water boundaries, although the station is under the jurisdiction of the United States Coast Guard. The Jefferson Avenue-Huron River Bridge spans the Huron River, connecting Berlin to Brownstown Charter Township in Wayne County. The eastern portion of the township along Lake Erie is served by Jefferson Schools, while the rest of the township is served by Airport Community Schools.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 37.1 square miles (96 km2), of which, 32.1 square miles (83 km2) of it is land and 5.1 square miles (13 km2) of it (13.60%) is water.
The township is bordered on the south by Frenchtown Charter Township and by Ash Township on the west. Most of the northern border of the township is the Huron River, with a small portion bordering Huron Charter Township in Wayne County. Berlin Charter Township also borders the city of Flat Rock, which has boundaries in both Monroe and Wayne County. As an incorporated city, the tiny portion of Flat Rock that extends into Monroe County is administered separately from Berlin Charter Township. On the other side of the Huron River, the township is bordered by Wayne County's Brownstown Township, Rockwood, and Flat Rock.
Interstate 75 and U.S Route 24 (known locally as Telegraph Road) run through Berlin Charter Township. Interstate 75 has two interchanges in the township: exit 21 at Swan Creek Road in Newport and exit 26 in South Rockwood. The original Dixie Highway once ran through the township, and the current roadway is known as North Dixie Highway. Jefferson Avenue runs south into Berlin Charter Township, where its southern terminus is at an intersection with North Dixie Highway. Locally, Jefferson Avenue is known plainly as U.S. Turnpike Road, and it changes names to West Jefferson Avenue after leaving the township to the north past the Huron River.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,924 people, 2,511 households, and 1,923 families residing in the township. The population density was 215.8 per square mile (83.3/km²). There were 2,654 housing units at an average density of 82.7 per square mile (31.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.11% White, 0.49% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.58% from other races, and 1.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.43% of the population.
There were 2,511 households out of which 35.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.7% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 18.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 106.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $57,403, and the median income for a family was $64,071. Males had a median income of $48,431 versus $27,568 for females. The per capita income for the township was $23,898. About 2.9% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 5.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Estral Beach is a village in the southeastern most portion of the township along Lake Erie. As a village, Estral Beach has some autonomy but is still under the control of the township. The population of the small village was 486 at the 2000 census.
- Newport is an unincorporated area centered at in the southwest portion of the township. As an unincorporated area, Newport has no legal boundaries or demographic statistics of its own. Newport contains its own post office, and most locations in Berlin Charter Township use Newport as a mailing address. The areas included in the Newport community extend into Frenchtown Charter Township to the south and also includes the Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station.
- South Rockwood is a village located in the northern portion of the township along the border of Wayne County. With a population of 1,284, it is the largest incorporated community in the township. South Rockwood contains its own post office in the 48179 zip code.
- ^ Coryat, John (1996–2009). "48166 - Newport, Michigan". http://www.zipmap.net/zips/48166.htm. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Berlin Charter Township, Michigan
- ^ Frenchtown Charter Township (2007). "Frenchtown Charter Township History". http://www.frenchtowntownship.org/. Retrieved March 8, 2010.
- ^ The Detroit River Light is owned and operated by the United States Coast Guard and is therefore not under the jurisdiction of any local or state municipality. South Rockwood (or sometimes Rockwood) is listed as being the nearest city to the lighthouse, which is two miles (1.2 km) out in Lake Erie in the water boundaries of Berlin Charter Township near the mouth of the Detroit River.
- ^ Michigan Department of Information Technology (March 2008). "Monroe ISD public school boundaries". http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CGI-MonroeCISD_67836_7.pdf. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Newport, Michigan
Municipalities and communities of Monroe County, Michigan Cities Villages Charter
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Berlin Charter Township — Comté Comté de Monroe Superficie Tout compris d eau 96,2 km² 13,1 km² Localisation … Wikipédia en Français
Monroe Charter Township, Michigan — There is also Monroe township of Newyago County and Munro township of Cheboygan County. Monroe Charter Township, Michigan Charter township … Wikipedia
Frenchtown Charter Township, Michigan — Infobox Settlement official name = Frenchtown Township, Michigan settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin pushpin label position =left pushpin map caption =Location within the state of Michigan… … Wikipedia
Berlin Township, Michigan — Berlin Township is the name of the following places in the U.S. state of Michigan: *Berlin Township, Ionia County, Michigan *Berlin Township, St. Clair County, Michigan *Berlin Charter Township, Michigan, Monroe County … Wikipedia
China Township, Michigan — China Charter Township, Michigan Charter township … Wikipedia
Whiteford Township, Michigan — Township Township Fire Department … Wikipedia
Burtchville Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Dundee Township, Michigan — Township Location of Dundee Township within Monroe County … Wikipedia
Milan Township, Michigan — Township Location of Milan Township within Monroe County … Wikipedia
Clay Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia