- Clam Union Township, Michigan
Clam Union Township, Michigan — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Michigan County Missaukee Area – Total 36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2) – Land 35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2) – Water 0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) Elevation 1,142 ft (348 m) Population (2000) – Total 882 – Density 24.6/sq mi (9.5/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP codes 49632 (Falmouth)
FIPS code 26-15900 GNIS feature ID 1626084
- Falmouth is an unincorporated community in the northwest of the township at  It began as a lumbering settlement and was first known as "Pen Hook". A post office named Falmouth was established on December 18, 1871, with Eugene W. Watson as the first postmaster. In 1873, Falmouth nearly became the county seat, losing to Reeder (now Lake City) by one vote. John Koopman built a store in 1879, and in 1881 bought the village plat, along with its saw, shingle and grist mill. The Falmouth post office, with ZIP code 49632, also serves portions of northern and eastern Clam Union Township, as well as all of Holland Township to the east, and portions of Butterfield Township to the northeast, Aetna Township to the north, and smaller areas in Reeder Township to the northwest and Riverside Township to the west.
- Prosper is an unincorporated community in the northern part of the township at  A post office operated from July 5, 1901 until May 31, 1914. 
- Vogel Center or Centre, is an unincorporated community in the township at  It was named for John Vogel, a the first settler in the township. A post office opened in his store on February 25, 1879, with Arie de jong as the first postmaster. The office was discontinued on May 31, 1914. 
- The city of McBain is to the southwest and the McBain post office with ZIP code 49657 also serves a portion of central Clam Union Township.
- The village of Marion is to the south-southwest in Osceola County, and the Marion post office with ZIP code 49665 also serves an area in southwest Clam Union Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93 km2), of which, 35.8 square miles (93 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (0.56%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 882 people, 311 households, and 238 families residing in the township. The population density was 24.6 per square mile (9.5/km²). There were 473 housing units at an average density of 13.2 per square mile (5.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.53% White, 0.23% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.68% from other races, and 0.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.25% of the population.
There were 311 households out of which 40.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.84 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the township the population was spread out with 33.2% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 18.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 95.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $35,542, and the median income for a family was $36,793. Males had a median income of $30,078 versus $20,547 for females. The per capita income for the township was $13,542. About 7.7% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.2% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clam Union Township, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Falmouth, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Falmouth Post Office
- ^ a b c Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- ^ 49632 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Prosper, Michgian
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Prosper Post Office (historical)
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Vogel Center, Michigan
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Vogel Center Post Office (historical)
- ^ 49657 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- ^ 49665 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
Municipalities and communities of Missaukee County, Michigan Cities Townships
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Municipio de Clam Union (condado de Missaukee, Míchigan) — Municipio de Clam Union Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Butterfield Township, Michigan — Merritt, Michigan redirects here; there is also Merritt Township, Michigan, in Bay County. Butterfield Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
List of cities, villages, and townships in Michigan — This is a list of cities, villages, townships, some unincorporated communities, and some census designated places (CDPs) in the U.S. state of Michigan, arranged in alphabetical order. Michigan has 276 cities, 257 villages, 1,240 townships, and… … Wikipedia
List of county subdivisions in Michigan — The 83 counties of the U.S. state of Michigan are divided into the 1,529 county subdivisions listed below. Of these, 1242 are townships and 283 are incorporated places such as cities or villages. These distinctions are based on United States… … Wikipedia
List of townships in Michigan — This is an alphabetical list of townships in the U.S. state of Michigan. There are 1242 civil townships in Michigan s 83 counties. This list includes both general law townships as well as charter townships. Most of these townships (at least in… … Wikipedia
Missaukee County, Michigan — Location in the state of Michigan … Wikipedia
Aetna Township, Missaukee County, Michigan — There is also Aetna Township, Mecosta County, Michigan. Aetna Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
West Branch Township, Missaukee County, Michigan — There are other West Branch Townships in Michigan. West Branch Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia
Holland Township, Missaukee County, Michigan — There is also Holland Charter Township, Michigan in Ottawa County. Holland Township Township … Wikipedia
Norwich Township, Missaukee County, Michigan — There is also Norwich Township, Newaygo County, Michigan. Norwich Township, Michigan Township … Wikipedia